[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me not hate flan.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10
File: DSC_0627crop.jpg (168 KB, 1653x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0627crop.jpg
168 KB, 1653x1224
Okay, so, flan looks really good. I mean, just look at it!

But it has the mouthfeel of boogers.

Does anyone even really even like flan? If so, do you have any tips on how to eat it/where to get it? I think the last time I had flan I'm pretty sure I got it at taco bell, so that may have been the problem.
>>
only latino/spanish people seem to enjoy it. Find a quality cuban bakery in your area and try again. Other than that....shrug.
>>
In my experience, nobody likes flan who didn't grow up with it. That's just how it is.

I grew up with it and I still don't like it very much. It's alright, I guess, but I've never been much of a sweets guy anyway, and custard doesn't do it for me. Once in a while I like it, but for the most part, eh.
>>
fry it in lard
>>
Get the asian flan packs from grocery stores or asian stores and eat em cold. Also stop psyching yourself out about comparing them to boogers. Just eat the food.
>>
do you only dislike flan or do you dislike custard in general op?
>>
File: flan.png (73 KB, 368x356) Image search: [Google]
flan.png
73 KB, 368x356
Just attack its elemental weakness OP
>>
>>7792796
it's not too dissimilar to creme brulee desu, just slightly more bitter. tastes better when cooked with a bit of brandy.
>>
>>7792796
I fucking LOVE custard.
>>
>>7792797
these were my favorite enemy
>>
>>7792800
yeah I mean I dont know what to say man but I'm in a somewhat similar situation, I love custard but I can take or leave flan, dunno why the fuck you would get it at taco bell. Thats like getting a soufle at a mcdonalds
>>
>>7792799
I appreciate the help but I know what flan tastes like
>>
I only like Vietnamese flan. The Mexicans and Filipinos make shit flan.

Take smaller bites.
>>
>implying boogers aren't scrumptious
>>
File: 1406566530608.jpg (25 KB, 473x473) Image search: [Google]
1406566530608.jpg
25 KB, 473x473
>mfw an american says FLAARN near me
>>
>>7792781
Eat flan until you like flan.

Alternatively, eat boogers until you like flan because that's way cheaper.
>>
File: Creme-Brulee.jpg (215 KB, 1440x956) Image search: [Google]
Creme-Brulee.jpg
215 KB, 1440x956
>>7792781

Flan is third-worlder creme brulee.
>>
>>7792928
Gross dude why the fuck is that "creme brulee" swimming in grease?
>>
>>7792799
>just slightly more bitter
wat
>>
>>7793024

Because that creme was brulee'd hours before the photograph was taken, and the dessicated burnt sugar has pulled water out of the custard below.
>>
>>7792781
I've tried it a few times, the texture is off putting if it doesn't have something crispy with it.

It's the same thing with pork fat/skin. My grandmother makes braised pork skin once in a while, and on its own it has a revolting texture but when it's spread on some crusty bread with some crunchy vegetables and vinegar, it's delicious.
>>
File: MGTOW candidate.jpg (58 KB, 556x313) Image search: [Google]
MGTOW candidate.jpg
58 KB, 556x313
I have never met anyone in real life that does not like flan.
So weird that people here are put off by the texture so much.
Is this an autism thing?
My favorite mexican restaurant is famous for their flan and everyone seems to lap it up.
>>
>>7793439
>Is this an autism thing?
>>
>mouthfeel
Such a retarded fucking word.
You meant texture.
>>
>>7793439
> they seem to lap it up
They wouldn't be in the restaurant if they didn't like the food silly.
Of course they lap it up. They ordered it so they must like it.
>>
>>7793508
No, texture and mouthfeel are two different things - surprisingly this cu/ck/ got it right.. The correct, scientific name for texture of food is mouthfeel. If you disagree you are a faggot.
>>
>>7792781
I hate flan. It's mostly, because I hate custard, because I hate eggs. So don't feel bad OP. You're not alone.
>>
>>7793743
>because I hate eggs
wat
>>
>2 cans evaporated
>2 cans condensed
>12 eggs
>best vanilla extract
>bake until firm
>pop in fridge
Best flan ever
>>
>>7793424
Hmmm... so if I spread flan on a graham cracker or something, it might be better?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (59 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
59 KB, 1920x1080
Fuck Flan!
Crème caramel!
>>
>>7792781
I hate flan
It has the look & consistency of fat that was just liposuctioned out of a fat girl
Custard, curd, creme brulee are all delicious to me though
>>
>>7793162
eggs are bitter
>>
>>7794924
>It has the look & consistency of fat that was just liposuctioned out of a fat girl

Weirdo.
>>
>>7794863
Yes, it's similar to why cream cheese cheesecakes have a graham cracker crust. Otherwise it's just a big mushy blob of sweet goo.
>>
>>7792799
flan is too eggy tasting to me in ways that other custards aren't, Idk
>>
>>7792781

Flan sucks.

Latinos, your deserts suck ass.
>>
Is pudim de leite what you are calling flan? Instead of getting these horrible flan mix in a box try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yJOQimuKuc
>>
File: ctcd.jpg (15 KB, 424x318) Image search: [Google]
ctcd.jpg
15 KB, 424x318
Oh, wait... you said help you not hate flan?
>>
File: chocoflan.jpg (39 KB, 550x333) Image search: [Google]
chocoflan.jpg
39 KB, 550x333
>>7792781
Add chocolate cake to it!!
>>
leche asada is the superior flan.
>>
File: IMG_20150817_150715.jpg (1 MB, 2019x2019) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150817_150715.jpg
1 MB, 2019x2019
My mother's Filipino recipe:

For the sauce:
1) Put 1/2 to 1 cup of white sugar in the mold and hold it over heat.

2) Caramelize that shit safely until it reaches a honey like color and viscosity.

3) Wait for the caramelized sugar to solidify and crack.

The mixture-
12 egg YOLKS, 2 cans of evap milk, 1 can of cond milk.

**Tip: do not beat eggs too hard because this causes bubbles upon the flan and that's generally not preferred**

Baking the whole thing:

1) Pour mixture into mold. Then put the mold into a bath of lukewarm water. If you put it in warm or hot water this could cook your flan, making it a flop.

**Avoid getting water from the bath into your mixture because this could also harm the flan**

2) Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until firm at the middle.

Serving it-

1) Warm a knife, then go around the edge of the flan.

2) Flip the mold over a huge ass plate or whatever you serve it on with god tier finesse.

3) Wa-la you've made Leche Flan.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.