[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
poorfag food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
File: poor.jpg (105 KB, 720x380) Image search: [Google]
poor.jpg
105 KB, 720x380
guys I'm poor as fuck
>inb4 food stamps
fuck that shit
cheap meals that don't taste like shit?
>>
The cheapest bulk rice you can buy
The cheapest bulk dry beans/lentils you can buy
The cheapest bulk potatoes you can buy

These three things can give you enough nutrients to avoid death for potentially a dollar a day or slightly less
>>
>>7779077
what else can I eat for cheap besides a diet of starch???
>>
We have this thread half a dozen times a day.

Maybe lurk the food board for a week or two Before you run out of money. Then again, feeding yourself/basic money management is also common sense, which you clearly lack.
>>
>>7779089

Rice and beans/potatoes are a complete protein, dumbshit. That's honestly the most important thing if you're actually in a situation where you're acting like you might starve, and those are cheap and widely available.
>>
>>7779094
must be nice to be able to talk shit to people who are fucking starving on a full belly
>>
>>7779089
Rice+beans are a complete protein and the bare minimum of fiber

Potatoes will give you enough vitamin C to avoid scurvy and can be delicious on a poverty budget

You can always stop paying for internet and TV so you can afford to eat more stuff. Then we won't have to deal with you here. Its a win-win.
>>
File: 1406493870596.jpg (34 KB, 427x245) Image search: [Google]
1406493870596.jpg
34 KB, 427x245
>>7779075
>just get food stamps you stupid fuck
>>
>>7779089
Whole chickens, butcher specials that are about to reach their sell date, in-season vegetables, lots of onions/garlic/spices and hot sauce.

Also, if you're not in the city, you can hunt, fish, and garden.
>>
Depending on where you live you can also look for eatable herbs, nuts and berries outside for micros. Also ask at the farmers market if they got leftover khohlrabies greens or things like that.
>>
don't waste your time OP
/ck/ is full of snobby fatasses who have never known what it like to be actually hungry and have the luxury of arguing about the pros and cons of arugula vs lettuce
ramen and peanut butter bro
>>
>>7779102
potatoes are actually quite high in protein as well, interestingly enough
>>
>>7779101

>on 4chan
>starving

Yeah, no. We all had to learn to fend for ourselves when we moved out on our own. You clearly just made a series of poor decisions.

And yeah, if you're too good for welfare you're not actually "starving". It sounds like you're just lazy and stupid.
>>
Learn to enjoy organ meats. They are cheap as fuck. My go to when I was a poor sap was mostly chicken hearts. Sauteed with bok choy or whatever cheap vegetables on sale, onion, and whatever seasonings you wish. Spoon over rice and eat. If it's too boring do the usual hot sauce you like.

but mostly this >>7779077
>>
>>7779075
carrots,onions, and celery are usually cheap all over the US

turnips can be really cheap as well, depending on where you live

add to that the ol' rice, beans, lentils, potatoes starch squad, you have a lot to work with in terms of flavor
>>
>>7779109

>snobby fatasses who have never known what it like to be actually hungry

OP is wasting money on an internet connection and spending that time on 4chan. It's his own fault if he didn't think eating might also be a little important.
>>
>>7779121
internet connection is important for finding a job to afford food.
>>
>>7779121
>Library.
Next.
>>
>>7779125
It's [current year]

Free internet is everywhere.
>>
>>7779094
>he spends his entire day browsing about food while eating food
>>
>>7779125

>fucking millennials think you can't function in the world without the internet at your fingertips

You go to the library, look up jobs on craigslist, and spend the next day doing leg work and finding a fucking job to get you on your feet.

I'm guessing OP is just some college kid who used up with month's allowance in a week on fast food and is panicking that he's actually on his own for the first time.
>>
>>7779132
city folk mentality
>>
>5lb bag of potatoes for $2.50 at Walmart
>20lb bag of long grain rice for $9 at walmart
>8lb bag of pinto beans for $7.40 at Walmart

Not even trying to shill Walmart but they can keep you alive if you're on the brink of homelessness
>>
>>7779139
>muh lennials
>>
>rice
>beans
>potatoes

stock answer
>>
>>7779147

>aka, people who just left home for university and don't know how to function without looking at their iphone every 30 seconds but are entitled enough to consider themselves starving while posting on 4chan
>>
>>7779145
or the asian market is often even cheaper if you live on one of the coasts
>>
>>7779170
you like projecting don't you
>>
>>7779177
>tfw when I go to the asian market the clerk gives me a dirty look for being a white guy
>>
>>7779170
>people under 35 are all the same
>get off my lawn

The generational generalizations are just sad. Why don't we go back to calling these types of people plain faggots like the olden days?
>>
>>7779110
>potatoes are actually quite high in protein as well
about 5g per potato thats not really that much but more than expected
>>
>>7779186

>people under 35

Nobody uses the wikepedia definition. We all know who we're talking about when we use the term...
>>
>>7779185
just wear a mask and gloves next time and they will think you are being polite instead of not wanting to inhale the stench that pervades all of their stores
>>
nigger
>>
>>7779194
>hurr durr gen y, millenial, 90s kids, whatever the fuck term suck, kids these days

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
-Socrates, 476 B.C.
>>
>>7779075
>fuck that shit
No, fuck YOU. You think you're too good for food stamps? Fuck you. You aren't.
>>
>>7779218
Some people still have dignity, and a sense of personal responsibility. You don't have to drag people down because you've lost yours.
>>
>>7779212

Yes, every generation thinking the new generation are lazy, entitled fucks is an indisputably perennial theme throughout all of history.

It's also indisputable that people who grew up with the internet in their back pocket and take it as a given represent one of the most profound cultural shifts to take place in all of recorded history, and those are the people that everyone complains about, and that's where the term "millennial" typically gets thrown around.

People don't interact with the world anymore, they interact with their phone and social media, even in a room full of their "friends", to the point at which they actually become so helpless and dependent that they don't even realize that they've forgotten about feeding themselves until they get hungry.
>>
>>7779228
That's a stretch, friend.
>>
>>7779233

Eh, I'd like to hear the specifics of OP's situation.
>>
>>7779075
Herbs. spices, and sauces
Go fishing for yourself.
Buy from local stalls and vendors.

Assuming you eat for pleasure and for survival, and you're not an ayylmao, you should consider what you're drinking as well. how you pair your meals can change anything.
>>
>>7779228
Go take a nap grandpa

[spoiler]as a millennial who doesn't really use technology outside of shitposting and music I completely agree with you, I hate most TV and all vidya and social media, suicide grows more and more attractive with each passing day[/spoiler]
>>
>>7779267

>i don't use technology either gramps - we're cool, right? - but learned how to type on a phone so don't understand what grammar is, and even use spoilers on a board where they don't work
>>
File: 1276015118376.jpg (173 KB, 1056x651) Image search: [Google]
1276015118376.jpg
173 KB, 1056x651
>>7779077
Take this into consideration, you can do a lot with these foods. You can fry the rice, you can make chili and bean dip, you can make french fries and mashed potatoes.

Try canned and preserved foods. Like kipper snacks and bags of instant mixes and such.

you just gotta lurk moar and keep an eye out for deals, look for bottom shelf items, off brand foods, and close to expiration date foods

>>7779109
I've lived off hotdogs, bologna sandwiches, and ramen for almost two years straight. Living in a backroom with no heat having to sleep in thermal wear and three blankets.

The struggle is real. It's your burden if you can't cook.
>vitamins
>>
Sucking 37 cocks will give you enough protein for a day, though you probably already do that OP.
>>
>>7777777
>>
it hilarious how all poor people are also extremely stupid.
>>
>>7779223
Food stamps are paid for with taxes. Mine, yours, and everybody else's. Use the resources that YOU pay for.
>>
>>7777777
MEDIUM RARE IS THE PERFECT STEAK
>>
>>7779075
beans and rice are your bread and butter. both are cheap and filling. don't buy soda or really any drinks. they are a waste of money. pasta is also fairly cheap
>>
Carbs and grease are good for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4F_yQJSnsM
>>
>>7779661
>beans and rice
He said food that doesn't taste like shit.
>>
>>7779682
i think you have a spelling test to study for little guy
>>
File: 2irritant.jpg (22 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
2irritant.jpg
22 KB, 265x300
>>7779685
Says the guy who can't punctuate or capitalize.
>>
>>7779121
You need the internet nowadays
>>7779132
No it's not
>>
>>7779228
Ngl I'm a millenial (96 so bordering between that and 90's ), I refuse to buy a smartphone and also independant, but that part abourt forgetting to feed themselves till they're hungry is so true
>>
hit the right places, at closing time. Fruit food stands sometimes get tired of waiting, and are willing to deal. food bank, never been but..
>>
>>7780019
if your a little sneaky, you might eat pretty good. :P
>>
not exactly sure what to tell you on the budget because food is expensive nowadays so to me what I'm about to say seems kind of like a cheap meal so basically what I did the other night was by a big three and a half pound slab of chuck roast for 8 or $9 and some potatoes and carrots and onions along with salt pepper and rosemary and garlic and all I did was poke holes in the chuck roast and inserted little garlic slivers into all the holes then I generously salt and peppered both sides seared it on a pan for about 2 minutes each on medium-high and then I saw the peppered all the chopped potatoes onions and son carrots and then I threw it all in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes and it was probably enough food to last myself three days at least if I was eating alone and it was f****** delicious
>>
>>7780339
not exactly sure what to tell you on the budget because food is expensive nowadays so to me what I'm about to say seems kind of like a cheap meal so basically what I did the other night was by a big three and a half pound slab of chuck roast for 8 or $9 and some potatoes and carrots and onions along with salt pepper and rosemary and garlic and all I did was poke holes in the chuck roast and inserted little garlic slivers into all the holes then I generously salt and peppered both sides seared it on a pan for about 2 minutes each on medium-high and then I salt and peppered all the chopped potatoes onions and carrots and then I threw it all in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes and it was probably enough food to last myself three days at least if I was eating alone and it was f****** delicious if it lasts you 3 days overall cost of the actually dish was probably 10-11 dollars because you will have leftover carrots potatoes and onions as well as the herbs and spices. comes out to about 3.75 a day? you just gotta have some cooking sense it's not hard just don't burn it or dry it out. oh I also rubbed butter all over the roast while it was in the oven and I poured some wine over it but you don't have to.
>>
>>7779233
It's actually not at all?
>>
>>7779089
Always be on the lookout for sales on eggs, chicken, cheese, various other meats. When it happens you can stock the freezer. Chicken thighs are great. This time of year there is always a surplus of fresh vegetables grown nearby. Enjoy the cheap in-season produce. Canned tuna is cheap. Try the store brands. They often beat name brands in price and quality.

And just go in there and ask if anything's on sale in the produce and meat sections. Honestly, tell 'em you're on an extremely tight food budget and ask if they can arrange some options for you before stuff gets tossed out of rotation. People in general aren't dicks about stuff like this.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.