[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Terrible Restaurants in your town that quickly closed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 1445325780123.jpg (92 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
1445325780123.jpg
92 KB, 625x469
Sup /ck/, let's discuss terrible restaurants in your town that quickly closed.

>Terrible bar called Jackasses
>All the food had retarded names like the "Big Dick Burger" and the "Pasta de Cum Saunce"
>If you didn't ask for the the item you wanted exactly the wait staff would make you repeat it.
>I'd like a hamburger please
>What was that?
>A hamburger?
>Read the menu
>T-the big d-dick burger
>ONE BIG DICK BURGER COMING RIGHT UP

They closed in about 6 months

(Pic unrelated)
>>
>work in the mall when I was college
>all typical food court shit
>bbq place opens up for some reason
>get pulled pork sandwich
>it's awful and cloying, tastes like ketchup
>month or two later, decide to try them again
>order ribs
>tastes like it was from a slowcooker, same ketchup cloying taste

I like to give places chances, but that place did not deserve my second time. They closed a few months later because the mallrats preferred the shitty teriyaki place and McD's instead.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-04-19-48-50.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-04-19-48-50.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>the b-big d-dick burger
Holy shit i keked
But on topic
>Shit indian restraunt they served pizza and burgers too but always tried to claim authenticity
>Open for a year closed down due to sanitation issues
>COULDN'T KEEP POO IN THE LOO
>also the food wasn't good to begin with and was very overpriced
Captcha looks like it has shit in it
>>
>like a restaurant
>it closes in a year

>dislike a restaurant and think the food is terrible
>restaurant still open and has been for 5 years

Just what the fuck.
>>
>Friends in college club buy up a restaurant
>Serve stuff like Luther burgers and other novelty items
>It's actually not that good
>Never went after freshman year
>Restaurant is closed within a year or two
I guess I had lost contact with them by that point anyway
>>
>>7748902
>cloying
This is how i know ur pretentious af
>>
>>7748928
this desu

my city has this disgusting mexican resteraunt that is somehow the local favorite.
Got chile rilleno and it came swimming in a pool of tasteless orange liquid and has already gotten soggy and breaks apart when I so much as touch it. Got nachos too and theres just this half melted hunk of velveeta cheese on top.
They are packed every night.
>>
>>7748928
Such is life in the working-class suburbs.

>mfw Cracker Barrel won a local "best eatery" award.
>>
>>7748941
Legit every time I went to a Cracker Barrel (not my choice but don't want to be 'that guy' witht he problem with the restaurant) the dining room was jam packed.

I don't get it.
>>
>>7748941
Cracker Barrel rules.
>>
I always thought their naming conventions were needlessly crass, but there was a place here with no name that served really rather good Mexican/Tex-Mex/Southwestern/Calimex food. I'm not sure which as I'm not familiar enough with any of them to know how to make that distinction. They were open for years, but they might fit ITT all the same.

All their tacos were called bendovers and their burritos were called condoms. And their refried beans were called santorum.

>hi, may i have a beef-filled condom, a chicken bendover and a side of santorum, thanks?
>>
>>7748950
How's life in Christville, IN?
>>
>>7748946
Surprisingly enough there is actually a marketing technique that states that people are more likely to visit something familiar and known rather than something new and unknown; even if it is of poorer quality and taste.
>>
>>7748956
I don't understand how these businesses get off the ground, you literally can't have a family meal at these places

Is the target demo those assholes who wear hot topic t-shirts with bro jokes on them? Is that demo really large enough to support a restaurant business?
>>
>>7748946
The white trash palate is truly something to behold.

See also: Golden Corral, Waffle House, Red Lobster, Red Robin, Chick fil A, Green Bean Casserole, Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, Wolf Brand Chili, The Cheesecake Factory, Applebee's, etc.
>>
>>7748965
Not surprising at all, people love familiar shit and are generally risk averse
>>
>>7748968
I can see how some idiots think starting a business like this might be a good idea. What I wouldn't understand is how something like this could obtain financing from a bank before opening.
>>
We had a food truck that sold crepes

It was actually really good, just bizarre because I think the majority of people would give it a miss because they think of crepes as a dessert. Also the whole assembly process from cooking the crepe to filling it with stuff seemed to have very low throughput, you'd be third in line and wait for 15 minutes
>>
>work at a bakery on main street
>only place in town that does fresh baked breads and shit, the other two "bakeries" only sell donuts (and not very good ones)
>new place opens up on the other end of the block, "new york style bagels!"
>it's just one guy, and he doesn't actually bake anything; shit's all frozen bulk bagels and they're both fucking terrible AND hideously overpriced
>about two months after he opened, he came into our place and talked to the owner about us supplying him with bread to sell in his store

We didn't, of course. As soon as he left we all had a good laugh. Bagel place lasted about another... six weeks, I'd say?

There's a cut-rate mexican place there now. They aren't doing so well either. Turns out opening the blandest fucking burrito joint on the planet in a town that already has a mexican eatery on every street corner isn't a good plan for printing money.
>>
a polynesian 'restaurant' with a hotbox full of food that was barely ever open
the fried chicken was nice, literally nothing else looked appetising or tasted good

the same spot has been occupied with a really good malaysian indian place, which I'm thankful for
>>
>>7749012
Australia?
>>
>>7748989
Was expecting the cheap trashy bagel place to put you out of business because customers have shit taste
>>
>>7749026
yes actually
>>
There was a Thai place that made Pad Thai that was worse than something I'd make at home. They're still open so I guess that doesn't count.

Chinese Buffet. That was the name. They served shitty reheated Chinese food and the worst sushi I've ever had. They actually stayed upon for a few years.
>>
>>7749040
If you can't make a dish better than some shitty generic restaurant, then you have issues
>>
We have a local cursed restaurant, it has changed owners and names at least six times in the last decade, always selling random takeout pub food like burgers and wings. The two people who tried to stay longer than a year died, one of a heart attack and one of cancer

Food is average enough but shits got some voodoo curse man. I even met the owner before he died once, I came in on a slow hour and he was sleeping on one of the chairs and he closed up after he made my food and it never opened again
>>
>>7749049
I don't have a wok burner. That's why I don't make most Asian dishes at home. I feel pretty confident I could make a good Pad Thai. I just don't have the stove to do it.
>>
>>7749037
Cool man, I'd like to visit one day.
>>
>>7748968
The place was really popular. I passed by it one day and the place had become, much to my surprise, "Nora's Tacos." I don't know if the owners or workers were the same or not, though.

>>7748880
Another terrible restaurant, this one right up the street from me, served couscous, tlitli and berkoukes. Nothing else. Those are three different shapes of pasta, mind you, served with stews and things on top.

Now, it's not that the restaurant itself was bad. It wasn't. It's that the owner was a fucking dumb bitch. Like seriously fucking retarded.
See, the area it was in is full of Algerians. Algerian woman cook at home, so how this place intended to stay open when anyone who knew what the fuck berkoukes was could just go home and beat his wife to make it for him is beyond me.
Furthermore, neither the owner nor her husband spoke English well, the kids were seldom around to help with translation, the menu was all in French and Arabic and had no English-language explanations of menu items (which presented another problem, as the kids couldn't read Arabic at all nor speak it much to begin with), and Amazigh food is completely fucking unknown here in the US is. Again, how did these dumb motherfuckers expect to succeed?

The food was rather good, to be honest. Fucking phenomenal, really. But trying to get whitebread Americans into the place to offset the fact that no Algerians are gonna pay someone else to cook food their mama's and wives cook when you don't speak any English was a really, really dumb move.
>>
File: buffet trays.jpg (150 KB, 900x601) Image search: [Google]
buffet trays.jpg
150 KB, 900x601
>>7748983
>We had a food truck that sold crepes

Years back I worked at machine shop that had a “roach coach” type food truck stop by everyday for lunch and it was awesome.

While they had pre-made sandwiches and such, their business plan was… “mom food”; mostaccioli, breaded chicken, mashed potatoes, meatballs, green bean casserole, etc. All the stuff most people normally eat for dinner, all laid out in heated buffet pans and you’d pile up a Chinet paper plate with a fuck load of whatever you wanted and it was only $3.00-4.00.
>>
>>7748971
I like Waffle House but it sure as hell isn't award worthy. It's just chain food.

But then one got a local award where I live and I'm just disappointed.
>>
>>7748880
>movie theater nar highschool
>a big place, had a supermarket in the first floor, ten different screenings at the same time, a big arcade with bumping carsw and a food court with 4 restaurants and a mcdonalds
>restaurans open and close every couple months
>this grill place opens, go there with friends and order chicken
>chicken tastes off, everyone tries it and agrees that its rotten
>tell the waiter and he tells me i can get my money back but im never allowed there again
>sure thing, i dont want your shitty food
>month later place closes
>>
Take-out wrap place run by a stone faced, scary looking middle eastern man with a pissed off headscarf wearing wife that treats you like you're wasting her time by ordering food, and like 12 other family members. You'll be the only white guy and possibly only english speaking guy when you walk in.

You can get a grilled shish tawook wrap as big around as your arm with crispy pita bits inside it for six bucks though if you don't mind maybe starring in an ISIS execution video
>>
File: cursed resturant.jpg (1 MB, 1708x1280) Image search: [Google]
cursed resturant.jpg
1 MB, 1708x1280
>>7749050
> We have a local cursed restaurant

We’ve got one of those also, it’s a huge place and really nice inside and was originally some kinda steak house followed by literally dozens of different resturants over the last 30 years before becoming a Shields pizza and finally, a Rub BBQ.

It’s still for sale if anybody is interested;

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16193238/5702-E-12-Mile-Road-Warren-MI/
>>
>>7748880
'JAZZI CHICKEN'.
A fried chicken place in an english suburb, replacing a chippy that went under.
Never ate there. Always smelled terrible, never open at times I was in the area.

Little curry houses start up, get raided by immigration officials, shut down instantly when the staff get deported.

Where I actually live, there was a greek restaurant. Shut down fairly quickly. Got replaced by 'palestinian cuisine', also vanished. Went lebanese, that vanished. I think it's back to greek again, though.
It's a shit location; no parking, busy crossroads that's always jammed up so your food's coated in diesel soot. I never ate there, probably never will.

Honestly, the best small place nearby is the kebab van. That guy knows how to cook chips, and he fries stuff in front of you so you know it's fresh and clean. The burgers are cheap shit beef that goes clean through you without slowing, but the chicken is juicy and fresh.
Plus, his idea of a 'chicken burger' is the same as a 'chicken kebab', just in a bun instead of on a pitta.
>>
>>7749154
My city has like three of those. One had a pretty successful sports bar in it but it got shut down when the owner was caught diddling the servers.
>>
>>7748959
its divine
>>
>>7748982
The bank won't ask what your gonna name your food and I wouldn't be surprised if when they applied for a loan they conveniently forgot to tell the loan guy they were gonna give everything a vulgar name
>>
Jamaican pizza place around the place I used to work.

Orders were frequently late because the Jamaican they had working there literally smoked too much weed.
>>
>>7749040
I went to a Chinese Buffet a few months ago and it was one of the saddest places I've ever been. The place was pretty big, but it was about a quarter full, there were flies around the sashimi, and everything looked like it had been sitting there for hours.

I used to love Chinese Buffets... I wonder if they were always this shitty
>>
>>7749183

The Rub BBQ was pretty good but only if you ate inside, if you ordered take-out they’d fuck up the order every. single. time.

I don’t understand why that spot has so much turn-over, as it’s in the heart of the city and just a 1/4 mile away from GM’s Tech Center with a bazillion employees and is surrounded by the neighborhood with all kinda families, so you’d think they’d get tons of customers?
>>
File: gilman-porkshwarma300.jpg (36 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
gilman-porkshwarma300.jpg
36 KB, 225x300
>>7748928
>love a restaurant
>it expands across the country
>fucking amazing everywhere

Cafe Rio is the best mother fucking place in the world. Barbacoa pork served enchilada style with mild sauce in side, hot sauce outside is quite honestly the best thing in the world. Or so I thought till I moved to mexico city

>Taco al pastor con queso y pina
>aka the Meat Tornado

Also, met my GF in Chicago, go to mexico city where a Gino's East opens up and get some chicago deep dish with pastor and chorizo. Most amazing fucking pizza you will ever eat.
>>
>>7749191
Do you think the bank just gives out loans freely to whatever crap comes in the door? I haven't worked with a startup restaurant applying for financing before, but I have worked with small startups applying for bank loans.

Shit the bank usually asks for for a new loan:
>Business plan
>Personal tax returns and business tax returns if you've run run a business before
>Personal credit report
>Background (Someone with no restaurant experience will have more trouble getting a restaurant loan for instance)

If you fail to disclose material information you could face a civil lawsuit or even criminal charges. I knew a client who ended up in prison for lying about what he was going to use bank loans for. If your business plan neglects to mention that the restaurant is going to give everything a filthy name, the bankers involved are going to be livid when they find out.
>>
>>7748880
It's unrelated but we have a restaurant that everyone is pretty sure is run only to launder money. They have the cheapest pizza in town, in all sense of the term, they make pizza hut look like a michelin star restaurant. Every other year they'll change name but they never really close down and the personnel/menu stay the same.
>>
>>7748983
Crepes are huge in mexico. I have no idea why but every other corner was a crepe place.
>>
>>7749254
There is a chinese place like that where I live. It's changed names 3 times in the 22 years I've lived here, but owned by the same guy.

The food is alright for americanized chinese food and the pricing is reasonable, but there's never anybody in there. I've been there twice and both times I was literally the only table there during prime dinner hours.
>>
>>7749183
Whats wrong with diddling servers at sports bar? Guy was probably just trying to wet his beak a bit?
>>
>>7749270
That place also exist here, it's a cheap all you can eat buffet that has had more fine for bad sanitation than I am old.
>>
>>7748968
Well you can't have a family meal at Alinea or Noma either desu
>>
>>7749251
I don't like Cafe Rio. Everything is oversweet. Their "hot" sauce isn't hot at all. Way more sweet than hot. Everything tastes like it's had a ton of sugar added to it.
>>
>>7749058
You don't need a wok burner for Thai stir fries. They're typically cooked at a temp lower than the max of most electric ranges
>>
>>7748971
Hey don't talk shit on chic fil a
>>
There's a building that has had 3 different restaurants in the last few years; none of them have lasted very long.
It was originally a nice Japanese place, but they shutdown in '08 as everything was going to hell (it was a fairly expensive place, and people stopped eating out).

The building was empty for a few years, then a ramen place moved it. They were open less than a month before closing.
Then a Vietnamese place moved in. Closed less than a month later.
Cajun placed moved in. Closed less than a month later.

There's a sign out front now for a barbecue place, but it's said "coming soon" for almost 6 months, so I assume they aren't opening.
>>
>>7749253
I understand banks just don't give loans out to anyone.

But isn't it possible the the person who applied for the loan. Said they were gonna open up a place that sells tacos and burritos with somewhat edgy names? Also are the names on your menu really under the control of the bank? Could I be sued if by the banks if I owned a grill and named one of my items a "fugger burger" and I went under cause people thought it was supposed to be "fucker burger"
>>
>>7749243
>sashimi not made to order

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE
>>
Mexican/Mediterranean/Asian fusion fast food restaurant.

man was that place terrible. you could shit through a screen door standing up in 6 languages after eating there.
>>
>>7748971
>not worshiping at the altar of Chik-Fil-A
hows it like to be a shit taste pleb?
>>
>>7749291
you are insane.

Downtown SLC has a few places that come and go constantly. One place was a quiznos and then a super over-priced hotdog moved in. They weren't even special hotdogs. Just normal, plain as can be bun and a standard hot dog you can get at any grocery store for a few bucks a pack. They sold a hot dog with ketchup, mustard, a small bag of chips, and a small drink for $8. Oh but you could get TWO hotdogs for $11!

That place lasted about 2 months before turning into another generic sammich place that I have no idea is there anymore.

Most of the time you just think "why? why even bother? This place will clearly fail in a month".
>>
>>7748935
>Got nachos too and theres just this half melted hunk of velveeta cheese on top.

Ugh, there used to be a restaurant in my town that served nachos like that. Just plain tortilla chips (I swear they weren't even salted), jalapenos from a jar, and Kraft cheese on top. I also once had shrimp there that hadn't been deveined. I was not surprised at all when they went out of business.

Sadly the best place to eat in that town is the Subway. The best thing I ever did in my life was get the fuck out of there.
>>
An overpriced sushi shop for tourists opened in my town. They were replaced by an overpriced craft pizza shop for tourists. I think it was bought out by a popular bar for tourists next door though.

On the other hand there's a super successful local place a block away with packed house and a line out the door on weekends. Just a good honest shop they make big portions of good food for fair prices. Pay your $10 for a big plate of chicken and fries that'll leave you satisfied, cooked in front of you fresh hot and delicious.
>>
>>7749355
>$10 for a big plate of chicken and fries that'll leave you satisfied, cooked in front of you fresh hot and delicious.
man that sounds really good right now.
>>
>>7749243
There are good Chinese buffets, but they're happening places with a constant flow of clients and can afford fresh(er) food.

It's actually a really good indication how good the place is by the number of occupied seats—a pet theory of mine is that a lot of the crappier places block the windows so nobody can gauge this before coming in.
>>
>>7749340
>Worshipping a literal fast food chain
>Calls others pleb

I heard that Jesusburg, AR is really buggy in the summers! Hopefully your Republican legislature got your Zika vaccine approved in time!
>>
>>7749254
Oh shit, I have this same thing. There's this pizza place that's 24 hours open and the taste is indescribably bad. Have you ever eaten in a house that's infested with roaches or rats? It's like that, but somehow worse.
The location has reinforced plexiglass. You come inside, go around a corner, and you pay and receive your pizza through a small window like a bank teller. No ways that's not a front for drug dealing and/or money laundering.
>>
>>7748880
>Great pasta restaurant near my college closes down
>gets replaced by a new pasta place
>decide to go to it yesterday and order some fusilli vodka
>vodka sauce tastes like fucking watered down cardboard
>whole meal was 9 bucks
Fucking terrible. How do you fuck up vodka sauce? I needed to dump a shit ton of cheese on it to get anything remotely close to flavor.

It's a real shame because the pasta restaurant that closed down was actually fucking great.
>>
>>7749327
It would really depend on the situation. You'd probably have to do something like say you were opening a family restaurant and open a 21+ bar to face criminal charges. (The client I knew who went to prison borrowed money saying it was for his successful business, then used it to fund one of his unsuccessful ventures.)

If your restaurant's big gimmick is food with utterly foul names I doubt you'd face any kind of criminal charges for failing to tell the bank, but the bank might sue or call the loan depending on the circumstances. And good luck getting a loan from them in the future.
>>
>>7749387
>Republican legislature
>not dixiecrat klansmen
get with the times you damnyankee.
>>
>>7749254
>>7749388
>restaurant opens up as a drug dealing cover
>owner's grandma starts working the kitchens
>best fried chicken in town
>>
>>7748971
I'm a pretty big "foodie" (hate that word) and I still enjoy eating at places like red robin and old spaghetti factory, they are always at least decent and it's sometimes nice to just have a simple meal with a lot of choices. also don't shit on green bean casserole till you've had it with freshly made cream of mushroom soup.
>>
there's a sushi place in vancouver called the eatery, it operates on the same theme as the place OP mentioned, they sell stupid panties at the front that say "miso horny". and their rolls and even just raw fish are fucking terrible and they have a bunch of gross gimmick rolls with the worst combinations.
>>
>>7748971

Chick fil A does not belong on that list and you know it, you shithead.
>>
>>7749402
I am unfamiliar with loan being called. How does the bank instantly get the money back?

True. I feel like after opening a business and failing you'd need to have friends in high places to even get another loan
>>
>>7749421
I'm surprised the city of Vancouver along with the SJWs haven't run them out of town yet seeing as Vancouver is pretty much HK.
>>
>>7748971
red robin is great.
>>
>>7749435
I live there, SJWs aren't really a thing you encounter in real life outside of small little rallies and colleges. vancouver has an equal amount of crack addicts and stupid hockey loving hosers who are dumb as a brick.
>>
>>7749432
If a startup restaurant loan got called, there's pretty much no chance they'd get it all back since a lot of it would already have been spent on equipment and getting the restaurant setup.
>>
>>7748880
We have one in my hometown that has seen SIX different owners since it originally opened. Gypsy curse shit. Nothing was ever awful compared to others in the area they just can't ever make it.
>>
>>7748971
ci-ci's
>>
>Popular hole-in-the-wall sells crepes with god-tier toppings
>Someone opens up a competing crepe hole-in-the-wall a block down
>Prices are $2-$3 more than the other place
>Crepes are too thick and pancakey
>Expensive topping range is shit like nutella, on its own, or two chopped strawberries
>They're closed over lunch and from 6pm-7pm
>The handful of people who do try them go straight back to the other place
>They close in less than six months
>>
>>7749154
Theres about a dozen cursed locations here in Ypsilanti that I know of. Random restaurants and even chain places have opened in them, but they never last more than a year, two tops.
>>
>>7748946
I worked at Cracker Barrel for six years, and there's only like four things on the menu that are made from fresh ingredients. Everything else is from a can, bag, or box. The trick is, they source everything from good places, so they get decent, consistent product. It's all about consistency with places like that.
>>
>>7749040
theres a place right by my house like that. i cant understand how they can fuck up pad thai that badly, when they have all FRESH food to make it with.
>>
>>7749534
No, but where is she from, I probably fucked her.
>>
>>7749530
How were the tips, if you were a waiter? Judging by the clientelle I've seen at Cracker Barrel, I imagine some real sad, cheap fucking tips.

Or did it not matter because there were so many tables?
>>
>>7748880
What city/state was jackasses in OP?
>>
>>7749435
the Chinese in vancouver are from HK and the mainland and they don't actually give a shit about SJW muh cultural appropriation. all that bitching is typically from American/Canadian born Asians who have long assimilated
>>
>>7749603
Yeah, that was my point - all the ABCs there.
>>
>>7749605
most of the hardcore SJWs are at SFU--too far from The Eatery to give a shit I guess.
>>
>>7749582
I was not a waiter, worked in the kitchen. But for the girls, $100 was a really good shift. Most had second jobs/husbands/worked 60 hours a week.
>>
>>7748971
This is bait.
>>
>>7749629
How was your date to authentic eye-talian dining restaurant Olive Garden, Cletus?

Did the missus enjoy her glass of Barefoot wine to accompany her endless [salad &] breadsticks?

Hope they honored your coupon even though it was a couple months expired!
>>
>>7749676
>Hope they honored your coupon even though it was a couple months expired!

I don't know why, but this made me laugh really hard.
>>
>>7749079
>Nora's Tacos
don't you mean Nora's Bendovers
>>
There's a spot downtown that everyone thought was cursed because the place is literally in a perfect location to make mad bucks but nothing that was ever there succeeded. There has been a Wendy's, a Dairy Queen, an italian place, a Popeye's Chicken, and a sushi place there, with about a decade's worth of vacancy in between.

As it turns out, the guy that actually owned the lot and rented to businesses was a piece of shit that constantly tried raising rents, refused to ok certain repairs and replacements, and held permits and shit hostage. So none of the places had actually gone out of business, they'd all told the guy to fuck himself and bailed.

Dude ended up going bankrupt. The lot was seized and sold, and now the Freddy's there is doing great.
>>
File: indian best pizza.jpg (112 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
indian best pizza.jpg
112 KB, 600x800
need i say more
>>
>>7749154
Isn't Warren a ghost town anyway?
>>
>>7749777
>poo in da 'za
>>
>>7749777
what difference between cheeseburger and beef burger
>>
>>7749995
You're not the brightest knife in the drawer are ya?
>>
I was bored and stoned and hungry so I went to this little restaurant in town around lunchtime. Completely dead. Man emerges from kitchen as though surprised he has a customer. He tried to sell me on some "fresh seafood chowder" he'd made "the day before" that was probably slowly going bad in the kitchen.

Then the Pepsi delivery guy showed up before I could order and the restaurant dude didn't have enough cash in his wallet to pay him. When the restaurant dude went into the back to find his checkbook, I slipped out.

I'm sure I made that guy feel awful. It was one of the saddest things I've ever experienced, up there with being the only guest at my bully's birthday party. It's a Chinese food place now.
>>
>>7750050
>Man emerges from kitchen as though surprised he has a customer.

Always a bad sign, always. This has happened to me three or four times in my life, and I don't even stick around anymore when it happens.
>>
>>7750050
>It was one of the saddest things I've ever experienced, up there with being the only guest at my bully's birthday party.

That brings back memories of a graduation party

>Guy invited me to his graduation party
>We weren't really friends but he was nice enough so I decided to go
>Showed up intending to drop in for 15 minutes and say hi
>There's a full spread of food out
>Nobody else is there except for his parents
>There were no other grad parties that day so I didn't have the heart to just leave
>Stayed 3 hours with nobody else there
>Finally one other person showed up
>Stayed another hour

Man I felt bad.
>>
>>7749995
That'd be the cheese, champ.
>>
>>7749421
UBCfag here, can confirm. It's a meme place where rich kids go to try "fusion" food.
>>
>>7749366
... whats its name anon.... whats its name
>>
>traveling on a train on Christmas day to see grandma
>stop in a town where I'm getting picked up
>look around for place to eat, but everything's closed (this was in the days before smart phones)
>finally find a place
>it's some hippy-ish cafe, complete with a tree painted on the wall and a hodgepodge of tables and chairs
>look around for anyone
>bunch of 50 year old guys smoking pot in the back
>one finally notices me
>"Hey man, what's up? You're...you're our first customer today, that's so weird."
>"...It's Christmas."
>"...Woah, is it?"

So I got a bagel with pesto on it and a glass of carrot juice. The bagel and pesto were from Costco, the carrot juice was disgusting, and when I went to go pick up my food from the counter the guy started chatting me up about joining the rastafarian religion, and how the tree of life in the bible was actually a pot bush or whatever, I can't even remember, I was 12.

I met a guy who lived in that town and he said he knew EXACTLY the restaurant I was talking about. And he said they closed down about a month after I visited, maybe less.
>>
>>7749484
If they knew what was good for them, they should have offered the superior crepe, the savoury.
>>
>>7749254
The IRS looks into money laundering via pizza places by comparing the amount of pizza you claim to sell vs the flour you buy. If you claim to sell a lot of pizza but aren't deducting a lot of flour as a business expense (with receipts to prove it), they know you're up to some shit.

Now, if you actually went through with buying the flour and just sold a lot of cheap pizza (or claim to), you can obscure the money trail a bit more.
>>
>>7749777
Don't act like you don't want to try that Taj Ma-Hawaiian special.
>>
>>7748933
You criticizing someone for using a good and descriptive word to communicate their experience and your parroting of recent trendy slang (af) is how I know you're an idiot who shouldn't have posted.
>>
>>7749132
>You didn't like our food
>Clearly we should permanently lose a customer
Where is constructive criticism and McDonald's advice of take care of the customer and the business will thrive?
>>
>>7748880
>walk-in asian fusion wok place beside a main road in the city centre
>fat neckbeard cook over the counter stares at my average-looking long term girlfriend
>food portions are insanely small and proportionally expensive
>smells of exhaust because you know, cars 3m away from the deep fryer/wok
>'you want some authentic asian takeout as well, honey? - 'no thank you dear, I cant stand deep fried peanuts'

Oh boy did she puke her eyeballs out that night. And thats why you let women learn on their own
>>
File: ATCHOO.gif (2 MB, 418x272) Image search: [Google]
ATCHOO.gif
2 MB, 418x272
>love a restaurant
>over time the portions get less generous, the prices become higher and the quality deteriorates
>it turns into one of those mini-chains
WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN
>>
>>7748971
I came in here to say dont talk shit about chick fil a. They are one of the few fast food joints left with good food and actual service.
>>
File: Perfect-jacket-potato-006.jpg (26 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Perfect-jacket-potato-006.jpg
26 KB, 460x276
>Place selling baked potatoes opens up
>Basically a small food cart
>Seems like a good idea at first, baked potatoes very cheap and warming
>Could be a success
>However it is opened and run by 'hipsters'
>they have a 'gimmick' to make it a success
>list of fillings is about 100 different things
>don't know if they even have it all
>many of the things sound very similar, for example, 'bacon and leek', 'cheese mountain peak' and 'feta cheese Greek' are all options
>whenever someone orders the servers say 'POTAYTOE, POTARTOE!' and give the person ordering something that rhymes with what they ordered but isn't actually it
>idea is people will learn to order what they want, by ordering whatever rhymes with it
>gimmick fails horribly
>customers constantly get pissed at being given things they don't want
>after a week they stop getting any customers
>they go out of business
>local paper runs an article with the headline 'SUCCESS, A MESS'
>nobody ever sees them again
>>
hotdog place a block over on one of the busiest streets of downtown denver

I went in a few days after it opened during the afternoon and it was largely empty. I ordered 2 to go. Took roughly 15 minutes for them to finish. Completely average.
>>
>>7750532
OP was looking for true stories.
>>
>>7749454
>>7749432
For startup restaurants (any startup really) we have the owners/investors put a hefty amount of their own money down and then we secure the loan against their house or other real estate. At least in Canada that's how the banks cover their ass
>>
>>7749530
Okay, now you have to say the four items.

Everything tastes like it's from a cafeteria/buffet except at a ridiculous markup. Fried catfish sandwich and a soup seem to be the thing I've settled on.
>>
>>7750514
But the food's shit. It's one of those conundrums like KFC, because both places' chicken is shit.
>>
>>7750488
Savage af senpai
>>
>>7749676
Did you enjoy your $20 plate of locally sourced microgreens and edible flowers with dots of fromage blanc?
>>
>>7750532
Do you have a link to the article? I couldn't find it.
>>
>>7750479
I work in tax at a CPA firm, and while I've never been involved in an IRS money laundering investigation, this seems like a really strange way to do it. Having to break out flour from all the other items that work their way into cost of goods sold would be an incredible pain in the ass.
>>
>>7751217
Deloitte?
>>
>>7749415
If you hate the word don't use it. You could have just said that you try a lot of different foods, but you want that faggot foodie label. Just be honest with yourself.
>>
>>7749254
last town I lived in (Newcastle NSW) had a pizza place that sold $200 'Pizzas'
cops were all on the take there though
>>
There's a "cursed" restaurant block near my house that's known for housing shitty restaurants even though it's in a great location (near big houses, nice condominiums, wealthy White area). Allow me to detail the stories of the 2 restaurants that were there for a horribly short amount of time.

1/2

>First one is a sports bar/barbecue type place called "Shoeless Joe's" (If you know of this place, you're a bro)
>I've been to branches of it in surrounding towns with pleasant experiences, so my expectations are fairly high
>Grab friends and go there
>Walk in, half the TV's aren't even working but whatever, it's a new place
>Bad night to have gone, some sportsball game was taking place and it was noisy as all Hell and packed like a sardine can
>Waitresses fucked up my order twice (though I'll attribute that to noise)
>Get burger, take a bite
>saharadesert.jpeg
>Burger was so dry it was like fucking powder
>Friend ordered a mojito with way too little rum and way too much simple syrup. I tried some and it was like drinking a melted slushie with far too much syrup
>Oh and the dumbasses forgot the mint, too
>Left with a bad taste in our mouths, figuratively and literally
>>
>>7749415
Foodie=/=fatass that eats everything
>>
>>7750050
>up there with being the only guest at my bully's birthday party

tell the story, did you have all the power in school after that?
>>
>>7748971
Dumb fucking Yankee detected
>>
>>7751233
National firm. Think closer to RSM's size.
>>
>>7748880
>go out to eat
>food sucks
>never leave house again
>>
It's not really a terrible restaurant but there's one place with a really shitty location that always seems to change hands every few years.

When I first saw it, it was a Pizza Hut. Then it was a rib place. Then it became an Indian restaurant. Then it became an Indian restaurant under a different name.
>>
>>7751411
money laundering
>>
>>7748880
>>All the food had retarded names like the "Big Dick Burger" and the "Pasta de Cum Saunce"
>>If you didn't ask for the the item you wanted exactly the wait staff would make you repeat it.
>They closed in about 6 months

This is what happens when you let juvenile autists run businesses.
>>
I like to think that my town is like a flyover town for restaurants because hardly anything stays around. I can think of 2 places like this. One was good the other was okay. The good place was a bit expensive but had great food and I knew the owner. She eventually closed up and moved across the river because of rent and has been pretty busy ever since. The second place I don't know what happened to them but I'll tell that story
>Place called "Lucy's" opens up in an old church (which was some kind of store beforehand, don't ask)
>Food was pretty decent and it was the only place in town that had ice cream that wasn't McDonalds
>One day dad, brother, and I go in there for lunch
>Have these giant fucking hot dogs they serve on sub rolls or something
>get one of those.
>Not long after getting it take a bite and hear a sickening cracking noise
>my jaw explodes in pain.
>Can't finish my lunch
>Jaw hurts for a few days
Can't remember if it was after this or another time, but I soon found out I had TMD which may have did that. The place was open for like a year before it moved out.
>>
>>7751417
>Going through Pizza Hut's extensive franchisee requirements just to launder money

I highly doubt it.
>>
>>7751443
>TMD
I think I have this, did you ever do anything about it or do you just live with it?
>>
>>7751423
It sounds like a lot of fun, just not the kind of place to take your family out to eat.
>>
When will Nandos just shut down already
>>
>>7751551

Is the gimmick good enough to attract more business than they're losing by alienating modest people and families with kids?

Unless they're charging high end restaurant prices for a bloody vagina fart DP dog with extra smegma sauce and their clientele are willing to pay for it or something
>>
>>7749154
WHAT'S GOOD IN WARREN HOMIE
FLINT SAYS YOO
>>
So I imagine a lot of these are laundering schemes. If it's cash only and shit, it's definitely a laundering scheme right?
>>
>>7748928
I would guess good restaurants spend more on fresh foods. Bad restaurants would freeze the fuck out of the ingredients
>>
>'juice bar' opens under my apartment
>$9 for a small juice
>closed within a month

serves you right faggots
>>
Indian places always end up closed in my town.
>>
>>7749777
>Taj-Mahal made out of pizza
>Italian clip art coloured brown
>Marga-Rita

The only way this could have been better, is if it was comic sans.
>>
File: bloody hell lads.gif (3 MB, 413x233) Image search: [Google]
bloody hell lads.gif
3 MB, 413x233
>>7751246

>forgot the mint
>in a mojito

There are no words.
>>
>>7750505
Yeah, this is the worst. De Dutch Pannekoek House suffered that fate here. Nice crepes with meat + eggs + hollandaise type shit. Now a mini Cora's-like breakfast chain.
>>
>>7751246
2/2

>Second one was a Tandoori place
>I'm not really much for Indian food but it was close so I figured "why the fuck not?"
>Two friends, my brother and I go there
>Walk in and it immediately reeks
>I thought racist stereotypes were wrong until now
>My friends don't seem to care as they're both baked off their asses and nothing will unhinge their desire for cheap, tasty food
>Sit down, the place was at least nicely decorated and had halfway decent drinks, so I have to give credit there
>At least 3 fucking children crying though
>The wait staff, holy fuck the wait staff
>Rudest cunts ever
>Eye rolls, mumbling in Hindi and probably shit talking us
>Food may as well have been charcoal
>They stared daggers at us when we asked to pay with cards (that's right, you're getting taxed, cocksuckers)
>A few hours after, my asshole converts to Islam and explodes

Thank God they're both gone
>>
>>7751177
>HAHA THIS NU MALE PROBABLY EATS HEALTHY FOOD

Flyovers are pathetic
>>
>>7751933
Imagine some very artificial way too sweet version of "lime" Kool-Aid served over ice.

It didn't by any means at all resemble the taste of a mojito. It was atrocious.
>>
>>7749040
There's a Thai place in NY called the sea whose Pad Thai in covered in a sauce that I can only describe as baby vomit and sugar. They put that sauce on everything, except their sushi, which is pretty good.
>>
>>7748971
>chick fil a

Boy thems're fighting words
>>
File: 1459712291711.jpg (42 KB, 492x492) Image search: [Google]
1459712291711.jpg
42 KB, 492x492
>>7751970
>my asshole converts to Islam and explodes
>>
>>7751933
not that guy but

imagine if a place served sundrop soda and jim beam as mojitos, margaritas, and involved those two in with house gin as long island ice tea.

welcome to Sanford NC.
>>
>>7752044

Say it isn't so.
>>
There used to be this comfy sub shop on the corner of my block back when I was a kid.
I had some fond memories of playing their arcade machine while waiting to pick up food with my brother.
Then they sold the place and several failed business later a mexican place opened up.
I've never seen a bad taqueria but they manage to fuck it up by covering every item in this orange oil, the meat they use is the lowest quality, their chips are always stale, and they pack everything with lettuce/tomato to skimp on the beans/meat
Yet somehow this is the type of place that's able to stay open there.
>>
>>7751977
Does your addled mind only work in memes?
>>
>>7751977
>going to a restaurant to eat healthy
>>
>>7752046
it gets worse, there were bars that got shut down by the NC ALE, that were serving moonshine mixed with FUCKING WYLERS FAKE ASS PIG DISGUSTING KNOCK OFF KOOL AIDE, in robeson county, and moonshine wixed with those cheapass food flavoring cinnamon as after shock for the women and jiggaboo lumbee indians there.

the fucked up thing was the straight shine was pretty decent, and they made it taste like satans grandmothers ball sweat.
>>
>pizza place opens near me
>Italian American owners build double vaulted wood oven
>bring in guys from Naples to make the pizza
>pizza is god tier for a few months
>everyone excited about it and place seems to be doing well
>suddenly pizza not so good
>guys from Naples went home
>Mexican guy making pizza now
>owners irritable, not very nice to customers
>mediocre, overpriced Italian American dishes added to menu as pizza quality continues to slide
>owners constantly pushing upsell and heavily marked up wine
>people stop going there because it's actually unpleasant, and the pizza isn't that great anymore
>owners openly talk trash about "people in this neighborhood"

On the night they closed the place was mysteriously broken into, and someone took a sledgehammer to the pizza oven and spray painted racial slurs against Jews on the walls. Turns out owners hadn't paid rent to their Jewish landlord for most of the year the place was in business.
>>
>>7751217
I think this guy was putting it into layman's terms or understanding, but he's not completely wrong. The IRS does track using benchmarks or industry standards or whatnot. If your cost of goods sold or supplies are not similar to other businesses, then the IRS can pick that up. I work at a small office that uses Lacerte tax software, and even the software offers the percentage of how far inside/outside you are from general standards (usually based on companies using the same NAICS code, not the "type of business" line where you can put practically whatever the fuck you want). You can go look up the Audit Technique Guides on the IRS website if you want to know more, too, but if something deviates wildly from the norm, it can get picked up "randomly" in processing and potentially subject to an audit later.
>>
>>7752096
>Not spraying the slurs on the oven

They fucked up
>>
>>7752359
kek. They weren't that clever. If they had been at all clever they would have kept the guys from Naples around, and the business might still be there today.
>>
>>7748880
Zorbas Kebabs.

Small kebab shop by the station, open for when the bars and clubs kicked out and sent people to night buses and trains.
The only place to get change to buy bus tickets from the machines, because nowhere else is open.
Buses don't give change, drivers don't handle cash.
Night buses don't even take money, just prepaid tickets from the machines.
Go there with a few friends. They get kebabs, I only get chips because I don't trust the big tube of meat that's been sitting there all evening rotating by the doorway, picking up diesel fumes.
Chips are soggy and limp. On the way home, people start hallucinating wildly from the kebabs. I end up getting the shits the next day from the chips.
Place is never seen again, but crops up as a hole in the wall a while later. Steady rotation of kebab joints there over the years since.
The building's an abandoned shopping mall, with the stereotypical awful shops there. A couple of banks, a betting shop, and a pawn shop chain. I think there was a payday loan place for a while, too.
The mall itself hasn't been demolished, and is now making good money for airsoft venues, zombie apocalypses, and the like.
>>
>germany
>have small pizza take out 1 min down my street
>shit sucks even for that kind of place
>closes down
>replaced by falafel/shawarma place
>operated by a 50+ cuban#
>lacking knowledge of german
>hand him tenner to pay to receive 5 back
>"no .. uhm ... cincos!"
>shuts down after only being sporadically open
>reopens as "steak house"
>the place is small enough to have hardly space for 5 waiting customers inside
>sporadically open

the money laundering was brought up multiple times in this thread. counting this i know couple dozen of shady places that most likely are a shit front for illegitimate businesses
>>
>>7752238
I'd actually looked through the IRS Audit Technique guide for bars and restaurants before I posted, haha. My point wasn't that the IRS doesn't use ratios, but that specifically breaking out flour would be a gigantic nuisance for everybody involved.
>>
>>7749777

holy shit this is cheap as hell.
>>
Anybody have that Pizza Anime restaurant in the Hispanic flea market?
>>
>>7752619

I wish. That threadcap was fucking gold, goddamn.
>>
File: tennessee.jpg (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tennessee.jpg
84 KB, 500x500
>tfw your favorite cafe closes because the owner comitted suicide

Best breakfast sandwiches ever. Word is he was in debt, but that doesn't make sense because he had just opened up two new locations and they were all packed with customers.
>>
>>7752420
Or even bother to learn how to make the fucking pizza from the guys they were paying to make the fucking pizza...

Could they not have been fucked to get the recipe for their own product while they had it at their fingertips?

People like this deserve to fail.
>>
A place opened up in my hometown called L and it was trying to be super high class hipster or something but I remember going and ordering a Philly cheese steak and they brought out a white plate with an ice cream scoop of shredded beef with no bread, no cheese, nothing. I called the manager over and told him that I ordered a Philly cheese steak and he told me that's what I had. I told him that's ridiculous and I guaranteed they would be closed before the end of the year and stood up and walked out. They didn't even make it 4 more months
>>
File: 1321830882315.png (17 KB, 374x208) Image search: [Google]
1321830882315.png
17 KB, 374x208
>an ice cream scoop of shredded beef with no bread, no cheese, nothing
>>
>>7752694
did they at least describe it on the menu as such or was it a "surprise, look how clever we are" thing.
>>
>>7752665
They were dumb lowlifes.The guy had to put the place in his mother's name so he could get a wine and beer license because he had a felony criminal record. I kinda think from the start their plan was to get people in the door with the pizza, then win them over with their mediocre Italian American cooking. (They thought it was great, and crowed about how they were using grandma's recipes). When people balked at the Italian American stuff and stopped going because the pizza wasn't up to the standards the owners just figured it was the people in the neighborhood turning on them because they were Italian American. No way it could have been because the food went downhill and they were rude to customers.

It was just plain dumb. You win over a bunch of customers by making great pizza, then get rid of the guys who made the great pizza. For what? So you can try to hawk red sauce pasta instead? I think they really couldn't taste the difference.
>>
File: The Powers That B Sharps.jpg (28 KB, 353x395) Image search: [Google]
The Powers That B Sharps.jpg
28 KB, 353x395
>>7748880
>some small store, can't rmember the name or what is was called
>great chips, burgers, milkshakes etc.
>everything is delicious there
>just one problem, he refuses to open the store pasts 2:00 PM
>asked him once, he claimed that "teenagers are gonna get out of school and start stealin' just about everything."
>wat
>store suffers because everyone is at work or school during it's open hours, the store literally fucking closes just as people are free to go there, sometimes I get the chance to go
>had a conversation with him once while he was cooking stuff, he was paranoid as fuck of people stealing shit
>swore up and down that if he extended the open hours teens would start stealing everything from salt shakers to the fucking TV in the corner
>hear from other people that the few people that have the time to go there got scared off by his bullshit
>hear one day that he threatened to kill a 16 year old that was trying to enter the place, threw a glass cup that hit him
>shit's on the local news, he gets sued and doesn't have money to keep the restaurant going and pay legal fees
>drive by the place, the sign's already been taken down
>2 days later
>apparently he fucking hung himself in his house

There's an Indian cafe there now. Local food business where I am is fucked though, a new fish and chip shop opened here recently and people that were there on the opening day say that the owner of another shop came over there and threatened him in some way.
>>
File: 1458521076670.png (505 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1458521076670.png
505 KB, 600x400
>Try local jamaican place
>Woman at counter finishes phone conversation for five minutes before acknowledging me
>Ask for ten wings
>She picks ten wings out of an uncovered oven dish
>Microwaves them for three minutes, puts them in a brown paper bag and hands them to me
>Two weeks late local newspaper publishes food hygiene scores of all restaurants in the borough
>Jamaican place gets 0/5
>>
>>7752775
Good lord.
>>
>>7752096
How can you even make bad pizza with that kind of oven?
You can literally cook anything in there and it will taste godly.
>>
>Old, well established, english pub-style bar with delicious, decently priced food
>It's the default choice for me and my friends whenever we just want to meet up and chew the fat
>Place is comfy as all fuck, the owner and us know each oher by the first name and get along well

Cut to this year

>Owner of a local, successful pizzeria, after years of annoying the owner, manages to buy the place (rumor has it that it was sold for a few cool millions)
>Closes it up, announcing renovations for a new, better bar
>After three months, all they did was apply a new hand of varnish on the wooden surfaces, change the tiling on the bathrooms and build a "VIP Room" that can barely hold a dozen people when the furniture is in
>They didn't even clean the dust on the lamps right, for fuck's sake
>Relaunch occurs
>Food is now barely seasoned, greasy and more expensive than ever
>The service is utter shit, and the cooks can't even get a serving of fries right

RIP old friend, you shall be missed.
>>
>>7752849
Only places here I go to are the chains (McD, Hungry Jacks etc.) and one local restaurant. There's three fish and chip places with tiny servings and one (1) fucking local place I actually trust, which has god tier bacon and egg burgers and chips.
>>
>>7748971
This is correct
>>
>>7749050
My city has two, one of them just a mile from my house.

The one near my house has been, since its construction 10 years ago until today:
>Fast food joint
>Pizzeria
>Hipster bar
>Pizzeria
>Cake shop
>Generic chinese restaurant
>Shitty pizzeria

The other one, downtown, has been alternating for nearly 30 years between iterations of:
>Cheap-as-fuck self-serve restaurant for blue collar workers/students
>Sandwich shop
>Ice cream parlour
>Storage facility for the neighbouring baptist church
>>
>>7750532
True story or not, reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC2M-n6NxzI
>>
>>7752890
So the other owner is a millionaire now?
>>
>>7753098
The original owner? I'm nearly sure; the building is huge and very well located (halfway between downtown and a white, high middle class area), so the real estate value, alone, would be quite high. Besides, there's the original bar's rep/fame for the new one to ride on until people notice that it's gone to shit.

I bumped into him about a fortnight ago, and seems he's planning on opening another bar/restaurant, if he manages to regroup his original crew.
>>
>>7752729
I've a number of friends who are business owners. One owns a bakery/café. She and I discuss this sort of thing all the time.
When she first opened, she had this idea that it would be bakery/café in the morning until dinner time, then the lights turn down low, the white tablecloths come out and table service with waitstaff in whites and ties started.
Her day stuff was hugely popular. The after 6 menu, however, wasn't met quite as fondly. See, the day menu had well-understood bakery/café/diner favourites with minor, interesting twists. The evening menu was based on the cooking of a very specific region along the French/Italian border, as yet still fairly unknown to people outside of the area. Still, the food was very good, but alienating to people who aren't familiar with what people in Aosta and Rhône-Alpes eat.
After a couple of weeks of the evening menu and table service, she scrapped that idea entirely, shortened business hours to 8pm rather than the original 10 and kept the day menu until closing.
See, as much as she wants to introduce people to Aostan cuisine, it just wasn't selling and, since people are in business to earn money, she decided "fuck that noise" and changed direction. She's been in business seven years now and recently expanded the place, which is doing better than ever.
I'm sure it sucks that she's not able to run her dream restaurant, but I'm doubly sure that destitution would suck more.
>>
>>7753140
>Opens another bar that competes strongly with his original bar.

That would be awesome.
>>
>>7749108
nigga good Waffle house is on par with any served food anywhere including Michelin bitches

>bad WH is Doom-level nightmare fuel
>>
>>7748971

The only one on this list I have eaten at is The Cheesecake Factory and I puked on the way home.

I don't understand how people can eat this shit.
>>
>>7749154
think every town has "that" resteraunt whcih has changed hands like a billion time

I know of a handful in mine

one specifically has been;
an olive garden
a 50s diner
a bagel shop
a sports bar
a Licks burgers
another bar
a hot tub and pool supplies store
some generic pan-asian restaurant

now its an all day breakfast but I never see any cars outside so its probably next to go
>>
>Italian restaurant name Pizano's opens in town
>Never have any advertising, never even look open
>Close down after, I shit you not, ONE WEEK

Why the fuck even bother?
>>
>>7751844
Or they are trying to avoid paying tax
>>
>>7753649
>never even look open

I don't understand why businesses do this. One of the most basic ways to get customers is to actually look open, and some businesses have trouble doing so much as that.
>>
>Minnesota
>Bodunk hole in the wall diner.
>Go there with mom for some quick food
>50s style diner. Unfinished renovation.
>Blue carpet with possible liquid stains near the small bar in the middle
>Manage to get a table with mom
>She gets worried about the jukebox that's near my seat. And we agree to not eat anything with meat.
>Order two cokes, a salad and a grilled cheese sandwich with chips
>Wait takes a while
>Notice some guy sitting like he's riding a horse on a bar stool
>Service was alright. Waitress comes out with our drinks. Then he comes out with the food.
>Wait warmly for mom as she talks to the same waitress.
>Look at the counter
>Fat guy is wobbling in his seat

I dunno what happened to that place. But it was closed down and replaced with some high class bar place.

I liked the classy bar place because the outside looked like a concave ass muscle.
>>
There was one steak house in the next town over that was next door to the grocery store. I guess I was never ate there since it turned out they were getting as many of the steaks that they could out of unsold steaks thrown into the dumpster by the grocery store.
>>
>>7753683

When I was in college, there was an Italian restaurant across the street from the campus that rarely had more than two or three cars in the parking lot. Yet, it stayed open for years. Even football game days there might be only three or four cars in the parking lot.

One general rumor among the students was that it was kept open by the mafia as a neutral meeting place for the bigwigs.

Later, I mentioned it to an Italian girl who grew up in the town. She was offended by the rumor. She said that it was a very good home-style Italian restaurant popular with the local Italian community.
>>
>>7753168
In this case they attracted the crowds by selling something European, then hoped they could keep it going with the kind of Italian American that is dying out here, except in a few old school neighborhoods.

I understand you can't educate your customers if you don't please them first. And a bait and switch rarely works. But in my case they were turning out the good stuff, then fell back on the mediocre out of habit. They weren't overreaching for their customer base, they just assumed no one could tell the difference between the great they started with and the mediocre they ended up with. And they were resentful about it.

That's a little different from overestimating your target market.
>>
File: flav2.jpg (99 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
flav2.jpg
99 KB, 600x399
Flav's Fried Chicken - the fried chicken restaurant owned by Flava Flav.

It didn't even make it six months. I wish I'd gone to it, it opened in Clinton Iowa of all places, about an hour away from my house.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flav's_Fried_Chicken
>>
>>7749777
>Britain's best Indian pizza shop

Everything about that sentence makes me want to fucking vomit.
>>
A Vietnamese place called Pho King Way opened down the street from my house.

>$3 more expensive than the legit pho 15 min drive from my house
>no flavor
>oily as shit
>beef had a strange taste to it

It closed down in less than a year.
>>
>>7751417
Fuck off inbred rebel faggot just secede already.
>>
>>7752694
Flyover detected
>>
>>7748971
There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating waffle house
>>
>>7752775
People with obvious mental illnesses should not try to open businesses.
>>
>>7748971
I won't disagree since your point is right, but Red Lobster is not a white trash restaurant. It IS shit, make no mistake, but when I was a kid it was always viewed as the upper class place to go because lobsters were expensive. My mom would only take me there once a year for my birthday since it was such a rare treat to have "fine dining" like that.
>>
First place that came to mind was just because of the location.

its along the highway in the middle of nowhere. the highway is bypassed by most people going to most towns because there's a more efficient highway to pick from. Theres also a gas station just 5 minutes away. Why pick a random coffee shop that charges double what a gas station right down the road charges.

I feel like a dumb ass because i asked them how they manage with their location and said most people have to close down because its a hard place to do business and the lady got all defensive, they closed that same year.

Their wraps were great, but they charged me like 6 bucks for a small ice cream cone. I think it was the same ice cream you can get from the bulk store for like a 1.50 a litter.
>>
>>7750015
>you're not the brightest knife in the drawer
>>
There are a few Americanized Chinese places around where I live that I usually get takeout when I'm feeling lazy but there is one I haven't tried before. There always seems to be quite a few cars in the parking lot so I figured why the hell not. Atmosphere isn't that bad so I order sesame chicken, lo mein, and crab rangoon. The lo mein was mush, the sesame chicken was sour and tasted like pure sugar, and the sauce smothered everything on the plate. After two bites I couldn't eat anymore. Takes the waitress 10 minutes to realize I didn't eat anything. I ask if she could take it off my bill because it tasted like shit but she said there was nothing she could do.
The place is called Noodle's and Company but I guess it has nothing to do with the restaurant chain. Go home and look up reviews and most of them are one or two stars. How it is still open is beyond me. There are better chinese restaurants across the river.
>>
>>7753963
I'm convinced Americans just don't understand what flavor is when it's not straight up American food. In my town there's plenty of great Chinese places to order at, and everyone just lines up for the bland garbage that is Panda Express.
>>
>>7753990
Maybe Panda Express is cheaper.
>>
>>7753999
By like a couple dollars around here. Not enough to have the real restaurants be quiet and PE to be packed to the gills. It's extended to a lot of foods here, I just used Chinese as an example since that's what the guy I responded to was talking about.
>>
>>7749287
yfw alinea has a crying baby
real life.
>>
ok, so here's the thing. The reason these horrible shit tier places exist is because cooks aren't really paid enough for the skill it takes to produce large quantities of very high quality food. So cooking ability != capital, since the best cooks aren't easily able to obtain the funding (often 600k+) to open a top notch restaurant, that's not who is opening them.

Investors and owners are honestly the scum of the earth because they don't know shit about anything except money is good. When you try to create true art it doesn't work out very well when the first concern is the bottom line.
>>
>>7753999
Nah senpai, not compared to a lunch special at a takeout place
>>
>>7753776
Fucking way?
>>
>>7754157

way
>>
File: delish.jpg (7 KB, 300x204) Image search: [Google]
delish.jpg
7 KB, 300x204
>>7750015
>keeping knives in a drawer
>>
>>7753649
There was a "steakhouse" that did pretty much the same and was only open or a week
Had a reason the not stay open though because the steak was bland as fuck.
It had good fries though
>>
>>7750505
We have a place like that around here called Pasta Villa, the owners have kept it in the family but each time it switches hands for one reason or another the quality deteriorates.
>>
>>7753649
Sometimes new business owners underestimate the funds required, go bankrupt just setting the place up, and have no chance to actually operate.
>>
>BBQ restaurant opens a block from my apartment
>replaced a shitty nightclub called "The Hive"
>nice location, outside patio with nice garage style doors to the bar, and right next to a massive sports bar
>try it out one day and their menu is minimum 10 dollar items for a brat, 15 for a burger/pulled pork sandwich
>22 dollar ribs, 30 dollar samplers etc
>order a BBQ bratwurst for like 13 dollars
>it's covered in BBQ sauce and some onion, bun is soaked: not too bad, a bit spicy but really sweet
>have to eat it with a fork and knife
>no one is behind the bar, I'm the only one there
>two of the waiters are chatting it up, service is shit, couldn't even get a beer
>walked by the place a few times: like 4 people max
>a couple months later the bar next to it buys it out and renovates it to extend theirs
>can't go to that bar now because it's TOO fucking big with shitty popped-collar types

I never was a fan of BBQ, it's always too expensive for what it's worth
>>
>>7753829
?
>>
>>7753990
They line up for the bland garbage because it's reliable, like McDonald's. There is regional variation in McDonald's in different countries, but if you've been to one somewhere, then you pretty much know what to expect when you walk into one anywhere, at any time; that's by design.
>>
File: dhhhh.jpg (338 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
dhhhh.jpg
338 KB, 2048x1152
>>7754275
>replaced a shitty nightclub called "The Hive"

Do you happen to live in Hengsha?
>>
>>7748933
>af
that's how everyone knows you're a douche
>>
>>7754278
you shouldn't open a business because you're obviously retarded
>>
>>7754275
Sounds like they priced everything to make you go for the $30 sampler.
>>
File: sheen.png (915 KB, 708x893) Image search: [Google]
sheen.png
915 KB, 708x893
>>7749190
10/10
>>
>>7753844
I guess you were white trash.
>>
>>7754063
> create true art

Euw, stop pretending cooking is an art
>>
>>7753168
yes, nobody has heard of fontina cheese or carbonada at all, quite a rare cuisine indeed
>>
>>7753815
Huddle House is sooo much better than Waffle House.
>>
>>7748971
I miss when Red Lobster had fucking garbage on the walls like a picture of someone's grandad, a bicycle wheel, fishing nets, or plastic lobsters. It was a lot cheaper then.
>>
>>7754597
Are you thinking of Joe's Crab Shack?
>>
>>7751044
Biscuits, cornbread, dumplings, mashed potatoes. There may be a few more, but hyperbole ftw.
>>
>>7748946

its pretty hard to fuck up bacon, eggs and pancakes

ive never ordered anything but breakfast food at one
>>
>>7749183

everyone diddles the servers at sports bars

t. guy who worked in sports bars
>>
>>7754490
False, HH is dog shit compared to WH
>>
>>7754894
There is something worse than Waffle House?
>>
>>7748971
Fuck you
WH and CFA are great
Source: I live in Georgia but have traveled, good food is good, no matter the price or "exclusiveness"
>>
>>7754475
Nigga, it literally is. Not all cooking, but my degree says "Culinary Arts".
>>
>>7748946
Its just p decent breakfast and comfort food, hard to fuck up and lots of people like it
>>
>>7754894

IHOP is better, marginally more expensive and less nigger infested
>>
>>7752619
>Anime Pizza

That's in San Antonio, right? Might check it out.

Otherwise:
>Restuarant by my school
>Tiny rat shack that changes themes three times in four years
>First a 'snack place', obscenely colored and looks like a kindergarten
>Then a lobster shack, we don't live anywhere near the coast
>Then a Mixto place
>Mixto place is closing and turning into something else
We don't really have Cubans around here. Laundering, I guess?
>>
>>7754920
>less nigger infested
lol no, and Ihop isnt 24/7/365
>>7754899
Yes, theres plenty worse
WH is p good for how cheap and decent the food is
>>
>>7754974
IHOP and Denny's are instant nopes for me, so there's no way I'd ever set foot in a WH again. Just can't handle that kind of cheap, greasy shit.
>>
>>7754988

>go to waffle house
>$10 for shitty food cooked by some dirty felon in a filthy open kitchen
>buy meth from a trucker in the parking lot
>get robbed by niggers
>can't even afford the cheap prostitutes proposition now
>>
>>7755010
>10
8 maybe
>shitty
no, but opinions
>filthy
theyre usually p clean
>robbed
with all the cops that eat there?
>>
>>7748971
>Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
You shut your whore mouth.
>>
>>7755054
Trash detected. Bet you eat Kraft Dinner, too.
>>
>>7754894
Well I've been lucky as our HHs where I was were actually all white. Mind you I haven't seen one in years but I miss the one back in Franklin NC.
>>
>>7755085
yeah, they might get better that far north
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.