[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About to visit Vietnam and stay there for couple of months, any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: 3fJ+lnx0UAAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png (1 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
3fJ+lnx0UAAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png
1 KB, 275x183
About to visit Vietnam and stay there for couple of months, any advice what food should i eat and try to made there?
>>
Be wary of street stalls. Your best bet is to find small food shacks.

Besides the usual food, get some cut raw green mango and muoi ot (sometimes they'll sell it together) and have them together. Just dip the mango slices into it. Also try sugarcane juice. There's nothing more refreshing.
>>
>>7782112
Green Mango? isn't that shit super sour?
>>
When I visited I noticed a pretty big difference between north and south.

At the very least, Hanoi seemed to have a really distinct food thing going on.
>>
>>7782093
Get your shots, hepatitis, etc beforehand.

Drink bottled water.

Fuck underage prostitutes.
>>
>>7782112
>moui ot
ITS JUST SALT AND CHILI PEPPER
>>
>>7782093
I have a few tips

>don't eat anything orange just in case
>watch out for mortars
>never ever go anywhere alone
>always carry a gun
>>
>>7782129
Im going to Hanoi and Thai Nguyen, not some rat hole in a middle of nowhere
>>
>>7782137
go to ho chi minh, much nicer
>>
>>7782137

Hanoi is nice if you don't look American.

My experience was that the further North you go the more hostile they are to you, and Hanoi was the only place I'd ever been where I got blatantly ripped off more than once.

The fresh beer and snack food sitting on kiddie chairs on the street somewhat made up for it, though.
>>
>>7782142
Ho Chi Minh is too expensive and those Southern got an Accent that put the German to shame
>>
>>7782137
>it aint me starts playing
>>
>>7782148
>Hanoi was the only place I'd ever been where I got blatantly ripped off more than once.

Me love you long time! 20 dorrah!
>>
What is Banh Cuon, Xoi and Bun Cha? Anyone try it?
>>
>>7782162

>catch a cab from the bus station to the hotel
>notice the first digit of the fare occasionally jumping up a number or two when it shouldn't be
>thanks! we'll get out right here
>pay three times the fare and are left who knows where to figure out how to get the rest of the way on your own

There's literally nothing to do in that situation other than not find yourself in it in the first place.
>>
>>7782126
No it isn't, you god damn pleb. It's a very specific type of salt with a different chili pepper. I've had the some shit muoi ot from people who think it was just salt and chili pepper, so yes, there's a huge difference.

>>7782116
Nope. It can be crisp, almost sweet tasting, a little sour, but not overwhelming. That's why the muoi ot is so great with it.
>>
>>7782149
>Southerners
>implying they're the ones with bad accents

Southerners' don't have SHIT on the Hue. The Hue have the most unintelligible redneck hillbilly accent around.
>>
>>7782222
Ok, Hue as in Vietnamese Hue or Hue as in Nigger Hue?
>>
>>7782228
Vietnamese.
>>
>>7782217
Can you make that at home? Mango can be bought from the store and Muoi ot can be mix, right?
>>
>>7782222

All you need to do is show them the picture of the designer outfit you want replicated that you cut out from your fashion magazine and they'll do the rest.
>>
>>7782231
Wait, so the middle got even worse acent? Jesus
>>
>>7782093
whatever chinese shit they eat there. you gotta try the local cuisine when traveling within the orient. I hear it sucks.
>>
>>7782234
You could if you found the right stuff. They also sell it in little shakers.
>>
Their sandwich: the bahn meme
>>
>>7782093
Bun cha and pho in hanoi, you should eat a ton of pho, there are a lot of varieties and all delicious. I had insanely good food in hanoi, but i think the struggle is to find the nice places, since its a huge city and many great restaurants are just in some unlabled backyards/houses, luckily we had vietnamese friends showing us around.
Hoi an is a great city for banh mi, also dont be afraid of whacky looking places there, even the ones that serve pizza and burgers and stuff, usually have great vietnamese food, also you get beers by the can, its great in the evening, sitting outside eating seafood,porkbelly etc and drinking.
Hue is great for things in riceflour, usually cooked in banana leafes, generally great city for food.
Ho chi minh is much more like a western city, south is much more seafood heavy in general
and you can find any kind of food there. Japanese population also strong in Ho chi min, so you have some nice places there. Also i can recommend pizza4peace there, its the best pizza ive ever had outside of italy and a welcome change after eating vietnamese for a long time.
Also drink a lot of vietnamese coffee, fresh coconut water.
Id always recommend looking for a local guide on couchsurfing etc, people are often happy to meet foreigners.
>>
>>7782093
McDonald's.
>>
File: 1449065219324.jpg (5 KB, 252x150) Image search: [Google]
1449065219324.jpg
5 KB, 252x150
>mfw pho is pronounced 'fur'
>>
File: o.jpg (87 KB, 765x693) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
87 KB, 765x693
>>7782887
Is it some kind of common Vietnamese practice to name your business "___ King"? Or do all these people think they're just that clever? There seems to be a Pho King everywhere, and I'm sure it's not some kind of franchise.
>>
File: sinhcollage.jpg (169 KB, 920x300) Image search: [Google]
sinhcollage.jpg
169 KB, 920x300
>>7782901

They just like calling their stuff the same thing because they're dipshits.

In hanoi they have a fucking million different tourist offices selling boat trips and stuff all with the same fucking name/logo. its frustrating to say the least.
>>
>>7782907
>because they're dipshits
Are you joking? The multiple Sinh Cafes are literally bootleg travel agencies.
The original Sinh Cafe isn't even named that anymore. It's Sinh Tourist now.
>>
>>7782910
>Are you joking?

No, they really are dipshits.
>>
>>7782887
It's pronounced 'faar', dipshit.
>>
>>7782926

not really. more like fur.
>>
Vietnamese here, here is the Vietnamese way (best way) to eat phở.

Add the fish sauce, pepper, chilli pepper, red sauce, black sauce, green lemon, or anything you want in to the bowl, mixed them up and eat it while it's hot.
>>
Thit Kho Tua
>>
>>7782901
They're trying to be clever because Pho is pronounced "FUH".
>>
File: ST.jpg (45 KB, 595x335) Image search: [Google]
ST.jpg
45 KB, 595x335
>>7782093
Remain clear of the anti-personnel mines.
>>
>>7782209
You should always ask the price first, mate.
>>
>>7782093

VNese here

aside from the obvious pho, just try everything with "bun" (bún) if you plan on visiting Hanoi, and Thai Nguyen is popular for its green tea. Remember to bring some medicine in case your tummy get funky from the foods.
>>
File: rod.jpg (9 KB, 300x377) Image search: [Google]
rod.jpg
9 KB, 300x377
>>7783087
Thank a Vietnam Veteran for your existence.
>>
>>7782159
underrated
>>
>>7782118

You're telling him to fuck underage prostitutes? Or to disregard them?

I can't believe this post was disregarded..............
>>
>>7783096
Thanks for losing the war.
>>
>>7783028
Its Thit Kho Tau, soft meat, amazing sauce, boiled egg
>>
Vietnamese here. Eat pho, bun cha, banh mi, chè (sweet desert soup thingy), xôi (glutinous rice with various toppings); and if the weather is too hot for you, get yourself sugarcane juice or have a cold beer (be careful with street stalls, they can be unhygienic).
>>
File: JUST.jpg (30 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
30 KB, 456x320
Post YFW It aint me starts playing
>>
>>7783231
kek
>>
File: mark-close-up.jpg (28 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
mark-close-up.jpg
28 KB, 600x316
>>7783341
>>
>>7783068

The rate was clearly stated. It's just the machine keeping track was rigged to jump up a number every minute or so, but otherwise went up normally, presumably so that people wouldn't notice.
>>
File: IMG_20160119_202656.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160119_202656.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Things I would recommend:
- Banh Xeo (gonna post a pic of that if I can find it)
- Mi Quang
- Banh Bao (was my breakfast everyday. Tho Phat Salty Egg is my favorite)
- Banh Cuon ( pic related, best I had was with slices of fried Cha Lua, Crab cakes and Nem)
>>
File: IMG_20160120_174104.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_174104.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>7783689
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.