[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which foods will help me cope with my anxiety?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 500x375
Which foods will help me cope with my anxiety?
>>
>>7731236

suckin' off a few sausages like that would help
>>
>>7731273

down... i mean suckin' down
>>
Back in the old country when I had a rough day, my nonna would whip me up a plate of her famous 'zanya
>>
File: bliss.jpg (666 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bliss.jpg
666 KB, 1920x1080
>>7731236
Real talk, abstinence from drugs. Don't know if you're into the better stuff, but nicotine, caffeine, and alcohol abstinence would help. Also exercise, hydration, and proper supplements.

Then, after all of that, it's all personal sensitivity. I notice highly salty foods, white bread, processed meat, and possibly MSG can trigger my anxiety. Could just mainly be a function of acute dehydration though, which I'm not ruling out...
>>
>>7731236
>https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150728110734.htm
>Link between intestinal bacteria, depression found

You say anxiety but if the above link is true, it could be causing that too. Eat/drink fermented and unpasteurized foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, low-alcohol beer, kefir, kimchi, and cooked fermented grain foods like real sourdough bread are good too.

Avoid chocolate, caffeinated sodas/coffee/tea, energy drinks obviously, and anything else that's similar.
>>
File: Messages Image(1120515032).png (115 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Messages Image(1120515032).png
115 KB, 320x240
>>7731714
>>
>>7731743
I'm assuming a diet of high abv drinks fucks with your natural gut flora...
>>
>>7731236
Hey anon. What is your anxiety like? I have social anxiety disorder.

I find that really healthy foods help me out. Take your multivitamin, and eat healthy foods. I eat a lot of broccoli, a lot of vegetables. I think vegetables are your best bet with foods that help anxiety.

Just remember - medication and personal coping methods are the best way to counter anxiety.

But treat yourself too, man. Sometimes after a day of anxiety attacks, I just crave my favourite food - sushi. So, I buy it. Treat yourself to your favourite food, anon, although don't do it too often depending on what it is.
>>
>>7731748
Probably. It most likely gets diluted quickly, but it's still sugar albeit in a fermented form and too much sugar can cause an overgrowth of bad bacteria/yeasts. Lower alcohol drinks (4% abv or lower) are probably fine, something like a sour beer would be the best since they're made with wild yeasts and bacteria too.
>>
Green smoothies(spinach,parsley,coriander etc) with whole peeled lemons
>>
>>7731236

kefir, greek yogurt, sauerkraut, kim chi

anything with good bacterial cultures.
>>
>>7731236
just get a milkshake from chik fil a and put a xanax in it
>>
I know it's cliche as fuck, but fresh produce and a severe decrease in the amount of sugar/junk food has improved my mood immensely, even in spite of the abject poverty that forced me in to this lifestyle.
>>
>>7731734
Or you have slight social anxiety like me.
Interacting with people I'm unfamiliar with makes me uncomfortable as fuck. I'm going on a 'date' tonight with someone i met off the internet. I'm so nervous i feel fatigued
>>
File: A1320990197.jpg (42 KB, 400x293) Image search: [Google]
A1320990197.jpg
42 KB, 400x293
>>7731236
Besides exercise and >>7731743
Eat GABA rich food. GABA Oolong tea and GABA rice (sprouted brown rice) for example.
>>
>>7731830
>fermented food cures mental illness.
I'm actually laughing right now.
>>
File: GABAgool.jpg (4 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
GABAgool.jpg
4 KB, 184x184
>>7731967
>>
>>7731973
see
>>7731743

Nobody is saying it's an immediate and 100% effective cure, but it could help.

"95 percent of the body's serotonin is found in the bowels"

"The second brain contains some 100 million neurons, more than in either the spinal cord or the peripheral nervous system"

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/
>>
pop rocks and energy drinks
>>
>>7731992
Don't forget your tendies you fucking autist
>>
>>7731989
Jesus' fucking dick, stop thinking that you can have informed opinions just because you've read a few pop-sci articles. You don't know a fucking thing about neurology, and that's exactly what articles like that assume about their readers.

>t. a buttmad neuroscience major
>>
>>7731989
Doctors often prescribe kimchi to alleviate the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
>>
>>7732006
So are you claiming that fermented food has no effect on mood?
>>
>>7732006
>neuroscience major
Then why are you just spazzing out instead of contributing to the conversation in a meaningful way? Do you really think someone who has a healthy diet isn't going to be happier than someone who doesn't?

>>7732011
Problems like depression usually have multiple causes, so yeah eating healthier foods that promote healthy gut flora could help.

People who just want a pill to fix everything usually make things worse for themselves.
>>
>>7732019
Yeah, he does think that. Most neuroscientists are still stuck in the rut of imagining the brain is practically just its own thing operating on its own accord.
>>
>>7732012
>>7732019
I'm saying that thinking of the GI tract as a "second brain" is ludicrously ignorant and downplays the hell out of the indescribably complex skull-dwelling slop that makes each one of us who we are. There is a lot more going on than than what Wikipedia tells you about neurotransmitters. Of course food and lifestyle affect mental health, I never said anything to the contrary, they just aren't going to make as big of a difference as holistic quacks would lead you to believe

>>7732028
What?
>>
>>7731236
Chamomile tea
Ginger
>>
>>7732077
>I'm saying that thinking of the GI tract as a "second brain" is ludicrously ignorant and downplays the hell out of the indescribably complex skull-dwelling slop that makes each one of us who we are.
I think it's more of just trying to show people that their stomachs and digestive systems are more complex than they realize in a relatable way, and how important that makes the food we eat.

Having stomachaches, not pooping often enough, feeling sluggish from not eating properly, diarrhea, dehydration etc. can all add up to be a big problem, especially if the person is dealing with other problems on top of it. I've seen cases where people who normally ate fairly well stopped doing so for a few days, and had stomachaches and other issues. Their mood noticeably drops, they become more sad and desperate, and unhappy. Now someone who has eaten this way their whole life without knowing what it feels like to have a healthy diet, I think that could cause depression.

Obviously it's not going to cure depression from someone who has other issues, or an inherent problem with their brain, but problems like depression can be caused by a lot of things.
>>
>>7731236
Honestly I have no idea what you mean. Do you mean food that has nutrients that help manage anxiety? Or do you mean food which the action of eating helps deal with anxiety?

Either way I suggest fresh crispy apples or carrot sticks. I know when I'm feeling shitty and like I don't have any control over my life it feels pretty good to bite into an apple. Something about taking something so round and perfect created slowly and peacefully by nature and just destroying it with your teeth as voraciously as possible. Give that feeling of power back. Same with carrot sticks. You get into a groove and lose count of how many fall before your might.
>>
Had to put down my dog because of complications with her and I've barely eaten since, and that was last Thursday. She was my cooking buddy and usually got a few tablescraps. She wasn't allowed to be in the kitchen whilst I cooked for safety reasons so she'd lie down and just wait for me to finish.

She'd also sit outside with me when we were smoking something in the smoker or grilling. When I'd make beef jerky or biltong I always shared the first piece with her (and many after that).

I'm going to try to cook again tomorrow but it definitely won't be the same.
>>
foods containing sugar that have been fermented by yeast, consumed as beverages.
>>
>>7732183
I'm actually kind of mad that you followed up his heartfelt post with this shitty meme. It's such a stupid fucking whiplash from complete sincerity to nothingness.
>>
i've heard a high omega 3/low omega 6 diet is supposed to help control cortisol.

cortisol is a hormone that makes you feel like a shit: depressed, anxious, etc.
>>
>>7731862
fuck man right in the feels
good luck with that date
>>
>>7731236
lots of water, anxiety is literally chemica, with that in mind, hot spicy foods, to sweat it out, and chopping up onions because savoury food is comfort foods.
>>
>>7731998

why are you so mad

who hurt you
>>
>>7731236
i have anxiety pretty bad but function well with a proper diet

i'll mirror what people are saying about just eating generally healthy and staying hydrated, i personally love fermented and vinegary foods but that's only effective because i love them...

but spicy food? holy fuck if you don't love spicy food start eating mild salsa until you do and keep increasing the heat. a good nongshim spicy ramen can blast any panic attack outta my system. spicy foods are great anxiety relief.
>>
>>7732604
Thanks, breh. It went well. She's bretty nice
>>
>>7731236
foods rich with minerals.
vitamins too.

minerals help your brain function and help you get rid of depression too.
>>
>>7732179
Hey, it's going to be ok. If i were you I'd go straight to the pound and rescue a dog. The most unloved dog you can find and give him a home. He can be your new cooking pal.
>>
>>7732179
What a cuck
>>
>>7731236
>classic image.jpg
>>
>>7731862

Nervousness is a totally normal response to that situation. Feelings are not illnesses.
>>
>>7735058
There's a pretty large difference between nervousness and anxiety.
>>
WISH WE COULD TURN BACK TIME
TO THE GOOD OLE DEEEEEYZZZZZZ
>>
>>7731734
>Real talk, abstinence from drugs. Don't know if you're into the better stuff, but nicotine, caffeine, and alcohol abstinence would help.
Don't believe these Jewish lies.
>>
>>7735264
>alcohol is a jewish conspiracy to get you drunk and take your money
>not drinking alcohol is also a jewish conspiracy
mfw they find out dark matter is made up of tiny jews
>>
>>7735281
This is why it's so hard to go a day without jewish tricks.
>>
>>7731236
are you just asking us what is our comfort food?
>>
>>7731236
potato skins.
>>
>>7732914

We're going to get another dog soon. The funny thing is we didn't even know we were getting the dog until about thirty minutes before, and we were already on our way to find out what was going on. She was going to the pound before my grandma said that my mom and I would take care of her. She had already been to two previous homes and they didn't want her, so it was the pound next. Her previous owner had been deployed and his mom didn't want her. Couldn't let that happen, you know?

Seven years of constant companionship and now she's gone. It's a thing though, right? Death comes to everything. She wouldn't want me like this and I know she would want me to cook and have a good time and not be sad, but it's just so empty without her.

Dogs.
>>
>>7731236
Eating the barrel of shotgun is the tradition. Would recommend getting some anti anxioty meds instead, they can do wonders.
>>
>>7735748
I know man. I'm going to be emotionally destroyed when my 15 yr old dog eventually passes away even though it's a part of life. He is a pound dog so i will be consoled by the fact that we saved his life and gave him a great home.
I don't think it's insenitive to get another pound dog soon after your dog dies, too. So many dogs die at the pound each week ;-;
>>
>>7731236
Poutine for sure
>>
>eating like a proud freedom-burguer
>anxiety gets worse
>eating like two proud freedom-burguers for a short period of time
>decide to starve myself
>anxiety gets even worse but lost my will to eat like a retarded animal
>manage to stick to a "SSF Food Pyramid" diet and never eat snacks again
>sanity

It took a about two weeks to lost my will to eat snacks/tasty dishes every time i felt anxious/like killing myself, and i felt pretty happy about it, specially for the fact that i was losing weight pretty fast.
>>
>>7731236
Mac n Cheese
>>
>>7732910
what did you do anon?
>>
>>7736325

If you're in the States, I guarantee you can go to any pound and get a pit bull that nobody else will rescue. Enjoy your lifelong companion that will literally die for you. I have never met a more loyal and loving dog than my pit.
>>
>>7736392
Enjoy having your face ripped off in a random, psychotic, canine, frenzied attack.
>>
>>7736397

Confirmed for not knowing shit about pit bulls. I'm sorry you've been brainwashed by the media to believe that.
>>
A nice tasty 'za
>>
>>7731236
a gun
>>
File: blunderbuss.jpg (15 KB, 400x117) Image search: [Google]
blunderbuss.jpg
15 KB, 400x117
>>7737092
A blunderbuss would be so much more entertaining than the typical imagined "gun."
>>
>>7731980
kek
>>
>>7731236
Many "super foods" are linked in being stress busters like asparagus, spinach, blueberries, almonds, salmon and oranges.

Also stay away from pasta when feeling stressed or down.
>>
>>7731280
Neither of these is how you eat sausages, anon.
>>
>>7731236
Well, bread and cheese have opioids in them. So, have a grilled cheese or five?
>>
>>7736397
This is only a problem because more people started using pit bulls for fighting/guard dogs. Any big dog can be dangerous, and pit bulls don't even have the strongest jaws.

I know someone with a pit bull and mutt, the pit bull has so many scars because the mutt plays more aggressively and the pit is docile. When I play tug with them and their toys, the mutt will grab on full force and yank as hard as it can, while the pit just barely nips onto a small part of the toy and mostly chews on it.
>>
>>7736386
We went and had some beers at a belgium beer house (i live in aussiestan)
>>
>>7731834
This OP
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.