[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this might sound really stupid but, is there any simple dish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: readingbraille.jpg (75 KB, 972x648) Image search: [Google]
readingbraille.jpg
75 KB, 972x648
this might sound really stupid but, is there any simple dish that can be made by a blind person? hopefully one that does not need any usage of knife

my girlfriend is blind and she really wants to cook something for my mom's birthday next month, but she insists on me not helping her on preparations

i'm thinking of donuts but that doesn't really count as a dish though
>>
>hot oil is less dangerous than a knife

Anyone who knows how to properly use a knife can chop shit blindfolded. Even people who've been doing it for years still get the occasional burn when deep frying shit.
>>
>>7752347
How blind is she? If she is 100% then she may not be much good other than helping to stir or mix.
>>
The least dangerous idea is probably baking, only using an oven. Making some brownies shouldn't involve many sharp objects or accidentally touchable heat sources.
>>
>>7752374
the point is that she's going to hurt herself trying to fry doughnuts.
>>
>>7752448
Well if she is anything like Anne Frank she should probably steer clear of the oven.
>>
This is a two part question

Is your gf hot and how ugly are you
>>
File: 1454768402267.jpg (27 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1454768402267.jpg
27 KB, 480x270
>>7752466
Nice
>>
>>7752471
Wow bro. Way to pick up on my joke.
>>
>>7752347

Could try some fried porkchops. You could, albeit with some difficulty, manage an egg wash then flour coating. You don't really need to see to brown the things, just put them in the hot oil for a few minutes, flip, few minutes more, finish in the oven.

Oh Hell, let's go even simpler than that: Meatloaf. You just add shit to hamburger meat, put it in a pan, then put it in the oven.
>>
>>7752347
Why not something like no bake cookies?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/peanut-butter-chocolate-no-bake-cookies-recipe.html

First hit on Google. You can find a better recipe yourself.
>>
>my girlfriend is blind

How to spot an ugly anon 101
>>
Electric food processor might be able to replace using a knife in some cases, if you have one.
>>
microwave brownies
>>
Try looking for things that use blenders or slow cookers, such as soups or pulled pork.
>>
>>7752347
maybe lasagne? or pasta, it's easy to boil water, add pasta, and use jarred sauce
>>
>>7752480
>>7752498
First time seeing this joke, wow that punchline fucking sucks. Why even bother referencing something like that?
>>
>>7752347
Heat sources are not blind people friendly, unless perhaps you use some serious hand protection. Try salads, microwave cookery, chilled dishes, etc. If she can't use a knife than she should learn.
>>
OP here, thanks for the suggestions especially the no bake cookies

she tried to make salad and it was a success, she was really happy
we're about to make the cookies and try some donuts in an hour
>>
>>7752366
This. Knife work is probably her best bet. With a little practice she could be cutting things as well as anyone. Most of the time the blade rests directly against your guide hand so there's actually like zero room for error. She only has to feel for the size/shape of the food, place her hands accordingly, and start cutting.
>>
You can get one of those no cut (usually nylon) knives that are usually sold for children learning to cook, she should be able to roughly cut most vegetable items without too much worry of cutting herself.
>>
Id imagine some finger foods made by pulling things apart
Some variation of a hand roll or an easy stew/chilli that can be eaten by being picked up with bread (something like Ethiopian food)
>>
>>7752544
Stop fooling yourself. We're all ugly, and not only on the outside.
>>
Hey so OP do you know about Katawa Shoujo
>>
>>7752347
I say this from experience. If she had spent her whole life in a kitchen and lost her sight, she could still cook 250 covers with near-prefect plating.

If she doesn't have the hand feel though... this would really just be pretty tough. I think your best bet is going to be a slow roast. Take like a rump roast or something, using a large pan with clarified butter, brown the outside (just takes a min or two on each side), put it in a pot with red wine, onion, carrots and beef stock as well as a bouqet garni and a few bay leaves. let it simmer for hours. The gravy here is the only thing I'm just not sure how she can do alone, if you act as sous, you can finish the gravy with just some corn starch and reduction.

As far as sides, something like a fresh kale salad with a fennel vinaigrette (I assume you could easily just buy that) and roasted fingerling potatoes would be fine.

Fingerlings, just cut in half tossed in warmed butter seasoned with white pepper and salt. put them in a pan and in the oven.
>>
File: hungry yet.jpg (42 KB, 500x654) Image search: [Google]
hungry yet.jpg
42 KB, 500x654
>>7752347
if she is your girlfriend and you really do like her teach her how to knife blind. knife skills are aided by sight but its not necissary to see if you are familiar with the object to be cut, and how to hold the knife and your hands so you have no danger of cutting yourself.

Knife skills are going to be one of the best things for a blind person to learn as being blind means that the objects you cut with a knife are going to be more known to you than something on your stove that is too hot to touch. A blind person has to _hope_ and use timing to deal with food in a pan, relying almost entirely on nose and ears, touching the meat, color, and doneness would have to be controlled down to a timed science so that food isn't under or overcooked.

Chopping on the other hand lets her do something that she has a tactile feel for. with progress being made at her own pace and with a result she can get instant gratification from. Working up from that basic is important.

What she needs is a open work area with a cutting board from a restaurant supply store. A sharp chefs knife, a sharp utility chefs knife or pairing knife. (this one is shorter) and a honing rod. Avoid knife blocks entirely.

If you cant aford her this for right now, the best thing to do is start with soup. Noodles are easy to boil, and require little direct preperation. As a bonus, soups can lead directly into chopping vegetables later and there are so many different verieties that you don't really have to be limited for her own tastes, there will be something she likes among the soups.
>>
>>7752347
>living the katawa dream

son, I hope she is the best kink of mommy gf
>>
>>7754034
This sounds rather sweet, OP
>tfw it's probably difficult to explain to her that she's cute
>>
Cerviche? Gazpacho?
>You might have to do the cutting for her

Also:
>http://www.visionaware.org/info/everyday-living/essential-skills/cooking/safe-cooking-techniques/1235
>>
>>7752471
No dude Anne Frank. She was deaf dumb and blind
>>
>>7754113
>remebering that lilly left for scotland
>why live
>>
OP reporting
she messed up the sugar ratio somehow and the cookies were really sweet, but we just laughed and tried to make some donuts instead

she really enjoyed kneading the dough and mixing the ingredients, and said that it feels funny feeling the watery dough turning into clay-like, while i take care of cutting and frying she tries to count the time for me

will definitely try other no bake cookie recipes though, any fruit that goes well with them?

>>7754287
yeah i will try to get her a good knife tomorrow because she begged for it, probably gonna take a long time to get used to it though
also soup is a great idea, thanks

>>7754954
she dislikes sour foods sadly

>>7754165
she was blind from birth, so she doesn't even know what knives look like, we would like to try simple dishes first before moving to complicated ones
>>
Where the fuck do you fuckers get those disabled girls?
I swear there are so many people in 4chan telling stories about deaf/blind/mute girls
You just pick them up on the street and then fuck them or what? I want my own cripple to play with
>>
>>7755026
>>7752471
It's Helen Keller, you're both retarded.
>>
File: 828520.jpg (22 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
828520.jpg
22 KB, 250x250
Hey OP, it isn't fucking worth it.

I once got a date with a fucking 10/10 deaf girl. I offered to cook her dinner so as a joke I made her the following

Appetiser- Jalapeno Poppers
Main Course- Ker-Plopp Korma Curry (curry with raisins floating in)
Desert- Berry Blast Ice Cream

Obviously it was a joke about how all of those things have sounds in their name. She didn't laugh and I had to explain the joke and she got offended. Girls are fucking crybabies and the disabled seem to think they deserve special privlige. She made fun of my hair during the meal and I didn't complain. Get an actual woman OP, not a monster.
>>
>>7755415
Jesus Christ man.
>>
>>7755744
i don't think the woman was the monster in that scenario
>>
>>7752347
DON'T PUT YOUR BLIND GIRLFRIEND IN A ROOM WITH HOT OIL YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

IF SHE DISFIGURES HERSELF (WHICH IS LIKELY IN THAT SCENARIO) THEN NO ONE WILL EVER LOVE HER
>>
You can do a simple salad of greens blind. Just tear the greens. Baby carrots don't need cutting either. You could put in raw broccoli as well. I know my mom likes raisins and sunflower seeds (which I think are stupid in a salad). Box croutons. Bottle dressing, mix rather than toss. Black pepper and a little shredded cheese.

If you want to use a food processor with the right parts you can do sliced cucumber without much hassle.

If you want meat in it, you can get those pre cooked grilled chicken strips.

If she can handle very coarse knife work, she can do chunked tomatoes. But even if not I think you've got a pretty complete salad there.
>>
>>7755744
that's not funny at all though, you're just retarded
>>
File: 1462680016138.jpg (320 KB, 630x462) Image search: [Google]
1462680016138.jpg
320 KB, 630x462
I'm blind and I have to say that using a knife was a dumb idea. I lost both of my hands and have to dictate my posts to my little brother now.
>>
>>7752347
Your girlfriend should do bread! I bet she'd be a badass bread baker. The kneading and tactile sensation, and bake by time, smell, knock on the crust, I don't care. She could do it. Get her into bread OP.
>>
>>7755906
>fregg.jpg
>>
>>7755924
Bread is fun and good hand exercise. But I wouldn't call it a solo job. Maybe if she has a kitchen scale that does audible weights. Also I wouldn't want my girlfriend to attempt bread without help the first time.

Even with a mixer there's so much goddamn technique involved that you have to learn by trial and (mostly) error. So little of what makes bread good comes from the ingredients (though often what makes it bad can come from there, especially with bad proportions of ingredients).

I really think if you want a 100% solo cooking task for her, it's got to start with salad. Especially if she's congenitally blind and has literally never done the kinds of tasks like cutting and measuring volumes. As someone who does functional rehabilitation work, though not with the blind, failure is SO discouraging, and the opportunities when they're really committed to trying so fleeting, that you just don't want to waste this.
>>
cool gadget: there are talking kitchen scales that can identify items (read the label on your sugar/salt) and then weigh it and say the ingredient name aloud.
>>
>>7752347
i would suggest a one pot meal. casserole or stew, clow cooker recipe ect
>>
>>7755384
don't skimp out on the wide cutting board. a duller knife will do for a while, the wide heavy board will give her more space to work so she doesn't have to worry about dropping produce off the board everywhere.
>>
>>7756633
if you don't know where your local restuarant supply type store is open to the public, try asking around or looking online.
>>
OP have you ever asked your gf about do blind people have dream when they sleep
>>
>>7758136
do blind people still see shit when they're high?
>>
>Knife
>Dangerous when blind
God how fucking awful is your or any of her peers cooking technique?
>>
>>7752466
Did you mean Helen Keller? Anne Frank wasn't blind
>>
>>7752347
Toast
>>
>>7758288
Probably.
If they're blind from birth, though, they'll most likely just conjure up random shapes that will look like nothing they've ever seen.
>>
>>7758554
Anne Frank was a jew, Hitler... Jews... Ovens..? Get it now anon?
>>
>>7754111
Trips of truth. I'm an ugly, mean bastard sometimes. Where do pick on blind chicks? I think I might be able to find one feeling on some shades at the sunglass hut.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.