[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We produce far more food than we need, yet GMO is needed because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12
We produce far more food than we need, yet GMO is needed because not enough power is concentrated into the hands of a few agribusiness firms.

If you disagree with this statement, you oppose science.
>>
>>7752287
>$1,500 per capita
annually? I pay way more than that annually.
>>
I don't think anyone is arguing that GMO is needed for us. They argue that it's needed for starving third-worlders.
>>
>>7752310
exactly, the ultimate advancement for GMOs is to allow them to grow in nutrient-poor soil with less water.
>>
>>7752320
and to make them look better and have potatos that don't sprout three days after you buy them.
>>
File: tomatoes.jpg (785 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
tomatoes.jpg
785 KB, 2048x1536
>>7752325
Yes, what the world needs is more plastic-tasting, perfectly photogenic produce so that everyone becomes like America: afraid of vegetables, and utterly dependent on HFCS, MSG, and partially dehydrogenated palm oil to make food palatable.
>>
>>7752338
the places that can produce tasty vegetables don't need those GMOs, mainland africa is not going to be able to produce heirloom quality tomatoes anyway, so they can deal with GMOs, unless we develop some trans-formative way to harvest fresh water (like energy efficient ways to use ocean water)
>>
File: ThelViewA.jpg (1 MB, 3008x1960) Image search: [Google]
ThelViewA.jpg
1 MB, 3008x1960
>>7752345
>mainland africa is not going to be able to produce heirloom quality tomatoes anyway
Are you suggesting that the entire continent of Africa has the same climate, soil, and hydrology?
>>
>>7752382
no, that's why I said mainland africa, central, there's a reason there are so many starving people there, the areas that are temperate and good for growing food and raising animals are not significant enough or just don't supply the rest of africa.
>>
>>7752382
When most people think of africa they think of a shit covered mud-hut village in a desert. They don't realise that Africa is an enormous continent. Besides that it's also a giant shithole thanks to its population though.
>>
File: pop.png (405 KB, 800x747) Image search: [Google]
pop.png
405 KB, 800x747
>>7752396
>mainland means central
Uh no, dude. Mainland Africa means Africa other than Madagascar, Cabo Verde, and so on.
>the areas that are temperate and good for growing food and raising animals are not significant enough or just don't supply the rest of africa.
What is your definition of "significant"? Almost nobody lives in the desert, most of the population overlaps fairly well with areas that are suited for agriculture.
>>7752401
Most Americans think Africa is a country.
>>
File: Winterfell_Godswood.jpg (176 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Winterfell_Godswood.jpg
176 KB, 1280x720
If plants have consciousness like I've read lately how can I possibly eat ethically? I've already cut out flesh because it involves the ending of a beings consciousness, what the hell do I do if a fucking CAULIFLOWER is conscious too???
>>
>>7752338
>partially dehydrogenated palm oil

either that was a typo or you just lost all credibilty. it kind of seems like youre just repeating talking points you heard other people discussing.
>>
>>7752418

>Most Americans think Africa is a country

Nice job negating everything you said before that point.
>>
>>7752431
>maximum autism
I made up an intentionally ridiculous ingredient that could not possibly exist to make a point about food.

Are you one of those people who gets mad when the gun makes the wrong sound in a movie?
>>
>>7752434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
>>
>>7752438
>autism accusation
nice damage control.

I don't think you know the difference between trans fat, saturated fat and unsaturated fat.
>>
File: 1429887265194.jpg (6 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1429887265194.jpg
6 KB, 160x160
>>7752434
>>7752431
Take a break from the keyboard sperglord
>>
>>7752447
Definitely vaccinated

When will you start typing up items from your list of logical fallacies?
>>
>>7752452
>>7752453
can't defend your statements so you go on the attack. classic comeback.
>>
>>7752464
Two different people, vaccine boy
>>
>>7752464
No >>7752452 is the only post I've made in this thread. I was scrolling by it and saw you were the typical spergposter more interested in semantics and the "gotcha" argument on wordplay than actually making an argument.

Thats all, back to your wasted afternoon I guess. I intentioanlly spelled that word wrong so you could "invalidate" my argument like the grammar cop you pretend to be.
>>
>>7752444
>1 American = most Americans
Maybe one person is a significant portion of the population in whatever shithole you live in, but it isn't here.
>>
>>7752468
this>>7752452
was also a response to two different people.

go ahead and call me names. you can also keep repeating unfounded claims that gmo produce tastes like plastic, that high fructose corn syrup is somehow used instead of plain sugar to make food taste better (you probably also think it's more dangerous), that msg is in most american food (you probably also think that's really dangerous as well). it doesn't make it true.
>>
>>7752492
>if you don't think andy capp xx-tra hot fries are delicious, you hate science!
Are you expecting a reward from the Mondelez corporation or something?

inb4 you sperg out at me because Andy Capp fries aren't made by Mondelez
>>
>>7752287
As a Bernie Sanders voter, I already oppose common sense and logic
>>
>>7752447
I knew a trans-fat once. After she had the addadicktome, he became very moody and unpleasant. She was already pudgy, but after the surgery, he was just a fatty-fatty fat-fat.
>>
>>7752501
I don't even know what andy capp fries are, but I'm done with this. you heard my perspective, I heard yours. we can leave it at that.
>>
>>7752287
>andy capp fries
most of that food is probably wasted in the restaurant industry from people who wont finish their plate
>>
File: 17p7on49hyagpjpg.jpg (36 KB, 636x508) Image search: [Google]
17p7on49hyagpjpg.jpg
36 KB, 636x508
I'll show you some methane released by food, nerd
>>
>>7752287
>encouraging institutions to purchasse ugly produce

one of my local grocery chains, Hannaford, just announced they are going to start buying and selling "misfits" as they call them. I guess I'll see how that goes. my guess is people aren't going to buy it, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>7752287
Wasted food is mostly spoiled food or at least no longer fit for sale by law. So you're basically telling everyone to eat literal garbage.
>>
>>7752631

I would buy misfits if they were cheaper. I don't give a fuck if my red bell peppers aren't symmetrical.
>>
File: asian face 1.jpg (29 KB, 407x428) Image search: [Google]
asian face 1.jpg
29 KB, 407x428
>>7752287

>ugly produce
>carrot comb
>>
I used to be a garbageman, people waste so much fucking food and seem to be wasteful in general. There's no reason a family of 4 should be putting out 3 heavy ass garbage cans every collection day.
>>
>>7752656
You'd be surprised how picky people are about minor blotches on produce because they've never grown anything in their life. Shit like sunscarring freaks most normal people out.

>>7752287
The majority of the waste is from grocery stores/producers. With a different culture we could knock this down some... but if you want well-stocked produce in stores then it won't go down until things start happening like in-store canning. Some places cook overly ripe produce and then sell the food, but you then have to sell that food as well.

Some stores just don't have good enough turnover and a lot of produce ends up moldy.
>>
>>7752667
What is a carrot comb ?
>>
Why does everybody talk about feeding Africa, their population is exploding with no world contributions to show for it. We don't need to be subsidizing their existence.
>>
File: Picture4.jpg (39 KB, 170x229) Image search: [Google]
Picture4.jpg
39 KB, 170x229
>>7756028
Africa only exists so that whataboutists can always change the subject and deflect away from their vile agendas
>don't like GMO? whataboutafrica?
>did you just accuse a certain government of a country that starts with "I" of committing crimes against humanity? whataboutafrica?
>you think the American South was wrong to enslave blacks? whataboutafrica?
etc

p.s. when whataboutafrica doesn't work for any reason at all, you are free to pick any random third world region or country, preferably some place no American can find on a map. if anyone questions you, say either
>why do you hate science
or
>why do you want poor people to die
>>
>>7752310
third-worlders should starve though
>>
>there's a reason there are so many starving people there,

The reason being that they won't stop fucking over their farmers.
>>
File: 274728464.jpg (25 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
274728464.jpg
25 KB, 300x250
>>7752287
>food insecure Americans
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.