[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you add to a plain cheese sandwich? Preferably things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10
File: chiz.jpg (724 KB, 2060x1236) Image search: [Google]
chiz.jpg
724 KB, 2060x1236
What would you add to a plain cheese sandwich?

Preferably things that keep for a while, so no un-pickled vegetables or fruit, or slices of meat and all that.
>>
I wonder if a sweet kind of jam would go well together with some cheese? Fruit and cheese together is pretty good already.
>>
>>7759272
How pickled vegetables or fruit and sliced meat?
>>
Tuna (with onions, mayo, salt, pepper, and diced celery)
>>
Anything spicy. I add pickles and Sriracha to my cheese sandwiches.
>>
Vegemite
>>
If you dip your tomato slices into mayo before adding them they'll be just fine many hours later.
>>
Try some kind of fermented cabbage with it. It's all I can really think of.
>>
pepper jams
pickles
mustard
>>
File: steakum.jpg (34 KB, 216x246) Image search: [Google]
steakum.jpg
34 KB, 216x246
this
>>
File: 1.jpg (66 KB, 634x433) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
66 KB, 634x433
>>7759272

That looks like Branston Pickle in your pic. I discovered this stuff a few years ago and have been hooked on it ever since. It goes so well with sharp British-style cheddars or really any sharp, aged cheese.

It's a chutney but a very uniquely-flavored one with a zillion different veggies and fruits. Try it if you can find it! The international section of your grocery store might have it, or if you have something like a World Market near you, then you can get it there.
>>
>>7759272
Ham, cheese and pickles
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 275x183
more cheese
>>
>>7759275
red onion jam is nice and sweet with cheese
>>
>>7759272
Chutney, Branston pickle, sliced dill pickle, hot cherry peppers, pepperocini, artichoke tapenade, olive tapenade, lingonberry jam, whole grain mustard, pesto, pickled asparagus, pickled garlic (delicious, but mind your breath), chow chow, piccalilli, apple butter, apricot butter, plum butter, jarred roasted sweet peppers, sardines, tuna, fruit and vegetable purees that they sell in the baby food isle that you can season to taste.
>>
File: What - Cosby.jpg (51 KB, 401x270) Image search: [Google]
What - Cosby.jpg
51 KB, 401x270
>>7759363
>British-style cheddar
As opposed to?
>>
>>7759412
You know, I've never even thought about eating baby food but it sounds kind of good as a spread.
>>
>>7759415

What we think of as cheddar in the U.S. is rather different from what one would find in the U.K.
>>
Little bit of butter and some heat.
>>
>>7759420

That's not technically true. I mean generally it is, but Vermont cave-aged cheddar is almost exactly the same as Irish cheddar.
>>
When I still lived in Germany I used to put peanut butter on gouda sandwiches.It's pretty good.
>>
>>7759416
They are kind of underrated honestly.

Just stick to the veggies and fruit though.
>>
>>7759416
Yep. You can use it as a spread, in dips, in smoothies, and I also use some of the fruit based baby food as oil replacement in muffins and quick bread (Beech Nut makes an avocado-pineapple-pear baby food that's perfect for that).
The thing about baby food is that it doesn't have any additives or crap in it, and it's shelf stable. It's pretty nifty to use, although people look at me funny sometimes when I'm buying it, but who fucking cares?
>>
>>7759412

>pickled garlic

Oh dear god it is the best. Or pickled olives stuffed with garlic.
>>
>>7759272
Vegemite
>>
>>7759322
>mayo

way to ruin a perfectly good sandwich
>>
File: 1465266925928.jpg (28 KB, 400x406) Image search: [Google]
1465266925928.jpg
28 KB, 400x406
>>7759449

It's just oil, egg yolk and vinegar.

You fucking faggot.
>>
>>7759449

90% of all sandwiches are shit without mayo, and putting any ingredient on a sandwich where it doesn't belong is always bad; it's not like mayo - the most ubiquitous sandwich condiment - is anything particularly heinous.
>>
>>7759420
Is this another one of those Americans steal the name of a European cheese and slaps it on a local ripoff things?
>>
>>7759461
>90% of all sandwiches are shit without mayo
Well, that is just blatantly untrue and completely subjective. I like mayonnaise, but there's plenty of sandwiches that are great without it or with a different condiment.
>>
I don't get OP criteria....

You only want things that will keep for a while, for cheese....the food item that perishes quicker than anything else?
>>
>>7759420
Bullshit.
At any grocery store in my neighborhood, you can buy both american "cheddar" and actual Cheddar imported from England. Of course we know the fucking difference, and it's huge.
>>
>>7759483
Cheese actually doesn't need to be refrigerated, unless it's very hot in your home. Why do you think it was invented in the first place? It keeps well and travels well.
>>
>>7759482

Not him but- if I have mustard on a sandwich it has to have mayo as well. It needs it to keep the mustard from seeping into the bread. A light coating will do.
>>
remove cheese and replace with peanut butter and jelly.
>>
>>7759483
If you buy small enough blocks, and keep them sealed in the fridge, you can have cheese for several months.

But even opened, cheese lasts much longer than salami or whatever.
>>
File: giada22.jpg (25 KB, 366x400) Image search: [Google]
giada22.jpg
25 KB, 366x400
>>7759523
>or whatever.

'go style whatever, maybe?
>>
>>7759508
>what is butter
>>
>>7759530
Interesting. Would that be good as a cold sandwich? Just bread, butter, cheese, and tomato sauce?
>>
>>7759539

Butter is more difficult to spread and where I live (unless you buy it from the Amish) you get these shitty little packages that are super overpriced.

Guess I need to just start buying my butter from the Amish at the farmer's market. I just don't like being asked to sign fucking petitions all the time or stupid knick-knacks and knitted hats.
>>
>>7759544
Maybe if you used a tomato tapenade, not just tomato sauce. Or chopped up some sun dried tomatoes and added them plus seasonings to the butter (making a tomato and herb compound butter, essentially) before you spread it on the sandwich.
>>
>>7759272
Marmite or cold ketchup.
>>
>>7759554
were do you live? i just moved near Lancaster
>>
>>7759491

But you wouldn't know the difference unless you actually bothered to go try the British stuff. Most people just get a block of Kraft or whatever and think that's the only kind of cheddar.
>>
>>7759659

Montana.

We have great agriculture if you know where to look. We have the best of almost everything but most grocery stores stock dog dick from the central US.
>>
>>7759428
>Irish cheddar.
Cheddar is the name of an English village, why bring up Ireland?
>>
>>7759669
Not that anon, but I used to live in Troy
Northwest corner of the state about twenty miles from Libby
>>
Brinjal / aubergine / eggplant pickle is the only true answer.

For bonus points try instead putting a slice of cheese with a slice of apple and pickle atop a digestive biscuit. British cuisine at its finest.
>>
>>7759272
Cheese, pickled onions, lettuce.
>>
>>7759691

I was born in Missoula. Great view but the people are cunts.
>>
>>7759663
I don't think that's true anymore. Maybe twenty years ago, but now, with the exception of food deserts, everyone has access (or at least the information) to know the difference, and try it. The only time I buy typical American cheddar (and I buy Tillamook) is when I'm making TexMex. Otherwise, I buy English Cheddar, and the more aged, the better.
>>
>>7759440
I forgot RED ONION JAM.
Now that is some fucking good shit on a cheese sandwich.
>>
>>7759272
Picallilli
>>
>>7759272
Pickled onions.
>>
>>7759698
>digestive biscuit
Fuck that, Jacobs cream crackers are the best for cheese, that or wheat thins.
>>
File: 1464743421599.jpg (20 KB, 406x536) Image search: [Google]
1464743421599.jpg
20 KB, 406x536
>>7759775

>digestive biscuit

What in the ever-loving fuck is a "digestive biscuit?"
>>
>>7759788
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestive_biscuit

Can you seriously not google this stuff?
>>
>>7759272
Why not some kind of cured meat?
>>
>>7759685
Because America.
>>
>>7759803

You can seriously fuck off.

It's more interesting to hear a description from another person than it is to check wikipedia.
>>
>>7759931
>It's more interesting to hear a description from another person than it is to check wikipedia.
fag
>>
>>7759805

From this thread, I've come under the direct impression that it's a vegetarian hug box.
>>
>>7759931
It is a digestive biscuit, a biscuit once made to aid digestion, the clue is in the fucking name.
>>
>>7759933

>not wanting an interesting conversation

I hear there are some blocks that need stacking in Fuck Off Bay.
>>
File: inglinsammich.jpg (322 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
inglinsammich.jpg
322 KB, 1200x1600
Fuck I miss when I lived in England if not only just for the sandwiches.

You could find "cardboard" sandwiches anywhere and they were usually delicious. Ploughman's lunch and English breakfast were my favorite.

I've tried to recreate a proper inglin sammich but I just can't find the right cheese or any branson pickle or brown sauce.
>>
>>7759965

that looks like some sheetz tier garbage right there
>>
>>7759967

Probably not the best pic,.hastily downloaded but seriously ploughman's lunch showed me I can like a sandwihc without meat.

Although breakfast sandwich was mvp next to christmas lunch.
>>
>>7759361

I bought these recently and was pretty pissed off that it was only steak and didn't come with the whole sandwich. Don't you think it's false advertising?
>>
>>7759272 (OP)
Sriracha, mayo if my stomach is upset
>>
File: burgers.jpg (468 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
burgers.jpg
468 KB, 2000x2000
>>7760213
Every product does that. It helps if you read the box.
>>
>>7759272
Nothing. Then it wouldn't be a plain cheese sandwich.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.