[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my best mate is a chef and he's entering a serious competition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
my best mate is a chef and he's entering a serious competition in a few months

we're trying to flesh out a recipe for an entree with a medium portion of white fish

only other rules are that the cost has to below $15 per serve, nothing is to be deep fried (not sure why), and it needs to be plated in an hour along with a main we already have sorted out
>>
we're thinking an acid-cooked piece of fish, served over a fish stock jelly, with a rocket puree sauce
but thoughts are still varied
>>
>>7760652

an hour might not be enough time for that, also sounds pretty bland
>>
what's the main? the entree will obviously need to compliment it
>>
make ceviche a la king with a turnip puff and garnished with new greens
>>
>>7760734
we were thinking about an acid cooked, cold smoked cheviche on a fish soup jelly with a rocket puree

>>7760677
like I said, it's a technical competition so pairing doesn't need to be a consideration

>>7760675
we are aiming for clean and crisp, but we've been toying with the idea of dill or other flavourings
we're trying to get the base ingredients and presentation down before we focus too much on the flavours
>>
>>7760648
how many mise en place time you have? 1 hour for two dishes???
>>
>>7760742
there is no mis en plce time specified, the rules aren't that well defined

we can't pre-prepare anything but stock, and vegetables can be washed and stems removed but that's it

the competition is designed for line chefs I think, so speed, hygiene and efficiency re the main aims
>>
> serious competition
> 1hour time / 2 dishes
> no rules specified

that's not serious mate...

when you make a new dish think about contrasts

hot/warm
sweet/sour
crispy/soft
hard/creamy

etc
>>
>main we already have sorted out
so you mean
>help us design a complement to our dish
>what dish?
>n-not telling
>>
>>7760652
your idea is bad and you should feel bad
if you're allowed fish stock, you can make Halászlé in like 10 minutes
put some gussied-up garlick bread next to it and bob's your uncle
>>
>>7760739

at no point did you say technical competition, but anyway, acid cooking is like the least technical thing you can do to fish, and also one hour is definitely not enough time to cold smoke something
>>
>>7760648
straight up, sous-vide some mother fucking parrot fish or ocean trout. everyone will gobble that shit right down their meaty gullets and come licking at your boot heels for more. no matter what you put it with.
>>
>>7760797
eh. what OP means is he's aide cuisinier in some restaurant and the chef will be holding a competition to see who gets moved up to commis
>>
>>7760739
>cold smoked cheviche on a fish soup jelly with a rocket puree

everything is goo. flavor may be OK but where's the textures at?
>>
File: IMG_1399.jpg (155 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1399.jpg
155 KB, 1280x960
always surf and turf

always
>>
>>7760652
Hmmmm, I don't care for that. Sorry.

I'd do a butter-poach on the fish, then serve over a tomato-chive salad (since they're in season now and will taste exceptionally ripe and be inexpensive), and then top with basil-lemon "caviar". Optionally, put a piece of grilled bread on the side, or make the tomato salad a panzanella. The butter poaching will provide the richness that the acid components will complement.
That's just off the top of my head.
>>
>>7761011

would order that on a menu, sounds super hot
>>
>>7760652

If you're going to acid cook you should look into more exotic acids instead of your typical lime or lemon. Compare pH levels of various other fruits from other ethnic cultures and see which one has a similar acid level compared to say lime which is also used in acid cooking for ceviche.
>>
>>7761073

>If you're going to acid cook you should look into more exotic acids instead of your typical lime or lemon

why
>>
>>7761077

Because judges eat that shit up.

Put a burger in front of someone and they've seen it a thousand times.
Put a burger with exotic meat in front of someone and they become interested.
>>
>>7760652

>jelly
>puree

Don't wank about with your food. If something is improved by being a jelly or a puree by all means do it but don't fuck with shit for the sake of fucking with shit.
>>
pan fry fish while basting it with garlic butter, crispy skin for fucks sake, pico de gallo, flat bread
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.