[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm going to be smoking beef brisket and I was stuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
So I'm going to be smoking beef brisket and I was stuck between hickory and mesquite (out of cherry and apple) I'm not picky and generally use hickory, but I decided to do some research because I almost never use beef either (all our BBQ's have been pork or poultry, beef isn't popular here)

Anyway, I came across a suggestion that said: Mesquite for beef, Hickory for pork, fruit bearing trees for poultry and fish.

Is there any validity to that?
>>
welcome to bbq pitt boys dot com
>>
I use hickory for muh beef. Turns out great evertim
>>
>>7797449
I was actually on a site called "the smoke ring" but as an ex chef I've never heard concept before it was always up to preference. I have a cherry tree so that's typically why I use cherry.
>>
>>7797432
I wouldn't use fruit wood for beef. Hickory and mesquite are both fine though. Personally I would do mesquite, especially since you haven't used it before
>>
I don't smoke foods, but I would assume you can just do whatever the hell you want.

Those recommendations are probably just regarding the strength of the smoke flavor in the meat at the end so they're tailored so that weaker smoke flavors are for milder meats.
>>
>>7797432
Mesquite is the strongest flavor-wise. Beef handles strong flavors well, pork less so, poultry and *most* fish even less (salmon a notable exception). Hence the advice you listed.
>>
>what is liquid smoke
>>
OP here, Thanks>>7797521
This is what I was looking to confirm
As for
>>7797558
I'm an ex chef, and that feels like cheating, or at least like using margarine instead of butter. But honestly when I want to add a bit of smoky flavor without using woodchips I just season with smoked paprika and/or other smoked spices I have around.
besides, what's better than the smell of thin blue smoke on a summer afternoon.

I may start a thread later about building a homemade smokehouse if anyone is interested.
>>
>>7797626
>what's better
Avoiding the cmo a little better.
>>
>>7797432

i usually use a mix of strong and mild flavor, and adjust the mix depending on what i'm smoking.

hickory, mesquite, pecan - those are strong flavored woods

fruitwoods, alder, maple - mild flavor

mesquite is too harsh all by itself. i would probably do 2 or 3 parts hickory to 1 part mesquite.
>>
Mesquite makes everything taste like creosote.
Hickory makes everything taste like ham.
Mix them. What can it hurt?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.