[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wine is made from grapes, but people talk about it having notes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (297 KB, 1000x1148) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
297 KB, 1000x1148
Wine is made from grapes, but people talk about it having notes of all sorts of other things like fruits, berries, and spices. Why don't wine makers just add those flavored with extracts?
>>
Because it wouldn't taste very nice.
Barrel ageing does wonders for wines and spirits.
>>
>>7724613
Why bother?
If you tell enough wine tasters it tastes like something they will agree so they look cultured.
>>
>>7724619
How do you know? Have you ever tried it?
>>
>>7724613
Go back to your farm, and watch the planes flying over you, but dont ever try to touch any wine ever again!
>>
https://youtu.be/5PeKcWCC-tw
>>
>>7724613
If they thought they could get away with it, they probably would. But wine drinkers are extra faggoty when it comes to authenticity.
>>
Wine isn't only made from grapes. It can be made of anything that ferments to alcohol.
>>
>>7724613
But there are tons of adjuncts added to wine, more commonly at the low end to disguise shit quality fruit, but sometimes even in expensive stuff

Why does /ck/ seem to think wine is just 'let some grape juice ferment on its own and pour into bottles'

Sure there are a few like that but most of the time it's way more complicated
>>
>>7724613
because it stops being wine and starts being garum
>>
>>7724765
No, thats alcohol. Wine is the name for the alcohol of grapes
>>
>>7724627
Not the guy you're replying to but I have tried it
It's alright, nothing stellar really, I feel like they use it to mask wine that isn't very good
>>
>>7724947
>Wine is the name for the alcohol of grapes
Wine is the name for alcohol from fleshy fruits (or succulent plants) in general.
>>
It's the fermentation process that makes wine so complex and unique. You might as well just add vodka to your favorite juice or soda if you think adding fruit extracts will give a wine the flavors that people enjoy.
>>
>>7724613
>people talk about it having notes of all sorts of other things like fruits, berries, and spices
That's wine language for various specific smells.
>>
>>7727167
Tell that to everyone who buys two buck chuck
>>
>>7727230
Plebs, essentially.
>>
>>7724947
nah there is also honey wine which is made from honey of course there is a ton of things people add to honey wine from maple syrup to cherries and oranges and even milk
>>
>>7728078
If you want to get technical, there really isn't such a thing as "honey wine".

The fermentation process is identical, but it needs to be fruit (or a succulent plant) for it to be considered wine.
>>
>>7728078
Most people call that mead. You should have said dandelion wine.
>>
>>7724613
Well, not the same thing but most wineries use special yeasts, which makes their wine taste like it should, and helps them ferment properly. Most grapes have their specific yeasts, that helps them show their full potential, but for example, I once tasted a glass of what I thought was Sauvignon Blanc. Turned out it was Rheinriesling with Sauvignon Blanc yeast. I don't know why they did this (it was a really small winery), I just wanted to demonstrate the power of these yeasts.
>>
>>7724627
Sure. It's called bum wine. Tastes like shit.
>>
>>7727260
Plebs, cheap asses, and alcoholics. The same kind of people who drive a BMW, but give your kids a $5 McDonald's gift certificate for Christmas, or the types who buy 6 cartons of boxed white zin per week then go on and on about how good it is.
>>
>>7724613
Wine isn't just made with grapes.

Here in Britain have been making wine long before the Romans and many people still do now . . .. Dandelion,plum, elderflower, parsnip, etc.

There is a high start up cost - Demijohns, etc. but after that, it's plain sailing and cheap wine is freely available.
>>
>>7730050
maybe.. but if you say "wine" it's generally from grapes else you say "plum-wine" no?
>>
>>7730073
>else you say "plum-wine" no?
That's correct.

I've been to many peoples houses were they've made their own wine . . .a good time was had by all. [insert smiley here]
>>
>>7730092
I made a vicious apple-strawberry wine in university, 3 gallons at 17% (a cool laboratory technician lent me a hydrometer) using a dessert wine yeast. Took 4 weeks to finish fermenting and another 6 to fully settle. I drank it over the course of my finals revision and may have contributed to getting a third class degree.
>>
cheap wine is one of the deadliest substances in america, killing tens of thousands of people yearly.
>>
>>7730103
I have never made any myself but I probably will as I reach my twilight years, I have had some very good tasty and strong home-made wine . .. the more I think about it, the more inspired I get.
>>
>>7730134
I was inspired by my uncle, he's a semi retired engineer and brews rhubarb wine. He used to do carbonated batches but was prohibited by his wife after a blowout broke through the stairs one year and the greenhouse the next.
>>
I just collected 9 pounds of mulberries from my yard and plan on making wine out of half of it.

I'm really excited to do this.
>>
>>7730137
>brews rhubarb wine.
I'm actually doing the same thing right now.

I've still got another month and a half before it's done but I'm really excited to try it once it's finished.
>>
>>7730171
It's certainly an experience. The tartness is very distinct from that of grape wine.
>>
>>7730183
I've heard that.

If I'm sharing this with other people, do you recommend I curb it with some other fruit flavors? I've been considering strawberry, but I'm still deciding.
>>
>>7730187
You could, strawberry actually doesn't come out terribly sweet. I'd recommend pairing it with something that nicely complements or contrasts the flavour. At the very least, have some plain crackers on hand.
>>
>>7724613
It's called Mega Purple and that's basically what they do for larger brands. Wines that say "california" come from all over the state including several different climates, soil types, and clone variation that will dramatically change the taste of the wine. Big jug wines have no consistency if they are using the cheapest grapes from all over the state. So they made a Merlot flavor, a cab flavor, chardonnay will have what is essentially a giant "tea bag" full of oak chips to give it a woody flavor and they will even add in lab made acid to raise the acidity if they think it's too low. It all tastes pretty fake though if you drink some smaller estate wines that have a good reputation.
>>
>>7724619
>Barrel ageing does wonders for wines and spirits

not all wines and spirits buddy
>>
>>7730219
>he doesn't know
Judgment of Paris, Pierre
>>
>>7730137
>blowouts that powerful

Did he put it in the bottles at the very start of fermentation? What were they capped in? I've exploded bottles while doing some other ferments and the glass could barely break through the box i was storing it in (I wanted to see how carbonated i could get it without exploding)
>>
>>7730532
>have italian friend who always insults american wine
>i constantly bring up judgement of paris
the lengths he goes to refute it are hilarious
>>
>>7730548
Europeans are completely obsessed with us even though their whine was proved to be bullshit over 30 years ago
>>
>>7730562
Whatever keeps you warm at night. I'd like to see an OIV Gold Award wine of yours for $35.
French wine is definitely overhiped though. But there's a lot more to europe, you know.
>>
>>7724750
That was very informative-
>>
burgundy or bust
>>
>>7724750
That's a great show
>>
>>7730219
>It all tastes pretty fake though

> implying you can tell the difference
>>
>>7732798
You can't tell if it's used in moderation, but a lot of brands are using it way beyond moderation because it covers up flaws and gives wine the kind of characteristics that plebs love: opacity, deep purple color, etc

There's a reason inexpensive critter wines always seem to taste pretty similar to one another. Overuse of technology makes it into the Kraft singles of wine
>>
>>7732889
>Kraft singles of wine

I believe it. What happened to pride in your wine?
>>
>>7724745
Mulled wine is fantastic what shit hole do you live in to have never had any?
>>
>>7733013
That's pretentious
>>
>>7733042
probably somewhere warm. I never tried mulled wine till I visited europe
>>
>>7724613
There are "notes" in many alcoholic beverages, but wine faggots over exaggerate everything.
>>
>>7734061
How is that being pretentious?
>>
>>7724613
why do women pretend to like wine?
>>
>>7736881
It's easy to get drunk on because it tastes good. And it's more socially acceptable to have a glass of wine than a few screwdrivers in the afternoon
>>
>>7736881
I like wine.
>>
>>7736881
Women wish to appear "classy", which is like masking a machine gun-belt of farts with a piano solo; women should be seen and not heard.
>>
>>7735316
Middle America believes that the kind of food tech that gave us plastic cheese, mealy watery tomatoes, and cooking spray, should be worshipped because that kind of tech is what gave Midwestern cuisine its distinctive regional character.

As wikipedia has taught us, all wine from the USA (aka Napa much like how Wisconsin is the entire USA when it comes to cheese) is the best wine in the universe and has been since 1976. Therefore critter wine from Lodi that contains mostly mega purple and oak dust represents America, and anyone who doesn't think, talk, eat, walk, drink, live, look, or feel EXACTLY the same as me is incredibly pretentious and is obviously plotting to annihilate the proud American people, I don't think about you at all dot png
>>
>>7736881
>>7738902
virgin losers shut the fuck up

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7724750
It's always the same two ancient studies cited.
Are they absolutely infallible and thusno one ever attempted it again or what?
>>
>>7739836

how many cats do you own?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.