[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are insects a meme or do they actually taste good? Should I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10
File: 712mJa6aFcL._SL1500_[1].jpg (131 KB, 769x1500) Image search: [Google]
712mJa6aFcL._SL1500_[1].jpg
131 KB, 769x1500
Are insects a meme or do they actually taste good?

Should I get a bag of insects to prank my mates?
>>
please respond
>>
Are "delicacies" memes?

then yes.
>>
>>7749794
Well, I meant it more in a sense that there's a point to eating these other than just being low fat high protein.

Like do they actually taste of anything
>>
They considered protein for people that don't want to eat meat and don't regard bugs are sentient life that shouldn't be held sacred except for the most radical sect of hinduism. (they sued mcd for the beef flavouring)
>>
>>7749711
>Are insects a meme

Good grief what a preamble.
>>
>>7749796
I heard that those mixed critters, are like dried crackers.
>>
>>7749800
That's kind of boring.

For a funny snack, I guess it would make more sense to get some flavored ones
>>
File: mealwormfriedrice.jpg (284 KB, 1920x1355) Image search: [Google]
mealwormfriedrice.jpg
284 KB, 1920x1355
>>7749711
I've never tried them from the bag. I doubt they'd taste bad, it would just be very plain since I don't think they're seasoned.
They're good enough imo that I want more people to try them so there's more demand so I don't have to grow them myself and can just get a bag from the store.
>>
Are buffalo worms supposed to be phoenix worms?

Mealworms are delicious t b h. Crickets are acceptable.
>>
I hear locusts suck.

They're too crunchy and get stuck in your teeth
>>
File: entomophagybeondegi.jpg (392 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
entomophagybeondegi.jpg
392 KB, 1600x1067
>>7749810
Buffalo worms are a smaller species of darkling beetle larvae than the regular mealworms you see.
Phoenix worms are the larvae of Hermetia illucens (black soldier fly).
Very different things but both edible.
>>
File: entomophagy4.jpg (94 KB, 650x455) Image search: [Google]
entomophagy4.jpg
94 KB, 650x455
>>7749821
>>7749810
That pic was silkmoth pupae larvae btw.
This is bamboo worms (moth larvae).
>>
>>7749826
I had the chance to buy some silkworm larvae from an Asian grocery store once.

Completely regret never picking it up
>>
Would you eat a giant centipede
>>
>>7749711
I would be willing to try everything on this site except the giant rhino beetles and the tarantulas.
>>
>>7749821
If I ever do eat bugs that's what I'll try first. Those cocoons look delicious af, what are they seasoned with?
>>
>>7749837
I'm not sure, I'm sure you could just make something up though.
>>
>>7749835
It's a bit expensive on that page, though. The only other alternative is outside of EU, though, which would mean that i'd have to pay taxes, import fees and shipping
>>
>>7749843
Yeah, I was going to order something from Germany once (I'm in the US) and the shipping and taxes were retarded, the item would have cost over twice as much.
>>
Anyone actually tried eating a scorpion?

I thought their exoskeleton was tough as hell
>>
>>7749809
if they sold them with bbq flavouring I'd eat the hell out of them
>>
>>7749859
I'm pretty sure you can get BBQ flavored larvae
>>
>>7749853
In my experience for most bugs the shell when boiled becomes soft like the legs of shrimp are (if you've ever bit into those), and fried they become crunchy. It would depend on the size though, as they get bigger I've sure the exoskeleton gets tougher.
I've never tried scorpion though.
>>
>>7749882
Aren't you supposed to be able to eat them straight out of the bag, though
>>
>>7749884
I thought you were talking about preparing and eating fresh ones.
Yeah the ones from the bag would probably just be crunchy, I've only had crickets from the bag. And you do eat them straight from the bag.
>>
>>7749853
They are crunchy but not overly tough. I think the ones I had were fried, and it was crunchier than a soft shelled crab.
>>
>>7749853
I've only tried them in lollipops

Probably my least favorite insect out of the three I've tried.
>>
File: 2012-07-16_16-04-52_2381[1].jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
2012-07-16_16-04-52_2381[1].jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
Maybe I should get something like this.

Salt and vinegar is great.
>>
>>7749898
My sister actually got me a lollipop with a scorpion inside. I didn't know you were supposed to eat it, so I just had it lying around. Now it's all melted.
>>
>>7749711
Crickets taste like mushy pistachios.
Its hard to get over the crunch of the bigger beetles, think soft shelled crab with gooey muck in the middle.
Idk but one of the grubs I had reminded me of aniseed, it wasn't great.

Havent tried anything else, we bought a mixed bag from a vendor in Thailand, wasn't great, I wouldn't actively seek them out, but I wouldn't mind them being in a dish.

Main complaint texture wise? There is no "stringyness" to them, its goopy insides unless its tiny enough to be just all fried nothingness.
>>
>>7749912
>Mushy pistachios
Wait, what.
I thought crickets were like, dried
>>
>>7749931
It was a fried wagon, it was a mixed back of fried bugs, so no drying. Treat this shit as meat, there are more then one way to cook them.

You having said that makes me think the dried versions would probably better for a western palate like mine, the mushiness is real... wrong
>>
Will insects ever catch on in the US?
There's a lot of potential for them becoming a sustainable protein source since they're so easy to farm, but so far they're extremely expensive and rarely sold as more than a novelty.
>>
>>7749988
I live in TN, when we get the cicadas every 13 and 17 years people collect, freeze, and cook them.
>>
File: entomophagy8.jpg (2 MB, 2880x1920) Image search: [Google]
entomophagy8.jpg
2 MB, 2880x1920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy5pBI8WvK8
>>
>>7749988
I doubt they'll break into the mainstream. A huge majority of people are appalled by the thought of eating insects, and others would only eat the flavorless ones as a dare or something.
I saw on /fit/ that there was a company that sold cricket flour (just dry crickets crushed into powder) but it was ridiculoudly expensive. Probably won't really become cheaper until popularity leads to larger-scale farming operations.
>>
File: Horsehair-Worm.jpg (701 KB, 2500x1063) Image search: [Google]
Horsehair-Worm.jpg
701 KB, 2500x1063
>>7749711
too scared of parasites senpai
>>
>>7750012
You're just as if not more likely to get parasites from regular meat.
If they're farmed the chance of getting parasites from them is essentially zero, even before cooking.
And horsehair worms don't parasitize vertebrates.
>>
File: Nymph-019_l656aj[1].jpg (86 KB, 1774x800) Image search: [Google]
Nymph-019_l656aj[1].jpg
86 KB, 1774x800
>>7749853
The ones you get in lollipops are leathery and bitter. Frying them might help, but they'd still be tough and flavorless.

Also, you never really think about bug feet until one breaks off and gets lodged in your throat
>>
There's no fuckin meat on insects
>>
File: 1465073039070.gif (1 MB, 209x180) Image search: [Google]
1465073039070.gif
1 MB, 209x180
>>7749711
I once ate Scrambled Eggs with Locusts and Mealworms and it was pretty decent desu

But i wouldn't eat Locusts again simply because of their barbed legs that sometimes are not properly removed, and if you swallow one of those it can get stuck in your throat.
>>
had fried locusts at an australian pub once
came served on mashed potatos
tasted like absolutely nothing except frying oil
>>
>>7750700
This is exactly my worries with insects

What's the point of eating them if they don't taste like anything
>>
Yes anon, insects are a meme. Honestly the whole animalia kingdom is very pretty much a meme.
>>
>>7750797
Vegetarian detected
>>
>>7750739
those were pretty tiny locusts i must add, so maybe what little flavor was in them simply got fried away.

maybe some big ass locusts like in the video of >>7749992 would serve as a better snack
>>
>>7750807

Oh but vegetables are also a meme, and don't get me started on fungi, that's the biggest meme of them all.
>>
>>7750819
fuck off fungifag, photosynthesis is the way to eat
>>
>>7749797
I think those are Jainists
>>
>>7750822
Plants need not apply
>>
>>7750004

Bugbread sounds fun
>>
>>7750004
you could always breed bugs for personal cooking.
it can't be that hard, expensive or timeconsuming
>>
>>7750995
It would be pretty gross, though
>>
>>7751048
Superworms and mealworms don't make any smell.
Just gotta wear a mask when cleaning them because if you inhale their poop (it's like dust) you will be able to smell it for some time.
But you only should have to clean every few months.
>>
>>7749711
They're a very efficient way of growing protein.
>>
>>7751048
4u?
>>
>>7749711
Scorpion tastes like nori seaweed, you know that shit they use for sushi? I ate both raw, both of them are delicious.
>>
>>7749900

I've had these, they're not bad.They're crisp and crunchy but not a lot of flavor besides what they're seasoned with. Kinda popcorn-like.
>>
>>7751439
sounds alright
>>
>>7750024
>you never really think about bug feet until one breaks off and gets lodged in your throat
just listen to yourself for a moment
>>
>>7751227
Sure, why not.
>>
>>7750836
Jains are pretty hardcore vegetarians. I seriously doubt they'd eat insects.
>>
>>7749711
I've had silk worms
They have the texture of soggy croutons and taste like what hay seems like it'd taste like
>>
Are they cleaned? Aren't bugs full of shit and carriers of viruses?
>>
They taste great and also go into any dish pretty well and when we go into space, bugs will be the protein in our food.
>>
>>7753770
If they've been living in the sewers, maybe. Bug viruses don't jump to humans since they're so different. That's why there's swine/bird flu but not cricket flu.
The viruses/parasites that get passed to humans usually had evolved to be passed from the bug to humans, like the kind mosquitoes can spread.
tl;dr: bugs aren't more likely to carry any of those things than anything else. Raised on farms it's a non-issue.
>>
>meme or taste good
Food's fuel, fag. And insects are hella efficient fuel.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.