[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been wanting to make fish stock recently for fish dishes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3072x1728
I've been wanting to make fish stock recently for fish dishes. Whole Northern Pike goes on sale at my grocery this week. Is it suitable for making stock?

The fish are fresh, domestic farmed. The main concern I have is that they're freshwater fish.
>>
Well of course you can make stock with it. Have the fishmonger cut in to 3" steaks, remove gills, and definitely use the head. fresh water fish make fine stock.
>>
>>7755881
Thanks. I keep hearing about freshearer fish having an off or unpredictable flavor as compared to saltwater fish. And googling just hasn't given clear info.

Think I'll make me a fish pie later this week.
>>
Yeah, see if they have extra bones and heads they're willing to give away or sell cheap.
>>
>>7755810
Only bad thing about pike are the numerous, and I mean numerous, bones. I haven't tried making stock with pike, so hopefully the bones cook down, but be careful nonetheless.
>>
>>7756426
He can put it through a strainer several times to get most of them.
>>
>>7755810
where the fuck do they sell pike? The y bones are really hard to get out of any northern pike under about 25 inches long so make sure you get a big one.
>>
>>7755810
CLASSIC
>>
>>7756436
True. I love the flavor of pike, but the bones always ruin it, even if the meat has been well prepped/cleaned.
>>
Northerns are boney little shits.

I live in ND and they also suck to catch when all you really want is the walleye.
>>
pike is delicious. what my mom mixes with carp to make gefilte fish.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.