[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5 Star Chef
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Sea-Island-Colister-Resort.jpg (40 KB, 466x308) Image search: [Google]
Sea-Island-Colister-Resort.jpg
40 KB, 466x308
I work at one of the best resorts in america, Sea Island, ask me anything
>>
>>7753869
Do you have what it takes to be a baker at Tim Hortons?
>>
Are you a chef at a resort?
>>
>>7753872
In my wildest dreams
>>
>>7753869
What do you do? Add more details to narrow down questions.
>>
Are you actually a chef? (I'm guessing no.)

How much do you make?

What do you do?

What are your hours like?

What kind of a place do you live in?

Do you actually get to enjoy living/working at a resort?
>>
>>7753880
How much do you make?
Upwards of 100k
What do you do?
I can't say too many specifics, but the same thing a higher ranked chef would be doing in my position. Menu input,managing workers and so on
What are your hours like?

What kind of a place do you live in?
Comfortable house
Do you actually get to enjoy living/working at a resort? Best company in the world to work for
>>
>>7753880
hours 50 on average, can be up to 80 depending on events
>>
>>7753878
I make food
>>
>>7753887

>he same thing a higher ranked chef would be doing in my position

I've worked for a couple different people who've been the head chef at resorts/hotels.

Aside from celebrity chefs/restaurateurs, it's pretty much the only time I've ever heard of a chef breaking six figures. Granted, these people were living on site and working pretty much 24/7, managing the multiple on site restaurants, room service, and taking care of functions (not to mention being contracted out to help other locations if it was part of a corporate thing).

Are you the head chef, or just somebody in charge of one kitchen?
>>
>>7753869
As a hobbiest cook, will I ever reach a point were I stop overthink every little aspect of the cooking process? I always feel mentally strained after dinner because I am autistically obsessed with doing everything perfectly.

I just want to get to the point where I can make most dishes in my sleep without much thought or focus.
>>
>>7753913
We have 3 different lodgings each with many restaurants and a specific kitchen for room service. I am in charge of one of the many kitchens
>>
>>7753922
Even the best chefs in the world try their food to make sure it came out all right.

You won't get to the point where you just do it and know for sure it's perfect, so don't worry about it. That kind of shit will give you an ulcer.

You try it, hope it works out, and check it after you're done. Same for any job, really.

Not OP, btw. (I doubt he's a real chef desu)
>>
>>7753922
Unless you make a dish over and over you will always be "stressed" on making it taste good because it isn't muscle memory. comfort comes in time
>>
>>7753922
Practice and having a basic understanding of the science behind cooking helps. I think Good Eats is a pretty gringe inducing show at times but I appreciate the understanding it gave me of the science of cooking. Once you understand why things work and don't work you can improvise much better.

Not OP.
>>
>>7753922

I frequently give the same two pieces of advice to people starting out here (not OP).

1 - Don't even think about going into cooking as a career. It's absolutely the worst decision you could make in your life.

2 - Work as a line cook at a decent restaurant for a good 6 months and you will acquire a lifetime's worth of cooking experience, learn all the basic techniques, and never feel stressed cooking at home for the rest of your life.

Knowing techniques is half of all cooking (knowing when a piece of meat is cooked, knowing how hot your pan is and should be, etc.). Having a bunch of recipes under your belt, rote, is another thing. Then it's a matter of tasting, having taste, and being able to improvise and create dishes yourself; that takes actual talent and is what separates line cooks from actual chefs (among other things, such as being responsible and somewhat intelligent, despite choosing to cook for a living).
>>
>>7753964
Went to culinary school, came here, best decision of my life. I cook for a living and love my career, make a shit load of money, and have no worries in life
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.