[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What isn't worth making homemade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: .png (1008 KB, 975x677) Image search: [Google]
.png
1008 KB, 975x677
What isn't worth making homemade
>>
>>7781593
cooking oil, flour, butter, milk, dry cheese.
>>
Whipped cream is totally worth making at home.

Fried foods are not worth making at home.
>>
>>7781598
>not making fried chicken at home in a cast iron skillet

some fried foods are worth it.
>>
>>7781593
pastry

There's barely any difference between home made and the store bought.

pasta / noodles isn't worth it either
>>
>>7781612
I disagree about the pasta thing. it's not something you should make from scratch every time, but making homemade pasta is a good way to impress a girl or pick the width of the noodles to go with your sauce. for example, I don't ever see papardelle in the store.
>>
>>7781598
They are if you're making a meal for 3+ people. It's not worth the clean up if making for less.
>>
>>7781621
>no god tier pappardelle at store

Pasta is fully worth making at home, but store bought is nice to have on hand.

>>7781599

If you have a special recipe for something fried maybe it could be worth it, but pulling out the oil/grease and cooking a limited amount of food in it seems silly. Frying is an economies of scale thing for me. And its not healthy so I like the idea of limiting my intake to special restaurant dining occasions. Imo only fatty mcfats fry food at home.
>>
>>7781661
>cleaning a whisk that takes less than 30 seconds is not worth it
>>
Eggs

the effort to clean up the shit from chickens and feed them isn't worth it. it hardly tastes better too in fact i don't even think they taste better the yolk is just yellower so it tricks you into thinking it tastes better
>>
>>7781663
I'm both posts you responded to. I fully agree with your first point about pasta.

homemade fried chicken is way better than at most restaurants, especially if you have a good chicken supplier nearby. I always keep my fry oil in the freezer, I filter it after each use and keep it in a mason jar. it's not worth it if youre just making fries or whatever as a side, but for fried chicken or chicken fried steak it's definitely worth it to cook at home. At least for me since I'm a southerner living in the adirondacks.
>>
>>7781612

pies from the store and homemade pie crusts are nothing alike. But I love me some costco pastries.
>>
Mayo
>>
Whipped cream, mayo, and fried food is all super easy to do at home and much better that way.

If anything I'd say puff pastry or filo dough isn't worth the effort. Same with ketchup.
>>
>>7781593
I don't mind making whipped cream, but I actually like Reddi Wip. Mostly eating it straight from the can.
>>
>>7781702
ketchup is definitely worth it. you don't have to make it so sweet, though there are brands out there that do it right, unlike huntz and heinz.
>>
>>7781666
Was referring to the fried foods guy
>>
File: goyasavoya.jpg (39 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
goyasavoya.jpg
39 KB, 450x450
>>
File: sanmardrizzle.jpg (45 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
sanmardrizzle.jpg
45 KB, 450x450
>>
File: olive-oil.jpg (47 KB, 443x267) Image search: [Google]
olive-oil.jpg
47 KB, 443x267
olive oil
>>
>>7781772
I tried growing my own San marzanos in Georgia. They tasted like regular Roma tomatoes. There is something magical about that region of Italy.

>Inb4 volcanic soil.
>>
Basic ingredients. Oils, flours, etc.
>>
>>7781849
I grew them in south Florida. They were no different than the plum tomatoes I normally grow, except that they took longer to get fully ripe and many of them split. They don't seem to handle the heat well. The best tomatoes are ones you let get fully ripe before picking, I think the variety is the least important part. I've grown like 10+ different types of tomatoes and getting ripe is what seems to matter
>>
>>7781593
Puff pastry.

Whipped cream is stupid easy, though. Feel shame for not making it at home.
>>
meat
>>
>>7781593
n.e.thing
>>
how do you store whip cream at home? I feel like it would be disgusting to give guest a bowl of the shit and its really the only reason i still buy it
>>
Pumpkin pie filling. I have never had a home made Pumpkin pie filling that was any better than the canned stuff, most of the flavor was in the spices.
>>
>>7782038
you just keep it in the fridge, tightly wrapped so it doesn't pick up flavors

it really does taste a lot better than the canned shit. that stuff tastes more like air than sweet cream

it gets pissy after a bit, but if you are worried about that (like if you put it in a cake) you stabilize it with gelatin
>>
>>7782057

It's easy enough to make that you should only need to make as much as you are using at one time. Also adding in a little vanilla bean makes a world of difference.
>>
>>7782073
I know, but honestly I always have some left over when I serve it with a dessert. It stays fine in the fridge for a few days. And vanilla is definitely very important, it's the most distinguishing factor between home made and the spray nozzle shit.
>>
>>7781593
I have to disagree. Home made whipped cream is denser while still being fluffy and has a better texture. You can adjust the taste to make it better by adding more/less sugar and vanilla extract to the cream before whipping it.
>>
>>7782057
so what do you do with guest like yeah heres a bowl of """"""""""""whipped cream"""""""""""""" spoon it yourself.
>>
>>7782088

Every time I'm in a house and see canned stuff in the fridge I huff it when nobody's looking. I do it at my parent's house, at my friends' houses, at my SO's. I'm usually really honest and a good house guest, but when I see one of those cans I just have to kill them in a huff or two.
>>
>>7782098

As opposed to, "here's a can of store bought shit, put your fingers all over the nozzle and dispense it yourself"?
>>
>>7782098
Yes, sometimes I just serve a bowl of whipped cream with a dessert. Does that seem barbaric to you for some reason? I've also just put it in a disposable pastry bag for people to squeeze out. To me it's infinitely better than bringing out a can of ready whip

it's real whipped cream and tastes amazing compared to that stuff
>>
' '
>>
>>7782216
This
>>
>>7782216
This is exactly the way it should be.
>>
>>7781593
Scrambled eggs. It's on the stove, off the stove, on the stove, off the stove... you're all sweaty and exhausted and ready to just crawl into bed by the time they're done.
>>
>>7781593
asparagus. really any produce.
>>
>>7782038
You don't store whipped cream. You store cream and whip it as needed.

It comes in a jug, like milk.
>>
Chocolate Syrup
>>
reddi whip? what was that little cake cup with the whip & strawberriess our something, not too bad.
>>
Puff pastry
Hot sauce (not salsa)
Most cheeses
Most basic ingredients (flour, oil, butter, etc.)
>>
>>7782023
I wonder how san marzanos would grow here in victoria canada? it's kinda hilly like northern italy, not too hot or cold, and very sunny.
>>
>>7782327
>mix eggs and salt and pepper in a small bowl
>pour in pan with oil or butter
>mix, cook for like one minute, drop on plate, season as needed
????????? how is this hard
>>
>>7781668
Having eaten free.range eggs all my life (because both my grandmas and mom raise chickens), there is definitevely a difference in taste. It's not really worth the hassle of raising chickens though especially because I assume most people on 4chan live in apartments
>>
>>7781598
>>7781663
I take it by fried you mean deep-fried? I frequently make some sort of deep-fried potatoes at home as a snack. I use a teflon pan with about 100ml or 150ml of oil and it works perfectly fine.
After the cooking is done, I let it cool and pour it into a little jar through a tea strainer. It filters out all the funk and I can use the same oil a few more times before it's all gone.
>>
whiskey

potato chips

cum
>>
>>7781689
It's worth it for the transformation effect alone. >>7782664
You just bit the bait, anon.
>>
>>7781593
anything that you can buy for cheap and is a pain in the ass to clean after you are done
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.