[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get basmati to be separate grains?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: basmatirice-2.jpg (211 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
basmatirice-2.jpg
211 KB, 1200x1200
No generic advice please. I've already tried. I've washed the rice until the water ran clear, I've toasted the rice in oil, I've let it steam for the last part. It's not gummy at least but it is still clearly sticky. The only thing I haven't tried is the all out Persian rice method that involves and overnight soak and then towel steaming.
>>
Buy higher quality rice.
>>
use less water
>>
>>7774866
>No generic advice please.
I'm sorry, you're failing at rice. You need basic and generic advice.

Use less water.
>>
>>7774866
wat
I cook my rice like a total slob, straight from the bag into boiling water and on low until it's done and I never had an issue.
>>
Oh look, retarded generic advice.
>>7774881
I use the royal brand, it's fine.
>>7774885
I have retard.
>>7774886
The rice is fine by most standards. I already said it's not gummy but it isn't separate grains like you would find in an Indian or Middle Eastern restaurant. Learn to read retard.
>>
>>7774892
fluff with fork & let rest?
>>
>>7774866
Try the towel steaming, it fucking works. I always make my basmati rice to have tah dig at the bottom, and I use the towel steaming method, and it's always right, every time.
I rinse the rice before I soak it, until the water runs clean, then soak it for at least 2 hours. I also use less water than you would for regular rice, just about 1/2 cup less by measure, and do the towel steam. Perfect every time.
>>
when you say "use less water" what is the ratio of water to rice? and do you need to get the water boiling first before putting the rice in?
>>
>>7774941
>and do you need to get the water boiling first before putting the rice in?
yes
>>
rinse it with water to remove excess starch.
You could try adding a shot of vinegar while boiling it, works great to keep potatoes firm, should work with rice too
>>
>>7774866
Don't let it steam
Cook it for like 20 minutes and then take the thing off
>>
>>7774866
none of these retards know what they are talking about op

wash your rice a few times before you cook it
>>
>>7774866
Discounting the quality of the basmati then stickiness may be a sign of overcooking. I would let the rice soak for 30 mins after washing. Let 150% water (e.g 1 cup rice to 1 and half water) come to the boil, add the rice, close the lid and as soon as you see the water coming to a boil (I use a pot with a see through lid) turn down to very low for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave for 15 mins. Then you can open pan and fluff it up gently with a wooden spoon. Sometimes I get it a bit gummy if it's overcooked or I've used a very small quantiy of rice.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.