[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was just given a pork shoulder. I have no fucking clue what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
So I was just given a pork shoulder. I have no fucking clue what to do with it. Any suggestions or ideas?

I don't have access to a slow cooker or dutch oven, which seem to be the usual tools for this. I do have a roasting pan though, and a large basic pot.
>>
>>7783242

grind it up and make sausage
smoke it
braise it (you don't need a dutch oven, a large basic pot will work)
cut it into slices, cure it, and make tasso (cajun ham)
>>
I was thinking about buying pork shoulder this week but I haven't spent the time looking for a recipe.

I was thinking about using my crock pot. Unfortunately it doesn't have any kind of latch on the handles. You just put the top on and leave. I was t sure if this would be sufficient for making a roast.
>>
>>7783258

I've never seen a crock pot with a latch on the handles. Why do you think that matters?

>>just put the top on and leave
Yeah, it's a crock pot. What did you expect?

>>making a roast
A crock pot does braises (low, slow cooking in a moist environment), not roasts (high heat, dry environment).
>>
>>7783266
Thanks for the clarification.

I don't know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>7783242
bone or no bone?
>>
>>7783351

No bone
>>
>>7783242
Marinate it
Put it in the oven at 450 F for about 20 minutes
Drop heat to 325, cook for about 3 hours
>>
There's some carnitas image I've seen on /ck/ a few times, always looked good. Anyone got it on hand?
>>
>>7783242
Put it in a slow cooker overnight with a bunch of beaner spices and water to make dank-ass carnitas
>>
>>7783379
>>7783383
this guys temperatures are a little high

I did this recipe a month or so back, still works even with a boneless cut like yours. Make sure you don't skimp on the salt. I'm used to cooking for one or two so I undersalted mine slightly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2419859/Food-special-Slow-cooked-smoky-pulled-pork-butt-chipotle-mayo.html
>>
>>7783242
Caritas my man
>>
>>7783242
>I don't have access to a slow cooker or dutch oven
all you need is a regular oven, roasting pan, and tinfoil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUbXrOoj2J8
>>
>>7783242
Slow cooker. Make a BBQ sauce mix and cover it in it. 12 hours. Pulled pork of the gods.
>>
>>7783610
he said in the OP he doesn't have access to a slow cooker. did you just see pork shoulder and get excited to share the most underdeveloped nondescript recipe you could
>>
Cha shu
>>
>>7783242
Just buy a slow cooker, it's about time anyway
>>
File: 1453825817332.png (21 KB, 270x321) Image search: [Google]
1453825817332.png
21 KB, 270x321
>>7783680
>recommending the go-to tool for people that don't know how to actually cook
>>
While a slow cooker is definitely more convenient, you can make pulled pork just fine in the oven, too. I used to do this before I bought a slow cooker when I wanted carnitas for tacos or bbq pulled pork.

Season it, wrap it in tin foil, and cook at about 300 degrees for 6 hours.

When it's done, shred it, then broil it for a bit.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 928x5977) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 928x5977
>>7783498
This?

I made this 2 weeks ago. Would definitely do again
>>
>>7783242
maiale al latte, nigga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx3hfaE1QMY

Carnitas would be a good choice too, but this is less labor-intensive.
>>
>>7783242
If fat is still on, score the fat, roasting pan with basic veg in the oven, deglaze with dark beer
super simple and staple all over europe
>>
make coppa
>>
>>7783785
I did this, took around 12 hours but god damn was it good. Should have used only 4 chipotles though. I used the whole can.
>>
Pork shoulder/butt is quite tough and needs a lot of time at a low heat

It makes fantastic casserole by itself or with lamb.
It also does great in curries, especially fatty/dairy ones
Whatever you do with it, add onions
>>
>>7783242
>So I was just given a pork shoulder.
Sometimes it seems daunting with a large cut, but if you cook them whole after a quick rub, they do alright. This is a cut that has quite of bit of marbled fat, which bastes it, but doesn't make it great for slicing, more like pulling or chunking up.

I would suggest a few knife-pricked holes down which you can stuff some garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil. Braise with some wine, or just add some water to the pan so the juices don't burn. Cover or not. Your call, just don't like the pan be completely dry. When adequately cooked and falling apart. Go ahead and chill it overnight if you wish. Defat the drippings, pull part and think of it like porketta, carnitas, or make a BBQ sauce. It's fine on its own as a main too.
>>
>>7784257
It's called gabagool
>>
>>7783242
boneless?
Char Siu.

Go to the store, get the following:
Grated Garlic
Grated Ginger
Chinese 5 Spice
Hoisin
Honey
Rice Wine (Sake or Mirin)
Salt
Brown Sugar
Soy Sauce
chili powder
sesame oil

Mix 1 cup Hoisin with 1 cup honey.
2 tsp five spice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp salt
3 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp garlic
2 tsp ginger

Add a couple pinches of chili powder and a tablespoon of sesame oil.

Now cut up your pork shoulder into 1" steaks. Make sure that each steak has a streak of fat on it. This is necessary.

Put the meat in the sauce and let it marinate overnight.

The next day, remove the meat and keep 2 cups of the marinade. Put it in a saucepan and simmer it until it thickens. Add a tablespoon of honey to it if needed. This will be a glaze.

Now, put your top oven rack AS HIGH AS IT WILL GO, and the bottom rack at the very bottom. Put a large, shallow pan in the bottom and fill it with a little water. Preheat to 350F.

Now, get some S shaped hooks and hang the meat over the pan on the top shelf. Lower the heat to 325 and set a timer for 25 minutes.

When the timer goes off, take your glaze and glaze each piece of meat, then let it cook for another 10-15 minutes, until it just barely starts to char on the edges.
>>
>>7784489
Oh, forgot, if you use mirin, use 2 tsp of brown sugar, if you use sake, use 3 tsp.

use a tablespoon of either wine.
>>
>>7784492

Pro tip: use beet juice in your char siu marinade for that vivid red color. Fuck red dye.
>>
>>7784511
you don't need to color it at all.
It's purely visual, and the meat will be naturally pink when cooked anyway.
>>
cut the pork into chunks
season with salt and pepper
brown the meat in vegetable oil, use a big pot
squeez out 2 oranges, put it into the pot and top it off with whole milk
add 2 bayleafs and a table spoon of cummin
simmer for about 2 houres, stiring occasionally
the meat should be very tender but not fall apart
take some of the fat from the pot and put it in baking dish
strain the meat and add it to the baking dish
broil it for 10 min on each site
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.