[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mailing Homemade Pasta
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: o-HOMEMADE-PASTA-RECIPE.jpg (286 KB, 1536x1019) Image search: [Google]
o-HOMEMADE-PASTA-RECIPE.jpg
286 KB, 1536x1019
Hey everyone. So I like to make my own pasta from scratch, and I want to make some and send it to a family friend who lives a few states away. (Probably just cut it as spaghetti)
Does anyone have any idea how I might do this?

I was thinking about cutting it and letting it dry on cookie sheets in my oven (not on) overnight until they were dry and then just packaging. (BTW I've never let homemade pasta dry before, anyone have any tips or ideas??)
I do have a vacuum sealer though. And would letting my homemade pasta dry effect how good it tastes (I already know it won't taste as good as if I just dropped it in the pot after making) but the use of eggs in the dough, I'm worried about salmonella.
Should I coat the bag with a bit of flour before putting them in?
>>
if it's dry, why?
>>
A food for thought; how do supermarkets package their freshmade pastas? Also, you could just get a plastic tuber ware and place it in there then ship it. It'll make sure air doesn't get in and I feel like that'll be your best bet
>>
vacuum sealed?
>>
Just refrigerate it for a few days
>>
>>7748586
Can you post how you make your pasta?
>>
>>7748598
I'm just asking for info. I assume if I dry it there should be no problem.
>>7748626
I have a vacuum sealer, but wouldn't I have to include a cold pack when I mail it? I use eggs.
>>7748639
Would I be better off freezing it?
>>7748648
I use
1lb AP flour
4 eggsand 1 yolk
about 1/4 cup EVOO
Salt
Water as needed

I use my big food processor and mix until it forms a big clump and moves around, then I remove it and knead for about 10 mins. Then i cover and let rest for idk 30 mins? Then roll through my hand machine and cut to what I want.
>>
>>7748614
Freshmade pasta is usually held in the refrigerated section. Dry pasta is just in a box. IDK man. I'm learning as are you.
>>
>>7748673
Sweet thanks.
>>
>>7748699
I assume you're the guy who asked how I make my pasta?

No problem man. I really like it. And if you use the processor like I do, if it looks like couscous add some more water. Start with about 2 TBSP of water at the beginning and then fill a shot glass with water and slowly add more from the top. It will eventually clump together and almost look like a tornado with the dough spinning around the machine.

No-one taught me how to make pasta dough so I'm, just passing off my personal experience. Good luck.
>>
>>7748586

I have mailed my homemade pasta to friends before. The best thing to do is buy one of those tubes that people normally put A@ and A! size paper plans in all rolled up.

Get a roll of cling wrap and wrap up a giant tube of pasta that will fit snugly into the mailing tube. Then pay your postage for it's weight and you send it off.

Don't worry about drying it or naything, just wrap it up straight after cooking it and it will have the heat trapped in there for a few days while it is delivered.

My Aunty said it turned up fine and was delicious.
>>
>>7748731
So you cooked it before hand????

Did you par-boil it? Or did you fully cook it? If you fully cooked it how did it not stick?

My dad is a copier technician so he can mayyyyybe procure these rolls you spoke of. Although they are hard to come by, paper comes in reams and tubes are rarer by the day because of digital platforming.

I was hoping I could mail them raw and dried to them.

Thank you for your input though! I never though of those tubes as viable shipping means.
>>
>>7748759

They aren't hard to come by where I am from you should just be able to purchase them at the post office.

Drain out the water, give them a rinse then pour some olive oil over it before mixing it through to prevent sticking.
>>
>>7748784
I figured you used OO to prevent the sticking. Thanks again for commenting.

I'm still looking for what might be a viable way to send "raw" pasta to her though.

Although, your idea makes a good amount of sense. It only takes about 4 minutes for fresh pasta to cook. Would boiling it for like 2 or so (until the flour floats off) work? Then cool it and wrap it?

That way she could dunk it in boiling water for a minute or so and then mix with her sauce?

I've never sent my homemade pasta before, I thought this would be a nice gift so I apologize for all the questions.
>>
Fill a couple sandwich bags with water, freeze them and pack the pasta in a disposable cooler. That's how the doctor used to ship my dad's temperature sensitive medicine. They'd use proper ice packs though.
>>
Would that work? ?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.