[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /ck/ think of Soylent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: soylent.png (378 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
soylent.png
378 KB, 800x800
What does /ck/ think of Soylent?
>>
I think it becomes a popular discussion topic every summer. Not even joking.
>>
>>7721246
Maybe people trying to lose weight for the beach?
>>
>>7721249
No, I think people who don't post on /ck/ start coming out of the 4chan woodwork to post about topics vaguely related to cooking (fast food, soylent, lab meat, etc.).

To stay on topic, current research has not elucidated human nutrition and I would not put my health into the hands of the dork that made soylent.

Also, we live in a time where we can get ingredients originating from all over the planet for relatively cheap. Why not take advantage of being born in this time and have a diverse diet? It's absurd to drink glorified Ensure because "you are too busy". It's like thinking jerking off is a substitute for sex, 4chan a substitute for socialization, etc.

It's a millennial sort of mentality.
>>
>>7721292
>It's like thinking jerking off is a substitute for sex, 4chan a substitute for socialization, etc.
>It's a millennial sort of mentality.
w
a
t
>>
>>7721292
I drink it for one or two meals when my work schedule is outside of the comfortable 9-17. Much easier than doing food prepping.
>>
>>7721292
/ck/ is food and cooking, not just cooking, so stop getting pissed if people post about food. soylent is useful if you literally don't have time to eat. i've never tried to eat eggs and bacon whilst driving to work, but i doubt it would work out well.
>>
>>7721240
I've started substituting it as my main nutritional source during the work week since I'm lactose intolerant, type 1 diabetes, and have a bowel disorder called eosionophilic gastroenteritis and it's something I can rely on to not cause a flare up and fit into my dietary restrictions
>>
Pretty good tasting and cheaper than fast food. Great for when I need a quick breakfast or am in lab all day.
>>
>>7721240
anyone ever done gourmet or molecular gastronomy with soylent?
>>
>>7721393
nice a lab bro what department of the lab is your favorite
>>
notice how we give a gruel of nutrients to our pets to keep them alive so we can use them as objects to our ends disregarding them as beings?
>>
>>7721402
I'm in Psych/cognitive neuroscience atm. Lots of subject running with no time for real food
>>
File: eggswithhats.jpg (34 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
eggswithhats.jpg
34 KB, 340x270
chemicals mixed together without any FDA inspections &c., created by a failed software engineer trying not to die as a loser, alone and unloved

wouldn't be a Memorial Day weekend without at last one post from a Soylent shill
>>
>>7721410
and this is any different from fast food and all our other processed foods how? I mean the consumer still has a choice more so then the dog in what he will eat
>>
i think that these threads are started by marketing people and i think that its very lame that they arent deleted
>>
>>7721708

It's cheaper and better for you.
>>
>>7721718

>if someone starts a thread about a topic that I'm not interested in, that thread is started by a marketing guy. And if I see a thread about a topic that I'm not interested in, I don't ignore it and find something that I want to talk about, I go to that thread and complain about its existence
>>
My roommate in college did this stuff and he got really sick from it.
>>
>>7721718
This. Why the fuck are Jack and Joey threads banned but blatant shill threads go undeleted?
>>
>>7721718
They are. A guy I knew on skype from a different board used to make money in the summer doing this. He worked for a game developer for a little while too.

Gotta wonder why they aren't deleted. I guess all you can do is just report them and let the mods make the decision. It's whatever, I just hope no one actually goes for it.
>>
>>7721718
i think your post added nothing of value to the topic and it's a shame it isn't deleted
>>
>>7721772
>>7721760
>>7721718

>rather than actually contribute to the thread, or any other thread, I'm just going to shitpost paranoia
>>
>>7721718
i really think so too, just based on how it reads.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 480x480
>>7721292
>It's like thinking jerking off is a substitute for sex, 4chan a substitute for socialization
I thought this was the norm
>>
>>7721321
If you don't have time to eat, your life isn't worth living.
>>
>>7721240

delicious heavy metals
>>
>>7721708
well it is different in that the dogs opinions about the taste of the dogfood are irrelevant to its production, while fastfood is all about taste and opinions of those eating it, even disregarding nutrition.
>>
>>7722093

The taste of the dogfood is absolutely relevant. They people who make it want it to be palatable to the consumer (dogs), otherwise, their product wouldn't sell.
>>
>>7721240
Bay area webdevs are so overworked and undersexed that they would rather replace all their meals with semen than cook their own meals?

By the way, I'm not exaggerating, silent really does taste like semen.
>>
>ITT: poor people who haven't eaten Soylent complain about it

$220 a month is too expensive for EBT
>>
>>7722236
>haven't eaten Soylent
>>
File: 1463997236814.jpg (97 KB, 855x855) Image search: [Google]
1463997236814.jpg
97 KB, 855x855
>>7721240
I prefer it green.
>>
>>7722306
going for the low hanging fruit eh
>>
>>7722104
have you seen the colors and shapes of the food, the image on the packages and so on? you think those are directed to the dog?
>>
>>7722236
>eaten
>>
>>7722433

Yes, but that's not what the person I was replying to was talking about. He was saying that the taste is irrelevant, when it isn't. The packaging could be as enticing to the human eye as possible, but if dogs won't eat it, no one will buy it.
>>
>>7722445
im am the person you replied. and do you think the dogs eat that cause they like it? they eat it cause it is the only edible thing that exists in their environments, at least their accessible environment. or why dont you put a piece of meat next to the dog food and see what he picks.
>>
File: 1456544591428.jpg (111 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
1456544591428.jpg
111 KB, 1000x500
>>7721292
>le millennial boogieman

holy fucking shit you are cancer
>>
>>7722461

You think dog food makers don't do shit like taste testing? I'm not saying that they put a New York strip next to a can of Alpo, but they will test one formula against the other, put them next to one another and see which one the dog goes to. The one the dog goes to on a higher than average basis is the one that gets put on the shelves.
>>
>>7722474
well yeah of course, but you are taking it to an extreme that misses the point. when i said taste is irrelevant i didnt mean that it is not taken into account or that it could be anything. i meant that it is not a determinant priority and paramount element of the product as in fast food. the point of the dogfood is to keep the dog alive, not to make it enjoy the eating experience. the point of fastfood is not to nurture the body but to give a pleasant experience. but this of course doesnt mean that you can merely give poison that tastes good.
>>
File: marlboro-menthol-cigarette.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
marlboro-menthol-cigarette.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
>>7722496

>but this of course doesnt mean that you can
merely give poison that tastes good.

Sure you can.
>>
>>7722509
lol you always have a comeback that is outside of the discussion. yes, but cigarrettes are not labeled as food and one can live without them.

are you a diagnosed dyslexic, schizophrenic or something like that? cause you are switching levels that make it difficult to have a coherent conversation.
>>
File: 1422678465790.jpg (98 KB, 747x747) Image search: [Google]
1422678465790.jpg
98 KB, 747x747
>>7722440
Past Perfect
Had eaten
I had already eaten lunch when she invited me to have a piece of pizza.
Use this tense when you need to talk about something that happened before another action
>>
>>7722531

Nah, just your standard issue severe depression on buproprion. Who knows, though, I haven't been tested for anything outside of depression.
>>
File: Where.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
Where.png
651 KB, 1067x800
>>7721292
>It's like thinking jerking off is a substitute for sex, 4chan a substitute for socialization, etc.
>>
>>7722544

>he answered yes when the doctor asked him if he had depression

LOL faggot
>>
>>7722915

I'd answer yes if they asked me if I had a sprained ankle too. That supposed to be a bad thing?
>>
File: 1359307779625.jpg (36 KB, 390x406) Image search: [Google]
1359307779625.jpg
36 KB, 390x406
>>7721240

somebody already touched on this, but isn't it a bit crazy when we live in a time where you can enjoy almost any food on the planet, including very and junks foods, to replace it with some shit that mad in a warehouse by a failed computer programmer?

Seriously, this is true douche baggery when you think about it for 5 seconds.

God, if I ever have to become a Soyent shill I hope I kill myself first.
>>
Everyone comments on taste and stuff like that, but there doesn't seem to be any clear info on whether or not it is good for you (and to what degree).

I wouldn't mind replacing breakfast or lunch with it if it was proven to be effective. I usually eat outside (i.e. shit) or not at all until the evening anyway.
>>
We don't know jackshit about nutrition, replacing food with this is gambling with your health. Sorry STEMlords, food cannot be reduced to a sack of macros and 10 vitamins.
>>
Not shill, would never drink soyshit, etc.

I find it fascinating that people will say that we know nothing about nutrition and then elucidate in five paragraphs about how their ultra-vegan or paleo/keto diet is vastly superior than all other diet types.

Where does the hypocrisy end?
>>
>>7722959
You could be wrong.
>>
File: 1461473072737.png (54 KB, 185x150) Image search: [Google]
1461473072737.png
54 KB, 185x150
>>7722959
"food" can't because it's an artform
"nutrition" can and has been reduced to the bare essentials.
>>
It's terrible going down. It's also terrible coming out (maybe your system gets used to it but I'm not about to find out).
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.