[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mushy rice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: bowl-of-rice1.jpg (92 KB, 600x515) Image search: [Google]
bowl-of-rice1.jpg
92 KB, 600x515
I just got a rice cooker, tried cooking some rice, followed the directions exactly, and ended up with mushy soggy rice.

what the fuck am I doing wrong? how do I get good rice like pic related?
>>
Add less water, it even says it on the instruction manual.
>>
cooker either fucked or you used too much water.

make sure you add the rice FIRST and then the water in accordance with buoyancy motherfucker
>>
every rice cooker i've seen has clear lines on the inside of the vessel indicating where to fill the water up to, make sure to use those
>>
Throw the cooker out and learn to cook rice.

My Chinese friend was amazed when he saw me cook rice on the stove. It came out perfectly. He asked me how I learned. Not even his parents can do that. Chinese people don't know how to cook rice anymore. I'd be ashamed to be so ignorant.
>>
>>7799104
I did that and it still fucked up
>>
>>7799123
Well you boil it. Use non-poison rice too so it isn't sewer water. It's hard to fuck up if you check the firmness.

I bet thousands you were just using unenriched rice.
>>
What's even a good one?

I don't want to buy all-in-one junk. Just a simple decent rice cooker.
>>
Did you wash thoroughly and use equal parts water and rice?
>>
>>7799130
Well try a bit less water next time. It's a process, and might take a few times to get it right.

Also, remember to rinse the water beforehand to get the excess starch off.
>>
>>7799077
measure out 1-2 cups of rice

rinse the rice 2-5 times in clean cold water

drain

add rice to cooker

add water to the fill line for appropriate # of cups

press cook and don't touch it until it's done

you cannot possibly fuck up rice
>>
>>7799997
How do you rinse water?
>>
>>7799077

Do it again, but take pictures of every step.
>>
>>7799123
A proper rice cooker (IE a Japanese one with a locking lid) will cook rice much better than perfectly cooking it on the stove. This is a simple truth. If you're making rice more than once a week it just doesn't make sense to cook it on the stove when you get convenience, speed, and a superior product from a rice cooker.
>>
>>7800529
Why do these rice cookers cost 5x more than the ones on Amazon?
>>
>>7800541
because the cheap american rice cookers are just electric pots you're overpaying for but the Japanese ones steam the rice instead of boil it and have internal sensors that monitor how cooked the rice is vs. the electric pots that just turn on and off
>>
>>7800541
because they're very good.

zojirushi units can reliably and consistently bake, steam, slow cook, make oatmeal and congee, etc

that may be beyond your requirements but they are a good investment for most asian families.
>>
>>7800233
just run cold water on it until the water runs clear-ish...
>>
>>7800529
rice already takes less than half an hour to make on the stove, I do it pretty much everyday
I'm not a good cook, but isn't that already really fast compared to most recipes? I really don't see how spending $100 on a rice cooker is a good thing unless you have money to throw away
also please define superior for rice standards, my rice ends up looking like the one on OP after I take it out of the pot
>>
>>7800574
I was making fun of the fact you said "rinse the water" instead of rising the rice
>>
>>7800613
Rinsing*
>>
>>7800549
>>7800557
I'm on a site for the Zojirushi models. Some steam, some have some "premium taste" thing which apparently also involves steaming.

But then also all of the Zojirushis listed there are the lower power "fuzzy logic" ones use a normal heating element instead of using induction.

They also take 3-4x longer than using a pot on the stove and I'm not sure if the (bigger) cookers with more "features" will even do a single cup of rice.

So are they just £250 steamers with timers? The electronics seem disproportionately expensive for what they are. I'm reminded somewhat of those £100 graphical calculators.
>>
>>7800557
Do they have any without displays that look like they were designed for children?
>>
>>7800623
>They also take 3-4x longer than using a pot on the stove

You've got to be kidding. Rice takes about the same amount of time to cook in either setting. Though the models capable of pressure cooking will be faster than a normal pot on the stove.
>>
>>7800625
I'm actually Japanese shit fucker

I'm not a weeaboo

Also that was a Swype error, it should have read as rinsing
>>
there comes a time when you must ask yourself what you are doing with your life. Stop eating rice, and start living large. Eat wheat.
>>
You probably added too much water. My cheap rice cooker has three different water level markers depending on how much rice you put it.
>>
>>7800759
I like my steak and potatoes as much as the next guy but rice is nice.
>>
less water
>>
>>7800778
>steak and potatoes are wheat
>>
>>7800787
Do you live off of wheat or something?
>>
>>7800798
The guy said eat wheat
The response was about liking steak and potatoes
>>
>>7800806
>not eating a bread bowl shaped like a tater
>>
>>7799077
>mushy soggy rice.

throw in a couple of cell phones and this will absorb the extra water
>>
>>7799077
You most likely forgot to wash the rice.
>>
File: 1466020793176.png (479 KB, 613x613) Image search: [Google]
1466020793176.png
479 KB, 613x613
>>7800815
>>
>>7800529
>A proper rice cooker (IE a Japanese one with a locking lid) will cook rice much better than perfectly cooking it on the stove. This is a simple truth.
Just because you're bad at making rice anon.

Seriously OP don't buy a fucking rice cooker just do it on the hob and practice. It's very simple.
>>
>>7799130

What kind of rice did you cook? Most asian rice cookers are geared towards washed short grain white rice. Using long-grain fucks things up, and you'll have to go to the manual or the manufacturer's website for directions on how to cook long-grained rice.

Alternatively buy short grained white rice and stop eating long grained rice.
>>
>>7799077
What sort of rice are you using? can you give us the the brand and type of rice if possible
>>
>>7799077
Wash your rice from powder and shit, boil some fucking water(don't matter how much), throw some salt and fucking throw rice in it - it will be fucking ready in like 10 minutes - just don't forget to check it. I don't fucking know how you can fuck rice up or why the fuck would you need a rice cooker for literally noodle tier cooking...
>>
>>7800815
Underrated.
>>
>>7801274
Stop talking out your ass, theres a lot of studies proving you wrong.
>>
>>7800634
Tiger makes a good one
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>7800754
You mean "rinse in water" surely

As for the OPs question take the rice cooker back if you're following the instructions and it doesn't work

I bought a $10 USD Rival rice cooker from Walmart. It doesn't ever stop cooking but I can tell when the rice is ready.
>>
What do you guys use for seasoning rice? I usually only use salt and maybe garlic/onion
>>
So how do I make rice on the stove? That shit always comes out mushy there. How much water per cup of rice? And is it different for brown rice?
>>
>>7803729
Put one and a half of water per cup of rice
Fry the rice a little bit before putting water in, use a small amount of oil and put seasonings after the water is in
>>
What kind of rice are you using?
>>
>>7803729
>And is it different for brown rice?

IT's different for all sorts of kinds of rice. Long grain, short grain, basmati, etc, they all take different water ratios.
>>
>>7803708
Good rice doesn't need seasoning.
>>
>>7803729
use a longer grain of rice
prepare like the directions state
take the lid off when all the water has been absorbed to let it cool
if that doesn't work you used too much water
for longer grains like jasmine, you'd use a ration for rice to water of 1:1.5 or 1:2 if you want it slightly stickier
>>
>>7799077
anon the general rule of rice is one cup of water for one cup of rice
>>
>>7803902
Watt
It's one cup rice to one and a half water for most rice.
2 to 1 for brown rice.
No rice is 1 to 1
>>
>>7803922
Short grain is 1 to 1
>>
>>7803933
Not sushi rice, it's 1 to 1.5
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.