[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Low amperage cooking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: img-thing.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
Hi /ck/ I just started with a company that have inverters in the trucks. I was told they are 1500w. I can run my gaming laptop on it. I was told not to go over 750 amps for cooking appliances. What are some good appliances I can get to cook rice and mabey a skillet or crock pot. Will these things work on only 750amps?
>>
File: 1359424847821.png (253 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
1359424847821.png
253 KB, 500x382
i only know about burgers, i know nothing about magnets or whatever you're talking about
>>
>>7765838
>750 amps
>only 750A

I-I don't know what to say.
>>
Damn
>>
>>7765838
>750 Amps

Dont plug that shit in, OP. Calm that shit down, Doctor Brown.
>>
OK I found it under my bunk its a 1500 2500 peak inverter I can run an elec skillet on that I think
>>
>>7765838
You need to learn your electrical units because surely you are not meaning to say 750 amps
>>
Eri was such a best.
>>
>>7766730
Literally just a red-headed Mafuyu
>>
File: >750A.jpg (465 KB, 1290x864) Image search: [Google]
>750A.jpg
465 KB, 1290x864
750 amps is about enough to stir fry on a wok
>>
>only 750amps

This anon is literally going for his Darwin Award.
>>
>>7765838
>will these things work on only 750 amps
>only 750 amps
Even assuming 12V that's 9 kilowatts.
Careful there anon...
>>
I dunno electrical very good I'm just telling y'all wut the shop guy said. He may be idiot though. idk
>>
>>7767805

Someone is surely confusing watts for amps.

Anyway, very few cooking appliances are that low power. the basic test would be as follows:
if it WARMS the food then you're fine.
If it gets hot enough to sear/burn then, no, it won't work.

Rice cooker, crock pot, etc, will work.
Electric skillet, nope.

If in doubt just read the specs on the appliance you want to use and see what the wattage rating is.
>>
>>7765838
Dude. Get a camping stove and use propane or coleman fuel for generating cooking heat.
>>
No gas stoves company policy
>>
>>7767805

He's an idiot and I'm not sure how you got through high school with understanding basic science. Didn't you have a shop class or at the very least?

Your battery provides 750A but that's only to start the motor. A typical household electrical panel is 100A. You have all the power you need, you can run any appliance you want with a 1500w inverter and your truck, hell you could light up a city block. You can probably run a griddle or a hot water heater off your battery long enough to cook a meal although I don't know why you'd ever be parked that long.

get a skillet, a kettle and a small microwave and you're all set
>>
>>7765838
Sauce on image?
>>
I'm a trucker you moron I have a GED and never finished high school. Also as far being parked I'm a solo driver. Uncle Sam says I have to be down for at least 10 hours.
>>
>>7769288
>>7769288
Does your rig have the new activity/mobility monitors in it? tough to buck a GPS monitor and cheat on that shit these days

There's a ton of shit for long haulers, just go here and buy what you need

http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-microwave-wavebox/12-volt-microwave.htm

IMO you're gonna want a decent semi-ruggedized laptop and 4G card for it most of all
>>
>>7769288
>never finished high school
>you moron
>>
>>7765838

Remember, P=VI, although with AC it can get a bit tricky. All kinds of things like effective load, etc. And P-P vs. RMS. So you know what the voltage everything expects in Murica right? 120V

So the max current you could use would be 1500w / 120V or around 10A. Basically, you got one full Murican household mains circuit to play with. So, if whatever will run on one household circuit without tripping anything, it'll run on your inverter.

I dunno, the inverter probably has a circuit breaker built into it, just plug your crock-pot in and see if it works. If it doesn't, you got your answer.

Keep in mind any sort of resistive load meant to generate heat will draw lots of current and if you're on battery power, it will suck that battery dry. If you're on alternator or generator power, and it's designed to handle the load then it's not a problem.
>>
>>7766713
I dunno, maybe he was thinking about doing some arc welding of some kind while out on the open road?
>>
>>7769419
That could come in handy
>>
>>7769288
Perhaps if you had finished high school, you wouldn't have had to suffer the humiliation of having to ask the internet about something that you would've known how to answer for yourself.
>>
>>7765838
I'm guessing that the 750A is what the truck's alternator can supply. I'm guessing the current rating is so high because the voltage is rather low, like 12VDC low.

Again, P=VI. I'm guessing that the truck's alternator puts out 12VDC. I have no idea about those big rig diesels, but 12VDC is standard in the automotive world. So, 12V x 750A = 9000w or 9Kw

That's *well* below anything the inverter you say you have is willing to do. But do keep that figure in mind if you decide to start plugging in 12VDC devices (and there's a market for all kinds of small gadgets that can run on 12VDC sold at truck stops)

Plug in too many and you'll fry your alternator and then you'll be calling your boss to tell him about more things you never bothered to learn in school.
>>
>>7769416
this post is propa fit
>>
>>7769398
>>7769429
> has ged
> never finished hs.
> ged is literally finishing hs.
> 2016
> this retarded.
>>
>>7770561
ged ain't finishing highschool only people with geds really believe it's the same thing.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.