[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /ck/, I'm making some knives for someone as a gift.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Sabdehillerin[1].jpg (105 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Sabdehillerin[1].jpg
105 KB, 640x480
hey /ck/, I'm making some knives for someone as a gift. If you had to choose one length for a chef knife, what would you go with? I've only ever used an 8" chef knife, so I don't really know the pros/cons to something bigger like a 10" or 12" knife or smaller like a 6".
>>
>>7716050
how good is your work? Would you sell a knife to a stranger?
>>
>>7716055
I actually just sold a chef knife/ paring knife set to someone, yeah
>>
File: IMG_9751.jpg (702 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9751.jpg
702 KB, 1632x1224
I messed up on the scales on the paring knife a little, but this is a not so good picture of the set I just sold
>>
It's impossible to say, but if you want a generic formula, find out the size of their largest cutting board that they use on a daily basis, and make the blade as long as the narrower of the length or width
>>
I use an 8 inch for almost everything. But I also wish it was bigger every time I'm cutting something large like a melon/squash or even romaine lettuce. I think 10 inch is probably a better choice, it's only a little bigger, but it's not so big that a tiny person would be uncomfortable using it.
>>
Well, you might be inclined to go with the 12-inch, but contrary to popular belief, bigger isn't always better. Many people find 12-inches uncomfortable, even painful. You always see the really big ones in movies, but the fact is, much smaller ones are far more practical and more than sufficient for most jobs.
>>
what about going somewhere in the middle with like a 9"?
>>
How big is the person you're buying this for?
>>
So, this thread is about dicks, right?
>>
>>7716050
12" is too big and not the thing most people will grab for everyday applications.

i would say 8 or 10". going 9" wouldnt be a terrible idea.
>>
>>7716363
I'll probably do 9". thanks guys
>>7716352
of course
>>
>>7716107
Those are pretty nice looking, what kind of steel?
>>
>>7716050
>what would you go with?

Personally, I prefer something in the 11 or 12-inch range. I'm 6 foot 4; a smaller knife just feels like a toy in my hand. Not to mention that the shorter knives aren't as useful for certain tasks (opening large fruits, breaking down primal cuts of meat, etc.)

8" is pretty standard for home cooks though.
>>
Depends also how big they are and how big their hands are
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.