[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ROUX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: failed roux.jpg (73 KB, 378x672) Image search: [Google]
failed roux.jpg
73 KB, 378x672
How the fuck do I make this shit?
>This was my second attempt
>i used 1 cup of vegetable oil
>1 cup of flour
>stir at a good pace for about 10 minutes
>see that it's lumpy

How the fuck are you supposed to do this? I didn't stop stirring once, yet it still ended up like this.
>>
I'd try with butter instead of oil
>>
>>7761049

add more oil

plus what do you need that much roux for
>>
Heat down, more oil. I've literally never messed up a roux, and it's one of the first things I tried. What are you even making with that amount?
>>
>>7761065
>>7761062
just trying to thicken up a curry.
I wasn't planning on using all of it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roux
>>
>>7761084
what, are you planning to save the extra?

It's not worth it, just make it in smaller batched from scrratch.

also you need to use more oil/fat, and might need to turn the temp down.
>>
>>7761084
use potatoes to thicken curry
>>
>>7761049
>1 cup
Jesus christ that's a fucking ton
>>
Man from Louisiana here. Add more oil. The oil needs to be about 1/4 to 1/2 more than flour. It also needs to be cooked to a darker brown. You can also lets the food settle and scoop oil out later if you think its too much. You can also trying making it in the microwave. Add normal proportion and nuke it for 1:30 to 2 min. Then 30 sec at a time stirring in between each time till its your desired darkness. This process is slower but works.
>>
>>7761209
>roux in a microwave
fucc off
>>
>>7761084
Just make a tablespoon or three, you doughnut.
>>
>roux
>vegetable oil

What? I thought you have to use butter.
>>
>>7761209
Idk if it "needs" to be darker...
>>
>>7761157

how is this not the first comment?

this motherfucker op is using ONE CUP OF FLOUR with one cup of oil
>>
>>7761049
you make beurre manie (1:1 butter and flour by volume, swish it around in a pan until it's the color you need it to be but no less than one minute)
from that you can make any of the sauces by just adding water
your mistake there is having used so much flour and water
for a sauce that will suffice for two portions of whatever food you need about a tablespoon each
so now that you have this unholy mess, take two tablespoons of it and slowly dilute with warm water, while stirring
presto-change-o
it is impossible to fuck up a roux if you don't set up to make one in a single step like a retard
>>
>>7761560
> so much flour and water
flour and oil, sorry
>>
>>7761049
Just add your liquid to it and wait. It'll look lumpy as shit at first, but once the it comes up to temperature the lumps will smooth out.

Also
>i used 1 cup of vegetable oil
>1 cup of flour
Holy fuck are you trying to escape Alcatraz by turning the sea into cake.
>>
File: 1464448949305s.jpg (3 KB, 112x125) Image search: [Google]
1464448949305s.jpg
3 KB, 112x125
To OP and all other dumb yanks here.

You do NOT make a roux with oil. You can achieve a roux like that, albeit a shit one, but that's not a legitimate roux.

And no, not margarine you fucks.
>>
>>7761488
Any fat can be used for roux

>>7761617
The world does not revolve around French cooking, anon

Okay, it probably does, but still, any fat can be used for roux
>>
>>7761661
I make a roux for my sausage gravy by putting flour into the sausage drippings
>>
>>7761049
A good dark roux takes at least 30 min, and you are using the wrong kind of pan; you should be using a heavy Dutch oven. At any rate you don't need a roux to thicken curry. Cornstarch and H20 will work fine.
>>
>>7761049

Start with a smaller amount. I do this and it's never failed me:

1. Quarter cup of saturated fat (butter, ghee, coconut oil) in a pan, turn to medium-low
2. When the oil is shimmery, start shaking (like 1/2 - 1 tsp at a time) flour into the oil while quickly whisking with a rubber whisk. Add flour only after fully incorporating the existing flour
3. Increase heat to medium and keep whisking to prevent clumps and keep it from burning
4. Allow to brown to whatever degree you want
5. Add broth or milk or whatever to the roux slowly while whisking, then use this thickened broth/milk to thicken whatever dish you need thickened.
>>
>>7761617

why did the french invent margarine if they didn't want to use it?

checkmate muslims
>>
>>7761857
IRCC it was for napoleons army
>>
>>7761049
is fucking up roux a meme? how is it even possible to to fuck this up?
>>
I literally never cook my roux more than a few seconds and it has never failed to work.
>>
>>7761864
wrong napoleon
>>
I use 1 Tbsp flour and 1 Tbsp butter. Melt the butter in a saucier, sprinkle the flour on top of the butter, use a flat whisk to mix the two ingredients and cook the flour.

When you detect a kind of nut-like fragrance, add a cup of chicken or beef stock, stir that up, let it simmer down and thicken while you prepare the rest of the meal. Don't burn it. Add water if it gets too thick.
>>
>>7761049
>vegetable oil
YOU USE BUTTER FOR A ROUX YOU FUCKING NIGGER
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.