[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leg of Lamb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: lamb.png (148 KB, 2000x1512) Image search: [Google]
lamb.png
148 KB, 2000x1512
Hey /ck/, I've never cooked lamb before and I want to try. Do you have any good recipes?
>>
Do you have a whole leg or the shanks?
>>
>>7748075
Right now I don't have anything.
>>
File: lambshank.jpg (538 KB, 1000x3469) Image search: [Google]
lambshank.jpg
538 KB, 1000x3469
>>7748079
For shanks I tend to do pic related.

For a whole leg I have a recipe somewhere with herbs (greek inspired) or with cumin (more middle-eastern) if you want them?
>>
>>7748120
Sure I'll take them anon. The recipe you posted looks pretty good and hard to fuck up. I'll probably do that for my first time cooking lamb.
>>
>>7748134
It's very easy.

I'm looking for the cumin one (misplaced it) but here's the herb one. Recipe calls for shoulder, but leg would work.

Ingredients

1 lamb shoulder and neck 7 lbs (3 kg)
2 Tbsp fine sea salt
⅓ cup olive oil
4 Tbsp Mediterranean herbs or Provençal herbs for lamb
Method

Rub meat with salt and set aside in a cool place for 2 to 3 hours
Preheat oven to 275°F.
Pour oil over lamb and rub herbs evenly before placing on a baking sheet.
Roast for 4 hours, basting meat with its jus every hour.
Remove from oven and let rest in a place that is draft-free for 30 minutes before serving.
>>
shit man, i just did a butterflied leg that i marinated in Italian salad dressing for an hour or so, then roasted at 375 for a while

couldn't have been easier
>>
OP here, I ended up buying a rack of lamb ribs that were on sale. I created a sort of marinade similar to the one described in >>7748120 this post. I marinaded the ribs in this and put it in the oven at 300 for 2 hours and then at 425 for another 20 minutes. I ate a baked potato with it.

Man guys, that was delicious. I had no idea how succulent lamb ribs were. They were falling off the bone tender but still cooked all the way through. What a tasty animal.
>>
>>7750865
Glad you enjoyed it OP. Can't really go wrong with garlic and rosemary for lamb :-) Found my cumin recipe, will type it up and post it for you if you still want it.
>>
>>7750912
Posting anyways, should anyone else be interested.

2.25 kg (5 lb) leg of lamb
70g (2 1/2 oz) butter, room temperature
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 tea spoon ground coriander
1 tea spoon paprika
1 1/2 table spoon ground cumin
1 1/2 table spoon coarse salt

1. Pre-heat the oven to 425F (220C). With a small sharp knife, cut small deep slits in the top and sides of the lamb.

2. Mix the butter, garli, paprika, 2 teaspoon (or more to taste) of cumin and 1/4 tea spoon salt. With the bac of a spoon, rub the paste all over the lamb, then use your fingers to spread the paste evenly (make sure all the meat is covered)

3. Put the lamb bone side down in the deep baking dish and place on the top shelf of the oven. Bake for 10 minutes then baste the lamb. Lower the temerature to 315F (160C). Bake for 3 1/4 hour, basting every 20-30 minutes.

4. Carve into chunky pieces. Mix the remaining cumin and salt and serve on the side, for dipping.
>>
>>7748013
Go with a roast leg of lamb.
>Lamb leg
Make slits into the meat with a paring knife and insert whole peeled garlic cloves into them. Put a few sprigs of rosemary ontop of the lamb and drizzle with olive oil.

Cook for specified time and rest the leg, covered, in a warm place for 30-45minutes.

>Gravy
While the leg is resting place the roasting tray back on the hob and with a wooden spoon scrape off the bits of meaty goodness stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add in about 1 tbsp of tomato puree and cook it out. If you want a more floral and fruity gravy add a small glass worth of red wine (approx 175ml) and reduce, if not add a dash of water once the puree has been cooked out.

Next add the flour, a heaped tbsp should do the trick. Keep stirring it and cook the flour trhough a bit, next add some more water and if you have any bits of rosemary or anything you don't want in the gravy press the gravy through a seive into another pot. Add gravy browning if you want to darken the colour.

>Roast potatoes
Put your ovenproof dish with oil into the oven. Boil potatoes for 5-10 mins, drain and place the lid on the pot. Shake the pan to fluff the edges (increased surface area = more crunchy roasties). Leave uncovered for a few minutes to reduce the water content left over from boiling. place into oil season with salt + pepper. Turn every 20-25 minutes.

Serve with steamed vegetables.
>>
>>7751597
Forgot to add, with the gravy you'll not make that much by just using that method. Maybe 300ml. If you want more you'll have to top up with water and gravy granules.
>>
File: Cordero_al_asador.jpg (345 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
Cordero_al_asador.jpg
345 KB, 960x1280
like this
>>
>>7748013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP1HWvCvhWY
>>
>>7748013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p7BT6-X-yg
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.