[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Venison suggestions Steaks and back straps in the freezer but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 275x184
Venison suggestions

Steaks and back straps in the freezer but have never cooked venison before. Wat do?
>>
>>7723013
>>7723013
Venison is a very lean meat, so low and slow cooking and braising is your best bet to make sure it doesn't turn out tough and dry.
>>
>>7723013

you can make some shitty jerky i guess

no matter what you make the whole meal will be "wow man i wish i just bought beef instead this shit sucks"
>>
>>7723013
Marinate in beer and a1 for day, cut into 1/3 inch slices, fry in bacon fat
>>
File: Gourmet-Gold-Cherry-Venison.jpg (176 KB, 592x800) Image search: [Google]
Gourmet-Gold-Cherry-Venison.jpg
176 KB, 592x800
>>7723013
I can't afford venison.

It's just too deer.
>>
>>7723025
No I shot this guy. It's basically free meat besides the cost of a bullet and the tag. They're pretty gamey with all the sagebrush and crap they eat out here. I had it processed and had some breakfast sausage made but it wasn't very good. Hope the steaks turnout better
>>
File: 2885879361_7b2c0e64a8.jpg (21 KB, 320x220) Image search: [Google]
2885879361_7b2c0e64a8.jpg
21 KB, 320x220
>>7723025

Yeah, no, fuck you.

Granted, I suck at making steaks in general, so I generally use venison for stew meat or chili, but it's damn good when prepared correctly.
>>
>>7723013
Like someone said before, jerky is good. It's a whole animal, so suggestions would be very vague unless you name a cut.

Also, hope you have some fat. Always save your bacon renderings by putting a rubber band around a piece of paper towel over a mason jar and pouring the fat through it.
>>
>>7723043
>breakfast sausage

Oof, bad decision there, there's not enough fat in venison to make a good breakfast sausage.

If you get it ground into hamburger meat you can make some kickass chili with it though.
>>
>>7723048
Yeah I've been trying to hide the sausage in chili for the most part
>>
>>7723013
with steaks and backstraps i grill until just past very rare, still juicy and tender. For any other part of the animal it gets slow cooked somehow.
>>
>>7723048
grind with 30% pork fat and it will be a lot better.
>>
marinade in teriyaki is good. Make sausage or chili out of it with fatty pork or beef added.
>>
Cook it in mushroom soup
>>
>>7723013

I'll grill the steaks being careful not to burn them seeing as how they're so lean.

I'll mix some with beef for burgers, which are absolutely head and shoulders above normal beef burgers.

I'll mix some with pork for sausage.

Some I'll save for stewing and eat with German kartoffelsalat.
>>
Pie.
>>
>>7723013
my favorite is doing steak au poivre with the back straps. wife and her family love it and i always half to bring a couple backstraps up with me for christmas
>>
>>7723277
>>7723281
>>7723304
>>7723269
>>7723055
>>7723048
what is wrong with you grinding up good back strapsfuck you do that with the rest of the deer
>>
>>7723041
huehue
>>
>>7723013
Back straps cut into medallions and either grilled rare with an aggressive seasoning mix of your choice or cooked in a pan with butter, rosemary and thyme.
>>
>>7724097
This. Back strap medallions are terrific. Be liberal in your use of black pepper and salt. Steaks (if about 1/2 inch thick), seared on a very hot cast iron and then finished at 350 for ~3 minutes, are also delicious. Again, black pepper and salt are really all you need. Rosemary and butter are just indulgences.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.