[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /ck/ your my only hope
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Bowl_of_chili.jpg (330 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Bowl_of_chili.jpg
330 KB, 2048x1536
My grandmother has just got out of the hosputsl ,the doctors told her she needs to cut down on her salt.
I have to stay with her for a while until she is feeling better

She loves chili what is a good low sodium recipe
>>
I'd just use my go-to recipe but cut back on the sodium rich ingredients.

Cooking without salt is difficult, but chili is pretty flavorful otherwise.

(There's no good answer. Cutting out salt means eating bland food. Getting old sucks, and then we die.)
>>
Honestly, as long as it's not in a can, you should be fine. Use dried beans, not canned.
The salt we add to food ourselves is minor compared to how much we get from junk food and canned foods.
>>
>>7779008
Just make it without any salt, dumbass.
>>
>>7779013
She can have a boy 1500mg in a day so somthing with maybe 500mg in the whole dish would be fine
>>
>>7779021

It's really difficult to make food that isn't bland using that little.

Obviously the more you cook from scratch and use less processed products the better, as the more processed the food usually means the higher the sodium.

Other than that, start experimenting with more diverse spices.
>>
File: pretend salt.jpg (556 KB, 1454x2000) Image search: [Google]
pretend salt.jpg
556 KB, 1454x2000
Use monosodium glutamate instead.

or those no salt blends.
>>
>>7779021
you also need to keep in mind that a ton of ingredients will have some amount of salt on their own

with 1500mg only you gotta be really careful
>>
>>7779008
let the veggies do their thing, season slowly (too much paprika/dried or smoked pepper and cumin, and you'll need salt)... not that tomatoes, garlic and onions are sodium free, but they, along with properly browned meat should be your flavour enhancers. You could even add some dark caramel for extra flavour.
>>
>>7779063
>It's really difficult to make food that isn't bland using that little
I feel so sad for people like you, anon. You don't even know what food tastes like.
>>
>>7779167

I taste every ingredient I cook with plain.

The fact is that salt is one of the 4 basic tastes, and probably the most important one when it come to making a balanced dish.

I know what food tastes like. I've also cooked for someone on a low sodium diet (and read plenty of low sodium cookbooks, and talked with RDs).

I have a garden and hunt and fish. I'll eat a fresh tomato as is, and maybe take a bite of raw onion in between. None of that matters. Salt is integral as fuck to making food taste good, especially for older people who can barely taste anything to begin with.

Not knowing how to salt your food, or understanding the importance of salt, is probably the biggest indicator of someone who doesn't know what food tastes like, or know how to bring out the flavors that are there.
>>
>>7779008
you're a good lad for looking after granny but there is no such thing as a hosputsl
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.