[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beef Stew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1460153160422.jpg (52 KB, 602x338) Image search: [Google]
1460153160422.jpg
52 KB, 602x338
So, it takes 3 to 4 hours of braising for the cheap cuts' connective tissue to break down into tender pot roast, but what's the timing of the following:
-Potatoes
-Carrots
-Onion
-Celery/Leeks/Other?

What's your go-to recipe?
>>
>>7755969
Sear the beef in bacon fat (batches you want a good sear) and set aside. Do the onions to get that fond, a little flour for a roux, then tomato paste and spices to get them to toast in the fat a bit. Pour in beer and reduce, then add the beef and broth along with your dry herbs (bay leaves, thyme, rosemary).

At this point, you want to either simmer or park it in the oven at 250. In about an hour and a half, root vegetables like potatoes and carrots. One more hour, the celery/leeks/whatever. Then in the end, you want to simmer until the sauce is a good consistency, and you could add frozen peas at this point.

Serve on rice.
>>
I add most of my veggies in the beginning when I add the red wine to envelop the roast, but cut them thick so that they don't fall apart. I let the onions and celery disintegrate in the sauce. I add mushrooms an hour before it's done.
>>
>>7755969
I always like to put a little ginger in mine.
>>
I'm normally at work when I use my slow cooker so I have little choice but to put everything in at the start and cook for 8 to 10 hours or how ever long my shift is.
>>
>>7756496
>Serve on rice.
Hell no
>>
>>7756719
Hell yeah.
>>
>>7755969
>3 to 4 hours
fuck that shit, pressure cooker time
>>
>>7755969
put carrots, onions, celery in at the begining, then remove when you have an hour or so left and replace with new carrots, onions and celery, and add your potatoes then. it lets the vegetables flavor the liquid and you don't get overdone vegetables.
>>
Bring on the roasted potatoes
>>
>>7755969
listen with both ears to the man of the left; disregard everything of the person on the right.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.