[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jerky Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: jerky.jpg (168 KB, 800x541) Image search: [Google]
jerky.jpg
168 KB, 800x541
I'm making beef jerky for my dad for Father's Day. Anyone else on /ck/ make jerky? What do you use for a marinade? Do you ever make it out of non-beef meats?
>>
I use some south African biltong chilli spice rub, coat the meat in that then dehydrate.

I've messed with soy sauce recipes in the past but never really found one I loved. Sorry OP, hopefully someone else can give us a better idea. I want to make a batch pretty soon too.

Only ever done beef Btw, and always has been a chilli based recipe
>>
alton brown did it on good eats, I actually watched it just yesterday. He went a little over the top but theres good lessons
>>
I make my own jerky and I've never had any problems with this recipe:

>Step 1:
Make a mixture of brown sugar, soy sauce & Worcestershire sauce.Soak the meat in that for at least 8 hours.

>Step 2:
Make a rub of brown sugar, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, garlic granules, garlic powder, cumin, oregano. Rub that shit all over your meat

>Step 3:
Lower your oven to about 50 celsius and hang the meat strips on the oven racks. Leave that for 12 hours or so

>Step 4:
Seal the dehydrated meat in a bag or container and freeze for 2 days. A lot of people forget this step, but it is essential to properly dehydrating/flavouring the meat.

>Step 5:
Enjoy delicious jerky
>>
that kawell dude made some jerky recently, Google through the archive has pictures and everything
>>
>>7754624
juice or I guess you could blend with water and strain:
onion
ginger (a lot of this)
garlic
fresh chilies ?
combine with:
soy sauce
salt
Worcestershire sauce
liquid smoke
sugar/honey
vinegar
red pepper ?

put it in a bag of meat.
you can sprinkle black pepper on it when it's on the drying racks if you like.
>>
American jerky is disgusting. Your meat is bad and you make it taste like candy. What's wrong with just using salt and garlic on your dried meat?
>>
only tangentially related, but i got the jack links chicken jerky (nuggets) and was violently ill for 2 days after eating them. still have stomach acid burns in my throat and on my tongue.

they're sending me a bunch of coupons and free stuff though. everything turned out better than expected
>>
>>7754978
>American
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>7754978
Robertson's Hams has really good jerky. Just salt and pepper as far as I know and not that super moist jerky. Dry as a bone, and absolutely delicious.
>>
>>7755139
>robertson's jerky
my brotha from anotha motha
>>
>>7754624
Venison is great for jerky. I always toast cumin and grind it and stick chilli and soy sauce in it.

I think Vegemite / marmite would work pretty good but haven't tried it yet
>>
File: 0004749600195_A.jpg (184 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
0004749600195_A.jpg
184 KB, 1500x1500
I love marinating either thinly sliced eye of round or top round in this stuff (pic related) mixed with plenty of orange peel and some juice along with lots of garlic, sriracha, pepper and worchestshire sauce. Comes out a bit sticky but always delicious.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.