[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much does garlic cost in your country? Here in Europe prices
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: GarlicCloves.jpg (1 MB, 3732x3085) Image search: [Google]
GarlicCloves.jpg
1 MB, 3732x3085
How much does garlic cost in your country?

Here in Europe prices are insane.Just couple of years ago you could get a kilo for 1-2€. Now a kilo costs up to 10 €. Has garlic become a luxury?
>>
>>7780564
Albany, ny area, theyre usually about $0.75 a head. all the groceries here sell them by the head rather than weight.
>>
2 decent sized heads for $1 here in mountain-and-hipsterland, USA
>>
Vancouver Canada: $1 for 2 heads, 3 if it's from China...
>>
>>7780564

usa. cheap as fuck. less than 50 cents a head.
>>
In Seattle, at one of my local grocers, $5 a pound, which ends up being a bit over 2 dollars for 5 heads.
>>
>>7780564
At my local Asian market in Texas it's like a dollar for 5 heads.
>>
>>7780583
That would be like 12$ a kilo. That's pretty expensive. I can still find a kilo for less than 5€, but just a couple of years ago a kilo was like 2€.
>>
>>7780564
if garlic is expensive as fuck where you live, just remember you can grow your own
>>
>>7780587

how much fucking garlic do you eat that you need to buy it by the kilo and how fucking poor are you that something that only costs pennies is a luxury
>>
>>7780594
It's pretty worrying when something goes from 2 to 10 euro in a year dude.
>>
>>7780599

its literally the exact same price as ours now.

seems like euros are finally learning how to cook.
>>
I've only started cooking recently and I was unaware that garlic used to be cheaper a couple years ago. I figured that garlic is relatively expensive partly because it is so low in water content (so you are buying more actual vegetable matter), plus you use comparatively little of it.
>>
>>7780564
I either grow my own, or forage for wild garlic when supplies run low
>>
Like 50c each
>>
>>7780572

Same. In North Jersey Stop & Shop has them for $0.50 each.
>>
>>7780654
This desu guys, growing garlic is probably the easiest thing, and you can use the green part as it grows to put over salads or whatever you want.
>>
>>7780706
Yeah, I was actually amazed and how easy it was (to the extent that I had to start culling some of the plants because I couldn't keep up).

Never tried using the greens on salads though - kind of want to try that now
>>
>>7780718
It adds a milder garlic smell and taste. Like a stronger ciboullette. I toss it over salads, on chicken soups, goes great with seafood, etc. Try it.
>>
>>7780746
Definitely will do
>>
Free because it grows fucking everywhere

Grow and freeze a bunch of it for when it's out of season. It grows rampant in pretty much all of Europe
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.