[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /ck/, a wealthy entrepreneur approaches you about opening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: restaurant.jpg (185 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
restaurant.jpg
185 KB, 1400x933
Alright /ck/, a wealthy entrepreneur approaches you about opening a restaurant.

You can open literally any style of restaurant you want, but it must have some sort of gimmick or theme to make it special. It must follow the local laws of your city and state obviously.

What do you open?
>>
File: 1463925836248.png (838 KB, 854x851) Image search: [Google]
1463925836248.png
838 KB, 854x851
>>7751340
Microbrewery with traditional French Canadian cuisine.

>maple syrup bukkake
>>
Serve real 'go style 'za--talking plain ketchup in a bowl. Anyone who complains will get called a new york jew bagel boy bub.
>>
I would specialize in cheeseburgers but instead of cheese I would use peanut butter and instead of burger patty I would use jelly.

The New and Improved Cheeseburger Emporium, is the name I have been bouncing off investors in my free seminars that you can attend for 10 thousand dollars per day, but I'm not going to make the same mistake that Mr. Trump did, as will be upfront that it is not a real University but more like a bake-off.
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 1600x1320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 1600x1320
Might be really stupid but at home I cook a lot of local and southern food as well as Indian/Thai/Japanese stuff, so I'd really like to do a southern-Asian fusion place. Think like pic related.
>>
>>7751401
Sounds pretty good honestly.
>>
>>7751340
>What do you open?
Barbecue smoke shack.
I'm in England, and nobody does barbecue right here.
>>
File: th (3).jpg (15 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
th (3).jpg
15 KB, 300x225
>>7751465
GOD DAMNIT I WANT WHATEVER THAT IS!

>>7751340
Probably a skewer place that serves offal as well as more murican cuts of chicken. think sumika in los altos.
>>
File: uE2yOeR.jpg (74 KB, 474x645) Image search: [Google]
uE2yOeR.jpg
74 KB, 474x645
Raclette.
>>
>>7751465

I would have a high-class restaurant with only the finest dishes, and if anyone drew some shit on the plate like that guy did with grease and ketchup I would fire him immediately.
>>
File: 201.jpg (142 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
201.jpg
142 KB, 800x534
Mac-n-cheese. Different sauces all delicious.
>>
>>7751465
that sauce looks fucking disgusting.

why do so many chefs think streaking sauce across a plate looks good?
>>
File: america_yes_275.png (332 KB, 674x688) Image search: [Google]
america_yes_275.png
332 KB, 674x688
>>7751499

please please please tell me it's going to be an all-you-can-eat buffet! and not one of those that lie about the "all-you-can-eat" part.
>>
>>7751476
I have no idea why you think everyone lives in the santa clara valley, but do you just mean an izakaya?
>>
>>7751505
averageamerican.jpg
>>
>>7751465
If youre near Atlanta and want to try some place like that, look up pijiu belly, its p good and has a decent beer selection
>>
File: fight-for-the-colors.jpg (63 KB, 520x380) Image search: [Google]
fight-for-the-colors.jpg
63 KB, 520x380
Gettysburger

The restaurant is divided into "North" and "South" sections, and each section serves food specific to their region in addition to generic Americana cuisine like burgers and steak.

The Northern section serves things like New England clam chowder, lobster/crab, and seafood dishes.

The Southern section serves Fried food, corn meal biscuits, cajun style food, gumbo, etc.

The generic menu available in both sections has burgers, pizza, and other boring stuff like that.

The staff all have "ranks" and address the customers and other staff in character.

Both sections of the store have decor from their side, with flags, muskets, cannon, sabers, musical equipment, etc.

Weekends would have live Civil War and 1800's American folk music. We would also feature some modern folk and bluegrass acts as well.

Every night before closing, the side with the most sales/tickets/something else, "wins" the war and all the staff and customers on that side of the store get a special treat.
>>
>>7751528
>southern side
>waiters and waitresses
>all black
>white manager stands there doing nothing

neat idea! very region specific. I coud think of a number of places this would work and a number of locations this would not work.
>>
Hot chicken. I used to live in Nashville and this place Hattie B's had the best chicken i've ever had until I decided to make hot chicken myself. Hattie B's has two locations in Nashville and there is a 30 minute line during any hour loosely associated with lunch or dinner.
>Batter chicken and use a homemade hot sauce.
>Make millions.
>>
>>7751547
This.
If you made this is the south no one would eat in the northern side ever, if it were made in the north it would be more of a mix but you'd get protested for having confederate imagery. I could see this working in like coastal Virginia where it's technically the south but not really so people can eat on the northern side without shame but also northern tourists wouldn't think it's out of place.
>>
>>7751340
I wouldn't open a restaurant, the economy is going to shit. You saw the last jobs report?
>>
A nice deli with in house cured meats.
>>
>It must follow the local laws of your city and state obviously.

Like anyone here actually even knows what these are.
>>
>>7751340
I would open a hot dog place where you feed the customers hot dogs through glory holes. Each glory hole would be labelled a different topping hot dog with the final glory hole simply marked with a question mark which would serve randomly topped dogs
>>
>>7751509
I told you the city so you could look it up in google. is that too complicated for you?

izakayas don't always serve offal but essentially the fare would be almost the same with a focus on skewers.
>>
>>7751592
even in a solid economy opening a restaurant is not a safe investment. you can make the greatest food in town, but as soon as another place opens everyone is going to try there.

but we are due for a recession within the next couple years.
>>
>>7751340
McDonald's
>>
>>7751340
Wings and burgers, but served only by waitresses with conspicuously large breasts.
>>
I'd bring the munchie box to America.

A shitty hole in the wall, faux-wood paneling halfway up the walls, a floor where the most walked path is worn lacquer down to the bare oak. A few crooked framed pictures up on the wall of unknown people in an unknown place at an unknown time. Some are old, some are young, but they're all wearing smiles. A ceiling fan spins almost imperceptibly, pushing around stale air hung with old tobacco and fried food. There's 2 big windows at the front, looking out onto a desolate autumn afternoon.

I have one employee: a big fat bastard with a permanently greasy apron behind the one counter in the joint. He looks mean and tough but once you get to know him he's got a heart of gold. 15 inch non-color tube TV with one channel blaring all the time in some unknown location in the back, maybe a Chinese kid parked in front of it on a rickety stool. We don't know where the Chinese kid came from. The guy behind the counter, Mick, found the little boy sleeping in a box behind the place a couple years back. Doesn't speak a lick of English, just sits there in front of the TV watching whatever happens to be on. Mick'll make him a munchie box for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, each with special sides for the correct time of day. An egg or two for breakfast, some potatoes for dinner, you get the picture. But the kid never eats all that much anyways. No, most of the munchie boxes slowly grow cold, a small nibble or nothing at all taken from each. Mick doesn't mind. He'll hobble back after an hour or so of fixing the box and lean against the doorway, looking at the TV. He doesn't watch what's on the screen. He thinks about the boy, and thinks mostly about what the boy is thinking about. He'll hobble over to the boy and pat him on the shoulder, neither exchanging a word, but both understanding things unsaid. Mick will take the uneaten box, careful to not disturb the boy, and return to the counter to finish the stale food alone.
>>
Korean food friendly for white people. Delicious Korean dishes + American bbq staples for lame moms and dads + friendly approachable servers + easy to navigate menu + good soju cocktails + pitchers of hite and OB
>>
If a wealthy entrepreneur wanted to open a restaurant on his dime I assume he'd want it to be very high end, but if that doesn't matter I'd probably open a Cuban place.

I live in Philly and all the Cuban places here are very """""""Cuban"""""""" and if they made real Cuban and Spanish food it would be so much better with little more effort.
>>
>>7751845
And to follow the local laws, I'd let it be a BYO since those are so in now and Philadelphia has archaic liquor laws
>>
>>7751763
I would buy a book about this place.
>>
>>7751633
I know where Los Altos is because I'm from Los Gatos, I'm just saying you picked a really weird way to explain a fairly universal concept
>>
>>7751528
Would go

Give it 5 stars on yelp
>>
>>7752111
and I'm saying your wrong, most state side izakaya do not serve off cuts of meat because the american standard is against things like that.
>>
Lamb

specializes in lamb
>>
>spicy chilli restaurant
>specialize in soups and beanless chilli
>>
Food

specializes in food
>>
>>7751505

>literally
>figuratively
>>
Dorsia
>>
>>7753024
No one goes to Dorsia anymore
>>
A home-cooked style restraunt.

Where I live, demand for restaurants is minimal. We only have two in this town and neither does all that much business.

Four menu items:
1) Hamburger/cheeseburger
2) Chicken Fried Steak
3) T-bone steak
4) Fried chicken

And then daily specials. The daily specials would change each day. Only those things that the cook could cook perfectly would be used. Lunch specials could include one or two of the following:
1) A daily sandwich -- usually turkey, roast beef, or tuna.
2) Roast beef
3) Roast turkey
4) Pork chops
5) Baked fish
6) Baked chicken
7) Fish and chips
8) A German sausage of one kind or another
9) A Mexican plate
10) Barbecue beef
11) Barbecue ribs
12) Barbecue chicken
13) Barbecue pork
14) Spaghetti

Side orders for any meal would be selected from the daily side orders available -- usually some of (but not all of) the following: French Fries, mashed potatoes, squash, green beans, okra patties, corn on the cob, broccoli, asparagus.

---

That said, I suspect that a deli would probably be more popular here.
>>
I know of a couple of restaurants that only serve a special. No menu at all.

One to three different plates to choose from on any one evening.

Of the ones I know of, they are moderately expensive to very expensive and reservations are required. One is only open on Friday and Saturday nights.
>>
>>7751340
My restaurant would only ever have two dishes at any given time. Each menu item would be on the menu for two weeks at a time then replaced. The replacements would alternate so there would be a new item each week. The items would vary wildly and could be any dish from anywhere, limited only by what I could get in season at a fair price.
>>
>>7751340
Japanese Southern fusion.
>>
>>7753678
>only serve a special
a small special or two of the day + drinks bar is pretty much my dream
>>
White people soul food.
>>
>>7752136
Me too, until my side lost the competition.
Then it would get 1 star.
t. Expert Yelper
>>
I would open a 6 to 8 table fixed menu restaurant, the menu would change daily based on what I found at the market/felt inspired to cook, no substitutions, no special requests, no alternatives, you pitch a fit or get pissy, you can leave and never come back. You pay a Prix fixe which includes the entire meal from sit to stand, including wine. No sodas available, no silverware, no matter the dish, the tables arranged round an open concept kitchen allowing everyone to watch me cook and drink.
>>
>>7756899
So basically as a chef, you just want to get drunk and masturbate.
>>
I've long thought of a prehistoric style place specializing in meats (including less commonly served meats like venison and rabbit) and salads. Served big plate of various grilled meats on stone plate in middle of table. Big stone bowls with hot soup and fresh salads with various greens, berries, and nuts. Crude but effective flatware, though using hands is preferred. Lots of plants, staff dressed in furs, subtle animal sounds playing with occasional tribal drum beats. Fun activities for kids like coloring pages of pleistocene animals.
>>
File: 1444714541783.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1444714541783.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
>A dive bar with upscale barfood. No dishes priced over 12$. Happy hours with 1.50$ 16 oz canned beers and 3$ shots. We'd be famous for our 5$ long island iced teas.

fried chicken skins

scotch eggs

pork sisig (A filipino hash made from pork cheek)

Filipino adobo chicken wings (also availible in chipoltle and old bay)

House made brats with Reuben sauerkraut/ pickled giardiniera

Roasted Garlic tater tots with chipoltle aoili

house made bacon with rind still attached

a korean short ribs appetizer

Grilled zuchinni, squash, and onion skewers for those vegan faggots.

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JigHW5p7Mbw
>>
>>7756951
genius desu

there's a place in Paris called "Nos Ancestres Les Gaulois" that's not wholly dissimilar
>>
A restaurant/buffet dedicated to soups/chowders/stews. Nothing from Sysco freezer bags.

My gimmick would be to stylize the restaurant like a bar with taps and serve the dishes in giant beer mugs or coffee cups.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.