[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dish washing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 16
File: dishwasher.jpg (21 KB, 293x257) Image search: [Google]
dishwasher.jpg
21 KB, 293x257
Hey /ck/

I just started washing dishes for a local BBQ place and I am slow as fuck. Can you guys give me any tips on how to get faster?

I stay on top the dishes pretty well, it's just closing that ends up fucking me over. I talked to the owner and he said it normally takes him about 30 mins to close, but it has taken me about an hour and a half... I'm am embarrassed by this since I have a couple of co-workers who have to wait for me to finish. They're nice and all and don't rush me or say anything mean to my face, but I bet they don't really like closing with me, I know I wouldn't.

I've only worked two shifts and don't work again till Friday, so I have sometime to get a game plan together.

>YES I HAVE AUTISM FORGIVE ME IF THIS SOUNDS RETARDED. I JUST HATE MAKING PEOPLE WAIT FOR MY SLOW ASS.
>>
>>7756933
Ask your boss to show you, in exactly the way you've just conveyed.
>>
>>7756933
You're probably doing too good of a job. Happens in every job. You'll figure out a good balance of quality and speed.
>>
>>7756933
drink like 3 energy drinks and you will do everything fast as fuck
>>
>>7756933

Have you considered cocaine?
>>
>>7756952
my friend used to work in the kitchen of a place where everyone but him was on cocaine, and the head dude you just come up and yell at him "ARE YOU OK"
>>
>>7756952
Yeah I think half the staff I work with are on some type of drug. I like the atmosphere, they're all Mexicans and play their music and prank each other all day. It's fun as fuck.
>>
I got a job washing dishes when I was a teenager, and I had the same problem you do.

One day, the owner told one of the cooks to "show me how to do it" and the cook quickly washed all the dishes that were dirty--he did everything so fast, the plates were "washed" within literally minutes. The owner than told me "can you do that?"

I noticed there were legit stuck-on food on the supposedly clean plates and pointed this out. I pulled out one of the dishes, and there were smears of food residue on the top. On the bottom of all the plates, there was also residue and stuck-on food. The owner said "well, maybe he did it too fast, but you shouldn't take so long."

The truth is that quality takes time. If you want to do a good job, you do a thorough job. and that takes time and there aren't any ways around it.

I actually ended up quitting that job within a month and got a much better one that pays almost double.

So...I dunno. I guess the tl;dr is find a better job.
>>
Literally everyone sucks when they first start working BoH.

There's no game plan, just think about what you can do better next time and try to improve every night. It's strange that two people have to wait for you to be done; usually the dishwasher is the last person there aside from the manager.

Everybody hates working with the new guy, but if you don't half ass it you'll get more efficient every shift and people will start to respect you as part of the team. That's just how it works (unless you just suck).
>>
>>7757018
Thanks man, I was really worried that I might be to retarded for this job or something. I see what you mean. The first shift I couldn't keep up with the dishes, then the second shift came and I did them so fast I was just sitting around waiting for more dishes to arrive. I guess I'm just panicking for no reason.
>>
>>7757004

I've worked a few line cook jobs, and if I get two plates with shit still caked on them I'll call out the dishwasher and tell them to redo the entire stack.

If a cook sends out dirty plates it's on him, not the dishwasher. It's one of the many reasons a cook gets paid more, and the main reason a good dishwasher is respected by the entire BoH staff; without dishes everything comes crashing to a halt.
>>
>>7757028

A sense of urgency is just part of working in a kitchen.

When you get enough experience you'll be able to take a quick glance around and know immediately what order you need to do things in to be most efficient (you'll still have a cook occasionally yelling for more saute pans or a particular type of plate), but it will become a zen like thing where you're powering through what once seemed impossible, which is really the biggest high of working in a kitchen, even on dish.
>>
>>7757004
This is bullshit. You just multitask. Dishes come back? throw them in the sink with hot water to soak off the food then wipe down your previous dishes.
>>
>>7757041
They.. they shouldn't come back, anon.
>>
>>7757041

>throw them in the sink with hot water to soak off the food then wipe down your previous dishes

You've never even been in a restaurant dish room, have you?
>>
>>7757041
You wait for your bad job to come back to you.

This is why you still work many hours to make a shit wage.
>>
>>7757047
I'm a kitchen manager at one you ding bat. By health code, a kitchen of a certain size is required to have a three compartment sink. We have several of these. A system attached to each one. The first compartment is hot water for soaking, the second for actually cleaning, and the third for special treatment dishes.
>>7757043
>>7757048
And I meant, dishes literally come back from the front of the restaurant after being used to get cleaned.
>>
>>7757058

I know what a pot sink is...

The other anon was making it sound like you should throw regular dishes (plates and whatnot) in the sink to soak, when those get the blast hose and maybe a good rub down with a green scrubby before going through the industrial dishwasher. If some aren't entirely clean when they come out just send those through with the next load, and take care of some of the shit in the pot sink during the 2 minutes when the dishwasher is running, or run out clean dishes to the line.
>>
>>7757066
>green scrubby

You mean a sponge?
>>
>>7757066
>>7757058
Every kitchen is different and some don't have a cistern of standing water. As much as this provincial retard >>7757058 would like to think the health code in his state is the same all over the world, he has an inaccurate view of just about everything.

But it feels good to call foreign stuff "bullshit" rather than conceding that there are differences to be acknowledged.

You're all cute people. Stupid about things like law, but cute.
>>
>>7757077

>every kitchen is different and some don't have a cistern of standing water
>as much as this provincial retard >>7757058 would like to think the health code in his state is the same all over the world, he has an inaccurate view of just about everything

Not that anon, but you should realize that at this time of night (or day, depending on where you are) most kitchen workers in the States are getting home, getting drunk, and going on /ck/. And yes, a three stage pot sink is standard in every restaurant kitchen in the US.
>>
>>7757072
No. A sponge is soft. A green scrubby is abrasive.
>>
File: scrot.jpg (889 KB, 2796x2796) Image search: [Google]
scrot.jpg
889 KB, 2796x2796
>>7757111
Well your country makes terrible sponges then.
>>
>>7757117

That's a home sponge.

A restaurant green scrubby looks like pic related. Everything else is done with steel wool or dish towels.
>>
>>7757072

no, a scrubber, like a steel wool
>>
>>7757121
>>7757117

I love green scrubbies. Stealing them from work is the best part about kitchen jobs.
>>
>>7757126

So you're the reason I can only ever find a worn out third of a green scrubby to clean my entire station with at the end of the night, asshole.

I bet you also stash away clean dish rags.
>>
>>7757126
>Stealing them from work is the best part about kitchen jobs.

They cost a dollar.
>>
>>7756933
maybe the co-workers that have to wait for you to finish should help you? But you'll get better over time. I imagine washing bbq shit is hard work
>>
>>7757130
sums up working in kitchens doesn't it.....
>>
>>7757129

Never, I hate those people. I take like one out of each new box I order, and I use that at home in the time the kitchen goes through the box. Repeat, everyone wins.

>>7757130

Yea but in a master case from cisco they cost even less
>>
>>7757131

You help the dishwasher by giving them the shit that needs to soak first, pulling the floor mats into the dish room for them, and otherwise helping out with stuff like replacing garbage bags. I've never seen anyone actually go into the dish room and scrub shit so that the dishwasher could get out earlier, even if they where trying for overtime.
>>
>>7757140
My old boss used to do it to us when we had big functions of 200-300 people. didn't matter that we started 5 hours before him, he was on hourly rate so wanted him finished asap. washing up after a 12 hour shift sucks
>>
>>7757140
really? that's shitty. when i managed a restaurant i made sure everyone understood that after their station was clean they were to jump in the dish pit. gets everyone out sooner.
>>
>>7756945

this.

you need to find a system that works for you, too: everyone will have a different routine.

I always kept a rag over my shoulder to clean up little shit, and that metal scrunch ball thing is your best friend, just don't use it on not stick pans.

learn your station and what each thing does: check the soap buckets and make sure they don't run out before a rush. stay on top of silverware, because that shit is where your host and customers will bitch and moan

the auto dishwasher should never be idle. Ever. not untill everything is clean. Make a train of dishes and dishracks ready to be cleaned and make sure the soap levels are good on those before a rush

there are some no-nos: don't stack plates too high. don't keep your sink basin full of silverware, you'll cut yourself. glassware in hot water can shatter it, avoid that. if you really need help, ask some of the kitchen and they might help you out, especially if the rush is ending. knives and kitchen tools have priority over everything else.

shits not hard you just sound either lazy or retarded, or very possibly have a tiny kitchen.
>>
>>7757144

Eh, a big function is a different story. I've been tasked for all sorts of shit at times like that.

>tfw one of the only people to actually drive to work, so end up being sent off to Restaurant Depot with $400 in cash and a vague list, only to come back to find that literally nothing has been prepped on your station

>>7757145

I always closed the half of the kitchen with the fry station, and filtering/cleaning that shit meant I barely got out before the dishwasher, and they'd often leave a sink full of dishes soaking for the morning kid because they had to catch a bus home anyways.
>>
>>7757150

>you just sound either lazy or retarded

He said it's something like his third or fourth day on the job, and it's probably his first job ever. I'm guessing he's basically a deer in the headlights right now, as cush a job working dish is.
>>
File: 1464212323959.jpg (581 KB, 1003x998) Image search: [Google]
1464212323959.jpg
581 KB, 1003x998
>>7757157

I'll right, well I'll redact the statement then. you're PROBABLY not lazy or retarded, OP. but only because this >>7757157 cutiepie said so :3

:3 :3 :3
>>
>>7757162

You just responded to my post twice, and I'm not OP.

I did say this was probably OP's first job, which means he's most likely underage, and in my experience teens are arrogant and lazy as fuck, but at least he has enough autism and social anxiety to ask /ck/ how to improve himself.
>>
File: 1441740588776.jpg (36 KB, 960x403) Image search: [Google]
1441740588776.jpg
36 KB, 960x403
>>7756933
Get good scrub. Memes aside, it's just practice and pre-closing. The more closing shit you can get done in the last hours before the doors shut, the less you have to do at close. Again, it's practice and observation. Don't get overwhelmed, it's an easy gig when you get the hang of it. Then you can suck up to the cooks to learn how to prep and eventually cook too.
>mfw people pay assloads to learn something that often requires actual experience and can be learned otj from the bottom up
>mfw even snazzy joints like where I cook don't pay enough to justify "school"
$20/hr is not a joke but it is if you have tens of thousands of dollars in debt
>>
>>7757168
I'll right, well I'll redact the statement then. you're PROBABLY not lazy or retarded, OP. but only because this >>7757168 cutiepie said so :3

:3 :3 :3
>>
A scourer
>>
You think washing dishes is bad? Try being a dishwasher at the busiest restaurant in your city

>Waitresses screaming at you that they need utensils
>Chefs screaming at you that they need plates
>Bartenders screaming at you that they need cups
>Dirty plate station is literally overflowing
>In the middle of all this, dishwasher breaks down and you have to fix it

Dish washing sucks.
>>
have a mexican work with you. watch and learn.
>>
Used to wash dishes at the only Old Country Buffet in town, a year or two before the entire company went under.

ama
>>
File: sear.webm (443 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sear.webm
443 KB, 1280x720
>>7756933
>I talked to the owner and he said it normally takes him about 30 mins to close

yeah, he's 100% bullshitting you. sure, you're probably slow, but he's also probably bullshitting you. owners always want you to do everything faster.
>>
>>7756952
This, adderal is what I use tho. I'm just a cook tho but the restaurant I'm at is high volume. Well flip a 269 person dinning 3 or 4 times in a shift so you need Stims to deal with that bullshit
>>
>>7756952
>What is it with restaurants and cocaine? My buddy who is a chef does cocaine to get through the daily work.
>>
>>7757715
Don't know why it is in greentext, but still what gives?
>>
>>7757718
It's long stressful work so drugs help
>>
>>7756933
Previous dishwasher here, try and find a rythm in your work
>soak this
>spray these
>load them in
>take these out
>load these up
>spray this
>load these in
>load these off
etc
It's hard as fuck the first few weeks but you should be able to learn the best technique soon enough
>>
Former dishpig at 3 diff restaurants

Quantity over quality
Stack your cup trays
Do the shit in the sink while your dishes are going
Find out when you cab move to prep or line
If they dont want to, quit
I got moved from dish to pantry after my first day at maggianos
>>
>>7757718
I use heroin but im pantry so less stress but stims are the way to go for most in the biz
>>
About two years of dishwasher experience here.
Honestly, thats pretty normal.poor speed and quality come from lack of exoerience and can only be fixed by experience.
Just do your best, and bear with it. Try to get better every day.
And actually do your best. The job sucks, but doing well in a shit job is the first step to getting a mediocre job, etc.
Good luck OP.
>>
>>7757782

i worked dish for a few months before moving to prep/pantry then to saute/grill for a few years during college

dish is the easiest and lowest stress job in the kitchen. if you think dish sucks you should just go ahead and start looking for another job because it is only going to get worse.

its normal for the dish guy to be the last one out of the kitchen so don't stress it so much. make sure the other stoner faggots actually get their dishes to you as early as possible so that you don't get a massive pile all together at the end of the night.
>>
>>7757066
you shouldn't use a green scrubby on plates it scratches the finish

you can easily soak plates without a sink if you stack them up the spray them until no more water will sit on them.

or you just have a bus pan of water by you.

but seriously dishes is the easiest job in boh just work fast and pay attention to everything you wash
>>
>>7757360
>>7757360
>you think washing dishes is bad?
>try washing dishes!
that happens at literally every restaurant you retarded faggot
>>
>>7757769
>I blow my meagre pay on expensive drugs

Your life isn't worth living, just end it now.
>>
>>7757100
holyshit im looking back through this thread and I was incredibly drunk. Im laughing so hard.
>>
>>7757360
You sound awful at your job. Do things in rotation so people don't run out.
>>
>>7757797
Yeah,working grill in a super busy place is hell.
I did at Dave n Busters for a couple years.
>>
I applied to about 20 dishwashing jobs the other day.

On the off chance one of them calls, how do I get the job?

No, I have never worked in hospitality before (but I have at least done some cleaning in retail, etc.)
>>
File: Asriel_Dreemur_Transformed.gif (196 KB, 270x310) Image search: [Google]
Asriel_Dreemur_Transformed.gif
196 KB, 270x310
>>7756933
you have autism so the first part will be easy and the other is hard, take your plates right? stack them mostly evenly (bowls with bowls, plates with a vaguely similar size). pour some water you reserve in a large cup you are able to fill quickly, pour that shit into the stack of plates, then take your plastic wool and scrub violently in a circle so the water splashes on you and doesn't spray on any of the servers and bus people, deal that shit like a deck of cards as you do that shit one handed, then grab that shit 3 or 2 at a time and load them into the cart. repeat this step untill you run out of dishes. thats the messy part

last trick is to keep stacking up dishes you are washing onto racks until you can't reasonably fit more racks into the dish line, then you go wash your hands and carry the dishes back where they belong. This should cut down the number of times you'll need to wash your hands. if you don't ever wash your hands and just use the pressure hose you need to commit fucking sudoku too you assplanet
>>
>>7760827
>autism
>undertale gif used

why...
>>
>>7756933
If you've got a shitty job to do, work or otherwise, the best way to get through it is master it. Make it your bitch. You've got to have a process, a method for every step. After you've got every step down to a science you simply go through the motions and can mentally check out.
>>
>>7757150
>glassware in hot water can shatter it
Are you washing frozen glassware in boiling water? This shouldn't happen. Ever.
>>
>>7757150
>knives and kitchen tools have priority over everything else.
>knives
What kind of bumfuck retard operation throws knives to the potwasher? Knives should be hand washed and never leave the kitchen. Risk of injury is too damn high.
>>
I'm totally oblivious about what happens in restaurant kitchens, but don't restaurant have some kind of heavy-duty industrial automatic dishwashers that are like 10 times faster than home ones? Is manual dishwashing still this widespread? I don't think I want to eat at a place where my plate has not been washed by a machine.
>>
>>7756933

1) do the dishes however you're told to do the dishes. if your restaurant does shit by local code then do that; if they don't then don't unless the health inspector pops in.

2) always keep your non-soak sinks clean! start and finish your shift by scrubbing your station

3) wipe and stack your dirties while your sinks fill. this keeps the soaking sink water cleaner longer

4) if you are trusted with a free running tap make sure only to run it as much as necessary. don't overfill the sinks (it dilutes the suds) or otherwise waste water!

5) if you're required to use a RINSE SINK MAKE THE WATER LUKEWARM not hot or cold. it dries faster.

6) order of operations:

a) set the caked shit to soak
b) clean the shit people eat off of so the line and foh can serve food
c) clean the cleanest cookware and set it to dry
d) move the now dry shit where it belongs
e) finish up the dirty soaked shit and set it to dry
f) go to a)

7) the rest: wear shorts, running shoes, a tee, cotton undies, and powder that sweaty asscrack on your break. don't forget to eat. stay hydrated.

8) your job is to wash the dishes as quickly as possible. you should be able to fill and clear six sinks per hour. to do that you need to work two sinks at a time by keeping clean dishes in clean sinks and filthy ones in the soak sink.

9) if you clear your section and have free time go sweep the floor or ask prep if they need anything peeled. be useful when you're on the clock and you won't stay a dishwasher.

10) good luck and stay salty.
>>
>>7761134

the last place i worked at kept bowls in the freezer for salads and desert and if the turnover was fast enough they definitely got back to the dish pit cold as fuck and would shatter when dumbfucks tossed em in the dish machine with everything else
>>
>>7761235
no hahaha. honestly probably less than 10% of places are completely automated.
>>
The truth is that the only way to wash dishes at a speed the chef will respect is to not clean them like u think u should.

My chef would show me how to wash fast and that meant dirty. He would just pass things through the big washer and that was that. It was not nice and made me realize how this is probably an issue everywhere. It changed my entire level of acceptable food handling and more importantly my hygiene. While I lowered my real world standards, I raised my personal standards.
>>
>>7761235

Yes, every restaurant uses a high powered dishwasher that only takes a couple minutes to do a load. That's how all the dishware and silverware is cleaned (after getting a quick rinse from a high-powered hose).

There's also a three stage pot sink (soapy water, water for rinsing, sanitizer) where things that actually need to be scrubbed (like saute pans) are cleaned by hand.
>>
>>7761324

just run it through the dish machine faggot

if it comes out still dirty just run the shit through again.

the shit is like 8 trillion degrees its definitely sanitary when it comes out
>>
>>7761350

>if it comes out still dirty just run the shit through again

Fucking this.

Washing dishes is the comfiest BoH job by far, but if you're too fucking lazy to run something through the machine twice and give me a stack of plates with shit still stuck to it I'm going to be pissed.
>>
>>7756952
I don't want to become a degenerate.
>>
>>7761235
>don't restaurant have some kind of heavy-duty industrial automatic dishwashers that are like 10 times faster than home ones?
Big restaurant that have the space for it do. Smaller ones use smaller load units. With the smaller places you have to manually pre-wash dishes that have stuck food on them. The small dishwasher usually isn't strong enough to produce a fresh plate result. Essentially what happens is that the dishwasher takes up the role of a sterilizer using hot water (and chemicals if they're even connected and used).
>>
>>7756933
Worked at an italian restaurant, cleaning cheese is the biggest bitch, had nights with roughly 60 people and nights with roughly 230. I was working there for a couple of months 5 nights a week. I had to stop to resume study and comming home from work being 1am and had mad pains in my wrists forced me to stop.
I was told i was one of the best they've had as i manually scrubbed all the plates and kept good cycle rotations with the dishwasher, and i didnt complain so everyone loved me.

Some advice is if you can get utensils in the dishwasher, soak the utensiles in a bucket of soapy water, and try to find a suitable limit for your rotations for the utensils.
Plates soak in the sink, and i always had a the odd objects on the side, generally keep the rotations for the dishwasher in and order like,
Plates, pans/pots/trays, plates, utensils, repeat.
But this would be different for different jobs, i can tell you mine killed since i had these massive box like trays that couldnt fit in the dishwasher and they were for the dough, so i didnt have much room since i had to soak them and scrub and clean, which when busy was fucking annoying.

If you want your co workers to like you, try and minimise your breaks and sacrifice the first few days so you can really get a rythym going.
>>
I've cleaned a lot of dishes over the years, but two things stand out to me:

In my first job, they'd make BBQ chicken by first roasting the chicken in a big ass pan and that shit would always leave the worst kind of gunk and shit over the pan like you'd never believe. They were huge ass pans though, so to clean them, I'd take them out back to this patio like enclosure and spray them down with a legit water hose. Was hard as fuck.

Also at that place (and at my next job): Burnt mac and cheese. Christ almighty mac and cheese is a bitch.

I'm washing dishes at Sonic Drive In now. Everyone moans over cleaning chili pans, but they're easy as shit. Now, burnt sausage+egg mixture? Tired of that shit.
>>
>>7761761
Yeah cheese is a bitch.

All my Co-workers ask for extra cheese on their food so their plates are always a pain.

Thanks for the tips guys.
>>
Fellow dish washer here.

I tend to get shit done faster than the other dish washer (there are only two of us), and the management has told me several times that i'm also thorough as fuck. My restaurant is small, we only turn about 75-100 tickets on a busy night, but there are also only like 5 people even on a busy night and usually only one dishwasher. We don't have an automatic dishwasher either.

So here is my system. I am assuming your work has one of those big three bin sinks. Put your garbage can on the far side of the room opposite your drying rack, next to the sink. The closest sink to the trash is your pre-wash sink, don't even bother filing this bitch with water. Your sink ( the middle sink) should be filled with soapy water, and the third should have sanitizing solution.

Place a dirty tub on a crate or something next to the can. Scrape the dirty dishes off into the can, rinse under light water, and throw in the soapy water. Also, your water should be hot as balls, if you can stick your hands in for longer than a few seconds at a time, you are doing it wrong. Smaller dishes that are hard to grab should go in the pre-rinse sink but nothing else. Once all the dishes in the tub are soaking, rinse that tub out, dry it fast as fuck, and stack it.

Next you use quick, darting motions to pull the dishes out of the soapy water. This will hurt like a motherfucker the first few shifts you do it, but it will become second nature as you get good. I scrub with a scrubbing wand, but a dishtowel or pad could work just as well. Scrub three times really quickly in hot water, 4-5 if the water is cooling down.

Now rinse that bitch in the sanitizer water in one quick motion, then place in the rack. DO NOT LET THE DISHES SIT IN THE SANITIZER, THIS WASTES WATER HEAT AND LEAVES A GROSS ASS FILM ON THE DISHES. Just swipe and place in the rack.

To be continued
>>
>>7762063
Big plates and bowls in the soapy water come first, then smaller dishes, side plates and ramacans in the pre-rinse sink, then silverware when the water cools enough to grab it.

You should have each "station" going in rotation, meaning that there should always be a tub soaking, one drying, and one on the drying table ready to go back out. Rotate these when you finish one and do that shit in order. So when a tub comes in, clean dishes go out to get stacked, drying dishes get wiped off and placed on the table, the soaking dishes get placed in the rack, and the stuff in the dirty tub goes where it needs to go.

I can generally get like 6 tubs clean an hour even taking my sweet time doing this method.

General tips:
- If everyone is rushing, rush. Clean fast and hard as fuck, own those dishes, show them who is fucking boss. The speed at which you clean is only limited by your sense of urgency.
- Develop priorities. This will depend on your restaurant, but I usually do dirty pans first, then dirty dishes, then knives (always keep these in the pre-rinse sink, you DO NOT want to have to fish these out of hot water), then all the non-essential kitchen dishes that aren't needed right away. Basically, learn what order things are needed in and how quickly you need to get them done. Using my system, I generally alternate a load of dishes with a load of pans/knives/kitchen shit.
- Change water every 4 loads or so. Dirty/cool water is the bane of your existence.
- Use a different drying towel for pans and dishes. Dishes should have their own exclusive towel.
- Learn to love the suck
- Don't be afraid to ask for advice, the other staff may give you shit, but they still want to help you
>>
>>7760749
You get the job by showing up on time. Answer the phone call. Dishwashing is pretty easy and restaurants are always looking for help.
>>
>>7761155

>a dishwasher is incapable of handling cooking utensils

are you dumb or just retarded
>>
Steel wool everything like a madman, and barely soak that shit in the middle sink before rinse. Should cut you down to 45 minutes or so at least, if you're still past that, I'd say you're getting things too clean.
>>
>>7761134

>glass with ice in it
>cold salad plates
>plates with icecream/frozen foods
>into a sink with hot water
>it's busy so you forget about that shit, especially if you're new

maybe you shouldn't talk about the things you have no clue about you dumb fucking polejockey
>>
>>7762122
I'm >>7762063

And I gotta say, I did something retarded shit with the knives when I first started.

It took me cutting my hand open in the sink to learn not to throw them in there, and i've cut myself several more times by not paying attention when drying knives.

All it takes is one little slip of attention and the restaurant manager is digging through the office trying to find the non-existent wet band aid.
>>
>>7762201
You don't wear gloves?
>>
>>7762214
Ain't no one got time for that.

I actually did at first, but now i'm just safer with what I do and i've learned to wash my hands frequently. My work has one ill fitting pair of gloves and i'm not going to buy my own, so, you know.
>>
I just started working at a Korean restaurant (lots of rice sticking to shit) that doesn't have a overhanging sprayer hose AND I'm only allowed to use cold water and I get yelled at when I use the hot water/ a mix of warm. At least we have a fucking machine.

At least they literally make me leave at closing time. It's weird, they don't ever ask for help or when I do help after closing time they tell me to go.Never worked in a kitchen where they encouraged me to leave right away. They stay an extra hour or two after we close up.
>>
>>7756933

I did dish and cashiered back in college. I closed a lot and here's how I managed.

When you get to work (you should have your uniform on already) check what the cooks need cleaned first. Check the remaining dishes and clean what they need accordingly.
If it's been slow start with pre-soaking some larger items.
While those are soaking do whatever has been bussed to the back of house and clean those.
After you manage to do what's been bussed check upfront and help the busser with what dishes are in the front of house.
Clean those.
Once you start reaching your pre-close you can finish cleaning the bigger items that have been soaking.
Once you've completed cleaning every item in your dish pit, start your pre-close. Just don't tell anyone about you doing anything preclose related and you can do some preclose 30 to 90 minutes before your actual preclose.
Repeat cleaning dishes and items till your restaurant closes while doing some preclose.
Finish your preclose.
Your restaurant closes and now everyone is bringing you everything they need clean. Time to shine. Clean that shit.
Help out with the cooks/bussers/who ever is working in the front of house to help get what you need to clean.
Once everything has been efficiently cleaned, do your closing duties and close your dish pit.
Get your manager to check out the work you've done.
Go home, drink a beer.
Just keep up, follow the procedure that you were trained with, and keep your work high quality. Cleaning dishes is so much easier than talking to guest or making food. Enjoy it. Ask your manager if you could wear headphones while you work. If you work for/with nice people, they'll be cool with it. Just make sure you maintain a good workflow and a high quality of work. You won't get anywhere doing the bare minimum. Especially if your cleaning dishes.
>>
>>7762222
Money invested in work is always well spent in my experience.
>>
>>7762122
You don't even work in the industry, do you? The wash is often in chaos during service.
A knife thrown in there in the mess is a hazard, because it might not be seen by the washer who sticks his hands in the pile to get something someone is shouting for.

If you think a potwasher in a big kitchen have time to carefully organize things in neat piles and sort the sharp stuff from the non-sharp, you're the one who's either dumb or just retarded.
There are two major wash taboos in every kitchen in this country: sending in hot pans without verbal, answered warning - and putting sharp knives in the wash. Even guests steak knives must be separated by runners/servers, and washed separately.
>>
>>7762256
you do just enough to keep up appearances. those are all penny pinching decisions. the funny thing is they'd use less water if they let you wash it warm.
>>
>>7762330
when i was a salty washwater pirate i always devoted some attention to having sharps chucked into my sink and tried to intercept them into the bucket at my feet.

i caught shit for every single thing i did at that job no matter how fast or clean anything was. monday: do x; tuesday: why are you doing x? i said do y! and on and on.

come to think of it i'm still salty fuck that place and fuck italian people
>>
I have washed dishes in 6 restaurants, one of them served 600 guests on a good day, another was voted best bar/restaurant of my country in 2015.

Every restaurant and kitchen has a different system. In the really busy restaurant we had 2 working the dishwashers. The system there was no machines can ever be idle ofcourse. And then we had a 30s program on the machines which we opend at 15s approx. Then hose them down with hot as shit water and let them dry while still in the racks. In the 15s of doing nothing prepare the next racks and start washing dishes by hand.

Also you have you need to have a bucket of soapy water around for the dishes you do by hand.

Before putting anything in the machine spray them down with water. Also keep the water in the machine clean. If your dishes get to greasy after getting them out of the machine refill the machine. I alsways filled up a big pan of water so i didnt waste any time.

The end is always the hardest when you get the kitchen supplies. Ask the cooks to put the hot water that keeps the sauses warm, in the sause pans. This way it can soak.

After a few weeks you get your own system for doing things the fastest way. Also dont be afraid to ask the cooks and servers to put their stuff down a certain way which makes it easiest for you.
>>
File: toukvlQ.jpg (56 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
toukvlQ.jpg
56 KB, 480x270
>>7760831
op told us he had autism you autist. do pay attention fagtron
>>
>>7764061
>not letting the heat cure the plates so you can kill bacteria.
I'd be very tempted to walk out of that store if they made me do that and report them to health agencies.
>>
>>7764086
This is how it was taught to me, no one ever seemed to disaprove.
>>
my first dish job was in a really high volume place, got fucking ridiculous on weekends (which of course I never once got off). and to make it worse all the faggots on opening shift were the laziest cunts I've ever met. never had the fucking window cleared, never cleaned out the machine before my shift came in, always left right away without grabbing the line or anything. eventually got sick of that shit so I bailed since the higher ups wouldn't do anything about them.

honestly that's the worst part about working in a kitchen is that there'll always be people in your fucking way or slowing you down and making shit harder for you. the place I'm currently at is much nicer though, same pay for like 1/4 the work, only problem is the Mexicans blaring their shitty radio, but since I work so well they let me just keep headphones in all day

just keep at it, it's all memorization and learning to regulate your time and organize the tasks you'll have for the day. by the time you're a few weeks in it won't even feel like work anymore because you can just shut your brain off and let your body take over.
>>
>>7762134
>TFW dish bitch for a year and never had a glass break by simply putting in hot water

So again, how fucking hot is your water? Do you not pre-rinse before going into the dishwasher? Even a glass with ice water should be dumped and hit with a rinse. That water won't be nearly as hot as the washer's water.
>>
>thread about being a dish washer
>100 replies and 52 posters

so sad
>>
>>7764570

Many people in the industry have worked dish at some time, and everyone BoH should know how dish works. What's your point?
>>
File: im doing my part too.jpg (293 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
im doing my part too.jpg
293 KB, 852x480
>>7764580

that /ck/ is full of poor, depressed drunks (probably fat) that don't know how to cook
>>
File: VNyk86k.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
VNyk86k.png
651 KB, 1067x800
>>7764587
>>
>>7764587

>there are people on the food and cooking board that actually know what they're talking about because they do it for a living
>this is somehow a bad thing

Stick to your fast food and meme threads.
>>
File: 1464061460800.jpg (92 KB, 613x1024) Image search: [Google]
1464061460800.jpg
92 KB, 613x1024
>>7764630

>i work at sonic doing dishes
>my new job at the dish pit
>how i do heroin in the dish pit
>do cocaine in the dish pit
>scrubbing pots

yeah this is some quality cooking knowledge
>>
>>7764648

So you didn't actually read the thread and are just here to shitpost? Okay.
>>
>>7756933
>dish washer
>local bbq joint

I got bad news for you, restaurant cleaning gigs are hard because they are built on the backs of meth heads, and nobody does repetitive, simple physical labor as well as someone on amphetamines.

try just doing a shittier job, faster, until someone complains.
>>
>>7764086
great plan if you live at mommy's house, but out here in grown up world you look the other way because you had to take a job washing dishes so you probably can't afford to walk out on it for shits and giggles.
>>
>>7764689

im my experience the people that do a shittier job faster just get sent home early while the person that tries to do the job well gets fucked over and has to work until 3 am scrubbing floors and cleaning shit

at a shitty place be good enough to keep your job but bad enough that you dont have to be a closer
>>
>>7764701

Staying late always sucks, but many people with that kind of job appreciate the extra hours.
>>
>>7764716

>open kitchen
>everyone clocks out
>hey anon we really appreciate the hard work you get to close!
>kitchen mangers and coworkers go to the bar right in front of you to drink and have fun and laugh
>next rounds on me guys! woohoo
>you get to blast grime off the floor alone for $10
>ruin your pants that are worth more than $10
>you are the "closing guy now" and just have to wear dirty grimy pants to work so you don't destroy more pairs
>we really need you to close faster from now on anon you have a lot of practice at it now it shouldn't take you an hour
>other guys get promoted ahead of you because they chill with the kitchen manager and get shitfaced every night
>>
>>7764731
>Coworkers leaving you to do everything at close
Sounds like you have shitty coworkers.

Every place i've ever worked everyone helps close until there is literally nothing left to do before going over to the bar.
>>
That's gross
>>
>>7764760

every place ive ever worked cuts down to 1-2 employees for close

they usually cut the pantry guy hours before close and expect someone else to close his station

ive had nights where ive worked flat top and had to close pantry, the grill, clean my flat top and do the floors/surfaces by myself while i watched other employees drinking at the bar
>>
>>7764760
>>7764766

and its not shitty coworkers its shitty management pinching pennies/telling people to leave before they closed
>>
>>7764760

Place I used to work there were 3,4, or 5 people on the line (between 4 stations), depending on how busy of a night it was (2 people in the mornings), and we always had 2 closers doing half the line each every night (and the dish guy in the dish room). It was pretty fairly divided up who closed. Obviously new people got stuck with the shittier shifts, but even the old timers would have a close a couple night a week too.
>>
>>7764766
where i worked most recently i was typically called in for 4-6hrs maximum and only got to stay on above 4 when there were no other men on premises. i was literally told "yknow sweep up a bit, check the trash, fill time whatever til we close"

of course they also had hired me for the secret reason of bringing the shithole up to code just before the inspectors came. then fired me on some ginned up bullshit.
>>
>>7764832

last place i worked (one i was describing the closing of) was so fucked

i would either get 25 hours and they would have some newguy there they were paying less and fuck me out of hours or i would get 60-65 hours because whatever newguy they hired quit after 4 days

then because i was in 20-30 hours of overtime they would always bitch at me to close faster and expect me to magically flip and clean every station in the place in under and hour every night
>>
>>7758624
Heroins not thag expensive i pay 5 bucks a bag can talk them down to 3 if i get a bundle
Plus im pantry at a pretty nice place in AC so i make more than you probably senpai
>>
>>7756933
Find a routine, stick to it. do pre close stuff early like taking down cup trays and stuff. if its slow enough that you can obviously. I worked in dish for around 6-8 months and by the end of it you can usually be out within 14-30 minutes after everyone else. I work in a steak house so I imagine its similar to a BBQ place. But straight up it just takes time, move fast physically and experiment figure out what shortcuts you can. It will probably take around a month and then dish will start getting easy tl;dr work hard keep a open mind it gets easier
>>
>>7764760
>>7764766

depends on whether the management thinks improved morale will add more value than what will be saved by closing with as few human resources as possible.
>>
>>7764942
not him but I heard it's cheap in the beginning and ends up costing a lot later on
>>
>>7764955

its funny because they tried to pinch pennies on hours but it cost them wayyyy more in the long run

you coulda kept 1-2 more employees there or scheduled another line cook for $50-100 but instead you push a guy to his limit and he walks out with $200 worth of meat on the grill and fucks your entire night costing your hundreds++

then they learn fucking nothing from it and they do it all over again pushing the next set of suckers to the limit until someone fucks them in the ass again.
>>
>>7764956
I spend about 100 bucks a day between me and my girl shes a waitress and makes bank
She clears 200 a night at least and i mak 40k before taxes
>>
>>7764942
>heroins not expensive

LOOL get off the ride while you still can, young lad. heroin is the most expensive habit to form. you end up blowing your tolerance levels sky high unless you're an incredibly disciplined degenerate.
>>
>>7764956
But its not fun and wouldnt recomend
Causes alot of stupid drama and my last job shit canned me for nodding out cold in the walk in
>>
>>7764964

>pantry
>$40K

bullshit

enjoy spending your girlfriends money on heroin while you can. you are going to be pitiful after she leaves you
>>
>>7764966
I bang 5 bags a time 4 times a day dont preach to me
I pay 3 dollars a stamp if i buy bundles even less if i get a ball
North east us is going through an epidemic
>>
>>7764972
I work in atlantic city
Junkies are a dime a dozen here
Enjoy being a virgin
>>
File: posting.jpg (64 KB, 600x1148) Image search: [Google]
posting.jpg
64 KB, 600x1148
>>7764956
>oh wow heroin is so cheap!
>HOLY SHIT THIS FEELS GREAT
>this is cheap enough to do every day!
>tolerance.jpg
>every few days
>tolerance.jpg
>every week or so
>tolerance.jpg
>hmm I guess I can inject it to use less
>tolerance.jpg
>rockbottom.jpg
>man I gotta quit this shit its ruining my life
>tolerance slowly creeps back down while you try to rehab
>something stressful happens in your life
>relapse.jpg

and then you OD because you based your dose on the tolerance you had when you quit, not the tolerance you have now that you've taken a break. this pattern is well documented.
>>
>>7757003
I started working as a dishwasher 3 months ago, takes some time but you will get better. The other dishwasher I work with is a Mexican and he wouldn't let me wash at all for the first month during any lunch or dinner rush. now he has me wash because i'm still a little slow catching the dishes.
>>
>>7764983
Or you just do one bag when you get back on the horse like anyone with common sense
>>
File: poor-child.jpg (96 KB, 724x720) Image search: [Google]
poor-child.jpg
96 KB, 724x720
>>7764993
>any relapsing heroin addict with common sense
ok m8
>>
>>7764995
Dont knock it till ya try it pussy
>>
>>7764995
Some kid that watches cartoons is trying to tell me about drugs
>>
File: dumb-shit.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
dumb-shit.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
>>7765002
some drug addict is trying to tell me about self-control
>>
>>7764977

>im a junkie so everyone is a junkie
>its normal to be a heroin addict
>>
>>7757206
>Get good scrub. Memes aside, it's just practice and pre-closing. The more closing shit you can get done in the last hours before the doors shut, the less you have to do at close. Again, it's practice and observation. Don't get overwhelmed, it's an easy gig when you get the hang of it. Then you can suck up to the cooks to learn how to prep and eventually cook too.
>>mfw people pay assloads to learn something that often requires actual experience and can be learned otj from the bottom up
>>mfw even snazzy joints like where I cook don't pay enough to justify "school"
>$20/hr is not a joke but it is if you have tens of thousands of dollars in debt

literally this post.

i've been a steward at my property for just under a year now and the key things to know are really
>where shit goes
>what shit to anticipate people needing during service
>GO F A S T
>don't be a dick

as far as closing, just try to knock out closing shit during downtime after dinner service. like don't wait to take all the trashes out til close, just run them when you have time or do floors early so you're not mopping 15 minutes after you should have left.

right now i'm doing banquet prep shifts on-call and rarely getting put on as an extra hand on garmo in addition to stewarding. executive chef gave me some pointers on how i can help myself transition into that role after work today, which included 'GO F A S T' because i'm still kinda flopping around like a baby gazelle in banquets.
>>
File: 1465393932339.jpg (29 KB, 433x436) Image search: [Google]
1465393932339.jpg
29 KB, 433x436
>>7765004
Damn son
>>
File: Radical_Islam.gif (791 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
Radical_Islam.gif
791 KB, 250x141
>>7765004
>>
>>7762330

A knife isn't just 'thrown in there' you fucking retard a chef will come up to you hand you the knife and say "I need you to wash this because there is shit on it" and thus it takes priority.

It's like you're in a contest for being the biggest asshat in this thread and boy golly-george you might be winning
>>
>>7765935
in my (admittedly limited) experience, chefs wash and sanitise their own knives immediately after they use them.
>>
>>7765935

Different anon, but I've never worked in a place where you give knives to the dishwasher to wash (as though having him drop what he's doing to quickly clean a knife would be faster than doing it yourself).

Literally the only times I've seen a dishwasher get mad and yell at a cook was when they tried dropping their knives at the dish station (and like the other anon said, "HOT PAN" is just standard kitchen etiquette.
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.