[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do I never see smoked lamb anywhere?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Why do I never see smoked lamb anywhere?
>>
>>7748259
Lamb was traditionally slaughtered in the Spring. Smoked storehouse meats were usually made out of pigs, which were slaughtered in the Fall. You ate smoked pig to get you through the winter, and celebrated getting through by eating fresh lamb in the Spring.

Or that's how I always figured it.
>>
>>7748259
I'm French and my grandfather used to make smoked lamb leg in a brick woodfire oven (that we also used for homemade pizzas).

Maybe lamb is more expensive in the US than the usual beef/pork hence why you don't see it around in bbqs?
>>
It's a bit too fatty and gamey to smoke, and also for the same reasons >>7748268 pointed out - lambing season is in spring, and the traditional dishes that require lam do not ask for smoked.
>>
>>7748286
Gaminess wouldn't be a reason for lamb not being traditionally smoked, but I figured that it being so fatty and also what >>7748268 pointed out.

I'd like to try smoked lamb one day. It's simply too expensive where I live (and me too poor) to experiment with smoking it. Soon though.
>>
Smoked lamb sausages are somewhat common in the next country over, but smoking direct cuts of lamb isn't very typical in EU to my knowledge at all. I think they use either alder or beech, but not sure. I can look it up, if you're interested.

However, I once went to Bowling Green, Kentucky for a wedding for some friends I met at Vanderbilt and tried barbecued/smoked mutton during my stay. When I showed my surprise that they were barbecuing mutton, I was told that it's a pretty common barbecued/smoked meat in the area, moreso than beef.

I then realised I'd never had barbecued beef in my life, only pork and chicken. Go figure.
>>
>>7748268
Good to know leafs are shitposters outside of /pol/ and /int/
>>
>>7748442
What's a leaf? Is that a /pol/ and /int/ term for Canadians?
>>
>>7748259
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uDEiCCkCvc

Is this similar?
>>
>>7748461
yup. Because we're the most intelligent and articulate, and there's no real good memes to insult us. We take it with silent dignity and regard the LEAF brand a sign of respect, like a slight nod for our humbleness.

Also, we're "autistic" compared to the average American.
>>
>>7748442
Sorry dude, that post came from Brooklyn.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.