[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post things you didn't know were weird to do until
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 7
File: 1439252017295.gif (3 MB, 443x265) Image search: [Google]
1439252017295.gif
3 MB, 443x265
ITT: Post things you didn't know were weird to do until you got roommates.

I put the egg shells back in the carton.
>>
>leftovers with vegetables in them
Apparently they will release acid in to the food and are unhealthy, I dont give a fuck though
>having separate sponge for cleaning dishes vs counter
>keeping eggs in fridge
>keeping ginger in fridge
>>
>>7709959
I didn't know it was weird to shit in the shower and smush it through the grate to check for undigested food/digestive problems.
>>
>>7709959
I like to clean as I'm preparing a meal.
>>
>>7709977
That's not that strange. Once something's in the oven, what else are you supposed to do?
>>
>>7709979
My flatmates never do. I always end up doing all of their dishes and scraping food of theirs that splatters on the wall and stuff off while I cook.
They're from a different culture so I guess a dirty kitchen is normal for them, but they don't clean up and when they do they end up just smearing things everywhere.
>>
>>7709982
I have lived with such people, and I say Never Again.
>>
>>7709959
I put egg shells in an already-finished carton and use them as plant fertilizer. Save spent coffee grounds as well.

Egg shell shards can also help keep slugs away.
>>
>>7710015
>egg shells
I walk on them around my wife almost daily.
>>
Growing up my family put so much unnecessary shit in the fridge like peanut butter, jams and spreads, bottled sauces, etc. Wasn't until I moved out that I found out that was weird. On the opposite side of food hygiene, having cats on the table at meal times growing up was perfectly normal, toxoplasmosis be damned.

>>7709963

>they will release acid in to the food and are unhealthy

wut.
>>
>>7709959

egg shells back in carton is a no-no in my book

spent food rich in protein belongs in the trash, you're just begging for bacterial growth and infection.

even IF the fridge slows growth, say there's some off-gassing or you slop some egg whites on the carton somewhere, a carton is pretty close proximity, and closed quarters. the bacteria hits the carton and spreads onto the other egg's shells. then you reach in and get the unused eggs, bam, salmonella on your fingertips, say you don't wash your hands and you get an itch on your lip, or you decide to chop onions and rub your eyes, fuck m8

on the other hand, how many times do you go rummaging through your trash? I'll bet it's less than the amount of times you go for a fresh egg. throw that shit in the trash bruh.

think of the super-bacteria you're breeding
>>
>>7710019
reddit: the post
>>
>>7710062
>saw this posted on fur chans a thousand times
>If I post it I will be clever though
>>
>>7710062
plebbitors grew up and married a woman?
awww
>>
>>7709982
Are you me?
>>
Drink a glass of milk with my meal. Or if it's hot, just whenever.
I thought everyone did this. It's milk, it's a tasty drink not just a cereal moistner / tea whitener
>>
>>7709959
Eating raw mushrooms on their own.
>>
>>7710023
my roomate puts fucking honey and syrup in the fridge but not eggs (they are supposed to be fridged in europe).
then again he cant cook for shit, his "chili" literally consists of tomato puree and kidney beans - he doesnt even add salt.
>>
>>7710126
When I was around 12-13 yoa, my favorite meal was spaghetti and an ice cold glass of milk.

Now it's beer and steak.
>>
>>7709982
Having a clean kitchen and food prep area is not cultural. There are neat people and slobs mixed throughout the general population of humans everywhere. We are all, for the most part aware of basic food sanitation everywhere in the world. Some people just don't care at all. Some people care too much.
>>
>>7710126
Only white people drink milk I've found.
>>
>>7710212
We heal faster than others. Drinking milk makes you like the Wolverine.
>>
>>7709965
Did you discover this while showering with your roommate?
>>
>>7710212
Hmm. I've heard an Asian lady and some black people say we smell like "sour milk." I wonder if that's part of it, since white people have higher tolerance for dairy than Asians.

But, then, I've hear claims we smell like dog, too. Which I don't get.
>>
>>7710153
>my roomate puts fucking honey and syrup in the fridge but not eggs (they are supposed to be fridged in europe).

What ? No, at least not everywhere in europe. Frenchfag here, no supermarket sells eggs in a fridge compartment, and there isn't even a hard expiration date, just a best before date.

I also knew a guy who actually harvested eggs from his own farm and he'd just laugh when he saw people put them in the fridge.
>>
>>7710234
in europe (or at least where i live) eggs only get brushed, not washed like in america, keeping the natural protective layer of the egg intact. you can store the egg at room temperature as long as this layer is intact, afterwards it is recommended to refridgerate them.
thats why supermarkets can sell them at room temp but its convenient to immediately put them into your fridge
>>
>>7710238
Okay I didn't know about that i'll look into it. I actually always put them in the fridge (mainly because I don't have room to put them anywhere else really) but I know it's never made a difference if they weren't.

I also have an egg white in a glass in the fridge which i have no idea what to do with, has been there for months probably and looks the same as when i put it in. Suggestions welcome.
>>
>>7709982
Niggers?
>>
Eggs last longer refrigerated. I know. Facts suck.
>>
>>7710212
Probably because we can drink it and enjoy the taste without feeling like puking our guts up.
>>
Cracking eggs cornor to corner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixz3E5eG80s
>>
My mom kept bread in the fridge because we had a pretty nasty mouse infestation.

>>7709963
>>keeping eggs in fridge
Actually the proper thing to do if you're 'murrican. The protective bloom is washed off supermarket eggs before they're sold, so refrigeration is needed to prevent bacterial growth.
>>
File: gtfo nigger.jpg (84 KB, 466x400) Image search: [Google]
gtfo nigger.jpg
84 KB, 466x400
>>7710212
>>
>things you didn't know were weird
Christianity

thank god that's over with
>>
File: punchable face.jpg (22 KB, 277x567) Image search: [Google]
punchable face.jpg
22 KB, 277x567
>>7710451
>>
>>7710454
>that shut-in who gets triggered by urban trends from the dinosaur age
Tell us how you feel about this hip new sushi thing, cleetus
>>
>>7710454
it's not 2006 anymore m8
>>
Putting chips in the fridge.
>>
Putting tortillas and butter in the fridge. I still don't have roommates but I noticed this isn't the norm, yet my parents do it.
>>
>>7710489

Depends who you ask. In the midwest it's probably not even 2006 yet. I was in Chicago last year and they're still going crazy over banh mi and there are actual fixie stores. Yes, STORES just for fixies.
>>
>>7710500
breads don't do well in the fridge but they freeze well
>>
>>7710502
Didn't south park make a joke in 2006 about a guy from 1996 they sent to Iowa so he could feel at home?
>>
>>7710541
Not sure, I don't own a television, or a microwave, or a cage. I renounced trashy things in the late 90s.
>>
>>7709963
All of those are completely normal things to do
>>
>>7710552
I looked it up, it was 3 years ago and in 1999. They shipped the guy off to Des Moines
>>
>>7709982
Indians?
>>
>>7709959
Do you put toilet paper back on the roll after you use it too?
>>
>>7710624
Chinks?
>>
>>7710689
obviously meant for
>>7709982
>>
>>7710028

salmonella is already on the outside of the egg tho, that's where it is
>>
>>7710126
I used to love milk too but I stopped because I got problems with tonsil stones. Haven't had a tonsil stone since I quit.
>>
>>7710500
Where would you put butter if not in the fridge?
You know that it melts at room temperature
>>
>>7710783
It gets soft at room temperature but it doesn't melt fully into a liquid. That's the whole point of storing it at room temp: it's readily spreadable. It lasts for several days as well. The idea is to leave out the amount you will use before it goes bad.
>>
>>7710794
Are you american?
Here in italy we use it more as a cooking ingredient than as a spreadable and there's no reason to keep it outside
>>
>>7710804
>Are you american?
Danish.

>>cooking ingredient than a spreadable
Yeah, I cook with it often too.
>>
Cooking.

I've never had roommates who cooked much besides maybe putting a frozen pizza in the oven once in a while. And apparently it's not just me, among people I've worked with, single guys generally don't cook, they survive on fast food until they get married, then they have to learn a few basic things to help with the family.

What really blows my mind is how many people I know/have known live paycheck to paycheck, but think nothing of spending $15/day on fast food.
>>
>>7710233
>But, then, I've hear claims we smell like dog, too. Which I don't get.
Because whites have dogs. Asians eat them; Blacks fear them.
>>
>>7710836
What's it like living amongst trailer trash?
>>
I like my food slightly burnt
>>
File: milk.jpg (169 KB, 640x900) Image search: [Google]
milk.jpg
169 KB, 640x900
>>7710126
I just went through this the other day with a friend. Milk is just something I drink with a meal and my friend was acting like it had to be paired with only certain foods. "Chicken and milk? That sounds weird man"
>>
>>7709959
My mother does this shit. I really do not know why, other than to put them in plants later.
>>
>>7710968
Not that anon, but that really isn't trailer trash nowadays.
It's the norm among 16-26 year olds.
Especially if they're in college. Not because they're poor (even though they probably are), but because parents just don't teach their kids how to cook (if their parents even taught them how to cook). And even then, we've had a lot less stay at home parents in the past several decades so they don't have as much time to cook for the family.
I'm 20 and I'm only just now learning how to cook, and only because I'm teaching myself. On top of that, I know very few people my age that know anything about actual cooking above heating a digornio or making ramen/beans/velveeta.
>>
>>7711748
I learned it from my mom. She doesn't even use them for fertilizer, it's just where they go until you throw them away.
>>
>>7710244
cum inside it a few times, make a protein omelette with it and then give it to a homeless
>>
File: 1439847755602.gif (2 MB, 450x448) Image search: [Google]
1439847755602.gif
2 MB, 450x448
>the people I'd encounter who'd pour the milk first before the cereal

Where does a strange habit like this even come from?
>>
Now I dunno who's weird between us here but one of my old roommates never peeled his carrots
I even used to chuck out the chopped ends while he wasn't looking if we were cooking to eat together or else I know he'd put them in without thinking

I used to also cook with another friend who told me off for cutting off mushroom stalks
>>
>>7711931
Your friends are right; you're wrong. Mushroom stalks and carrot nibs are fine, and peeling carrots is pointless and irritating. Do you peel your potatoes, as well?
>>
>>7709959

eat my cereal with water. autistic roommate had a two week shit fit when he saw me. wouldn't let it go. just wouldn't shut the fuck up about it.
>>
>>7711752
The "no stay at home parents" thing has been going on for fifty years, do you honestly think there was some social revolution that happened in 1998?
>>
>>7710804
Maybe in your part of Italy. My family always keeps butter out. We have it on bread with jam at breakfast.

>>7709959
Eat bread with every meal. Most-to-all Italians do. Pasta. Risotto. Roasts. Doesn't matter what it is, bread will be served with it.
I went to university in America and friends looked at me as though I had seventeen heads because I got some bread to eat with a plate of beef-and-broccoli and fried rice.
>>
>>7709982
>I always end up doing all of their dishes and scraping food of theirs that splatters on the wall and stuff off while I cook
Why do people put up with these kind of slobs. I'd force them to clean their shit (food splatter) or let it all sit until it gets in the way (dishes).
Fucking ridiculous that grown adults still can't clean after themselves. Unbelievable.
>>
>>7709965
I didn't shit in the shower until I was 19 because /b/ made me think it wasn't a terrible fucking idea but boy was I wrong.

Nothing really happened, I just had to deal with the smell of my own shit while trying to dissolve/squish it down the drain, never again.
>>
>>7710126
I drink milk, but it's a poor match for any hot meal. As well as reacting with acids, it coats your tongue and dulls your taste.
>>
>>7710260
Unless you're in America, they last two months out of the fridge. How long do you want to keep them?
>>
>>7710023
Just don't let your cats walk in your food
>>
File: 1464058131784.jpg (110 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1464058131784.jpg
110 KB, 400x400
>>7712347
>grown adults
>roommates
>>
>>7711762
It doesn't go soggy as quickly because most of it ends up floating on top.
>>
>>7710015
Egg shells aren't an effective plant fertilizer, but they will slay the shit out of slugs and snails that try to invade your garden.
>>
>>7710126
>>7711686
>Eating wings with some black coworkers
>I'm the only white guy
>One of them pipes up about his mouth being on fire
>"Just drink some milk."
>Milk with wings? Shit man that's weird.

Isn't drinking milk after like the third lesson in "Eating Hot Shit 101?"
>>
I never refrigerated my ketchup, but now I do.
>>
>>7712217
An autist clearly lives in your house, but its not a roommate of yours.
>>
>>7712440
>niggers
>logic
>>
>>7710502
>they're still going crazy over banh mi

Lolwhat. Literally nobody cares about banh mi.

>actual fixie stores

You mean bike stores?
>>
>>7710172

Red sauce with milk is a godly experience. I still drink milk with pizza when I eat it for that reason.
>>
>>7713408
Banh Mi was big in Minneapolis when I was in college there a couple years ago. Don't know if it's the same now.
>>
>>7712440
How did them being black help the story at all? Why include that?
>>
>>7713559
>Only white people drink milk I've found.

I assume that comment was because of the context of the conversation that occurred previously you illiterate retarded nigger.
>>
>>7713559
Why does the color of the cock up your ass matter? Why do you always insist on black?
>>
>>7710212
>visit /fit/ years ago
>at the time was a hungry skelly newfag
>learn about SS+GOMAD
>drink like 4 cups of milk per day easily
>don't get smelly farts
>got big and strong
Someone please check my privilege
>>
>>7713651
>77

checked
>>
>>7713656
Thanks
>>
>>7713666
>>7713666
>666
He's unstoppable
>>
>>7713651
>my mom didn't complain about my farts so they weren't smelly
Cool story Jamal
>>
>>7714041
By don't get smelly farts I meant I didn't get farts at all, Pajeet
>>
>>7710502
I'm from Chicago and I get hard for banh mi
>>
My roommate always flips the toilet paper roll backwards on the spindle and i always correct it. It's a little bathroom battle that we have but we have never talked about it
>>
>>7710130
This is not weird, at least imo
>>
I always wash dishes directly in the sink but my housemates all use a plastic tub in the sink and think I'm weird.
>>
>>7709959
i put egg shells in the garbage disposal and my roommate went off on me about how weird it was

this is the same guy who got mad that i use wrinkle shield on the dryer because it "wastes power".
>>
>>7713408
Post more chicks with dicks, cleetus
>>
>>7714389
Both of you are weird, I just use a soapy sponge
>>
I like to eat taco shells and nacho chips plain.
>>
>>7714415
There is no way it wastes enough power to be relevant in a powerbill. Maybe like, a cent or two.
>>
>>7715240
Oh, hey, thanks for letting us know.
>>
>>7710172
Underage b&
>>
>>7710212
Europeans have been drinking milk for centuries and are therefore adapted to it.

Many blacks taken from Africa that never drank it until recently and are usually more lactose intolerant.
>>
>>7710212
Because nonwhites are always lactose intolerant
>>
Apparently it is weird to throw trash straight in the bin instead of letting it sit on the stovetop for a few days first.
>>
Apparently leaving butter out is weird.
>>
-Not getting a doggy bag when you have leftovers at a restaurant.
-Not finishing their plate of home-cooked good and just throwing like a quarter fucking plate of pasta bolognase down the sink.
>>
>>7716442
If you did more of that last one you might not be such a fatty
>>
>>7710028
I have never in my 25 years of life washed my hands after cracking an egg.

>>7714389
My grandmother does this and I don't get it either.
>>
>>7710359
what the fuck am i watching lmfao
>>
>>7714360
Dude, I've never flipped that roll...
>>
I always discard the little opaque portion in the center of onions. It tastes gross to me. I also discard all of the skin. Other people don't seem to care, even in things like salsa.
>>
I didn't know it was weird to fuck the banana peel after eating the banana. I still do it, but now I know.
>>
>>7709963
>keeping eggs in fridge
cucked by the USDA
>>
>>7716638
its for not clogging the drain with shit
>>
>>7710153
My girlfriend's family never refridgerates eggs.
>>
>>7710469
>>7710489
[CURRENT YEAR]
>>
>>7709959

I literally got into a fight with my bf when he did that. Uncivilized pieces of shit.
>>
>>7709959

I bet you put trash in the sink too you hilljack
>>
>>7718913

Why the fuck would you ?
>>
>>7719559

They refrigerate them at the store. Why not at home?
>>
>>7719559
You must not be American. In America, they wash the eggs and destroy the natural protective coating they have so they need to be refrigerated to protect against bacteria.
>>
>>7710359
This was highly erotic
>>
>>7710359

Is this supposed to be impressive?
>>
>>7710783
>he lives somewhere shit enough for room temp to melt butter.
>>7711931
Only veg worth peeling are things like swede or beetroot where the skin is actually borderline inedible. Next you'll tell me you throw out the stalk of broccoli.
>>7714389
The tub is a better insulator than steel, it keeps the water hotter for longer.

I eat the core of apples. I did it accidentally once when I wasn't paying attention and didn't even realise. Now I do it all the time.
I buy tomatoes to eat as hand fruit, like apples and oranges. Didn't know this was odd until a room-mate commented on it.
I keep a continuous yeast-lacto culture in the fridge that I originally got off some sauerkraut. I use it for making bread, pickles, kimchi and sour beer.
>>
Piss bottles under my bed
What's the big deal anyway?
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.