[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pickle discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: pickled_jars1.jpg (495 KB, 2928x2800) Image search: [Google]
pickled_jars1.jpg
495 KB, 2928x2800
Hello /ck/,

This is a thread specifically intended for the discussion of pickles without the use of off-topic, humorous, or otherwise distracting memes. I would be interested primarily in discussion lacto-fermented pickles, with which I am quite familiar, though not overly experienced. However, discussion of vinegar or otherwise fermented pickles is welcome and encouraged as well.

What pickles are you making these days, /ck/?
>>
Im pressure canning beans rn
fuck your pickles
>>
File: beets.png (162 KB, 316x300) Image search: [Google]
beets.png
162 KB, 316x300
>>7789415
Pressure canning is cool as shit too. I'd do it if I had a pressure canner. I can my pickled beets and eggs though.
>>
Did beef stew the other day.
>>
>>7789373
how do you go about lacto-fermentation and what do you use the resulting pickles in
i've never heard of it
>>
Is pickilng meat safe?
Corned pork and beef is gr8
>>
COOCH
>>
>>7789464
never heard of pickles
>>
>>7789464
It's basically fermenting via lacto-bacteria, which can tolerate a more saline environment than many other bacteria. It's a more traditional method of pickling than using vinegar, as it used to be more difficult to produce strong vinegar, and fermented pickles require only salt and water. Saurkraut is a well-known example. Most saurkraut from a US supermarket is just cabbage with salt and vinegar (which kills off bacteria), but the traditional method of making it is just slicing cabbage and layering and pounding it with salt in a crock. The bacteria are already present on the vegetable, and the salt creates an environment in which they thrive, out-competing potentially harmful bacteria. Lacto-bacteria are seen by many as being healthy and beneficial to digestion.
>>
>>7789464
Using acid like vinegar also works by keeping harmful bacteria from reproducing, but this will make sterile pickles rather than ones full of healthy bacteria. Lacto-pickles are probably a little more "tangy," and sometimes will be slightly bubbly from gasses produced by the bacteria. I usually pickle peppers in vinegar, but I prefer lacto-pickles for most others. I've done carrots, onion, watermelon rind, cucumbers, and saurkraut with good success.
>>
File: 1459864552656.jpg (2 MB, 4098x3456) Image search: [Google]
1459864552656.jpg
2 MB, 4098x3456
>>7789482
First thing I thought of as well
>>
>>7789771
ever pickle meat?
>>
>>7789790
holy shit, thanks for reminding me this, I laughed my sides off when thinking about this at work
>>
You should try csalamade, OP

It's hungarian sweet and sour pickle, made during the summer and eaten in winter via fermentation.

It consists of white summer cabbage as the body of a pickle, hot and sweet hungarian peppers, carrot, field cucumber and onions.

Grate and/or slice everything in thin slices, mix in tablespoon of salt and toss the veggies, let them sit for 2-3 hours softening up while giving a toss once and a while. Mix 1/4 cup of sugar into 3/4 cups of white vinegar, add seasoning you want into the syrup and pour it over the vegetables, tossing them well. Then cover the pot with cling wrap or cheese cloth, set aside to ferment in room temperature for about 24 hours before transferring the csalamade into containers of your choice, store upright in cool space.
>>
File: pickelfrenzy.jpg (9 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
pickelfrenzy.jpg
9 KB, 240x200
Bill worked in a pickle factory. He had been employed there for a number of years when he came home one day to confess to his wife that he had a terrible compulsion. He had an urge to stick his penis into the pickle slicer. His wife suggested that he should see a sex therapist to talk about it, but Bill indicated that he'd be too embarrassed. He vowed to overcome the compulsion on his own. One day a few weeks later, Bill came home absolutely ashen. His wife could see at once that something was seriously wrong. "What's wrong, Bill?" she asked. "Do you remember that I told you how I had this tremendous urge to put my penis into the pickle slicer?" "Oh, Bill, you didn't." "Yes, I did." "My God, Bill, what happened?" "I got fired." "No, Bill. I mean, what happened with the pickle slicer?" "Oh...she got fired too."
>>
>>7790216
Nice. I lol'd out loud.
>>
>>7789833
No.
>>
File: Snapchat-6537910137743640866.jpg (123 KB, 540x888) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6537910137743640866.jpg
123 KB, 540x888
>>7789373

my mom picked up these cool daikon radishes, they were great pickled
>>
>>7790749
Is your mom hot
>>
I lacto pickled cucumbers recently and wasn't thrilled. I was thinking they would be less sour and more crisp. I like claussens and half sours, but they were kinda limp and as sour as vinegar would be. Only ingredients were , distilled water, pickling salt, garlic, pickling spice. There also seemed to be a bit of a chemical taste I found unpleasant.

Any ideas?
>>
File: inlagd_sill-5280.jpg (28 KB, 385x327) Image search: [Google]
inlagd_sill-5280.jpg
28 KB, 385x327
i highly recommend trying some sill
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.