[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chefs of /ck/. So I'm currently a cook at I hope and plan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: ihop-kitchen.jpg (235 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
ihop-kitchen.jpg
235 KB, 2000x1125
Chefs of /ck/. So I'm currently a cook at I hope and plan to attend culinary school in the fall. I worked for a year at a fine dinning restaurant on garde and I was wondering if working high volume restaurants like I hope gives me an edge over other students coming out of culinary school. Pic related I hops kitchen layout
>>
>>7783406
I hop lol
>>
God damn, imagine the awesome meals you could make in that sweet kitchen. Hash browns errrday
>>
>>7783417
I get out of hand sometimes lol. I do have a new found love of flat tops after working here tho
>>
>>7783406
Wait, that's an ihop's kitchen?

that's actually mildly impressive
>>
>>7783406

had an extern work in our kitchen from CIA. he worked in a few places before including a breakfast joint and whatever. we also hired a new sous that year, she couldn't even poach an egg or cook one over easy. he was way better than our sous, overqualified, and he was a bro.

last i heard he's working for a great place in the nyc area, running the show
>>
>>7783440
>CIA

Bane?
>>
>>7783436
Hell yea dude. Well flip a 260 person dinning room 4 or 5 times in a 6 hour shift. Granted it only takes at most 2 mins to fire anything on our menu but we have to keep up
>>
Is that 4 flat tops?
A waffle maker at IHOP. I had no idea
>>
Those flat tops are fucking spotless, the whole place is. Do you have overnight cleaners or is this just the chefs working with the scrapers then a clean down at end or service?
>>
>>7783406
From a glance i thought it was denny's. But anyways im in the same spot you are OP but I got away from breakfast houses aka waffle house and denny's. I miss cooking at wafffle house tho but the one i was at was awful. I cook catfish now ;3
>>
>>7784173
The flat tops where I work look like that after close, the cooks give them a go over every night as part of the close.
>>
>>7784359
Ours is black. Doubt it came like that but who knows, maybe it is cast iron
>>
>>7783406
Professional chef here...

I worked in restaurants for about 7 years before I decided to sack up and attend culinary school. Honestly, I don't know if working in any one type of restaurant gives you an edge over anyone else.

When you first get out of school, you will get paid shit, make no mistakes. You will probably be given shitty tasks to work on. The best advice I can offer is to learn when to ask questions, learn when to keep your filthy nigger mouth closed, and learn as much as you can. Observe everything. Take mental note the way more experienced chefs are doing things. Be a fucking sponge, soak that shit in. Most chefs won't give two fucks where you worked at prior to culinary school.. .They will just view you as cheap labor they MIGHT be able to mold into something worthwhile.

Most kids just out of culinary school seem to have both a chip on their shoulder and delusions of grandeur. Don't be a nigger like that.
>>
>>7783406
nobody has an edge coming out of culinary school unless daddy is friends with the owner. Working a high volume place battle-hardens you against panicking during service, but its a whole new ballgame when you have to work fast AND put out quality.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.