[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rhubarb recipe idea. Untested. Might fail. Join me in real-time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 9
File: Ingredients.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Ingredients.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Rhubarb recipe idea. Untested. Might fail. Join me in real-time as I attempt to utilize some frozen rhubarb that's been sitting there for a few weeks.

Ingredients -
two bags of frozen rhubarb
vanilla beans
fresh ginger
dark brown sugar
maple syrup
a gelatin sheet
>>
File: Vanilla bag.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Vanilla bag.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7722070
Vacuum seal the contents of one of the bags of frozen rhubarb in a bag with 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and two vanilla beans that have been split open.
>>
File: Ginger bag.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Ginger bag.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7722084
Vacuum seal the contents of the other bag of frozen rhubarb in a bag with 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and a few slices of fresh ginger.
>>
File: SV1.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
SV1.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7722100
sous vide them at 167F for about an hour
>>
File: SV2.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
SV2.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7722118
okay so while these guys are cooking, let me explain the next few steps and maybe some of you more experienced can chime in with some critiques / ideas.

Half way through cooking, I'm gonna pull the bags out and shake em up a bit to redistribute the ingredients then put them back in the bath.
After cooking, I will strain the solids from the liquids (separately) then mix the liquids with some gelatin water.
Then I'll fills some mini-loaf molds with a couple solid rhubarb pieces and cover it with the liquid. After a few hours in the fridge, I should have some vanilla-rhubarb jello and ginger-rhubarb jello with sweetened rhubarb in the center.

The vanilla-rhubarb jello will have the ginger-rhubarb solids in the middle and vice-versa.

Topped with yogurt whipped cream.
>>
You know, I'd like to see the energy use of sous vide vs. just cooking it in a fucking pot. Heating up a huge bucket of water seems like a massive waste of energy.
>>
What the hell is rhubarb? You can't just make up ingredients, ya dip!
>>
File: cooked.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
cooked.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7722184
Shit while you're at it, let's look at the energy it took to keep them frozen for the past few weeks vs growing them myself. I honestly don't give a fuck if it's wasteful, but I'm glad someone out there does.

>>7722340
You're missing out.

Back to the recipe... bags are out of the bath. Time to strain the solids from the liquids.
>>
>>7722070
>two bags frozen rhubard
stopped reading there
>>
File: Strained.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Strained.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7722389
Yeah. Rhubarb season came and went quickly and none of the local stores got any. Wanted to make a pie with it a few weeks ago and ended up nixing the idea and made it with fresh fruit instead... so I've been trying to think of what to do with this frozen rhubarb and this thread here is what I came up with.

All strained. Liquids have had some gelatin water added to them.

Assembly time
>>
File: Assembly 1.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Assembly 1.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7722396
Vanilla on the right side, ginger on the left
>>
File: Assembly 2.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Assembly 2.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7722410
Liquids added. Into the fridge it goes.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.