[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is spag bol such a popular dish? I cannot say that I understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: spaghetti-bolognese-19321_l.jpg (74 KB, 614x409) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti-bolognese-19321_l.jpg
74 KB, 614x409
Why is spag bol such a popular dish? I cannot say that I understand the "appeal"
>>
>>7710182

Because properly made bol' simmered for hours is delicious, it's the epitome of comfort food.
>>
Make it right and you'll understand. I'm a fan of this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1502640/the-best-spaghetti-bolognese
>>
File: even_stevens.jpg (30 KB, 576x384) Image search: [Google]
even_stevens.jpg
30 KB, 576x384
>>7710187
>it's the epitome of comfort
>comfort

stopped reading right there
>>
us americans call it "beefy sketti alla dago", and we like it 'cause it's delicious.
>>
>>7710182
I too prefer my ramen Chicago style.
>>
File: 1432760984353.png (211 KB, 331x352) Image search: [Google]
1432760984353.png
211 KB, 331x352
>>7710192
So you stopped reading at the very end of his post? The intended moment for you to have stopped reading?
>>
>>7710182
you brits have such funny names for everything. I hear you call your trunks a "boot" and that's cute
>>
>>7710214
>falling for bait
>>
>>7710229
Bongs naming part of the car after footwear is no more weird than Claps naming it after swimwear.
>>
Spag bol... more like rag doll LOL
>>
>>7710202
>ramen
>bolognese
>/ck/
>Americans
>>
UMAMI
M
A
M
I
>>
>>7710250
UMEME
M
E
M
E
>>
interestingly, chicago style spaghetti with meat sauce features diced tomatoes and steak tips in place of ground meat and marinara
>>
Se eat spoggety bolognese every week since my wife's son loves it and forces me to make it
>>
>>7710182
Its cheap and easy as fuck to make. I ate it twice a week as a kid.
>>
File: F37D7G7HTAMJUY5.MEDIUM.jpg (33 KB, 620x408) Image search: [Google]
F37D7G7HTAMJUY5.MEDIUM.jpg
33 KB, 620x408
>>7710277

This is what comes up when you google "chicago style spaghetti"
>>
>>7710378
thats a new age permutation. im talking classic 'go spa
>>
>>7710182
Easy to eat, tasty, fairly simple to make.
>>
File: 1464055676132.jpg (186 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1464055676132.jpg
186 KB, 720x960
Because most people throw ground beef into a bowl of microwaved Barilla and think it's real.

Actual bolognese has chicken liver, a bit of milk or heavy cream, pancetta, garlic, ground chicken thigh and the freshest celery, carrots and onions you can find. Only herbs are salt and pepper and a bit of basil. Add oregano and thyme if you're a moron.
>>
>>7710378
Jesus! It's been what? Two weeks now with the chi-town meme. Enough!
>>
>>7710391
Fuck man I'm sitting in a waiting room smiling like a retard
>>
>>7711025
>milk
>a bit

The milk is like a huge part of the sauce content. Whole milk, wine and meat juices.

I've never heard of anyone using ground chicken, that sounds weird to me.

Pancetta, minced beef, onions, celery, carrots, white wine, whole milk, a very small amount of tomato paste, salt & pepper. Simmer for 4 hours with the lid on and mix in some al dente tagliatelle before serving. Is how I do it.
>>
File: spag-bol.jpg (12 KB, 300x241) Image search: [Google]
spag-bol.jpg
12 KB, 300x241
Spaghetti Bolognese is the ultimate dish for people, mostly middle aged men, who cannot cook to pretend they can cook.
It is a dish for the plebians who think themselves too good for fast food. The type of people who buy a Big Mac meal, with large McFlurry, after a day working in their fucking janitorial or labour job, and complain that 'the meat is tasteless' and pretend they could have done something better.

It has all the ingredients used in real cooking. Raw meat, sauces, seasoning. It has an Italian name and is thusly associated with fine dining and good eating. It involves things like cooking in a pan and not driving to the Burger King. It involves combining ingredients. So it is very easy for a moron who cannot cook, who deludes themselves into thinking 'they don't cook because they don't have the time' to spend 30 minutes combing pre-made sauce, meat and overcooked spaghetti and to then believe they know how to cook.

They don't let it simmer. They don't create their own meat sauce with their own seasonings. They don't time the spaghetti until it is cooked to perfection. They don't deglaze the pan. They just make a tasteless fucking slop that tastes like it could come from a can, if a can was made of years of nothing but popping frozen dinners in the microwave.

One of my favourite passtimes is to head down to the supermarket and to camp out next to the ground beef section. I like to make a note of every fat, down and hopeless looking middle aged man who comes to stare at the ground beef. I can instinctively tell when they are trying to pick the right meat to make Bolognese. They all have the same look of confusion. The same look of 'I am a great chef, I make world famous food my family loves, why is choosing meat so difficult?'

Sometimes I walk over to them and say things like 'that ground beef is really good for making a reduced ragu with julienned vegetables'. The look on their faces when they realise I am a real fucking chef kills me. Sad bastards.
>>
I prefer carbonara
>>
>>7710182

that's a solid looking slice of Chicago 'za OP
>>
>>7711244
>plebians
plebeians
idiot
>>
>>7711297
Probably doesn't even pronounce it right.
>>
>>7710235
A trunk is a large storage container, like a chest.
>>
>>7711244
I r8 this 0/8
>>
>>7711313
A trunk is what an elephant has, like a butterfly's proboscis.
>>
>>7711244
kill yourself
>>
>>7710192
''Food''
The word you missed was ''food''
>>
>>7710189
Britbong here.

When I can be bothered to go the full monty, this recipe sounds about right.
>>
>>7711355
>not just mixing some minced beef + pork, bell peppers, onion and mushrooms with some Dolmio® Intense Sun-dried Tomato and a can of chopped tomatoes.
>>
>>7711369
Ahh . . .. I have been rumble here mate.

Forget the mushrooms but a tube of sundried tomato purée and you have pretty much summed up my lazy version.

Do you know me?
>>
>>7710231
>i was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>7711244
>Spaghetti Bolognese is the ultimate dish
True. Good post anon.
>>
>>7710277
why do chicagoans do everything in the dumbest way possible

first chicago pizza, and now spaghetti with just diced tomatoes instead of sauce??
>>
>>7711433

>I'm a newfag and I fell for bait
>>
>>7710277
I've never seen or even heard of this. Source please
>>
>>7710202
>>7710277
>>7710378
shitty meme
>>
>>7711244
Yeah, just KYS m9
>>
>>7710192
I always had the hots for her. She went on to do a nude scene in some horror movie, but I'm too shy to see it.
>>
>>7710378
>>7710391
>>7711244
>>7711292
This thread just keeps delivering
>>
File: tumblr_nzofw9toqz1s427a3o1_250.gif (703 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzofw9toqz1s427a3o1_250.gif
703 KB, 245x245
>>7710277
>>
>>7711478
Holy fuck, the irony.
>>
1lb ground beef
1 can ragu traditional
1 onion
1 garlic
Parm
Angel hair
S+p

Instructions are self explanatory

Makes a great meal for like $10 or less.
>>
>>7711025
Stop spreading disinfo. This is the official bolognese recipe.

http://www.itchefs-gvci.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=587&Itemid=976

Mediterranean-style herbs were added due to expectation, the official recipe only bothers with aromatics. Some chefs will add bay leaves to the sauce. Chicken will not often be found in Italian cuisine at all. And if you put heavy cream or garlic in my bolognese, you're getting slapped.
>>
>>7710182
wtf is a spag bol? sounds like something you would get at fazolis.
>>
>>7715834
it's what britposters call spaghetti with meat sauce
>>
I have a question, if I deglaze the pan I used to sauté mushrooms/onions/beef with red wine and then add that to the sauce, do I need to add vinegar?
>>
So this just happened...
I made a sauce for spaghetti and pulled out all the stops, fresh tomatoes and herbs and what not, y'know? So I had the sauce simmering for about two hours and my mom decides its time to eat and puts the noodles on to boil. Proceeds to BREAK THE NOODLES IN HALF before putting them in the water, RINSES THE NOODLES OFF WITH WATER after straining them and then COATS THEM IN OLIVE OIL. To top it off she only puts a tiny spoonful of sauce on the noodles. I get it, you don't like sauce, but don't ruin it for me
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.