[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or whenever you order to go, the food seems smaller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Is it just me or whenever you order to go, the food seems smaller in comparison when eating in the restaurant? Am i really paranoid or maybe those containers looks really big.
>>
>>7752605
They actually fold out into a plate.
>>
>>7752605
I've always wanted to eat from one of those containers but I can't find anywhere in the UK that does them.
>>
>>7753400
I've only ever see people eat directly from them on TV shows. Eating all your shit separately defeats the point, since most people rarely order just one thing, and nearly all the dishes come with rice, which balances the dish.

Most of the Chinese places lately don't even use them and instead opt for plastic containers for everything but the white rice, since those paper containers leak every if the packer makes a slight mistake or it tips over once.
>>
>>7753415
>I've only ever see people eat directly from them on TV shows.
This is exactly where I saw it from.
I thought these containers would have chow mein or something in them? Never thought that they'd have rice since people eat from them using chopsticks, and rice with chopsticks is hard as fuck unless it's sticky rice.
>Most of the Chinese places lately don't even use them
fug
>>
>>7753436
When I was younger, all the Chinese restaurants used them for all the foods, but most have moved away from them because its a shitty container for anything but basically dry food. But the noodle dishes are typically only a small part of an American Chinese menu, and even then most of those noodle dishes are so greasy that the free rice was a necessary component.
>>
In case anyone cares, these boxes are called oyster pails, and were originally used to sell shucked oysters in America 100 years ago before oysters got expensive. After WWII, they started being used for American Chinese food takeout. It's a pretty clever food package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_pail
>>
I work at a Mongolian BBQ (Chinese owned)
We use these for our take out.
They come in different sizes, but we have a
32 oz, 16 oz, ad 8 oz.
When customers buy a bowl to go, we box it in the 32 oz, so they could get 2lbs of food if they do it right.
If they dine in and have leftovers, usually they get a 16oz.
The rice comes in an 8oz box.

They rarely leak unless there's a lot of watery sauce.
>>
I live in CA and tons of Chinese places still use these takeout boxes
>>
The only chinese place I order from uses those for just the rice.
>>
>>7753858
>When customers buy a bowl to go, we box it in the 32 oz, so they could get 2lbs of food if they do it right.
>if they do it right?
If the customers do what right?
>>
>>7754291
Yeah. All the spots near my house still uses them.
>>
>>7752605
Asian here

what does american chinese food taste like?

I'm curious but also scared
>>
>>7754639
I've heard it's a bit sweeter, but not that different. A lot of first generation immigrants love it, but their children dislike it bc 'retain muh heritage muh social justice muh appropriation' haha
>>
>>7752605
I didn't know you could order and eat in a chinese place. I never see anybody doing it, just waiting to pick up their order to go.
>>
>>7754639
I've heard that it's enjoyed quite a bit in actual Asian countries, obviously as a foreign food. The sauces are apparently much thicker and sweeter, many dishes that are novel to them. I hear mostly younger Asians and expatriates enjoy them while older folks don't care for it.
>>
>>7752605
Pretty sure it's the same. They just pack it all in what ever container
>>
>>7754639
Less dank stuff like oyster or fish sauce, replaced by more sugar. I've also noticed that pan/deep fried items are more popular than boiled or steamed foods.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.