[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have about 5kg/9lbs of lemons that are slowly going bad. What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Ice_cream_maggi.jpg (30 KB, 440x555) Image search: [Google]
Ice_cream_maggi.jpg
30 KB, 440x555
I have about 5kg/9lbs of lemons that are slowly going bad. What's the best way to extract the juice and store it?

I have no canning equipment so was planning to just remove the skin and throw the flesh into a food processor then run the final product through a seive and some muslin.

Is there an easier/better way to do it than above? I would prefer not to cut each lemon in half and squeeze it.

If I just put the juice in a bottle in the fridge how long can I expect it to last?

Thanks in advance tbqh famalam
>>
File: omg_hackers_or_cyber_police.png (430 KB, 1024x540) Image search: [Google]
omg_hackers_or_cyber_police.png
430 KB, 1024x540
Pls respon
>>
>remove the skin
And pith. It's important you remove as much pith as possible
>and throw the flesh into a food processor then run the final product through a seive and some muslin.
That's how I do it if there are no seeds. Like pith, lemon seeds can ruin your juice because they bring an unwelcome bitterness.

I recommend you grate the skin first to remove zest. Zest dries wonderfully.

A second recommendation: turn at least one of them black and dry it out. Black lemon/lime is a pretty common cooking ingredient in the gulf areas (both Persian and Oman), Yemen and Ethiopia. It has an odd smokiness to it and a sweet-tart flavour unlike fresh lime/lemon.

Finally, as for storage, pour the juice into ice trays, freeze, remove and store in a vac-sealed bag or zip-top freezer bag. One cube, depending on the size of your tray, will vary between 1-2 tbsp in size.

>If I just put the juice in a bottle in the fridge how long can I expect it to last?
Depends. If you cook and sweeten (essentially, make it into lemon syrup), it can last quite some time in the fridge. Nearly indefinitely, if not indefinitely outright. Otherwise, its refrigerated shelflife will depend on just how far gone the lemons are already.
>>
okay so follow these simple steps:
1. Assume position
2. Lube up
3. Start shoving them into your ass one by one
4. Squeeze son
5. Acquire lemon juice
>>
File: 1451970438190.jpg (6 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1451970438190.jpg
6 KB, 240x240
>>7793210
Holy shit thanks dude. I had completely overlooked the ice tray thing. Will do that for sure after following your other tips.

Cheers, I really appreciate it.

>>7793211
Thanks anon
>>
>>7793217
Welcome.
If you make any into syrup, remember that it's essentially just instant liquid lemonade mix: add some to taste to a bit of ice water and you're good to go.

I just remembered another way to use up a lot of lemon juice and, unlike the other I mentioned, this one is shelf-stable at room temperature: citronette dressing. It's basically a vinaigrette, only using lemon juice in place of vinegar. Besides dressing salads, it's great for roasted, steamed and even fried fish, as well.
Basic recipe in volumetric ratios is 1:1:3:5 freshly grated garlic:prepared mild mustard (I prefer American-style mustard for this, but French is also nice if you can't get American):lemon juice:olive oil, with salt and dried parsley added to taste. This means that if you use three tablespoons of lemon juice, you'll need five tablespoons of olive oil and one each of mustard and garlic. The measurement used won't matter as long as the ratio is the same.
Just put all the ingredients save salt/parsley into a blender and blitz until you get an emulsion, then season to taste and add parsley.
The garlic, high amount of salt and the acidity will take care of the vast majority of microbes that can make it go off: what survives acidity will be killed off by garlic enzymes or by salt and vice versa and verse vice-a.

Enjoy your lemon bounty.
>>
>>7793210
>A second recommendation: turn at least one of them black and dry it out. Black lemon/lime is a pretty common cooking ingredient in the gulf areas (both Persian and Oman), Yemen and Ethiopia. It has an odd smokiness to it and a sweet-tart flavour unlike fresh lime/lemon.

That sounds awesome, how do i do that?
>>
>>7793699
There are two ways I know of. The one I do... they just kind of... do. On their own. I don't know how to explain it. Just forget a lemon in the back of the fridge. Believe it or not, it doesnt start to go fuzzy on me. Instead, it'll start to dry out and go brown outside, black inside. The lemon taste is concentrated and sweet with a slight tang, but not as tart as a fresh lemon. I don't know why it has somewhat of a smoky taste, though.
This is the flavour profile only if done in this method. The other way, quick-pickling, makes it taste more sour than sweet and adds a bit of saltiness, too.

To quick pickle, you juice a lemon or two, salt this juice a bit then soak the other lemons in it overnight. Alternately, you can use salted whey or just add some sour milk powder (which is already salted during production) to water to make the brine. I've also heard of chemically soured ones using cream of tartar, but I can't vouch for their taste or usefulness. Once quick-pickled, you just let them dry out on their own. They'll darken and shrink as they do. I've a few of them on hand right now, whole, and one broken up already (made a fish stew last week) if you'd like me to take pictures to show you what to expect.

I also hear that there's a way to do it by cooking the lemons somehow, but I've never done it so I can't say anything about the process or how it turns out.

They're used in stews, particularly ones with fish or chicken, and other heavily spiced, curry-like dishes.
>>
>>7793179
5kg is 11lbs
>>
>>7793952
awesome, i use indian lime pickle and preserved lemons quite often, but never heard of letting them go black. ill try both methods, thanks for the detailed answer!
>>
>>7794004
Welcome. Forgot to mention, in case you're unaware: when it comes to quick-pickling, the brine is always poured over the items meant to be pickle /while hot/.
I looked it up, and the cooked method involves boiling then baking the lemons, which sounds like a very quick way to do it, so I don't think it leaves enough time to really develop strong flavour.
>>
you can ferment the lemons to preserve them, although this changes the flavour somewhat and the texture massively.

slit the sides of the lemons vertically and squish them so the cuts open up, place them in a jar with 3% brine solution. If you have a lacto culture already going just use that, or you can use certain live yoghurts. After about 3-4 the insides will be soft and the texture of the skin will have changed completely.
fermented lemons can be used in curries, Moroccan dishes, chutneys or as an addition to cocktails.
>>
>>7794113
after about 3-4 weeks*
>>
>>7793179
How has no one suggested limoncello?
>>
>>7794035
you are the most helpful person ive encountered on this board, sure as hell hope youll be around whenever i have a serious question! Thx man, someone appreciates the effort!
>>7794113
Sounds cool, ive only ever fermented different kinds of kimchi, using salt and a a porridge of sweet rice flour/sugar/water, do you think thisll also work for lemons/ do you think the result differs much from just salting lemons in order to preserve?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.