[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the lowest part of your life in regards to food? >stealing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: 1464779960100.gif (2 MB, 718x302) Image search: [Google]
1464779960100.gif
2 MB, 718x302
What was the lowest part of your life in regards to food?

>stealing creamers from fast food places to use as milk
>>
Ketchup sandwiches or ketchup on crackers when I was a kid. We were extremely poor for a couple years.
>>
>>7736077
What caused this?
>>
>>7736076
Continuously refilled black beans in a slowcooker, obviously rotting cooked rice fried into heavily spiced eggs fritters, chicken that's going bad soaked in brine and shoaxing wine

There was probably a lot of worse things but I blocked out most of it because poverty is traumatizing for chronically homeless people like myself.
>>
>>7736080
Dad had fast food jobs, and a drug habit. Wrote a lot of hot checks and stole food and necessities for us and got caught, so went to jail for a few years. Mom didn't have a job at the time because he was a control freak, but she started working her way up using her nursing degree once he got sent away.
>>
>>7736092
Glad it turned out ok.
Men are bastards.
>>
>>7736076
ketchup on pasta.
>>
Eating nothing but rice and butter for a day because no money.

It's not as bad as you'd expect but still terrible.
>>
Hiding food from my old roommates by putting left overs in plastic sandwich bags and putting them behind the frozen fruit they'd never eat so they don't eat everything because they were fat fucks.
>>
File: old-man-face.jpg (235 KB, 964x1457) Image search: [Google]
old-man-face.jpg
235 KB, 964x1457
>>7736076
>find key to parents house in junk drawer
>walk up to the house when they should be at work
>stepdad sees me before I can turn away
>ehh sorry man I just wanted to make a couple sandwiches.. blew all my money gambling
>np man help yourself

Wish I wasnt such an alcoholic, gambling addict. Still manage to pay bills but sometimes I'll just blow $400 in one day.
>>
File: image.gif (257 KB, 300x208) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
257 KB, 300x208
>>7736076
Literally never been poor enough to contribute to this. I'm about to get divorced and I have small pension and no house so should have a great answer soon
>>
>>7736208
what a loser

dont wish you werent, just dont be. get help. decide that youre going to deal with feeling uncomfortable for a bit and find a hobby to occupy you until your withdrawals go away.
>>
>>7736247
Thanks I guess?
Its not like I dont tell myself this once or twice a month.
>>
Buttered bread and tomato sauce
Tomato and mayo sandwiches
Whole avocado

Basically all I ate when I was very broke. I don't understand why people willingly eat like this.
>>
>>7736248
so am i supposed to feel bad for you thinking it and not doing anything? normal people motivate themselves to fix their lives. why even mention it publicly if you don't want people to comment on it.
>>
File: kd cube.jpg (147 KB, 635x642) Image search: [Google]
kd cube.jpg
147 KB, 635x642
>be me
>be 13
>be dirt poor
>no dinner again tonight anon
>family in bed by 7pm
It's easier to ignore the hunger pangs when you're asleep.
>>
I just moved out recently

I taken to marinating pork in soy spices sriracha and dipping plain spaghetti in the drippings after it bakes.

Honestly , I've eaten worse tasting pasta.
>>
>>7736194
That's not really your low, shame on them
>>
File: 1378837803_1332140514472.png (121 KB, 458x304) Image search: [Google]
1378837803_1332140514472.png
121 KB, 458x304
>>7736271
ty
>>
>>7736267
Don't you have some shit memes to force?
>>
>>7736076
GIF fags need to die
>>
>>7736076
I spent the last six months eating peanut butter sandwiches and popcorn, and maybe the occasional bowl of rice.

The shit of it is, I wasn't even "poor" I was living with my mother and stepfather while I saved up money for an apartment. But while my mom said I didn't have to buy food while I there, my stepfather had real issues with me leaving my room/occupying the general living space, or eating any of their "good" foods, like juice, cheese, fresh veggies, or even doing any cooking.

It was 6 months of hell. I'm glad I'm free.
>tfw I gained 30lbs from all those carbs tho
>>
>>7737137
If you were saving money, didn't you have a job?

Shirley you could have paid for a little other food if your senpai was so uptight about you using theirs
>>
>>7736103
they are though.
>>
>>7736076
I was a raging drunk for a few years and at one point I started going to the food pantry to get food because I was spending the rest of my disposable income on rent and booze

I stopped that shit but looking back it makes me feel pretty bad. my city has a big poverty problem
>>
File: 1414644155997.jpg (80 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
1414644155997.jpg
80 KB, 700x714
>>7736259
>>7736247
pls do not be rude
>>
>>7736076
That gif is so depressing
I've eaten a few ready made dinners in my time. But I've never stared at them through the window
>>
>>7736076
During the height of the recession, I had to quit school and move back in with mom and dad
Dad's business went under and mom lost her job
We were struggling really bad for 3 or so years.
5 times a week, we'd get a single $5 Hot n Ready pizza from Little Cesears and shared it among us.
My parents were caring enough to let me have the larger share
Sometimes that was all the food we'd have for the day.
If any of us had the day off, we'd go to the grocery store, buy what ever was on sale and figure out how to cook dinner
After the recession died down, dad re-opened his business and we've managed to make a decent living.
Not as good as pre-recession days, but we live without worries and can afford to plan our grocery lists on what we want and not what's on sale, and can go out to a nice restaurant once a month.
But yeah, I can assure you. I'd rather be stuck up rich cunt than be poor any day of the week.
>>
File: inside1.jpg (169 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
inside1.jpg
169 KB, 800x522
This is more to do with obesity that it is to do with being poor.

Back when I was at my fattest, about 462lbs, I sat in my car for several hours a day tracking the movements of the 3 Chinese people who worked at the local Chinese place. I managed to figure out the exact times at which the kitchen was left unattended.

A few days later I was hungry for chinese food but couldn't afford it (I already paid for a Burger King that day) so I went to the back of the restaurant, and when I thought it was empty snuck into the back door and started drinking a bottle of toasted sesame oil and eating some uncooked egg noodles.

Anyway I got tired from drinking and eating so I ran to the front of the shop to sit down and pretend I came in to order something but a family was sitting waiting for the chef to come back so they could order. They were stunned and I managed to slide over the counter and escape but the shame meant I never went back.
>>
I did this with soda for mixers my entire freshman year, I couldn't afford 2-liters and the cafeteria closed at 10pm. That was way before my scheduled bedtime and before I had even really started drinking for the night.
>>
>>7737432
I had a full-time job that pays a few cents above minimum, but I was literally only able to stay at my mom's house for 6 months, so every last penny went to car and phone payments, and savings.

I just figured I should suck up the food situation and deal with it, since I knew it wasn't permanent.
>>
>>7736077
I will never understand why people are this fucking stupid.

Crackers are not cheap, neither is ketchup, yet your parents wasted money on this shit.

really reinforces that stupidity is the cuase of most child hunger
>>
>>7737478
>poor as shit
>buy pizza from fucking ceasers
more example of stupidity making you even more poor.
>>
>>7736103

It's true though
>>
>>7737488
that's not even a fat problem. you're just a disgusting, mentally ill freak
>>
>>7737618
You're a college student aren't you
>>
>>7737613

I know right?

You could have literalyl been full to the point of pain on rice and beans every single night for the same price before committing suicide because you could never put one more rice or bean in your mouth
>>
>>7736103
>Ugly white chick thinks she's hot shit
Typical.
>>
>>7737884
>ugly 4chan user thinks his post was hot shit.
Typical.
>>
>>7736271
Stop being an enabling faggot and tell the worthless addict to fix himself back into a shitty approximation of a human being.
>>
>>7736076
Rice with noodles
>>
File: 1460600203886.jpg (53 KB, 637x805) Image search: [Google]
1460600203886.jpg
53 KB, 637x805
>>7737892
>>7737884
>>
>>7737884
>chick
>>
>>7737634
You don't need a college education to understand rice and beans is cheaper than little Caesar's pizza
>>
>>7737510
>That filename tho
>>
when i was 13, my dad married a woman who was kind of a bitch, so i opted to stay with my grandparents instead. depending on their situation, they were either living in a car, a hotel room, or hopping from different campgrounds in their trailer. I lived on a diet of black olives and pepsi, with dollar menu chicken sandwiches and canned sardines spread in between.
>>
>mom has seizure when i'm about 13
>goes to hospital, comes home a few days later
>starts hallucinating and talking to television, loses her job
>running out of food, use last dollars and empty out change jar to buy pizza
>someone gives us lunchmeat and lettuce
luckily she got better soon afterwards but i really hate seeing people waste food now, especially leftovers. i feel disappointed if i ever have any vegetables that spoil before being eaten that can't be salvaged by cutting off the bad parts.
>>
>>7736259
Most people need to figure out why they do those things in the first place, even if he stopped gambling he might just pick up something else. It takes time to deal with those things, you can't just say "stop" and it's over.

I was addicted to a lot of things and felt bad about it, tried to stop, but I couldn't. Once I realized I was doing those things because I was traumatized from nearly being murdered as a kid I got rid of all my addictions pretty quickly and haven't ever picked up on any of them again.

You don't know what people are going through, most addicts already feel bad and some don't know why they're doing any of it. You don't have to enable them, but you're not helping by calling them worthless.
>>
>>7738046
what i think the problem is for most criticizers is that people with addictions are over-indulgers. gambling, smoking, drinking, or almost anything else isn't necessarily bad if it's in moderation, but they're spending hundreds on gambling, or on drinking, and then they have the audacity to complain about it. after spending a ton of money on the kind of vices that some people can only hope to afford intermittently, and consider luxuries, there are people out there living life to the fullest and complaining about it.
>>
>>7736208
Mate, if you turn tricks you can blow to get at least $400 per day. Semen contains protien, Vit C and Zinc among other things your body needs.
>>
>>7737876
Not him, but lets do some calcumuhlations:
A 1lb box of store brand saltines costs $1.49.
Each pound provides six, 300ish cal servings.
By contrast, 1lb of pasta costs 57¢ and also provides 300ish cals.
20lbs of rice costs $7.99 IE under 40¢/lb and also provides 300ish cals.
The biggest difference here, however, is that pasta and rice are both typically enriched IE they have added nutrients while saltines typically do not. Ergo, not only do saltines costs around three times more than the other two options, they're also less nutritious, not to mention far less versatile.
And you know... you could eat a lot more than just rice and beans (which costs about 30¢ per 650 cal portion made with expensive-ass olive oil and only 25¢ per serving if using regular-ass veg oil from Wesson, the same price as the saltines alone).

You could eat egg-fried rice (19¢ per serving), rice and cabbage (35¢ per serving), pasta with spinach and cheese (65¢ per serving) and even have meat from time to time (chicken pilaf, for example, would only cost you 75¢ per serving).
So for the same price as saltines which need something else to make it a complete meal, you could just have rice and beans, which is not only complete, but also fairly nutritious.
So yeah: sign me up for the bean train, because fuck eating crackers all day.

>>7736077
I just don't believe you, sorry sport.
>>
>>7738064
that's a very closed-minded way of thinking about addiction my friend. these people are often incapable of spending money on necessities.
>>
>be from poor family
>mom and grandma great at cooking and baking though
>always eat home-cooked family dinners with two courses usually followed by dessert

Everything went better than expected.
>>
>>7736076
in college i would blow way too much money. if anything, i eat more shitty now. i once had just a few slices of american cheese for dinner a week in a row. the 101 helped me get over that tho.
>>
File: 1447884164169.png (143 KB, 332x394) Image search: [Google]
1447884164169.png
143 KB, 332x394
I had to pay an emergeny car bill, so it was rice, tony C's, and butter for two weeks.

>tfw the direct deposit hit at midnight and i lived a block away from a whataburger.
>>
I was really poor as a kid so I've blocked out most specific meal memories.

I do remember my mom making only enough food for my sisters and me to eat. She more likely than not didn't eat.

"Oh I ate already"
"I'm not hungry"

Mom's a trooper.
>>
>>7736076
for a few years i was eating out of the garbage and living out of my van
>>
>>7736076
How could you possibly drink that much creamer, it has to be super concentrated with sugar and fat already...
>>
>>7738164

Was your van down by the river?
>>
>>7738164
well he ain't my boy but the brother is heavy
gave away my posessions and moved into a chevy
van, yeah that's the master plan, drove into the woods and ate corn out the can
>>
>>7736208
Fuck that's painful but
>stepdad
>my wife's son
>/pol/ is always right
>>
>>7737553
But you didn't ask him not to call you Shirley
>>
File: pls.jpg (53 KB, 442x295) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
53 KB, 442x295
oh /ck/ knows my low point well

when I was at my fattest I would purchase many $1 crispy chicken sandwiches from wendys and tuck them down the side of my mattress so they were pressed up against the radiator. That way any time I wanted I could reach down and have a hot chicken sandwich without ever getting out of bed.
>>
>>7737943
Ah. high school student then
Someone who doesn't understand adult problems
>>
>>7737618
Try working 8 hours straight in a high labor job with breaks only long enough to take a piss.
Then tell me you'll have the patience and energy to cook a meal at home.
>>
>>7736103
Meme it up all you want, you never hear about the mom packing up and skipping town.
My mom wasn't the one who got a girlfriend on the internet, got married before they were legally divorced, and moved halfway across the country.
>>
stealing bags of donuts from the dumpster outside Dunkin Donuts every few days.

>mfw when they caught on started adding the coffee grounds on top
>I threw away the top layer of donuts and stole more bags
>muhahaha
I'd reheat them in the oven when we had gas in the house. shit's actually pretty cash, they get sliiiiighty crispy on the outside and dead warm and soft all the way through
>>
File: download (1).jpg (24 KB, 534x401) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
24 KB, 534x401
>>7738352
>how do I bought tupperware, cook a lot, and freeze them into meals
I have done exactly what you are doing. even more, we're talking rice, so rince that shit and put it in a rice cooker, and beans, leave it overnight in water and wait for it to sprout. tada, huge ammount of nutrition, just ad water and simer till done. they cook themfucking selves basically. but yeah, you're too poor and tired so you take the easy option of waste literally all your money. fuck even when I'm treating myself I usually pay less than a dollar a serving.
>>
>>7736076
>What was the lowest part of your life in regards to food?

eating dumpster chips and peanuts for a week
>>
>>7738383
Not him, but this is a family of three that works full time and gets a five dollar pie after work ending up at less than two dollars a person.

There's a difference between maximizing your food budget, and just wanting to eat after work.
>>
>>7738352
You're not wrong. I work two jobs & go to school full time. I often stop someplace on the way home to eat.

However, I also prep meals on my days off. You can eat well everyday if you take an hour or two to cook & plan for the week.
>>
File: This does not help the Vault.jpg (4 KB, 202x192) Image search: [Google]
This does not help the Vault.jpg
4 KB, 202x192
>>7738340
That sounds disgusting.
>>
File: 1460294164778.png (986 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460294164778.png
986 KB, 1280x720
Reading this thread has helped me realize I've had it pretty damn good.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>7738347
adult problems like?
>>
>>7738421
Feeding a family while working a energy-sapping full time job?

Not even anyone you're responding to by the way...
>>
>>7738419
This

Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>7738429
It doesn't take a ton of energy to cook beans and rice moron
>>
Dumpster diving when I was addicted to opiates
>>
>>7738440
Nor does that taste very good, and still takes almost an hour if you want to make it taste good (chopping onions etc).

Exhaustion after work is a thing, especially mental if they've just lost their business and are just trying to stay afloat. (Honestly, I'd say mental exhaustion from doing office work is worse than physical exhaustion when I was doing landscaping)
>>
File: 1451328299467.jpg (39 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
1451328299467.jpg
39 KB, 500x329
>>7738454
>it takes an hour to chop an onion
>>
File: 1441845424472.jpg (25 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
1441845424472.jpg
25 KB, 500x347
>>7737884
>chick
>>
File: 1439675693003.png (198 KB, 520x388) Image search: [Google]
1439675693003.png
198 KB, 520x388
>>7736076

Microwaving margarine over spaghetti in college or telling Subway shop it was to go to skip in restaurant tax in grad school.
>>
>>7738473
i think it's the etc that takes most of the time
>>
Question, is rice as good as people say? I know its cheap but I also hear its really not that good for you
>>
Back when I first moved out of my parents house I had shitty money management skills and would often run out of money a week or so before payday. I live near the coast I had access to salt water fish. I made a pretty boss Hawain sling spear and would go hunting for food in the afternoons. Id also dumpster dive for bread at Panara. I never went hungry, but at a lot of bread, fish, and oranges because there were a bunch of those trees in my town.

I'm married now and have two incomes in my house now with better money managing skills. But I kinda miss those days. Just getting dinner was an adventure.
>>
File: images1.jpg (8 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images1.jpg
8 KB, 284x177
>>7736076
>Grad school
>Negative money in bank account
>Eat chicken broth and onion for a whole week
>The onion was stolen
>>
>>7738531
Do it again, anon. Do it for old times' sake.
>>
>>7738542
I still fish a lot for fun and food, but it's not the same. I know if I don't catch anything I can stop at a store and buy food. Maybe one day when the wife goes out of town I'll set up some kind of urban survival weekend.
>>
Lots of Oreos with organic peanut butter and tillamook ice cream. Probably gained a pound a day that month.
>>
>>7738440
When you've worked all day in a high labor job. Knowing you can have the luxury to not have to stand is more enticing than standing over a stove watching rice cook
>>
Oh Judy, how I want to comfort you with a pan of honey glazed rosemary baby carrots and a heaping side of wilted spinach and garlic.

I'm so sad when you're sad, I'll bring over the food to your terrible little room and we can sit on your cheap old bed and eat and laugh and be happy for a while, and then...and then, I might reach out and stroke your ears, sitting on the bed together, gently, just gently, and then, and then, and then....

Oh, Judy
>>
>>7738571
>standing over a stove watching rice cook
you can just leave it? why are you watching it?
>>
More related to ED than being a poorfag.
I became a NEAT after high school and started binge eating days I was alone.

I'd buy whatever junk I could afford, usually a container of Oreos, a pint of shitty ice cream, honey buns, donut holes from the store's bakery, and a frozen cheeseburger, and ate it all before anyone got home.

My family wanted to have an intervention about my weight, so I went from binging whenever I could to starving myself for a few years. I ate around 1,000 calories a day (inb4 no you didn't. I knew about weighing and logging my foods thanks to /fit/). I was really pathetic in the gym and miserable eating out or at family events.

I binged again at the start of the year for a month. I've stopped and slowly losing the weight I gained from said binge. This is probably the "happiest" I've been with food in a while.
>>
>>7738662
Erectile dysfunction?
>>
>>7738356
>women don't cheat or initiate the majority of divorces
>anecdotal evidence

Kys, buddy.
>>
>>7738722
>woman should stay in relationships with bastard husbands
>>
God that looks good. You nob, there's nowhere in my city that does pizza like that (UK)
>>
>>7736256
>Whole avocado
That's nothing, I could only afford 7 limes a week
>>
>>7736076
Eating out of dumpsters when I was homeless. (I had already spent all my food stamps on drugs) Pizza places often throw full pizzas in the boxes away when they close at night, same deal with fast food places

Eh, judge me fuckers
>>
>>7738352
>Try working 8 hours straight

Whoa there sweetheart, don't break a nail. Does your boyfriend know you're talking to men on the internet?
>>
Goddamn I'm glad I was born rich and am already on track to stay well-off forever at 25. I feel sorry for you guys, not in a Schadenfreude way, genuinely. Can't even imagine how it must feel not knowing when you're going to eat again.
>>
>>7739202
we used to make the bums fight each other or debase themselves for those pizzas when i worked at dominos in orlando.

there were several of our videos on bearshare and kaazaa in 2002.
>>
>>7739252
>fighting for dominos

Literally why? I was getting 'Round Table' and 'Mountain Mike's'. It's a west coast thing, it's breddy gud. Also you're kind of a piece of shit, unless they were completely disgusting, annoying, rude, destructive homeless people. If they were just hungry bums you should feel bad
>>
>>7738151
This is so close to my life it's spooky.
>>
>>7738518
Just make sure you get one of the varieties that's a complex carb, and you'll be fine. At the very least, it's good at filling you up, so if you're trying to feed children they're not going to bed hungry for fucks sake.
>>
>>7739262
these were slow zombie type fiends. like the strain their own piss to try to filter the drugs out so they can resmoke the piss crack, or piss heroin.

they truly deserved it.
>>
>>7739238
You're very lucky. Use some of your good fortune to help those that are disadvantaged, anon.
>>
>>7739275
I work as a medical ethicist (which pays surprisingly well) and am doing a teachers degree. Other than that I volunteer locally for poor families and more regionally for immigrants, upsetting /pol/.

Having said that, I might be lucky but it is fucking retarded that people get children when they're either not on track with their lives, irresponsible in general or are too fucking stupid to build a safety net, like the anon who's dad's company went to the shitter.
>>
>>7737488
>can afford car and fuel

>but cant afford food

Yeah sure. Just off yourself.
>>
>>7739408
>This is more to do with obesity that it is to do with being poor.

Literally the first line you crazy faggot.
>>
I am currently living off of food I can forage. I had some unexpected additional expenses and am currently supliments my food stockpiles with whatever I find. I'm absolutely sick of dandelion greens. I found some fiddle heads a week ago and those were nice. To bad I don't know crap about foraging for mushrooms. I've also been feeding my rabbits and chickens with whatever I can scavenge.
>>
>>7739936
Eat the animals.
>>
>>7738454
Little Cesar doesn't taste good...
>>
>>7739936
>I had some unexpected additional expenses

But you have an internet connection?
First world problems right here!
Gotta prioritize snapchat and instagram above food, ya'll!
>>
File: 1463820708790.png (433 KB, 360x408) Image search: [Google]
1463820708790.png
433 KB, 360x408
>>7736076
I'm living it right now.
>Ham and ketchup sandwich with quavers
I caused this by being a neet and because I don't care anymore about decency.
>>
>>7739949
They're not ready yet.those got 5 lbs to add on at least. Plus those are does. I'm not going eat my rabbit factories.
>>
>>7739957
>ketchup
>not mustard

well there's yer problem.
>>
>>7739086
what the shit is going on in this thread? Is this tumblr?
>>
>>7739955
I'm using my phone and work pays for that. I let the Internet go unpaid until they shut it off last month. It increased my productive at home. I end up cleaning when I get bored instead of games or the net. I'm at a work meeting right now. So nothing much else to do other then surf the net.
>>
I once ate nothing except saltines, peanut butter and milk for roughly ten days.
>>
>>7738112
Well some places (restaurants or cafes) have saltines and ketchup packets on a little table which you can take for free. Ketchup and saltine sandwiches is like... oh we grabbed a few handfuls from that one time we went to the restaurant and here they are in grandmas purse still whateva bone appeteet
>>
File: circuspnts51700.jpg (99 KB, 458x315) Image search: [Google]
circuspnts51700.jpg
99 KB, 458x315
Not exactly a low, but this thread brought about this memory.

>Mom takes us to her friends house when we were little.
>Mom's friend is more interested in getting drunk than having little kids around so she puts my little sister and I in the basement while my older siblings get to play outside.
>All that was down there to eat were these disgusting pieces of excrement.
>Didn't have dinner.
>Choose to fall asleep instead with little sister locked in an unfamiliar basement than eat the worst candy.

My mom did come down to spend time with us, though.
>>
>>7736110
This plus ketchup and mayo mixed into the rice
>>
>>7738473
it takes almost an hour to cook beans, beb. Have you only read about it and never done it or something?
>>
>>7740019
omg kitties
>>
i caught fish from a pond and ate them like golem from lotr after essentially just charring them over a fire. i almost got arrested because people who lived in the area called 911 after seeing the smoke. it tasted like cat food smells.
>>
>>7740087
What sort of beans do you buy?!
>>
File: image.jpg (473 KB, 1025x2811) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
473 KB, 1025x2811
some of the more frequent meals of my poot childhood:

>moist loaf of bread with sugar on it
>mustard and margerine sandwiches
>boiled potatoes with raw onions
>a lot of buttered toast
>>
Today

I had 2 yorkshire puddings and a bowl of microwave rice for my dinner
>>
When my parents died a few years ago, I was still in college and was partially finacially dependent on them for food. Long story short I had to drop out mid semester to manage their estate and figure everything out. Even before their deaths I was still struggling with my brothers suicide (he shot himself about a year before this) I was pretty depressed and had to pretty much stopped eating, after their passing I think I just decided I was going to starve myself to death. Went from 150lbs to 107 at my lowest (I'm 5'10). Thankfully my boss finally intervened and forced me to get help. Back to my old weight, but eating is still kind of a struggle.
>>
>>7740060
I had a roommate who lived like that, but it wasn't because he was poor.
>>
>>7736076
Early days of a creative career had me broke enough to busk in the subways for grocery money. Some days I did well enough to buy real groceries and cook proper meals with them. But there were days where breakfast was nothing, lunch was half a can of fish on a roll, and dinner was the other half of the can on another roll.

Thankfully I never starved because as long as I could get subway fare together I could grab my guitar and make enough to at least eat.
>>
I had rice, flour, sugar, anf peanut butter for 2 months. I almost went insane, but my now ex bought me 20lbs of random meat stuffs. That was at the 2 month mark. I traded some of it to a friend for his vegetables, and ate decently for the next month. Currently living on cereal rice onion tomato potatoe and eggs. But thats a choice to reduce my caloric intake for muh gains. Been looking for a peanut butter cookie recipie that isnt 90% sugar to break things up a bit.
>>
>>7736076

i lived off of pancake mix and water for almost two months
>>
>>7740072
You'd have to be eating 1lb of saltines and 2 cups of ketchup per day to keep yourself going and not only would that not come even remotely close to covering nutrient needs, there's no way in fuck anyone's grandmother carries enough ketchup and saltines in her purse to make a meal of it for one person never mind a family.
I call shenanigans.
>>
Timley thread.

Just eaten two vegetarian "hot dog sausages" microwaved, against the pack's instructions, on frozen bread I partly toasted to defrost, with a bit of French mustard and cheese.

I'm not even poor, just depressed as fuck. Now to get drunk.
>>
>>7736092
That's rough man, hope you're ok
>>
>>7736077
>Ketchup sandwiches

Thats nothing. Try Sugar on Bread.
>>
>>7741098
My mom grew up on those, her mother was the daughter of a farmer during the depression. Even though she was very well off by the time she had my mother she almost never bought "fancy food" (read actual food)

The main dinner she used to make was a pot of rice with 1 sausage cut up in it.
>>
File: 71wnAZ6ojCS._SL1500_.jpg (55 KB, 1500x668) Image search: [Google]
71wnAZ6ojCS._SL1500_.jpg
55 KB, 1500x668
>Used to live next to a bakery
>Fell in love with a girl working there
>Wanted to be cute for her and ask her out
>Thought about it for a while
>Ended up marching into the bakery one morning
>Grabbed a baking sheet from the kitchen area
>Loudly shouted 'i want to sniff your sheets'
>said it in a very unclear fashion
>nobody laughed
>blank stares
>apologise and walk off
>>
File: 1418703316572.jpg (37 KB, 460x391) Image search: [Google]
1418703316572.jpg
37 KB, 460x391
>>7736076
Ate some chips (crisps for people who still speak 18th century English) for dinner because I had so much work to do in such a small amount of time even going to take a piss was a luxury.
Also this >>7736077

I don't even know what eating proper middle-class food feels like anymore.
>>
File: harpo_marx.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
harpo_marx.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>7741167

still can't figure out why this didn't have the desired effect for Anon

it bottles the mind
>>
>>7736076
>at uni, no budget left of any kind so had to work with whatever i had left
>get creative
>boil pasta in red forest fruit tea
>strawberry jam cream sauce
>not too bad with some hungersauce
>added some salt out of curiosity
>utter shit
>>
>>7737488
Please post more stories
>>
I use to eat ice because it felt like I was actually eating. Not having enough money to eat sucks.
>>
>NEET
>locked up in my room all day
>getting kind of hungry, haven't eaten anything since dinner the night before
>oh SHIT parents have friends over
>can't go out there now
>lie on the floor as hunger overtakes me
>start to shiver because the AC is on full blast for company
>three hours pass as I shiver on the floor contemplating the emptiness of my life
>company still hasn't left
>finally I've had enough
>put on my shoes, run out of my room without even looking at anybody, jump in my car and take off into the dark night
>closest place is McDonalds
>get a Big Mac, french fries, and a drink in the drive through
>as I'm getting my drink I fumble and spill the whole thing all over my lap
>pull into the parking lot and just start eating because I can't take it any longer
>as I sit there alone in the dark eating french fries, I can feel the cold soda seeping into my underwear, and I think to myself
>"I should watch Cowboy Bebop next."
>>
>>7738046
>Green text that shit Anon
>>
>>7738103
go back to /b/
>>
>>7738397
they where bitching about how poor they were and admitting to how little food they got to eat as a form of bragging, while talking about how they ordered out every day.
>>
>>7741425
>parents
>friends
Nigger, just get out with your fancy happy home life. Next you'll tell us that you had proper medical care growing up. Fuck you, you entitled piece of shit. Seriously. Get fucked nigger.
>>
>>7738454
>>takes an hour
of time, not work you fucking retard.
You are a fucking idiot, all of us have or have had hard jobs too, with low money, the difference is we didn't waste ours on pizza and ate to our hearts content. I bet even at my most cooking period of life I would have spent less time at the stove than you did if I cooked every meal I ate for a month and you did it only on weekends.
>>
File: image_0.jpg (89 KB, 293x281) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
89 KB, 293x281
>>7737454
>on 4chan
>asking people not to be rude.
>>
I ate these exclusively almost every night when I got home from school for pretty much all of 5th grade because my mom and step-dad worked all the time and our stove didn't work. We were saving money that year to get a house the next.
>>
>>7736077
I had mayonnaise sandwiches. Just mayo between two pieces of white bread. Also kraft cheese singles between white bread, nothing else. Kid me was dumb.
>>
>>7741451
Poor, friendless orphans really are the biggest pieces of shit.
>>
When i was writing my thesis
i basically lived off juice, cookies, chocolate and cornfalkes for a few days before the deadline. Would be frantically typing every waking minute, setting up some batch simulations and going for a quick half-hour nap while they run. Even instant ramen werent instant enough
>>
>>7741474
DOSE CALORIESE AWE SHEEET
>>
>>7738159
Damn anon that brings back the feels
>>
>>7741474
>my mom and step-dad worked all the time and our stove didn't work. We were saving money that year to get a house the next.
Your parents should learn a bit about priority management.
>>
>>7738352
What do you work in anon
>>
>>7741518
In Britanistan, some people eat "salad cream" sandwiches.
Salad cream is basically Miracle Whip. So the sandwich is just salad cream and that's it. Just two slices of white sandwich bread with a dollop of salad cream in the centre. Truly revolting.

There are variations if you're fancy and turn your nose up at Poundland shoppers, such as egg and salad cream sandwiches (basically egg salad) "ham" and salad cream sandwiches (a thin slice of the worst quality ham-alike still somehow legally allowed to be sold by that name) and cheese and salad cream sandwiches (pasteurised, processed cheese-alike that you bought, despite your earlier nasal-raising at Poundland shoppers, at Iceland because it's fourteen slices for a quid).

And salad cream also finds its way into jacket potato (baked potato) territory somehow. Along with tuna and sweetcorn.

Would Americans ever top baked potatoes with tuna and salad cream?
>>
File: 1461315954453.png (10 KB, 150x148) Image search: [Google]
1461315954453.png
10 KB, 150x148
>>7741451
>muh victim olympics
getting real SJW up in here
>tfw had to kill the animal if I wanted the meat the week
>>
>>7738369
I know that feeling bro sometimes if you ask the shop owners sometimes they'll throw em to the side for you
>>
>blew all my college meal plan money halfway through semester
>ate nothing but Wendy's chili and soup from the Student Union for rest of semester
>also stole loads of saltines

I guess it wasn't that bad desu. Just the first thing that came to mind.
>>
>>7739238
I was born very middle class, and wasn't very successful financially in my early 20s, but I never came close to the hardships written about in this thread.

Making purchasing decisions based on cost at the grocery store, rather than say, exclusively eating rice and beans, is the "poorest" I've ever had to eat.
>>
>tfw nothing but sugar in rice for the past week.

I'm already a week later on rent and my current job is cutting hours since they're opening up a new facility. I'll probably be living in my car within the next few weeks
>>
>>7738499
Is that really a thing?
>>
>>7738563
Bottle of whiskey and a cellphone camera, mix the two and post that shit on youtube
>>
Im getting pretty low on funds, ill probably have to start extreme couponing for foods soon. Whats the best place for cheap food out of; kroger, walmart, giant eagle, carnival. Aldi?
>>
I frequent funerals and fill my pockets at the buffet afterwards so I can have two free meals instead of one
>>
>>7741207
Bottles?
>>
>>7736110
Wow sounds pretty bad ;(
>>
>>7741591
>Would Americans ever top baked potatoes with tuna and salad cream?

Well, of the ingredients left in my pantry, I have a sweet potato, a can of tuna and mayo, so we may just find out tonight.
>>
>>7741662
Does that really work? How much shame do you feel? Have you been caught? How do I find a funeral to steal food from?
>>
File: araki donut screamer.png (2 MB, 680x698) Image search: [Google]
araki donut screamer.png
2 MB, 680x698
>>7738429
>>7738454
>>7738571
Dear God, do you not even know how rice and beans are made? It's a set it and forget it kinda deal. You literally measure the ingredients into a pot, sit nearby while it reaches a certain temperature, and then do whatever you want until the timer goes off.

I can make a concoction that tastes better, is more nutritious and cheaper than Little Caesars in no-kidding 7 minutes with canned sauce, ground meat and a dark greens, no chopping required.
>>
One year and a half of four frozen burguers, six slices of bread and sauce packets from roomates' fast food bags they were kind enough to constantly bring me, per day.

College and drugs don't mix if you don't have an okay job.
>>
File: anchorman.jpg (27 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
anchorman.jpg
27 KB, 852x480
Washing dishes in the restaurant kitchen and taking bites of what people left on their plates.

It gets better.
>>
>>7736267
which country?
>>
I've eaten a lot of paper
>>
>>7740142
The cheapest beans are uncooked dry beans. You need to soak them at least for 30 minutes or more before you can even start cooking them, otherwise they take several hours to fully cook.
>>
>>7737553
hol' up anon

what kind of FULL TIME job pays a few cents above minimum? that sounds really shitty
>>
eating 3 day old cereal
>>
File: 1460532044119.png (214 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
1460532044119.png
214 KB, 624x480
Nibble from the scraps left by costumers when working as a dishwasher in an italian restaurant.

In my defense, they left all that tasty seafood untouched.
>>
>>7741474
Chef /r9k/ approves.
>>
>>7740142
dried beans- Kidney beans pinto beans and black beans are usually the cheapest, can find them for 1.00/lb on sale sometimes.
1- rinse and soak overnight
2- cook for 45 minutes

Cooking them, adding stuff to make it taste good (carrot, celery, onion, garlic, whatever) chopping and washing doesn't take very long but I can see how if you get home late at night you don't want your kids waiting for the beans to be edible feel.
>>
egg on rice for about five days... 's ok
>>
>>7737488
You hopped over a counter at almost 500 lbs? Kek, thats pretty impressive.
>>
>>7739292
There is no such thing as a safety net in real life
>>
>>7744450
With beans you have to think ahead. I just soak them over night, and then throw them in the crock pot in the morning, so they're ready by dinner time.
>>
When I was depressed and friendless at university, I ate an embarrassing amount of Dominos pizza. I would sometimes get the Two for Tuesday deal, and then essentially live off of those 2 pizzas for the rest of the week.
>>
File: 1452094089431.png (200 KB, 540x289) Image search: [Google]
1452094089431.png
200 KB, 540x289
>>7741839
>i can make a concoction
>>
oatmeal with water
>>
>>7741425
jesus, the food isnt even sad
>>
In me early 20's when I was dysfunctional and unemployed, I got kicked out of my apartment. About a week later I realized I left a turkey pot pie in the freezer. I went back when the new tenant wasn't there, broke in, and stole it back.
>>
>>7744545
It would be overly pretentious to call it a stew, but it's a damned good meal.
>>
>>7740982
>now to get drunk

That's the spirit
>>
>>7740019
Eat the cat, that fat fucker could feed an entire Korean family.
>>
File: 1408574959323.jpg (24 KB, 307x512) Image search: [Google]
1408574959323.jpg
24 KB, 307x512
>>7740268
>mustard and margerine sandwiches

I remember eating mustard sandwiches a lot as a child.

It's weird, we weren't even that poor, I just liked them for some inexplicable reason.
>>
Few years ago moved out of home for the first time. Screwed up terribly, lost my job and would visit my parents at the weekend and take a tiny bit of spare change out of my parents saving jar. I'd wait until late night and go to a supermarket when they heavily reduce baked goods in price and buy bread or whatever. I'd get whatever fresh produce was reduced and go home and make a sort of soup with it and have that every day for the week until I visited my parents house again at the weekend. I don't know why I didn't say anything at the time. I kept pretending I still had my job and everything was fine. I eventually moved back home after around half a year of that. I still have guilt over stealing from them, I add money to that jar whenever I can now.
>>
Stealing food from the work fridge yogurt that had no name, date & had been in there well over the allotted time. Tasted great, gave no fucks.
>>
>>7744562
That's my staple breakfast where I'm flush or poor, when I've got money i put some peanut butter on it.
>>
used to steal chucked away pizas from the dominos dumpster when I was addicted to morphine

I suppose I could of brought food but you know, why?

and food courts. even nowadays sometimes I'll eat from food courts you know the big trays of food people leave behind like wtf why are you buying food and just leaving it?

idgaf I don't even try to hide it
>>
Mom and dad married to their jobs
Mom was a lawyer who wanted to climb the ladder as fast as possible and dad owned a business that was picking up steam
Almost never saw them, they'd give me $200 a week for spending money and food
I'd usually buy shit you can microwave like burritos, chicken pot pies and shit
And that shit every day after school from middle school through most of high school
I eventually discovered we had a toaster oven and stated making those french bread pizzas and the pop pies in there
I think the absence of my parents made me a very detached person
>>
I ran out of money when I was living in Japan. Was gonna borrow some from a friend, but he had to put off meeting with me for a couple of days, so I ended up living on 200 yen for about a week. I got ramen, and would make extra big bowls, so I the broth would make me feel kind of full for the day, and when that ran out I just drank a lot of water and slept a lot.
>>
>>7744961
What were you doing in Japan
Are you poor and didn't save as much as you thought you needed for a vacation in Japan
>>
>>7745061
And what was the first thing you got when you got some money
>>
>>7736077
I used to put ketchup on a hotdog bun and nuke it for 10 seconds. Not even poor.
>>
>>7745061
I was there for a couple of months studying the language. I ran into a problem where my credit card got frozen for fraud worries, since I hadn't told them I'd be in Japan, and I didn't bring enough cash to make it through the whole trip.
>>
>>7745061

I thought I finally made it when the fucking 10/10 Japanese girl I was e-dating said she wanted to get married so after I sent her most of my spare cash for my half of the ceremony I showed up to the country and waited in the airport for a couple days before i realized
>>
>>7745066
And the first thing I bought when I got cash was a couple of steamed meat buns from the convenience store. So fucking good.

>>7745073
kek
>>
File: 1464921912615.jpg (57 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1464921912615.jpg
57 KB, 800x600
>>7745073

>sending someone money before you've ever even met them
>agreeing to marriage before you've ever even met them

I hope you learned your lesson, anonymous.

3DPD: Not even once.
>>
>>7745086
That 3 months of hope and bliss was worth it
>>
>>7745068
>I used to put ketchup on a hotdog bun and nuke it for 10 seconds. Not even poor.

when i was a kid, mustard sandwiches. we had lunch meat, but my grandma wouldn't let me have any, only my older brother. cause she liked him more than me.
>>
>>7745118
oh i would get meat once in a while... she'd fix my brother those minute steak things, or his favorite, fried hot dog slices in hash brown potatoes. she'd hand me a can of potted meat. no bread, just a plastic spoon.
>>
>>7745077
Did eating them bring tears to your eyes?
Did you eat them as soon as you paid for them?
Or did you wait til you got outside?
>>
>>7736076

When I was first learning to cook at 15 (lived by myself), I "invented" this brilliant method of cooking meat without it sticking to the pan. I filled my saute pan up 1/4 full of water instead of using oil
>>
>>7745149
I waited til I got back to the school, since eating food on the street is considered really rude in Japan. Once you've been without food for a couple days you don't actually feel all that hungry any more.
>>
>>7745150
W-why?
>>
>>7745153
Aah. I see. Thanks for sharing your story anon
>>
There are some times when I just ate bread, with nothing on it. Not because I was poor or anything, I was just too lazy to actually make something.
>>
>>7736076
In college I would eat tomato sandwiches, cup ramane, and drink a lot of wild turkey mixed with dr. pepper. I gained at least 20 lbs. that I'm still trying to lose.
>>
>>7736076

No one's going to tell the furfag to fuck off?
>>
>>7745383
Anon this thread has been up since Wednesday. Don't be so pathetic.
>>
>>7737613
>>7737876

Not like you can swipe an infinite amount of ketchup and crackers from a restaurant or anything
>>
>>7736110

Wow, an entire day, how did you survive?
>>
>>7738662
>1000 calories a day
>starving

kill yourself. i ate 200 kcal a day when i was trying to lose weight.
>>
I take dragonfruit from a chain grocer who charges 7.98$ a fruit.

I self scan it as bananas PLU 4011 for 89c a lb
>>
>>7745639
That's pretty dumb
>>
File: 1391732647737.png (776 KB, 684x684) Image search: [Google]
1391732647737.png
776 KB, 684x684
>>7745684
not when you're morbidly obese because your parents raised you on McDonald's. it hurt too much to walk 100 yards so I had no choice but to reduce my intake.
>>
>>7745722
200 a day is still stupid low. It's actually so low, I'm not sure I believe you did that, since people still need some food not to starve to death.
>>
File: 1397826604241.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1397826604241.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>7745731
my intake for the day would be a slice of bread toasted. I would put a pat of butter on that slice of toast. I'd estimate the pats of butter were about half a tablespoon, but it's been many years since then. I'd drink a ton of water throughout the day as well. This went on for about 6 months.
>>
Jesus, I was homeless for six months and still didn't have it as bad you guys.

>Lived at a youth shelter
>Worked in a factory job, commuting for three hours and working 12 hour shifts
>Shelter staff would always help me out as I was one of the four (4!) our of 45 residents that was actually working
>Always gave me a bagged lunch to take to work, helped out with bus tickets when I was first starting

Glad I got out of there though, it's a fucked up part in your life when used soap becomes a prized commodity and people are willing to steal your wash rags and underwear.
>>
>>7745775
Sounds like you did a good job using those resources the way they wish everyone would.
>>
When i was a kid dad hardly ever did shopping, and when he did it wouldn't last.
It didn't really effect him because he was never home anyway and always eating out.
I remember a specific time where I ate nothing for 4 days.
He yelled at me for being ungrateful and not eating whats in the fridge, when literally the only thing in the fridge was parsley.
>>
>>7745783

It was a weird place. It was a christian organization based in Detroit, they had a few alternative high schools also attached to the name of the place. One of which was on the grounds of the shelter.

They legitimately had free, alternative education right at their doorsteps and some of the kids just refused to attend. One of the guys had a job at a Chrysler plant, making 22$/hr, and he spent every red cent he made on drugs and clothes as soon as he got his check. Then he'd be poor, and begging for bus tickets for the rest of the week.
>>
>>7745639
no way you ate 200,000 calories a day m8
>>
>>7738454
you know that you can soak/cook them ahead of time and put them in the fridge right?
>>
File: 1459704432856.jpg (157 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
1459704432856.jpg
157 KB, 650x366
>>7745842
good job being a fatass american my dude
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090623091526AAAtpUu
>>
>>7745867
stay trolled son lmao stupid idiot i was just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>7745639
oh yeah?

after three days of that restriction you get weak, shaky, blurred vision, headaches, heart palpitations...

how long you do this for?

i'm a normal weight and reduced to 700 cal (400-500 below my TDEE) and i felt like shit.
>>
>>7745775
yeah..i eat better when i go to the food bank, more fresh veggies, organic/local, and i have to remember to refuse food because it will spoil before i can eat it.

downside is that foodbank diet is like 50 percent bread.
>>
>>7745894
>stay trolled son lmao stupid idiot i was just pretending to be retarded
You sure? You seemed pretty natural at it...
>>
File: congrats.jpg (53 KB, 516x391) Image search: [Google]
congrats.jpg
53 KB, 516x391
>>7745073
what the fuck man
>>
>>7745905
maybe if you're healthy weight. I had 100 pounds (at least) of excess fat to keep me going. it helped that I dropped out of school and lived with my parents = no reason to ever leave my room
>>
>>7745926
well you didn't say you were an obeast in that post.

pertinent info don't ya think?
>>
File: 22134003_p0.jpg (178 KB, 600x847) Image search: [Google]
22134003_p0.jpg
178 KB, 600x847
>move to a place where kitchen is shared between multiple apartments
>have a bit of a history as a shut-in, but figure I'll just get used to having to meet people whenever I go to make food
>actually get worse instead
>spend half a year using my water boiler to make instant ramen for every meal every day to avoid having to leave my apartment
>fail all classes and feel depressed the whole time due to lack of energy that comes with getting too little to no nutrition, sunlight and physical activity

Even if you're not as autistic as me, you should really think twice before moving to a place where you don't have your own kitchen. Stepping on other people's toes while trying to prepare a meal can quickly take any joy out of cooking. Oh, and remember to eat balanced meals, and take at least a short walk outside every day!
>>
>>7746135
you know that there's plenty of food you can make in your room that is healthier/normal compared to instant noodles...right?
>>
>>7746146
I would love to have known back then. With no fridge in my room, I was basically limited to dry foods.
>>
>>7746173
you never thought about fruits/veggies and nuts?

this isn't autism, this is retardation.
>>
Ate take away every day for a week.
>>
>>7736100
Holy shit you are stupid.
(Also glad it turned out ok, that Dad was a douche.)
>>
>>7746204
>fruits/veggies
With no fridge, that would force me to go out to resupply like every 3 days, exactly what I was trying to avoid

Nuts work, I guess, but never been in the habit of eating nuts.
>>
>>7746222
lol wut?

how long do apples last? a couple months

how long do carrots/broccoli last? a couple weeks
>>
>>7746231
Apples do not last a couple months. Maybe in the fridge but definitely not the pantry.

Also pretty much every vegetable should be stored in the fridge. Except potatoes and onions, I think.
>>
>>7746234
true. for best results, we're talking about someone that ate top ramen for half a year!
>>
>>7746237
Sometimes I ate rice crackers too.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.