[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who the hell has the time to make stock? There are some things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 2
File: chicken-stock-3-method-6.jpg (21 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
chicken-stock-3-method-6.jpg
21 KB, 600x400
Who the hell has the time to make stock?

There are some things I think everyone can be excused from making themselves even if they normally make all their own food.
>>
Just stick a bunch of bones and vegetables in a crockpot. No effort needed.
>>
>>7774581
so true i didnt ever make any
>>
if you're in the house for a few hours it's not exactly the most hands on thing is it. roast bones and other stuff, deglaze into stock pot, bring to simmer, leave on lowest heat possible, go watch tv, strain into tall vessel and put in fridge for defatting and filtering the next day.

if you *don't* have that much time you can drastically lower the simmering time in a pressure cooker or you can use a crockpot.

after a few goes you will find a workflow that can probably fit into your schedule assuming your working hours aren't that bad. but it is definitely a recreational activity. there are many valid reasons not to do it.
>>
>some things aren't worth the effort to make yourself
Agree.
>stock is one of them
Strongly disagree. When I can find a single brand of storebought stock that actually tastes of something, though, I'll switch over. Until then, homemade all the way.
>>
>>7774600
>>7774581
reacked
>>
Are you never actually at home for 4-5 hours at a time? Or are you just stupid and lazy?

Stock is one of the most effortless things you could make. It's not like you need to stand over the pot and check it every 30 seconds.
>>
Making stock only involves like 30 minutes of active kitchen time. The rest of it is just waiting for the stock to cook and reduce. You could turn it down and leave that shit on the stove overnight if you really wanted to.

I'll tell you who has time to make stock OP: people who are cooks, and not those who make faggoty anti-cooking threads like these.
>>
File: animufags.jpg (560 KB, 1000x1502) Image search: [Google]
animufags.jpg
560 KB, 1000x1502
>>7774581
>put bones and water in slow cooker
>set on low
>go to work
>come back from work
>skim off fat
Congratulations, you now have stock.
>>
Pressure cooker stock is fast. And it's surprisingly hard to get stock in stores that doesn't come spiced / heavily flavored. That makes it necessary to make your own for certain dishes.
>>
>>7774581
you act like you think you have to stand over the pot the entire time, like that other anon said, start it then go do other shit. the only reason the time would be a factor is if you waited till you started making a meal and decided you wanted to use stock and didn't have any already prepared which is just poor planning on your part
>>
>>7774618
id improve that by trying to break any of the bigger bones (use back of a cleaver or whatever)
really improves the jellification
>>
>>7774581
I made stock today for a paella. Every Friday I have fish and the fishmonger gives me the bones from my filleted fish. I freeze them and when I have about 2 or 3 I roast them in the oven and simmer with veggies for 40 minutes. Not hard at all.
>>
>>7774581
>>7774581
you are missing out, stock is one of the most satisfying and hands-off things to cook.
Its a good feeling to have great stock in the freezer, and the effort is minimal.
Id say stock and bolognese are the 2 things i enjoy most having in my freezer
>>
>>7774581
You make stock once, and you have enough to last you weeks. If you haven't figured this out by now, there's no helping you.
>>
>>7774581
I never bother.

It's entirely too time consuming and I never have enough bones and parts laying around.

Nothing wrong with bouillon or cans of broth.
>>
>>7774927
Not him, but how do you store it?
>>
>>7774957

I get those cheap plastic containers for storing leftovers. Fill 'em up and stick them in the freezer.
>>
>>7774957
just pour in tupperware and freeze
>>
>>7774957
mason jar in the freezer.
>>
am |I the only one who enjoys a nice hot cup of broth from time to time?
>>
>>7775037
yes.
>>
>>7775040
but it's so good anon, you should try it
>>
>>7774630
>routinely defends blue apron

kys
>>
>>7774957
I reduce it to 1 litre and then storw in 1/4 litre tupperwares. You can also bag them once they're frozen to re-use your tupperware.
>>
>>7774630
> routinely defends Blue Apron
We all have our demons. What do you use? Thinking of getting those big ass metal on metal seal canners
>>
>>7775125
A generic aluminum pressure cooker i purchased ten years ago, the brand is too worn to read

Also don't get the wrong idea, I make no apologies for ba. Just saying you sperglords think it's either for people who don't know how to boil water, or the supremely lazy, so even by spergtastic memester standards, stock just isn't time consuming or difficult
>>
I don't set out to make stock.

I have bones lying around and don't just want to throw them away with all the flavor still inside.

It doesn't take time, it just takes a flame on the stove while I'm in the kitchen doing anything else, or not even in the kitchen.

I have so much stock, I don't know what to do with it. Every chicken I roast gives me 4 bowls of chicken stock. I don't want to eat soup every day. I can the stuff because the fridge gets too stuffed.

Last year I tossed about 20 different stocks into a big pot and simmered it down to collagen. It's a sticky paste better than any fish sauce or bouillon cubes, very umami! Also very salty.
>>
>>7775136
Oh, I thought you were the guy who routinely calls everyone NEETs and poorfags.

How much do you make in a batch and what pans do you use to roast bones? last time I tried using a roating pan the damn thing turned into a funhouse mirror when I deglazed.
>>
>>7775141
If you dry that out you have portable soup! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fE5KzvOZRk
>>
>>7775037
you are not alone friendo
i even do it in summer and add lime and black pepper to my chicken broth
>>
>>7775155
It is.

Gotta love Jas!
>>
>>7774581
stock is the easiest fucking thing to make
>>
>>7775037
Definitely. This is entirely unheard of throughout the rest of the human population.
>>
>>7775146
I might be that guy, it's all in good fun

I make as much as my pressure cooker holds which is probably like 4 quarts

These days I don't roast bones, I buy a whole rotisserie chicken for $6, remove the trussing cords, rip it up, and cover the whole thing with cold tap water. When it's done I throw out the solids. Occasionally I'll take out some meat for eating but it's pretty terrible meat, fine for stock but not much else

I don't know what you mean by funhouse mirror, you mean it warped? Sounds like a cheap pan. You can pick up good roasting pans at tjmax for next to nothing, average tjmax customer doesn't know what they're for so they pile up. I used to use either a huge staub enameled french oven or a heavy bialetti aluminum roast pan when I actually roasted birds and such regularly, neither one minds deglazing
>>
>>7775208
>one chicken
>for four litres of stock
Yikes. For me, that'd be way too weak, but you do you if you enjoy it.
>>
>>7775222
That's skin, bones, and meat included

It's four quarts (guessing) when it's full, some of the water escapes. I fill it to cover the mangled carcass with an inch or so to spare, that way there's enough to keep it submerged for an hour under high pressure
>>
>>7775230
Water doesn't compress.
>>
>>7775293
You cook with ice?
>>
>>7775248
The little that evaporates is negligible. Your heat may be too high. The release valve should only open for very short moments, and not too regularly.
>>
Seems the mod deleted all my posts for having wrong opinions but didn't have the courtesy to ban me, lol
>>
>>7775381
Has been some weird IP range fuckery so it might be that, given how nothing you posted was more offensive than haughty corrections.
>>
When you prepare meat and veg, there are always those parts you throw away like chicken bones, fat chunks, skins, carrot butts, carrot greens, onion roots, bell pepper stems, potato or beet peels, etc.

Instead of throwing them away, toss them in a freezer bag and keep it in your freezer. Once you have a bunch of scrap stored up, make a stock out of it.

Toss it in a pot and fill it up with water. Add some seasoning and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce to the lowest possible boil and keep it there for 2 hours. Strain out the scrap and store the stock in the fridge or freezer.

It's super easy, practically free, all your soups will now be delicious and you never have to buy broth from the store again.
>>
>>7775388
I'm hopping between wifi and the laundry room mobile

It's probably the usual, I said something wrong in another thread and it pissed him off

But the IP that the deleted posts came from wasn't showing any bans when I was in the wifi range
>>
>>7775381
Janitors can't ban. I've certainly submitted your IP for review by mods.
>>
>>7775409
Thanks bro

These new janitors need better training
>>
Back on the wifi, still nothing
>>
>>7775230
>skin, bones and meat included
Right. A whole chicken. The average whole chicken is around 2kg in weight. For me, 1kg of bones makes 1litre of stock, so yours is about half-strength for me, which is fine if that's what you like. I didn't mean to sound judge-y about it, so if I did, apologies.
Anyway, because I make mine the way my family taught me to make it, I find all storebought stocks to be horribly bland in comparison.

I make a litre of stock from time-to-time. Every three-to-four months, I buy three whole, raw chickens in one go. I break them down and debone the thighs and breasts, freezing everything but the bones, cartilage and skin separately.
The neck, back, thighbone, ribs, wing tips and cartilaginous bits of three chickens comes to about 1kg of stuff, so I make stock of it all.
The skin and fat yields around 600g, give-or-take, which I render for cooking grease then crisp up the remainder for chicken rind snacks. This yields about 2 cups metric of grease.

For beef stock, I just buy quartered knees and roast them, otherwise the stock comes an unpleasant pallid colour.
>>
>>7775414
By all means judge, sometimes I actually get useful advice from this place

What I don't understand is how you're translating from the "just bones" formula to the "bones, skin, meat" formula

I mentioned in one of the deleted posts that my ratio is just an accidental result of wanting to cover up all the solids with about an inch of extra water to allow for evaporation under high pressure
>>
>>7775420
Oh I guess that post was spared, it's hard to keep track

Anyway maybe it's the shape of the pressure cooker, mine measures about 8.25 inches diameter, and I fill it 4 inches deep. I guess once you subtract the volume for the bird itself, it's probably closer to 2.5 quarts of water, but who knows. I don't actually measure.
>>
>>7775009
enjoy having shards of broken glass all over your freezer
>>
>>7775420
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I'll say this much: skin and meat aren't as flavourful as bones and cartilage for making stock and since skin and meat are useful in other applications, I don't use them for stock making. IE, my 1kg of bones and cartilage is more flavourful than 1kg of bones, skin, meat and cartilage so your stock would be considerably weaker than mine overall.

Also, might I ask: what herbs, spices and veg do you add to yours?
I don't add anything to my stocks besides bone and cartilage. I cook food from a wide variety of influences, so if I flavour a chicken stock in the traditional way my family would (marjoram and lovage), it wouldn't go well for making chicken curry soup (fatty or otherwise), cockieleekie or American chicken and dumplings soup.
>>
>>7775458
On the contrary, the whole thing combined gives a much more flavorful stock than just the bones alone. The skin is literally pure maillard products, after all. I've done it without the skin and it's quite a bit less dark. And quite a bit of that meat has connective tissue in it that gets eaten if you strip it off - the wings and legs particularly.

I don't add anything, just the roasted bird straight out of the package. I use it for a variety of things so I'm not looking to create a finished product. Tonight I'm making doro wat, for example. I'll use some of my stored, reduced frozen cubes for that.
>>
>>7775432
Not him and not that I would use mason jars for stock but it would be fine if you underfill.
>>
The easiest way to make stock is to get an electric pressure cooker. Then, you can just save your bones/scraps/etc, cover them with water, and set it to run at high pressure for an hour or so. Most of them even automatically go into a keep warm mode at the end, so you don't even need to be there for when it ends. Just strain it sometime in the next 24 hours.
>>
>>7775485
Oh shit, this sounds really nice, I didn't know electrics could do that. Is it timer based, or is there some kind of safeguard like with a rice cooker? Might be time to get rid of my 10 year old stovetop cooker
>>
>buy chicken thighs in bulk
>remove bones and store them in freezer bag when prepping
>make stock when I think I have enough bones.
So as it turns out I've been severely underestimating the proper ration of chicken to water. Seriouseats says you want at least a pound per quart (or about a half kg per liter) and I was using 2 or 3 times as much water than I should've.

Small wonder it never gelled up in the fridge.

Anyway, do you guys keep your stocks going at a gentle or a rougher simmer? Will it lose flavor if you let it go too long?

>>7775487
I can tell you from experience that pressure cookers are absolutely the way to go if you want a deep, rich stock in a relatively short period of time. The electric ones are timer based - they turn off after they're supposed to be done if that's what you mean. Since they're well insulated, and whatever inside them was boiled to hell and back, there shouldn't be any problems leaving them on the counter for a few hours so long as you don't open it up. It should be fine even if you do.
>>
Usually I save chicken bones or shrimp tails in the freezer until I have enough, then just simmer with whatever you want (usually pepper, bay leaf, and onion).

Chinese grocery store has the best deal on beef bones, so I make about four gallons of that and freeze.

If you don't make your own stock, then use paste. Better than bouillon is pretty great and lasts pretty much forever. Reduced sodium is best, because you can add more than what is asks for to increase the flavor, but not worry about the saltiness. Hell, I usually throw a scoop of it when I'm making home-made stock.
>>
>>7775508
Yeah I have a pressure cooker, been using it for 10 years, as it says in my post

I just assumed electrics were basically the same as stovetop but with buttons and a cord

How does it know when it's "supposed to be done", is it strictly timer or is there some thermal sensor like a rice cooker?
>>
>>7775516
I think most of them are strictly on a timer. You don't really have to worry about underextraction though, since they're fucking powerful. My mom sets her to go for 40 minutes when making soup or stock.

>>7775513
How much do beef bones cost where you are? I'm a little hesitant to start buying animal parts just for stocks because the cost adds up quick.
>>
>>7775524
Yeah mostly I'm just worried about burning down my building, I like rice cookers because I trust them when I'm not home. Being able to do laundry and make stock at the same time would be nice.
>>
>>7775524
It's like 12 bucks for 6 big ones (don't have the package, so don't know weight, I'd say each one is about the volume of a soda can, a little fatter but shorter). Makes about two gallons in 4 hours or whatever.
>>
>>7774581
For me, stock is a byproduct. I rarely set out to make stock. It's just leftovers and a pot simmering away in the kitchen while I unwind for the evening. Takes 15 minutes in total if you include adding veg and straining it etc. Surprised someone on a cooking board finds that too much time!
>>
Anyone made stock from greasy fish leftovers?

I have a mackerel head, spine, tail. I figure using more water and maybe adding aromatics to balance the greasiness? I'll be using it for savoury soup anyway.
>>
>>7775896
>Surprised someone on a cooking board finds that too much time!

Decent stock can take a long time to make properly. For red meats like beef it can easily take 8...10...12 hours to do it properly with an open pot. A pressure cooker can reduce that time by a great deal, but it's still a few hours.

IMHO, pressure cooker times:
-chicken: 1 hour 30 min
-pork: 2 hours
-beef: 3 hours if the bones are cut small, longer if they are uncut/unbroken

triple those times if using an open pot.
>>
>>7776912
>Anyone made stock from greasy fish leftovers?

Sure. tastes great.

Don't worry about the "greasiness", aka fat. That doesn't mix with the water, it floats on top. you can skim it off (or not) as you like.

Like most stocks, standard recipe is 8 lbs scraps yields 1 gal (4 qt/liter) or stock.
>>
>get shit
>put it in a fucking pot
>fill with water
>make it hot
>leave it

.. STOCK!
>>
>>7776992
I wouldn't use steak drippings for stock
>>
>>7777123
Why not? fucking put everything in there. Got some old onions? Cut em in half and throw em in, skin and all. Got some left over meat cuts? Throw it in. Literally use anything/everything
>>
>>7777129
>Why not?

Because drippings are fat, and fat dones't mix with water, therefore it's a fool's errand. Nothing other than a waste of time.

Onions and meat scraps make perfect sense. Pure fat? No, that makes no sense.
>>
>>7777137
Then skim it with the rest of the crap and filter it out at the end anyways like your supposed to do. Literally who gives a fuck man.
>>
>>7777141
>Literally who gives a fuck man.

Why put it in in the first place if all you're going to do is skim it out?

...especially when beef drippings have so many other uses, like using the fat to fry/saute things in.
>>
>>7777143
you dont sorta just do stuff in the kitchen just because some times?
>>
>>7777147

Sure, I do a lot of experimentation and whatnot. but damn, man, apply your brain.

This particular example makes no sense:

>>let's add fat to something and then take it out again!

...that's nothing other than wasted time/effort and wasted drippings that could have been better used for something else.
>>
What do you use stock for? Basically just a flavourful substitution for water? Would you boil rice or vegetables in stock?
>>
>>7777192
you dont boil rice and vegetables should generally be roasted before boiling the shit out of them. In theory you could do anything though.

Sorta just flavorful water substitute.

>>7777158
I don't know. When I make stock i just shut my brain off for a bit. At that point im just too tired to anything.
>>
>>7777192
>What do you use stock for?

Countless things:
boiling food in in place of water
reducing to make sauces or glaze

>>Would you boil rice or vegetables in stock?
Depends on the dish, of course. But usually In stock. Same for making soup.
>>
I made stock once and put it in the fridge after and it turned to jelly
>>
>>7777276
>it turned to jelly

It's supposed to. You did it right.
>>
>>7777209
>you dont boil rice
maybe not if you're using shit rice
>>
>>7774581
Someone who's paid for their time. Making your own stock is something you only do if you need complete control over the ingredients used in dishes.
Especially if you have a lot of bones lying around already.

Or if you absolutely have to extract every last calorie from your food, and store it for long periods.
>>
>>7777276
That's a good thing, it means there's a good amount of gelatin in it. It gives it such a nice texture, compared to watery stocks you'll find in most stores.
>>
>>7777777
>>
>>7774938
i use high pressure cooker, stock in no time.
>>
>>7777143
>Why put it in in the first place if all you're going to do is skim it out?
drippings definitely are not 100% fat
the good flavor stuff will meld into the stock and you can skim the fat out

dude this is like deglazing 101
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.