[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Savory flavors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Logo_savory_60's[1].png (219 KB, 1024x899) Image search: [Google]
Logo_savory_60's[1].png
219 KB, 1024x899
How do I achieve "savory" flavors when cooking meat? I lightly season (salt, pepper, garlic) and pan fray meat (chicken, beef, pork) in olive oil and it tastes good but it's lacking that deep, rich savory flavor that local restaurants' food provide. Is it just MSG + butter?
>>
use paprika
>>
>>7763273
Invest in a cast iron pan, season it properly, get it smoking hot, add seasoned meat. Also, buying quality meat helps. Cheap meat, especially beef, tends to not be as meaty.
>>
File: Umami-built.jpg (1016 KB, 2025x984) Image search: [Google]
Umami-built.jpg
1016 KB, 2025x984
>>7763273
>Is it just MSG + butter?
Essentially. What we think of as savory or umami flavors are mostly substances from a combination of glutamates & nucleotides which work together. These explains it well along with food items rich in those substances you should add to your recipes.
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6457-amping-up-savoriness-in-food
http://www.ramenchemistry.com/blog?tag=Umami+Science
>>
>>7763280
What effect does a cast iron pan have in this scenario? Better browning?

>>7763276
Will do
>>
>>7763341
kek, tl;dr
>>
>>7763273
Shouldn't be using olive oil to pan fry stuff, at least not beef steaks; even the refined stuff isn't meant to be used at such a high heat. I suggest peanut or rapeseed oil instead. You need to get it as hot as you can to get a proper sear, which will cause the Maillard Effect (glutamates and nucleotides) where all the savory and deliciousness comes from. You do this even if you're going to for example roast or braise something. You sear it in a pan first then finish off cooking it in whatever method you're going to use.
>>
>>7763374
>What effect does a cast iron pan have in this scenario? Better browning?

Yes, it holds onto heat better than most pans. Doing a sear and baked steak with one is the way to go, imo.
>>
>>7763468
You don't even need oil. I always sear my steaks just on the cast iron and get great crusts.
>>
>>7763468
What's wrong with regular olive oil? I know EVOO shouldn't be heated too high but I haven't heard that about regular olive oil. In fact, all the oil threads on /ck/ told me it was fine the last time I asked.
>>
>>7763477
Does it make much difference with chicken? Beef prices around here are through the roof and I've been buying chicken mostly
>>
>>7763273
Add umami.
>>
>>7763487
I guess it would depend on the cut of meat and how much fat it has. They mentioned other things like pork and chicken and for those you would need some oil.
>>
>>7763532
Not really if you have a decent stainless pan. I've always preferred roast or BBQ chicken anyway.
>>
>>7763537
I usually do sous vide flat iron steaks.
>>
>>7763535
so MSG?
>>
>>7763530
>What's wrong with regular olive oil?

Nothing. regular olive oil is refined and it has a high smoke point. There are other oils which have an even higher one, such as the grapeseed the other guy mentioned but plain olive oil is plenty good enough.
>>
>>7763273
It's all about the sear, OP. Searing = Malliard Reactions = Savory taste.
>>
>>7764694
What are the advantages of a higher smoke point? Just how hot do you need to cook chicken or pork if you are pan frying? I understand with steak you want a nice sear.
>>
>>7764873
>What are the advantages of a higher smoke point?

Not much, really. A smoke point in the high 300's F is perfectly sufficient. Though like anything else some people sperg out about the numbers and assume that higher is better.

>>a nice sear
You want that on any kind of meat, not just steak. chicken breast? Sear. pork chop? Sear.
>>
>>7764884
Ok I think I equate searing to steaks and not so much with chicken which you want cooked through. Should I start on a high heat and then back it down when pan frying?
>>
>>7764896
>>Should I start on a high heat and then back it down when pan frying?

Yes.
>>
>>7764896

I do that or I roast it after it has a nice sear
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.