[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What texture is good pie crust supposed to be? I've never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 10844_tart_cranberry_pie.jpg (535 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
10844_tart_cranberry_pie.jpg
535 KB, 3000x2000
What texture is good pie crust supposed to be? I've never had pie, and all the pies I've made so far are soft on the bottom but crispy on the edges and top. They taste good, but I'm wondering if the bottom should be crispy.
>>
I wouldn't call it crispy, necessarily, but it shouldn't be soggy. It definitely should be flaky and golden brown underneath.

Are you baking the bottom by itself before adding the filling and top? Because you're supposed to.

Otherwise it's just going to steam with all that shit on top of it.
>>
looks like a really fine 'go'za OP
>>
I make my pies incredibly soggy because I like them that way. Just to cook things how you like them.
>>
>>7797555
More like a 'go 'zone if you ask me
>>
>>7797555
Does it give you a chubby to be so completely and habitually useless?
>>
>>7796292
>never had pie
>"my pies taste good"
How do you know they are good though?
>>
Tender, "flaky." If you have to use any more force with the side of your fork to cut the pie crust than you have to use for the actual pie interior, it's too hard.
>>
>>7798307
They taste good relative to other sweets I've had and worse pies I've made. I didn't say they tasted perfect or even great, and clearly I suspect they're flawed.
>>
Flaky, but still a little soft is perfect imo.
>>
>>7798317
>They taste good
>I've never had pie

Nigga do you even English?
>>
I really don't enjoy pie
>>
>>7796292
That depends entirely on the type of pastry used, there are several.
>>
>>7798358
Not everyone has English as a first language, I am sorry I do not. I suppose I should have said, 'I never had pie before my own.'
>>
Soggy bottom indicates a bad pie dish. Get non stick thin round dish for cakes. Dough should be flakey, crispy and golden. Food wishes has perfect dough recipe
>>
>>7798402
I have tried both stainless steel and glass pie plates of varying sizes, with the same result, having heard glass is the best option. Still they all turn out the same. I am beginning to suspect perhaps my oven is not the right temperature?
>>
Glass doesn't conduct heat like metal. Crispy botton can be done only with thin metal. 180°C works for me just fine. If you have a fan owen no problems there. Glass belongs in fridge not owen
>>
>>7798413

Par cook the bottom
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.