[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you make a roux with sesame oil?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
I tried making Japanese curry tonight, but I didn't have enough packaged curry roux, I was wondering if I could just use sesame oil and flour to thicken it?

If not I could just use vegetable oil. What do you think?
>>
>>7760800
if you have cornstarch, use that instead. or better yet, arrowroot. arrowroot is the most authentic thickener for azn dishes
>>
I think you should go buy some coconut milk.
>>
thats a nice lookin 'go 'za my dude!
>>
>>7760807
i'll be getting it from vons, pretty sure i won't be able to find arrow root, so I'll use cornstarch.

I still think it would taste really fucking good to add roux to it. Imagine curry with the deep flavor of gumbo.
>>
>>7760800
That's some nice extra hard crust 'go 'za. I love it.
>>
>>7760800
I wouldnt use sesame oil
>>7760811
>>7760815
pls go
>>
>>7760800

>Japanese curry
Sounds like you should be using potato to thicken the roux, then. The packaged curry roux is always just a bit too thin for my liking - or perhaps it's meant to have starchy vegetables added in?
>>
Demi-Jap here.
When the Jap part of my family first moved to Europe, curry roux was non-existent in the EU, so they made it with solid cooking fat (not sure what the English word is, but I think it might be shortening), flour, grated ginger and some other things, including curry powder. Not Japanese curry powder, though, because that wasn't available at the time.

The made a medium-dark roux then offed the heat and stirred in all the other ingredients until the sizzling stopped.
>>
You don't ever cook sesame oil.
>>
You could, but you shouldn't. Sesame oil is strong stuff, and the amount needed to make a roux would overpower any other flavor going into the dish.
>>
>>7760800
It would be rather sesame-e.
>>
>>7760800
>roux
>sesame oil

jesus christ I threw up in my mouth

also, why'd you post a pic of an Authentic Chicago Style Pizza?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.