[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, world.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
File: shoulder-of-lamb.jpg (243 KB, 928x550) Image search: [Google]
shoulder-of-lamb.jpg
243 KB, 928x550
>TL;DR personal favorite dish of your country or one you have visited

I just started cooking for myself recently (not grilling for once) being an 18 year old, lazy, life sucking piece of shit, and I have discovered two things:
>My mother cannot cook for shit, nevertheless I still love and appreciate her efforts
>Food has a much greater potential than I originally thought

Being a food loving Amerifag has its obvious problems, and I would like to know what foreign dishes I should try.
The first thing I cooked was spaghetti, which I fucked up the first two times, but eventually got right and loved. My second, last night, was goulash. Again, it was amazing.
Could you please recommend a personal favorite dish of your country or others? I'm very open minded and would like a challenge.
>>
File: gulas2.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
gulas2.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
A Czech favorite originating from Hungary, you should definitely be eating guláš.

I also recommend svíčková (braised beef with czech dumplings and cream sauce), holubky (stuffed cabbage rolls in tomato sauce), and kulajda (dill soup with sour cream, potato, and mushrooms).
>>
File: prgrid.jpg (1 MB, 906x906) Image search: [Google]
prgrid.jpg
1 MB, 906x906
Puerto Rican food is pretty interesting, like most Caribbean food it's hearty and filling with lots of unique island flavors. Mofongo has gained quite a reputation due to food television in the past few years. Arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas) is the perennial side to most PR meals, though we also eat white rice, rice with red or pink or black beans, and many other preparations. There is nothing on earth like a good pernil (roast picnic shoulder -- with lots of crispy chicharron). There's pasteles, kind of like tamales with a yuca-based masa instead of corn, and wrapped in banana leaves. Pastelón, best described as a sort of Caribbean lasagna made with ripe plantain slices instead of pasta, ground meat, and cheese. And there's the Latin favorite, sancocho, a hearty soup made with meat, corn, and lots of tubers. I like the PR version best but I also really like the Salvadoran and Panamanian versions I've tried.
>>
File: boeuf-bourguignon.jpg (112 KB, 750x507) Image search: [Google]
boeuf-bourguignon.jpg
112 KB, 750x507
>>7792688
How the fuck can you fuck up spaghetti ?

Also try cooking boeuf bourguignon. Done properly it's amazing
>>
I'm sorry, but spaghetti and goulash blew your mind? In that case, make some homemade macaroni and cheese using a bechamel sauce. Then read up on all "mother sauces" and blow your mind a second time.

Then, but some mole' sauce that comes in that god-fucking-foresaken glass jar and make some chicken mole'.
>>
>>7792700
>>7792746
Thanks guys

>>7792761
It was my first time cooking beyond the grill ever. Nobody ever taught me, I just did it. The first time I let the sauce cook too long which dried it out and I didn't cook the pasta enough. The second time I forgot to drain the beef.

>>7792791
What blew my mind was how well I could cook in comparison to what I previously had. I just always thought that dining out was 10x better than eating at home and nothing more was expected.
Either my entire family is the absolute worst at cooking or I am a prodigy. Neither would surprise me because my family is pathetic and I've always been a jack of all trades.
>Inb4 arrogance
>>
>>7792815
No, that's cool. But let me ask you this: how did you cook the spaghetti? Did you mix the noodles in with the sauce? Cause if you did, you're still missing out. The best method is to add the sauce on top of the noodles, with actual meatballs.

"Meat sauce" is for fagits.
>>
>>7792832
I left the noodles out. I admit I use meat sauce, I just haven't gotten around to making meatballs yet. I plan on it next time though.
>>
File: IMG_3374.jpg (203 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3374.jpg
203 KB, 800x600
>The first thing I cooked was spaghetti
I recommend that you look into Italian pasta dishes, I'm doing it and so far I've tried/learnt

>tagliatelle with pancetta, mushrooms and cream
>spaghetti alla carbonara (egg, cheese, pancetta)
>spaghetti with eggplant, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella
>rigatoni with salsiccia ragù and burrata
>different pesto sauces

The website I use is www.cucchiaio.it it's in Italian so I have to translate everything, but I've noticed that recipes in English are sometimes different, for example using Parmesan cheese instead of Pecorino to make carbonara.

An easy dish from my country, tortilla de patata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JceGMNG7rpU
>>
>>7792832
>best method is to add the sauce on top of the noodles

get a load of this faggot
>>
>>7792932
You are the least fanciest person in this thread. You eat spaghetti like a common tramp.
>>
File: 20150715-fried-chicken-22.jpg (240 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
20150715-fried-chicken-22.jpg
240 KB, 1500x1125
>>7792688
You need to learn to fry some chicken, anon. And not just flour-egg wash-flour, I mean buttermilk brine, seasoning, and some sides to go with it. Homemade mac-n-cheese with roasted red peppers and/ or stewed tomatoes. Country-style green beans. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Biscuits.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.