[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>out of money until the next pay period >can't buy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: 635779476750651323-IMG-7885.jpg (68 KB, 534x401) Image search: [Google]
635779476750651323-IMG-7885.jpg
68 KB, 534x401
>out of money until the next pay period
>can't buy or make myself anything to eat for work
>subsist solely on the plenty of free snacks at work

At least there's beer on tap I have access too.

What food or drinks does your workplace offer?
>>
Work should not have food. You're there to work, not eat.
>>
>>7782269
Coffee.

Learn how to budget, or stop being an alcoholic. One of the two.
>>
>>7782283
Okay, dad, I'll remember to come home this weekend
>>
I've never actually ran out of food money before, and as shitty as working a line cook job is, I can make virtually anything I want that isn't high end protein. I also often take home stuff that will get thrown out at the end of the night like mashed potatoes, pot pies that are already cooked and in the hot box, and often soup.

What kind of shitty job do you have that pays even less than doesn't pay a living wage and feeds you beer and snacks? (I also work in a brewpub (help out brewing part time) so beer isn't an issue).
>>
>>7782269
I'm retired (I'm not old). my house generally has all the food I want, I can go to the store if it doesn't.

you should try saving some of your paycheck so you dont wind up waiting for a few days with no money.
>>
>>7782288
Probably blew it on some overpriced tech gadget.
>>
One of the few bonuses working in the service industry, you never go hungry. Unless you're corporate.

>managed a bakery for 3 years, one loaf allowance per work day.
>worked the line in a few small diners, management would actually get annoyed if I didn't get my free lunch AND pack a dinner to go before shift ended.
>currently working a stall in my cities market. While few things are free, any other stall will charge me no more than half on produce, meat, dairy, prep'd foods. That means 50% off on all of my grocery shopping. Best deal so far.

Despite being shit jobs for the most part, I eat very well for nothing. Feels good senpai
>>
I steal food from coworkers
>>
>>7782269
I work at Pizza Hut.

so there's no food available.
>>
>>7782729
kek
>>
Just coffee and occasional pot lucks. Mmmmm, Mrs. Lee's chicken.
>>
>>7782739
Also Joe J brings snacks on Saturdays.
>>
>>7782724
Do you work at DISH?
>>
>>7782729
i hate these chains even more than working in normal service.
>>
>>7782269
I work in a lab and my PI stocks candy and diet soda. At least the candy is mostly hi-chew.

Sometimes when there's a talk or whatever in the same building there's coffee, tea, pastries etc...
>>
>>7782269
>What food or drinks does your workplace offer?
Coffee. Tea. Like most offices.
>>
>>7782269
Work at a biotech start-up.

Beverages: coffee, tea, milk
Food: peanut butter pretzels, redvines
>>
>>7782330

>mfw local kitchens give you 10% off menu price for ONE item per day and also charge you for drinks while working

fucking hate the local scene and the retarded immigrant kids enable this shit
>>
>>7784707
>Redvines

You're in good hands. Fuck Twizzlers.
>>
>>7782283
Workers whose basic needs are met (food, bathroom) are more productive. Herp derp.

We have fruit snacks, zone bars, cashews, and whatever else the boss's wife decides to pick up at Costco (salted chocolate-covered caramels) OR whatever we get brought by patients (happens mostly in December, we tend to toss the homemade stuff unless we really know the person).
>>
Coffee and water. What the fuck?
>>
free coffee, sodas, bottled water and the office keeps a fridge stocked full of homemade sandwiches and assorted dinners. it's pretty awesome.
>>
I worked at a Vietnamese office that occasionally gave us free food. On special occasions they would bring in a whole roasted pig.

And then they would get mad at me for eating at my desk while working.
>>
Worked graveyard at waffle house. Any fucking thing I want. I'll eat 7 Patty melts a night.
>>
>>7782269
Maybe once a month, there's donuts. Maybe once every few months, there's bagels. Maybe once or twice a year, there's pizza. Nothing we can count on.

>tfw the captcha is food images.
>>
Reposting this from a Quora QA.

(I’ve never worked a Google, but I have worked in places that offered free lunches every day.)

Free lunches aren’t free. That’s money that could have been used to pay you directly, but instead they’re using that money to buy food (which you don’t even have to eat — when I was getting regular free lunches, I still chose to go out most of the time because I happened to have been working next to really fantastic food choices).

But here’s the way this works. A company has available resources to spend on employees, but it wants to use the least amount that they can get away with. Employees, on the other hand, want to receive the best pay and benefits that they can get away with, and this includes less tangible ones like feeling valued and the general work experience. As a result, if an employee is treated badly at a company and an offer comes along for a position with better conditions, the employee will take it. What this means is that the best employees — those most likely to receive better offers — need to be kept happy. Various employers, including Google, have figured out that, for some reason or another, providing lunch makes their employees happier and less likely to leave the company. In other words, they’re buying employee retention.
>>
>>7785643
Now, why would they do something like that? Employees are actually an expensive investment that takes a while to pay off. A brand-new employee isn’t at full productivity for several months, and their productivity only improves from there as they become senior employees who intimately know the company’s product. Think about a food service employee at McDonald’s (not to pick on McDonald’s, of course). You have to learn to take customer orders and/or prepare them in the kitchen, but that’s about it. It doesn’t take too long to learn, and once you do, you’re not going to improve very much. Maybe you can be a manager or something, but that’s a different skill set. If you left the company and they had to hire someone else, they would be back at productivity pretty quickly. As a software engineer, on the other hand, the biggest learning you have to do is of the company’s products, and after that, general computer science skills to design new products. The longer you stay, the more you’re worth. An employee leaving is a pretty big loss for an engineering team.

If a “free” lunch helps retain employees, it may be worth it. A company will stop doing that only if the calculation changes.
>>
I work at a hotel so we have coffee and a waffle machine...also fake eggs n bacon
>>
>>7782269
Fig bars, coffee, energy drinks, granola bars. Used to have pork rinds but that one Muslim lady complained.
>>
>>7782269
I used to wash dishes in a kitchen in a retirement home, where they prepared all of the food ahead of time. We were allowed to eat anything the residents didn't, which means that if I worked 10am-7pm, I could reasonably get three meals a day for free.
>>
>>7782269
free pizza, fried food

all kinds of free non alcoholic drinks, mostly water and the occasional red bull for me though
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.