[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/: Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 34
I'm new to this board and I don't know why there is no questions thread so I'll make one.
>>
Why do people so often recommend brown sugar over any other type of sugar?
>>
Why use both baking powder and baking soda for the same meal?
>>
>>7717224
Why do americans dye cheese?
>>
>>7717227
I believe that it is to avoid the strong soda like flavour.
>>
>>7717225

They think it's healthier.
>>
>>7717225
The molasses content adds a less sweet and more savory flavor, or a richness to desserts that dont base themselves on color.
>>
why can't i push my meat down in the pan with the spatula?
>>
>>7717224
why i cannot activate my chicago pizza?
>>
>>7717283
You ain't got no arms, Lt. Anon.
>>
>>7717285
>>7717290
i hate u pedantic semantic people
>>
>>7717312
i don't even know what you're implying anymore
>>
>>7717302
>Why am I incapable of pushing down a party of meat with a spatula

You were asking for it and got off easy.
>>
>>7717337
fuck you i study linguistics
but what can i expect from a board of autists who only consider referential meaning rather than the pragmatic meaning
>>
>>7717351
>what are jokes

kiddo, if you dont get the humor, why are you here?
>>
>>7717354
i just want to know about frying meat ffs leave me alone
>>
>>7717359
To answer your question, smashing your meat down pushes all the juices out of it.

Thats how i do my scrambled eggs, and they're dry af.
>>
>>7717362
thank you! :-)

>>7717364
next time i'll stick to google, sorry
>>
>>7717377
You can stay, just lurk moar
>>
Hey guys, I'm working on a strange project that involves feeding blood to mosquitoes, and I don't want to hassle you with the details, but I need to make something like the blood sausages in pic related but uncooked, nothing except for blood inside it, and I need it to stay fresh and clot-free for as long and as cheaply as possible in a constantly body-warm condition.

I tried /sci/'s sqt for preservative suggestions but they drew a blank and just asked about my motivations. I'm sure you guys are much more savvy when it comes to preserving food, and hopefully a little less inquisitive.
>>
>>7717354
He studies linguistics, of course he doesn't have a sense of humor, anon.
>>
>>7717227
Baking powder is part baking soda, part double action powdered acids. Both are used to produce "chemical leavening." Why does this difference matter?

Because baking soda, which is sodium bicarbonate, will immediately react once it comes in contact with an acid like vinegar, lemon, milk, or yogurt. If you want a more extended rise then that isn't going to cut it. Baking powder has 1 acid that will start reacting with the sodium bicarbonate once it gets wet, and another acid that won't start reacting until it gets hot. As long as it is cooked sufficiently, most baking powders are formulated to fully use their sodium bicarbonate to create the little CO2 bubbles that rise the dough

So the ultimate answer is that if your recipe has both it is likely that it also contains a good amount of acid. You don't want that acid to shut down your baking powder before it can get through its two stage reaction, so you need to add baking soda to counter the acid and provide additional leavening. I defy you to find a buttermilk biscuit recipe that doesn't call for both and is worth its salt. If the recipe does not have an acid in it, it will likely call for baking powder alone, because baking soda alone will not produce a chemical reaction

pretty good question desu
>>
>>7717230
tradition mostly
>>
>>7717381

What's so hard about this? Put blood in sausage casing (or dialysis tubing). You're done.

If you want it to keep longer without clotting then there are various chemicals used for that in medical/science labs. I can't recall the name offhand, but you should be able to find it easily by a google search. It's typically added to those blood sample tubes that doctors use. The chemical is already present in the tube so that when they take your blood sample it doesn't clot while on its way to the lab.

You might also read some research papers dealing with mosquitoes and find out what methods they use. The experimental setup ought to be described in the paper.
>>
>>7717567
>Why does this difference matter?

It just seems odd to use both.

If the food is already acidic then baking soda is all that is required. The extra acid found in baking powder would be redundant.

If the food is not acidic then the extra acid in the baking powder is needed, in which case baking soda would be useless.
>>
>>7717230
it has to do with heavier creamfat percentages being slightly more yellowed, so some people dyed it to make cheap cheese look more extravagant

alternatively, some cheese molds apparently are slightly yellow
>>
>>7717283
'muh juices released'
test it yourself and find which way you like best, i think it's pretty irrelevant what anybody else thinks. if it really matters one test should make the results apparent
>>
>>7717381
use your body

cheap and effective
>>
>>7717381

this is why we're going to get zombies
>>
>>7717283
You'll squeeze all the juices out and end up with a piece of leather
>>
File: baking soda vs powder.png (28 KB, 934x635) Image search: [Google]
baking soda vs powder.png
28 KB, 934x635
>>7717572
If the food is already acidic and you only use sodium bicarb, you will not get a two stage reaction and it will not rise as much as if you added both. Maybe that is what you want, it usually is not.

Baking soda is also much stronger than baking powder. For say, buttermilk biscuits or pancakes, if you only used baking soda then you would end up neutralizing the tang from the buttermilk. Using less soda and a bit of powder will produce fluffier, slightly tangy pancakes instead of less fluffy, not tangy pancakes.

You will not see a recipe with baking soda in it that does not have an acid as well. Only using soda in that case will very slightly rise your product, but it will have a metallic aftertaste. That's not good eats.

So to sum up, the extra acid in baking powder is not redundant in an acidic dough that also contains pure baking soda because it will rise more as a combo and make it possible to rise the dough without completely neutralizing acidic ingredients. Baked goods that are not acidic will not call for baking soda under any circumstance unless it is made by a moron with no tastebuds. If a recipe calls for both it has a not insignificant amount of acid in it, some of which you likely want to preserve such as in a lemony dish. If it only calls for baking soda it will also have a significant amount of acid, but the desired end result is a flatter, less tangy product than one that calls for both.

I have produced a matrix for you to make this more clear, as I am a visual learner and bored at work
>>
File: baking soda vs powder.png (41 KB, 929x595) Image search: [Google]
baking soda vs powder.png
41 KB, 929x595
>>7717637
here it is with personal opinions
>>
>>7717381
>hopefully a little less inquisitive

Fuck you! What are you doing?
>>
>>7717381
You would have to neutralize the clotting factors if this were to even remotely work. The only thing I can think of is grinding up some plavix and aspirin and mixing it into the blood as soon as possible after extraction, but even that is only going to prevent platelet clumping. I suppose a hemolytic snake venom might work too but I've also seen gifs of snake venom clumping blood so maybe that's not a good idea
>>
>>7717351
>referential meaning rather than the pragmatic meaning
what does that mean
>>
>>7717570
>>7717703
Thanks, I'll see what I can find but from the looks of it I'm just going to have to use smaller sausages and keep them in the freezer to replace the ones that spoil.

>>7717682
>>7717627
>>7717601
It's just a mosquito trap/feeder so I can teach them that biting something that smells like cinnamon is very, very bad for them. Animals of all kinds no matter how small tend to respond when their lives are at stake. It's all theoretical at this point, but I can't wait to see it in action and on a bigger scale.

>>7717584
Effective but not efficient.
>>
>>7717744
That won't work at all, but good luck
>>
Can I cook pasta and broccoli in the same pot?
>>
>>7717926
I don't see why not but a better method would be to steam the broccoli over the pasta water as boiling basically anything removes flavor that you won't get back again
>>
>>7717707
Another linguisticsfag here, he's buttmad because you're violating the cooperative principle.
>>
>>7717381
Are you that one French weirdo on /diy/?
>>
>>7717945
I can't believe I didn't think of this, thanks
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (69 KB, 426x282) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
69 KB, 426x282
Why do Italian-Americans bastardize everything everything?
>>
>>7717970
Short answer is because America is an immigrant country and everybody slowly loses their identity with successive generations. Italian immigrants were still pretty fierce about the region they come from. Like a gut from Sienna wouldn't say he was from Italy, but Sienna.

But as Italians got more and more integrated into American society they started to lose those specific regional identities (beyond Italy vs Sicily which still persists somewhat) and since most of them were from Naples and south of that, Italian food adopted a distinctly pan-southern style, mixed with more broadly American tastes. For instance, meatballs from Abruzzo are the size of tiny marbles, and many Italian meatball dishes end up being soup because they are poor people food and soup is a favorite of that class. But Italian Americans liked their pasta and red sauce so when they became able to purchase a little meat they wanted to stretch it a bit and spaghetti and meatballs were born.

Bigger is better also plays a role. Italian meatballs are smaller, American are huge. Pizza in Naples is thin with few toppings, deep dish meatlovers with stuffed crust is American.

There is also the creep of convenience. The muffaletta sandwich was invented when a gut in NOLA noticed the Sicilian delivery boys would but meat, bread, olives, and cheese and eat those separately for lunch. He put them all together into a sandwich and it was a hit because it was easier
>>
>>7717970
also Italian Americans are a bunch of bastards
>>
File: jersey-shore-cast-now-today.jpg (208 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
jersey-shore-cast-now-today.jpg
208 KB, 1200x800
>>7717970
>>
>>7717567
What does it meant to react in a cooking context? Like how does it manifest and what do I care if stuff "reacts"? I don't know any chemistry btw
>>
>>7717954
what does that mean
>>
>>7718252

In this case it means the bicarbonate reacts with the acid to make CO2 gas. That is what makes the food rise up and get puffy. You know how baking soda + vinegar foams up? Same thing.
>>
File: SodiumBicarbonate.png (3 KB, 121x56) Image search: [Google]
SodiumBicarbonate.png
3 KB, 121x56
>>7718252
ok well the dumbed down version of acids and bases is that acids give hydrogen atoms to bases and bases combine those hydrogen atoms with another hydrogen and an oxygen atom to make H2O... which is water

sodium bicarbonate is a weak base with the formula NaHCO3, which means (in this context) it will take a hydrogen atom, and pop off one of its oxygens and a hydrogen to make water

What you are left with is a NaCO2. Now the important thing to keep in mind here is that sodium bicarbonate is a molecule held together by what we call an ionic bond. When you dissolve it in water the sodium (Na+) has a positive charge and the bicarbonate (HCO3-) has a negative charge. The two charged molecules loosely stay bonded together.

However, when you introduce an acid into this context like I went over above and are left with NaCO2, the sodium ion is no longer attracted to the carbon based molecule CO2, so the CO2 floats away as a gas having lost its affinity for poor mr sodium.

So, in the context of baking, using baking soda (pure sodium bicarbonate) with an acidic dough or baking powder (sodium bicarb and an acid that will give up its proton under certain conditions) will produce little CO2 bubbles that will make your dough rise. This is called chemical leavening and is basically just chemistry. Chemical leavening is typically used when you want to minimize gluten production and produce a more tender, less chewy product. Biscuits, cakes, certain pie doughs and tart crusts will use this method.

The other traditional method of getting a gas into a dough is with yeast. Yeast eat sugars like table sugar and flour and they make CO2 and alcohol as waste products. These types of baked goods require kneading to produce gluten or extra protein (like eggs) to create a lattice structure that will keep the CO2 bubbles in tact long enough for the proteins to denature and set, preserving the bubbles until after baking.

yeast makes the bubbles before, not while, you bake
>>
>>7718262

Not a linguist here, but I think it's like you're supposed to get the meaning behind the message.
>>
I bought some ground beef today. Won't get to cook it until Sunday. Will it be good still, or should I freeze it?
>>
>>7718829
It should be fine, especially if that is within the sell by date, but still if it isnt
>>
>>7718840
Well, it says best before May 29, which would be Sunday. I bought three packages of it because I was planning to do a big batch of slow cooker macaroni and beef tomorrow and have food for the next few days, but I had something come up and won't have time to cook tomorrow.

I don't want to have 3 whole packages of ground beef go bad on me, but I'd also prefer not to freeze it, because it tends to affect the flavor.
>>
>>7718848
oh well you should probably freeze at least one, depending on what you are making. Like if you are making burgers I would freeze one, chili freeze 2
>>
>>7718862
Well, I'm gonna use all of it, it's only about 2 pounds of meat total. I just don't want to wake up Sunday morning and have inedible meat in my fridge.
>>
>>7718879
It will be fine
>>
>>7718906
Alright, just wanted to make sure. Google said 1-2 days, so I was a little iffy about it.
>>
>>7718919
i mean you should also judge your own constitution a bit. most people will be fine but if you have a weak stomach, well, you know
>>
can I use heat resistant gloves to flip things in a pan with my fingers?
>>
>>7719321
Why not just use a spatula?
>>
>>7719321

The amount of dexterity lost by wearing heavy gloves would negate the benefits of using your fingers.

Man up and use your bare hands. You're not going to burn yourself if you're quick about it.
>>
File: mdaop-chicago-style.png (909 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
mdaop-chicago-style.png
909 KB, 600x800
>>7717286
Just gonna leave this here.
>>
File: regular-show[1].jpg (141 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
regular-show[1].jpg
141 KB, 800x450
>>7717302
>pedantic semantics makin' me frantic wanna crash their antics into the Atlantic.
>>
>>7717381
francois we already talked aabout those damn mosquitoes, you will achieve nothing but pain for them with bloody sausages, now go back to work
>>
>>7720743
FUCK YOU PIERRE YOU'RE NOT A BIOLOGY MAJOR THIS IS JUST A MONEY JOB FOR ME YOU'RE STUCK IN THIS KITCHEN FOR LIFE
>>
File: 1430722550808.jpg (102 KB, 633x640) Image search: [Google]
1430722550808.jpg
102 KB, 633x640
>>7719440
>>
>>7719440
>'cago 'za
Well done anon.
:^)
>>
>>7717744
lithium heparin or potassium edta is what is used as anti-coagulants when drawing blood (which is what i do) so that might be worth a try. i know for certain that heparin is used medically as well... see if you can get that
>>
File: madagascar-Vanilla-Bean[1].jpg (41 KB, 550x370) Image search: [Google]
madagascar-Vanilla-Bean[1].jpg
41 KB, 550x370
When using vanilla bean, do I scrape the seeds out, or just boil them into whatever custard I'm making and then take them out after. Is the taste a lot different than using extract?
>>
>>7717224
OP's pic looks fucking revolting.
>>
>>7721234
it's still life photography not food photography
>>
>>7717381
I know exactly what you want - heparin. It is a drug they use to keep blood from clotting. I don't remember what it does exactly to do this but its effects are immediate. For home use it comes as an injectable pen

I have no idea how you would get it without a prescription. Make friends with an anesthesiologist and maybe he can swipe some for you
>>
Can you use oil any time you would've used butter, or are there meals where you *must* use butter
>>
>>7718848
you could do that, or you could brown it, cool it then put it in fridge. it would be fine for sunday's slow cooker, plus if you cook it at a higher heat and don't touch it for several minutes you'd have the flavor from carmelization (the browning process). seriously improves flavor. so there you go; you now have choices, anon
>>
>>7719440
The fuck is wrong with this person? he would be slaughtered in Little Italy
>>
>>7717637
Other fag here. Thank you for your answer. Very englightening.
>>
Here's my stupid question. What is the OP pic? I know that is a red pear with an ant but what it that thing it's on?
>>
>>7721732
Looks like a table or counter of some type.
>>
>>7721732
I think its cheese. Probably macerated(?) or something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camembert
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 640x884) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 640x884
>>7721732

You guys are fucking dumb.
>>
I intend to make sake. Will any yeast do or is there some special kind the japs use?
>>
>>7722168
They use all kinds of different yeasts, even year to year breweries may change their strains
>>
File: mmm3.png (2 MB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
mmm3.png
2 MB, 1280x1707
How do I get pancakes to be this thick and smooth?
>>
>>7717637
>>7717669
You are the hero Gotham needs; thank you
>>
is nouvelle cuisine the best for homecooking in the 21st century

can you be any more minimalist without sacrificing quality?
>>
>>7722721
I mean the point of nouvelle cuisine is simplicity and freshness of seasonal ingredients, which is basically what italian cooking has been for centuries

"no" is what I would say
>>
File: Honey-Lemon-Wallpaper.jpg (55 KB, 600x561) Image search: [Google]
Honey-Lemon-Wallpaper.jpg
55 KB, 600x561
Is it really bad I eat burgers, pizza and wings for dinner every day if my overall calorie intake remains below 1500 and I eat a lot of steamed vegetables with it?
>>
>>7723037
sounds fine to me
>>
File: castiron.jpg (175 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
castiron.jpg
175 KB, 800x600
>>7717224

is there a "best" way to season cast iron pans?
>>
>>7723037
>burgers
just ground meat and marinade, easily made healthy if it isnt covered in cheese
>pizza
bread cheese and tomato sauce, again go easy on the cheese and go thin crust
>wings
high in fat but if the sauce isnt 90% butter or salt you will be fine
>>
>>7723061

Just put a small amount of oil on your fingers and apply a thin film.

Works for me.
>>
>>7723061
I like 400 degrees with a bit of oil for an hour at a time in the oven but that's all i have ever tried
>>
>>7721247
>it's still life photography not food photography
But it's not aesthetically balancing... the color balance, the terrible spotlight lighting, floating void background, etc. are all unattractive.
>>
Was this thread deleted earlier? I couldn't find it for some reason.
>>
Why does organic food not have any calories?
>>
>>7723539
I think it's supposed to look rotten, it's a memento mori.
>>
>>7723037
>that filename

That is not Honey Lemon, and that is not a wallpaper.
>>
>>7723638
The calories are memed out of organic food.
>>
File: 61H1C9CdbHL._SL1500_.jpg (84 KB, 1500x753) Image search: [Google]
61H1C9CdbHL._SL1500_.jpg
84 KB, 1500x753
For those of you that have pic related does it really make a difference in the texture of your mashed potatoes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0gWH2E4lWg
Chef John says here that the old wire masher which I have works great, but that could be recipe-specific where he adds absurd amounts of butter to pot which lubricates the lumps for smoothing out.
>>
>>7722332
rice cooker
>>
>>7719440
you just know pete evans has to be the most intolerable fussy cunt ever
>>
How do I make coq au vin look nice? All the pics online have a rich brown colour but mine came out looking like dark purply black. I used Delia's recipe.
>>
>>7717283
why don't you form your meat before you throw it in a pan?
serious question
>>
Should I make risotto + steak or sukiyaki????????
>>
>>7719440
>H O M E M A D E C O C O N U T
Never get old.
>>
what are some good chicken dishes that can be done in ~30 mins?
>>
>>7717224
>see food on here months ago
>some kind of russia/scandinavion/romanian cheese bread pastry thing
>cant find it
>have to have it
please help
>>
>>7724507
give some detail
cheese bread pastry doesn't sound too informative
>>
>>7724514
I dont know how to describe it anymore than that. They were typically round like a pie. The few videos I saw of people making it sounded like they were speaking russian and it was only old ladies.
IF I remember correctly they used allot of flat paper thin sheets of dough to make it, but I might be remembering a slightly similar thing with this detail.
The surface looked like it had this color and texture.
>>
>>7723956
dunno who the fuck delia is, but there's probably not enough browned flour in yours
>>
File: romanian-food-crafts-34.jpg (311 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
romanian-food-crafts-34.jpg
311 KB, 1000x667
>>7724514
>>7724522
also this texture and coloring.
something like these two pictures.
>>
>>7717381
citric acid
>>
File: lasr.jpg (1 MB, 3612x2032) Image search: [Google]
lasr.jpg
1 MB, 3612x2032
>>7724514
>>7724522
>>7724527
getting closer to what I think I remember seeing
>>
>>7724527
so tiropita
or any other pie made with filo dough
filo is common in the Balkans, you can find it anywhere from Serbia to Greece
>>
>>7724525

Delia Smith, English Celebrity chef and national treasure
>>
>>7724507
>>7724514
Pierogi. And it's pasty, not pastry.
>>
>>7724537
also an inbred piss head.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bop4rr6sUQo
>>
>>7724537
you forgot the OBE and somehow misspelled "cook" as "chef" which is rather strange for an unprovoked mistake...
>>
File: IMG_4234.jpg (68 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4234.jpg
68 KB, 1024x768
>>7724535
Those do look good, but what Im thinking of looks less french
>>7724540

Think more like this
>>
File: IMG_20160501_102524.jpg (487 KB, 1600x912) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_102524.jpg
487 KB, 1600x912
>>7723061
Cook food in it
I'd take a steel pad to it first if that's the pan tho
>>
>>7724547
Västerbottensostpaj?
>>
>>7724551
no :(
If it was Awedish Id remember. This was defiantly eastern European
>>
>>7724559
god that looks good, but not quiet
>>
Fried ice cream, is it safe to freeze and eat later?
>>
>>7724559
>>7724551
>>7724540
>>7724535
It all looks the same to me now, I give up.
Thanks for trying
>>
>>7723870
Yes, but more importantly it's way easier. You can do a 10lb. sack of potatoes in a couple of minutes and they'll all come out fluffy and wonderful.
>>
If pepper is supposed to burn easily and taste nasty why do we put it on our steaks before pan frying them?
>>
>>7719440
A C T I V A T E D
L
M
O
N
D
S
>>
>>7719440
>ACTIVATED
>>
>>7725070
>missingthepoint.jpg
>>
>>7724507
baklava?
>>
File: biscuitsandgravy.jpg (25 KB, 418x415) Image search: [Google]
biscuitsandgravy.jpg
25 KB, 418x415
why do Brits call this biscuits and gravy?
>>
>>7724507
do you mean khachapuri?
>>
File: WP_20160317_22_12_03_Pro.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160317_22_12_03_Pro.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
Does anyone know a good lamb chili recipe? I've been making chili with beans in my small 2qt crockpot and I want to use lamb this time
>>
>>7717224
Please help me out with the noobiest question of the day.

How in the everloving fuck do I make my fucking goddamn eggs not stick to the fucking goddamn pan???

I do everything right. I always make sure the oil is fuck hot before I put in the eggs. But they still fucking stick half the time! This morning I was determined to get it right, used just the right amount of canola oil, made sure the oil was good and flowy and the pan was on a medium heat, all heated up, and the oil was nicely coating the bottom of the pan, but they still fucking stuck.

They come out with this weird, bubbly, spongy texture on the eggs, and the same bubbly texture of crud stuck to the pan.

Normally I consider myself a decent cook, can make most basic dishes quite well, but I can't reliably make fucking fried eggs right. What the fuck am I doing wrong?
>>
What does human flesh taste like?
>>
>>7726275
pork
>>
>>7726275
your mother knows what my flesh tastes like
>>
Delivery drivers:

If I buy fast food online but don't have any cash for the tip, would you be okay if I got an extra portion of fries in my order and gave you that as a tip instead?

Or would you make a note to mess with my food next time?
>>
How do you guys make milkshakes? I have some pistachio Gelato that I want to drink but all I have to mix it with is milk and some other nuts.
>>
>>7727259
that would not be cool
i would hate you
>>
>>7727259
you can leave a tip online. or give beer/weed for when i get off work :) fries are cool but i probably dont want more food
>>
>>7727293
The takeaway delivers beer. What if I got a can of Carlsberg for you?
>>
I wanna eat some fucking pancakes but have no ingredients right now. Can I just grind up some pasta, soak it in milk and fry it? Will it work?
>>
>>7727259
>>7727293
I wouldn't like it either but that brings up a good point. What's the point of online purchasing, going cashless and all that, if you still need cash for the tip to not be a raging asshole?

>>7727349
I would find that much more acceptable... though you can't buy gas or pay rent with beer.

I wish you could. Bartering should be more acceptable in our society.
>>
>>7727402
>still need cash for the tip
But you don't.

Literally every place I've ever seen that takes credit cards for online ordering and does delivery also allows you to either specify a tip when checking out or you can write one in on the tip line when you sign the receipt when they deliver it.
>>
Anyone got any good meatball recipes?
>>
One day I'm hoping to run my own cafe?
Does it make sense to try and get a barista intern-ship or should I get a part-time job at one while studying catering/business management ?
>>
>>7727498
dont learn to be a barista if youre opening a cafe.
learn to manage a cafe.
>>
>>7727498
Definitely business management. And there's no such thing as a barista internship. It's just a shit job for idiots and college kids anyway, doesn't need an internship. Maybe work one part time while you're in school to get familiar with how a cafe runs, but your real education will be in business management.

The only time the whole starting-from-the-bottom thing will work is if you're stupid lucky, in a small town, get a job at a little mom-and-pop cafe, work your way up, and hope to take over from them when they retire. But that rarely happens anymore, unless you live in bumfuck nowhere.
>>
Why are people so opinionated about steak that they'll step into the Thunderdome with anyone who disagrees with their taste, but such is not the case for any other food?
>>
File: 1450560004256.png (297 KB, 600x619) Image search: [Google]
1450560004256.png
297 KB, 600x619
>>7717224
Where should I go if I want mathematically rigorous service?
>>
>>7728039
I'm not sure if it is a meme or autism.
>>
>>7728039
Chilifags are more protective of their """""authentic"""""" chili recipes than weebs are of their waifu pillows.
>>
>>7728110
Yeah, but I mean, I sort of understand that more. Because chilli is usually one of two things:

1. Painstakingly acquired through trial and error, (Read: shit they threw in a pan and thought it tasted all right) so it becomes "their" invention.

2. Handed down by a secretive cult of Scholar-Monks after reaching spiritual enlightenment, (Read: their grandma showed them when they were 12) so it's a sort of "secret family recipe" / "ancient Chinese secret"

So with chilli it's more understandable, rather than with steak, which is one piece of meat that people get uppity about how it's cooked. With steak, it's often "this is best and you have gutter taste if you enjoy it any other way." Just wondering why steak gets this treatment and not any other food.
>>
Question: when using a slow cooker to make, say, stew or a roast, do I need to grow the meat before I put it in the slow cooker?

Some recipes tell me to brown meat and onions first, some tell me to just throw it in raw. Who should I believe?
>>
>>7728154
*brown the meat. Dunno how the fuck autocorrect got "grow"
>>
>>7728154

if you want the flavor and texture of browned meat then yes, if you don't care then no.

the flavor is pretty good
>>
>>7728065
i mean, it makes sense
the identity element of the meal monoid is the empty meal (where the customer orders no food)

but why
why
>>
>>7728174
Well, I mean, if you're slow-cooking meat, it's gonna get really tender and fall apart anyway, so I don't see how texture would be too different. Flavor, I can see, though.
>>
File: L8SGP3_N.jpg (62 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
L8SGP3_N.jpg
62 KB, 400x400
Can I do sunny side up eggs on a pan like this? If so, how do I?
>>
>>7729695
If you want an egg with a weird bottom, sure.
Just put the egg in it, bruh.
>>
What's some good stuff I could make with deer Venison?
>>
>>7726118
Eggs turn out better with butter, from my experience, both for sticking and consistency.
I usually have some sticking issues when I fry eggs with oil, but not enough to break them or anything. If yours break, I'd say your pan is bad. Never had them leave marks, though.

My main tip is to use butter for eggs.
>>
>>7729758
Weird bottoms are my fetish. I seasoned it last night, going to give breakfast for dinner tonight a go. Thanks!
>>
>>7729766
>deer Venison
As opposed to what other type of venison?
>>
>>7729801
Rabbits, wild pigs, goat?
I guess I just go by the old definition of venison.
>>
>>7721127
scrape the seeds out and boil like you would a bay leaf.
>>
File: IMG_20160530_185555517.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160530_185555517.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
I inherited this pan from my grandmother. I assume the black "stuff" around the rim is food from meals past? Should I clean all of this off and re-season the pan?
>>
>>7730373
It's fine, just use it as it.
>>
>>7728236
My colleagues and I are foundationalists.
>>
>>7730373
Pro tip: Don't put a cast iron pan on an electric stove when it is max temperature.

You will eventually warp it.
>>
>>7730379
>>7730398
Sounds good. I've been using the pan without issue, I just wasnt sure if I should clean that stuff off the pan or not.
>>
>>7728046
Then that is between the company and the employee, I'm tipping where it says tip as a consumer.
>>
what the fuck is a flyover
>>
File: dick.gif (3 MB, 412x304) Image search: [Google]
dick.gif
3 MB, 412x304
>>7730387
can you send me some more of your work?
it's good stuff
>>
>>7717225
It has a caramelised flavour that isn't as just plain sweet as white. Also in certain recipes like cookies it makes them much chewier
>>
>>7717287
Because they're autistic
>>
>>7730716
***there
>>
>>7730637
Only if you compete exercise 11
>>
>>7731301
i) The homomorphism beta is the relationship between meals ordered by customers and the bill given to the customers after service. Multiple meals can be added together to form a larger order, and similarly, the size of the bill additively increases - the homomorphism preserves this additive operation between the set of possible meals and set of possible bills.

ii) When a customer orders multiple meals, their cost is added together and so receives a summed bill to the tune of multiple meal bills added up.

iii) If beta is a homomorphism, then:
β(a + b) = β(a) + β(b)

Therefore every bill function:
β(a1*m1 + a2*m2 + ... + an*mn)
β(a1 + ...(m1 times)... + a1 + a2 + ...(m2 times)... + a2 + ... + an + ...(mn times)... + an)
= β(a1) + ...(m1 times)... + β(a1) + β(a2) + ...(m2 times)... + β(a2) + β(an) + ...(mn times)... + β(an)
where "a1, a2, ... , an" are the items on the menu, and "m1, m2, ... , mn" are the number of orders of each respective item.

Therefore each order is uniquely determined as a sum of the values of β(m) where m are the items on the menu.

iv) So long as the order consists of a finite number of meals, the bill will be β(a1*m1 + a2*m2 + ... + an*mn) where n is a natural number. The additivity of the natural numbers implies that the argument in iii) still holds.

v) As customers can now order as many ages of plaice as they like, a meal may now look like this:
m1*a1 + m2*a2 + m3*a3 + ...
where a1,a2,a3... are the items on the menu and m1,m2,m3... are the quantities of each item ordered.

Then, since the meal is infinitely long,
m1*a1 + m2*a2 + m3*a3 + ... = m2*a2 + m3*a3 + m4*a4 + ...

and a bill for this meal:
β(m1*a1 + m2*a2 + m3*a3 + ...)
=β(m2*a2 + m3*a3 + m4*a4 + ...)
therefore,
β(m1*a1 + m2*a2 + m3*a3 + ...) = β(m1*a1 + m2*a2 + m3*a3 + ...) - β(m1*a1)
hence "fish type a1" is free.

A customer with an infinitely thick accent would be able to order infinitely many kinds of plaice and therefore receive free fish.
>>
>>7731422
>i) The homomorphism beta is the relationship between meals ordered by customers and the bill given to the customers after service. Multiple meals can be added together to form a larger order, and similarly, the size of the bill additively increases - the homomorphism preserves this additive operation between the set of possible meals and set of possible bills.
Would the average waiter say this? Also you're misunderstanding what beta is. Beta maps the set of maps from M to N to N.

>ii) When a customer orders multiple meals, their cost is added together and so receives a summed bill to the tune of multiple meal bills added up.
Note that you're explaining this to the average waiter, not a math undergrad.

>iii)
Prove that m = n*mhat for every m in M first. Also you didn't prove uniqueness.

>iv)
Incorrect. If M is infinite, the condition on beta is that its domain contains the set of functions with "compact (i.e. finite) support" on M, that is, that D(beta) = {f in N^M | f(m) ≠ 0 for finitely many m}.

>v)
Incorrect. The price does not fall inversely proportional to the strengths of accents. Again, think about the supports of f on which beta acts.

You receive a failing grade. Go back to being a busboy.
>>
>>7731449
I have no idea what you want from me in questions i) and ii); do you want me to be vaguer? so that a waiter can understand the answer?

I cut out a bunch of stuff in iii) because of the character limit, but that still made sense to me, and I did originally have the full solution in

You lost me on iv) and v). How does M being infinite translate to what you said? Also, I have no idea what the support of a function is, just googled it, but I still don't get your argument.

i'm not a maths graduate i was just interested ;_;
also, why did you ask me to complete exercise 11 anyway, are you just fucking with me?
>>
File: 1445748133662.jpg (48 KB, 397x378) Image search: [Google]
1445748133662.jpg
48 KB, 397x378
>>7731666
Nah I'm just pulling your leg, I didn't expect anyone on /ck/ to actually answer the questions.
The answers from i) and ii) are meant to be more tongue-in-cheek. For example the answer for i) could be "What the fuck are you talking about?"
For iii) if you don't restrict the domain of beta for M infinite you could end up with beta(f) being infinite for some f: M -> N. I was using unusual terminology when I say "support", it was supposed to be intuitive for a math undergrad.

Also is there a way to fry chicken without a deep fryer? The breading keep falling off when I use a pan.
>>
>>7731449
On another note, are you a teacher? Or are you employed by a college to do some research, and some teaching

i'm all of a sudden very interested in foundationalists
>>
>>7731699
Lol, that's an interesting question set you got there. mind if I ask who you normally give it to?

as for the chicken, I usually like to shake it about a bit after dipping in breadcrumbs, then going in for another layer if there aren't enough. That way, the breadcrumbs that are only loosely on all fall off, so they don't fall off while they're in the pan
>>
>>7717351
You must lead a very sad life.
>>
>>7731706
I'm a grad student in TQFT, so I work quite a bit with categories and have a few colleagues in HoTT and categorical foundations of mathematics. I'm not an expert but I've had some exposure.
>>7731726
>mind if I ask who you normally give it to?
They're just for fun desu. Sort of like an in joke in the community.

Should I let the breaded chicken rest for a few minutes before frying them?
>>
why doesnt my cooking prowess attract women so i can date them
>>
>>7731737
>become mathematics graduate
>make mathematically accurate memes about fish salesmen
good life

I don't usually rest the chicken. if you're still having problems with breading falling off, I've heard that leaving it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so for the egg to set helps - just make sure you let it cool to room temp again after
>>
File: 1436236719748.jpg (301 KB, 550x800) Image search: [Google]
1436236719748.jpg
301 KB, 550x800
>>7731752
>leaving it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so for the egg to set helps
I'll try this next time. Thanks anon.
>>
>>7723037
if everything is homemade, why the hell not? but as it's probably not the case.. no (lots of shit in these things)
>>
File: 1463474731078.jpg (250 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463474731078.jpg
250 KB, 1920x1080
What's an easy but fulfilling way to cook a potato? I don't have a lot of ingredients either, so anything too extravagant isn't possible.
>>
>>7731738
cooking doesnt attract women it reels in women youve already attracted
>>
>>7731699
The easiest way to make fried chicken at home is to crisp it up in a cast-iron pan before baking it on a wire rack - preferably in a convection oven.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
Is it wrong to order something as take away and then plate it for your date while acting as if you cooked it? I'd be sure to stick a bunch of pots and pans beside my sink as proof.
>>
>>7731981
Baked with a bit of butter and salt
>>
How do I get a warm cake out of a silicon mold without it breaking apart? Supposedly you don't have to let it cool completely in the mold because the bottom gets all mushy, but it's fucking HARD
>>
>>7732407
When trying to get laid, everything is allowed
>>
>>7717283
it only matters with cuts of meat, ground meat it's not really as bad, but either wayer, you squeeze the fat out and that shit is DELICIOUS.

It's why you're you're suppose to SEAR your meat first then cook it.
>>
>>7732407
Nah. Just make sure you're ordering food from a place she is not likely to have gone before. Don't order tendies and fries from Chili's or some shit.
>>
>>7717744
just want to tell you, you're schizophrenic.
>>
>>7719408
this, it's true. just don't touch the pan. also get some good spatulas.
>>
>>7717351
>i study linguistics
That's sad.
t. linguistic student
>>
>>7730408
it's not clean, that is food on it, but technically it's just carbon now. cleaning it off is not a sin.

if it's cast iron, then you can clean it off with steel wool, and then you have to re seal the pan with oil and bake it in the oven for an hour.

but it doesn't matter. just if it's not cast iron it's there for life.

reasons why you need to clean your shit grandma.
>>
>>7731981
is mashed an option? you can fry it after if you ant to make pancakes.
>>
>>7732755
don't use a silcon mold, spray it with pam, let it sit for 5-7 minute then flip it with all the skill and speed of a ninja but don't flop it, shake it.
>>
>>7724354
I never understood why people think its "homemade coconut" and just ignore that the full sentence is "homemade coconut, carob, blueberry, goza and stevia muffin"
>>
>>7732407
No. Nothing wrong, it's fine if you tell them after, it won't turn into a b-movie where everything falls apart because you didn't cook it. it just shows you're trying and no one blames you.

in fact most girls would find it adorable because it's like "a movie"
>>
>>7732806
But what do I put under it when I flip it? Since the top of the cake is dome-like, when I put it over a flat surface the bottom opens up
>>
>>7718262
>>7718426
That's exactly what it means. Communication is imperfect, so to not waste time we have to guess what people are trying to say instead if just interpreting what they are saying.

Obviously we break this rule all the time, sometimes for good reason. (We break the gricean maxim of quality, AKA don't be a lying dingbat, for stuff like exaggerations: "I could eat a whole cow!" when, in fact, ingesting an entire bovine is beyond human limitations. But most people aren't autists, so they get what you mean and roll with it.)

OP got mad because he expected you to know he was using the pragmatic meaning and y'all decided to punish his poor communication skills by being obtuse. ("Why can't I squish meat" should have been "why isn't it recommended to press down on meat while it's cooking?")

I remember when I could laugh at a joke without analyzing it. Those were simpler times.
>>
File: Silicone Shallow Bundt Pan.jpg (28 KB, 400x355) Image search: [Google]
Silicone Shallow Bundt Pan.jpg
28 KB, 400x355
>>7732817
assuming you use a bundt mold it's not easy.

this is why we had aluminum bundt molds first, the silicon ones are just cheaper for china to make and ship since it's not metal.

with a metal pan you have to hold the edges to flip it, with silicone you have to cradle the whole fucking thing. as much as you can grab, from the bottom of the pan, not the top edges.

AND DO IT WITHOUT CRUSHING IT is the hard part.

you have to do it quick. you can flip a bucket of water upside down with enough speed it won't fall out. so this is the problem a lot of people have that ruins it. you have to make with the sped of a ninja. and hold it from the bottom not the top edges.

it's not fucking easy, but it comes down to timing of it cool, it'll take time, but unlike normal bundt pans, you need a timer when you're calling it, to get it at about 7 minutes in to flip it at the right time. too soon it's it'll stick, too late it'll mush.

so, timing is a bigger factor, if you're flipping it right.

YES, it's a pain for most people.
also, put a plate under it. if that's still too hard, then wax paper on a clean counter until it cools, then put it on a plate, and slide the wax out. the top should be tougher and not stick.
>>
>>7732817
oh and if the tops coming out dome, then just make a divet in the middle of the mold and make the edges higher slightly, so when it bakes it'll flatten out. it's not easy, but making the mix flat helps. it could just be a shitty mould shape.
>>
>>7732817
i have had these same issues before, and figured out how to do it, but then just got metal molds :/
>>
>>7727400
What do you think?
Stoners these days
Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.