[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is organic food a scam?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: whole paycheck.jpg (77 KB, 1224x792) Image search: [Google]
whole paycheck.jpg
77 KB, 1224x792
Is organic food a scam?
>>
>organic food
>confirmed carbon content
>>
I don't think so, man.

I see it as a market for familiar agriculture to potentially thrive. When it comes to food production, people need to stop worrying less about those superficial philosophical crap and look at big industries and basically the money game, of course directly linked to the quality of food, social status and that kinda thing.

Now, what do you exactly mean by scam?
>>
Mostly, yeah, in the same way advertising is. They try to tell you that their foods aren't genetically modified, but all of our food has been modified genetically, just not always in a lab. They try to tell you their food is organic but so is the food you buy at the grocery store that doesn't come in a box. They're just filling your head with shit but the food is still fine.
>>
File: rkj56xhkmw56ksr.jpg (96 KB, 436x340) Image search: [Google]
rkj56xhkmw56ksr.jpg
96 KB, 436x340
As someone who picks grapes out of superstore dumpsters and sells them as organic at farmers markets, I can 100% guarentee organic foods are NOT a scam. Also If you visit your local farmers market be sure to check out the grapes, they have some really healthy home-grown products for sale.
>>
>>7793324

"scam" may be too strong of a word. It seems to me that many people (and companies) push organic food as vastly healthier than non-organic food. It also seems to me that organic food is about twice as expensive.

For example, I have a friend whose idiot girlfriend always talks about eating healthier but constantly throws the descriptor "organic" in when she's talking about eating right. My friend is moving in with this girl and it seems like they're going to be spending a lot more money if they're buying organics. It also seems to me that this state of mind has been pretty common lately and my impression is that more people are spending more money on something without any benefit.

Sure, you can compare a shitty grocery store tomato with a heirloom garden tomato and see clearly which is better. But isn't the issue that one is mass produced for a shelf life, appearance, etc, and the other was grown for taste? I'm not clear whether organic/non-organic has any bearing on the taste or quality of the food.
>>
File: lawfulevilparenting.jpg (43 KB, 510x336) Image search: [Google]
lawfulevilparenting.jpg
43 KB, 510x336
>>7793307
pretty much. see the following

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4bi60alZU
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

now eating invasive species? thats legit.
>>
>>7793307
It's better than processed, yes.
>>
>>7793356
Organic is about way more than GMOs, cunt.
>>
>>7793357

It's still processed. It's just done in a different manner. Pesticides are still involved, just different ones.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/
>>
>>7793361
Ah, the industry's definition of "organic".

I was speaking more in terms of the literal definition.
>>
>>7793307
This organic pesticide gave farmers Parkinson's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotenone#Parkinson.27s_disease
>>
>>7793364

>literal definition

what does that mean? if you're buying food, you're buying groceries that adhere to the industry's definition. You can grow your own food and call it what you want, but how many people have the ability to non only grow their own food but ensure it is grown to a strict standard?
>>
>>7793375
>what does that mean?
It means he's an idiot.
>>
yes, obviously
>>
Lower quality and higher price thanks to effective shady marketing?
Sounds like a textbook scam
>>
>>7793360
no, it pretty much is entirely about gmos. cunt.
watch the fucking video. read the fucking link.
>>
>>7793364
>I was speaking more in terms of the literal definition.
What?
Organic is and always has been an industry marketing term.
The real definition of the word organic has literally nothing to do with farming techniques and has to do with the carbon content on something
>>
No

Whole Foods' problem is that they sell a bunch of pretentious processed crap to yuppie scum.

I go to Whole Foods every so often to order a cake or get pizza for lunch. In the fridge case section i saw something called "paleo-bread". which said it was required to be kept inside a fridge.
>>
>>7793405
Wow, congratulations.
>>
>>7793405
>pretentious processed crap to yuppie scum.
Thats literally "organic" food's thing, there is nothing else to it
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.