[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to Knead Dough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: kneading-dough[1].jpg (160 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
kneading-dough[1].jpg
160 KB, 425x282
Hey guys. I've tried making dough about 20 times, either for bread or for a pizza. The thing is every time I make it, I get the exact same problem.

When I try kneading my dough, the dough quickly absorbs the flour I put down on the surface and becomes sticky. The more I knead it, the stickier it gets. I have to keep placing more flour down about once or twice per minute, otherwise it sticks to my hands and the surface and it's impossible to work with.

I've looked at videos and this clearly isn't meant to happen. Their dough doesn't become sticky, it just becomes smoother. They only need one or two sprinkles of flour for the whole kneading process. Another problem is that no matter how long I knead, I never get proper gluten development. I've tried kneading for half an hour, it still doesn't work.

My first instinct was that I'm not using enough flour. But I'm measuring my ingredients by weight, I've tried about 10 different recipes, I've tried all-purpose flour and 2 different brands of strong bread flour. I've tried different methods of kneading like pressing down with my knuckles, pulling it apart, and rolling it around the surface with pressure.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of buying a breadmaker. Any help would be appreciated
>>
Use olive oil on the board or you'll get a dry dough and just keep going
Maybe try a different recipe but you just have to keep going, just throw it around smack it, anything works
>>
>>7748768
You don't KNEAD to KNEAD dough.
JEWbook.com/sweetpaulmagazine/videos/10153655825333033/
>>
>>7748768
I think you're adding too much water to the dough. It's been ages since I made bread, but I remember that stickiness = too much water.

I should try baking my own bread again sometime.
>>
>>7748768
You can't always just rely on the weight of ingredients when making bread. The water content of the flour can change and affect the dough, as can the temperature and humidity in your kitchen. You really just need to feel it out. If it's too sticky, add more flour a little bit at a time until it's the consistency you're looking for. Too dry, add more water.

I usually mix and knead my bread in a mixer, adding all of the liquid and most of the flour that the recipe calls for then slowly adding more flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl and isn't super sticky anymore.
>>
>>7748768
Don't add flour to your work surface to keep dough from sticking. The additional flour is changing your recipe and making your end product tougher. Just embrace the fact that the dough will be sticky and your hands will get covered in it. Just keep kneading, keep going. Eventually the dough's consistency will improve, but it may take longer than you think it will.
>>
File: yakitate1.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
yakitate1.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
Don't bother if you don't have solar hands or _at least_ solar gauntlets

Get someone who does to knead it for you or it'll never produce a competitive bread
>>
>>7748768
Two things that I can think of OP, as previous anons mentioned. You are either hyperhydrating your dough or there is a problem with your flour.

What hydration are you working with? A 60-70% should be easy enough to work with but anything above becomes much harder to work by hand. Also I would recommed white strong bread flour. Whole meal (or other flours desu) tend to result in a very sticky, hard to work with dough. Even strong bread white flour can fail you if it is old/not good quality/improperly stored and its gluten has lost integrity.
>>
>>7748768
Maybe you could try adding salt?
Image too big to attach:
http://imgur.com/eF9L9VP
>>
>>7748768
Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dUZ0O-Wv0Q

You shouldn't be using any flour during kneading. Just use good technique and accept that it's always going to stick to some extent. A dough scraper is also a must have for anyone kneading by hand as it allows you to scrape the bits stuck to the table back into your dough. Have a brush nearby to clean the dried dough from your hands with after you're done.
>>
do you have a scraper to gather the dough off the counter? Get one of those. And keep adding flour.
>>
>>7750558
this is the exact video that taught me to handle sticky doughs too
>>
Kneading is sticky, that's just the way it is. If videos aren't showing that they're only filming the end of the process. Look at what a bread maker does, it's nothing magical. it just shoves the dough around.

You're shearing the dough until the gluten in it extends to form more continuous sheets that adhere to eachother and hold more water. When you add more flour you temporarily create a barrier between the dough and your hands, but as soon as you mix it in it's just fresh flour that now needs to be kneaded from scratch, and you end up pissing about for half an hour with no progress.

Power through and embrace the skin of dough that forms on your hands.
>>
>>7750500
Thank you kindly
>>
>>7748768
ny times, bitmans no knead
thank me later
>>
>>7752202
I've made this several times. It took a couple tries to get it to my liking, but it's really good.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.