[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2
File: rice.jpg (472 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
472 KB, 2048x2048
Do I rinse the rice BEFORE or AFTER cooking it? Pic related. Thats rice.
>>
After, same as pasta.
>>
shut the fuck up lol
>>
>>7707403
Thank you kind anon.
>>
>>7707400
Mixed with bleach to scrub down your digestion system.
>>
>>7707414
Leave troll. I was asking for cooking advice, not stupid advice.
>>
>>7707418
Rinse before cooking it. Dumbass. Do you rinse your veges after you cooked them?
>>
>>7707435
Too late now, it's already cooking. I'll have to rinse afterwards. It makes sense to rinse after because that's how you do spaghetti. Duh.
>>
Depends on the rice, the cooking method and the dish it's to be made it.
Answer my queries three and I'll be better able to help you:

What sort of rice do you intend to cook?
Which cooking method do you intend to use to cook your rice?
What final dish will you make of your rice or is the rice meant to be plated plain?
>>
>>7707454
Uncle Ben's Instant Rice
Microwave
Rice, but I might go fancy and put soy sauce on it.
>>
always rinse the rice before cooking, there should be no water left when rice has been cooked
>>
>>7707459
As I said before, it's already cooking. Too late now.
>>
>>7707449
Rice is less processed food compared to spaghetti.
So wash it before cooking.
>>
>>7707470
that's fine, i never rinse and it still comes out perfect
>>
>>7707480
I don't want to risk it, I'll just throw this batch away and start again.
>>
You have the rinse the excess starch off the rice by running water over it. I normal pour a cup of rice into a fine sieve and run water from the tap over it, whilst swirling it around. When the water that runs off the rice becomes clear (rather than the chalky tint) its cleans. Tap the sieve until nearly all the water is off the rice then place it in the pot and put twice as much cold water as rice (different amount to brown rice 1:3)
The water should be cold otherwise it can draw too much starch out of the rice causing it to be more gluggy and stick together rather than beinh fluffy.

Also stiring the pot too much can realese too much starch, try to keep it at a medium heat and movement at a minimun

When its done cooking, you can use butter or oil to stop it from sticking. Use seasame oil if you are using the rice for a stiry fry, olive oil for italian dishes or butter just for the god damn hell of it
>>
>>7707506
I like butter but I don't have any. What can I substitute for butter that still tastes like butter?
>>
Its hard to recreate butter without butter. Butter is very similar to lard, so fat could work but that just makes it harder. Try using a light cheese like marcapone or cottage to recreate the texture but the only thing that tastes like butter is butter or chemicals that are made to taste like butter
>>
>>7707531
Ok, I'll go see if my brother has any lard or fat in his bedroom. BRB
>>
>>7707531
Ok, he doesn't have any. I don't know what cottage is, but 7-11 isn't very far away I can go see fi they have cottage.
>>
Before you go, what are you using the rice for?
>>
>>7707456
Neither before nor after.
/thread
>>
>>7707545
I said earlier in the thread. I might put some soy sauce on it. Actually, I don't have any soy sauce, what can I substitute for soy sauce?
>>
Nigga are you for real? What do you have in your house besides rice? Do you have eggs? You can crack a raw egg into the rice while its still steaming, it'll cook the egg and you can season it with whatever afterwards, like salt, pepper, soy or what ever
>>
>>7707562
I don't have any eggs, what can I substitute for eggs?
>>
>>7707562
I do have some salt and pepper though. I have a habit of stealing them from McDonalds and stuff. I'm naughty like that. ;)
>>
>>7707449
you dont rinse spaghetti you moron
>>
>>7707575
I already stated that in fact I DO rinse spaghetti, so you are the moron who can't even read what I said earlier.
>>
I dunno dude, sort your life out. If you want you can season it with vinegar and sugar. Kinda like sushi rice. With a pinch of salt
>>
>>7707581
Ok. So let me type this out step by step to see if you think it's right.

1. get rice out of rice drawer and put in bowl
2. rinse rice
3. microwave rice
4r rinse rice again
5 apply vinegar ad sugar (I don't have any of these, what can I subsitute?)
6 eat.
>>
Get rice
Put one cup in a bowl
Run water over it gentle (so rice doesnt spill out of bowl)
When its clear strain ALL the water
Add two cups of cold water
Microwave for 8-12 minutes depending on your microwave
Season it

I have no idea what you have in your fridge so i cant tell you what you can use for a substitute. You can put spices in the rice and water before your microwave it. Like cumin, cori seeds, or whatever
>>
>>7707588
Can you please not rinse the rice after you've cooked it? This will turn it in to mush.
>>
Post pics of what you have and ill tell.you what to season it witb
>>
>>7707599
Ok, that must be where I went wrong because I put the rice in the microwave for 35 minues because that seemed like a reasonable time for Uncle Ben's Instant Rice to cook. What spices do you recommend? I have curretly have the following
1. salt and pepper (the stolen stuff from McD's)
2. mustard
>>
>>7707606
See
>>7707607
>>
I suggest you eat the rice plain and comtemplate the poor choices you've made in you life to lead you to this point. Buy staples, and if youre broke go into an asian goods store they have so many crazy things for super cheap. You dont have to buy expensive seaoning stuff
>>
Ok, seeing as how I've had so many conflicting advice and it's taken so long I'm going to go eat at McDonalds like I usually do. Next time I'll just ask Reddit. thanks for nothing 4chan.
>>
>>7707400
Next, on /ck/ - how to boil water properly...
>>
Good, fuck off to reddit you cuck. They'll teach you the classic recipe of fucked up rice and shitty mustard that you can eat while you watch your loved ones being fucked. God damn it i hope this is just really elaborate bait
>>
2:1 water to rice ratio master race
Raw, hard ricefags can fuck off
>>
>>7707400
For fuck sake the answer is yes
Before and after
Before to get the residue dirt off
After to get all that slightly milky starchy stuff off the rice so it tastes like it should.
>>
>>7707403
Wrong answer
>>
>>7707449
That is retarded. Do you want swollen, soggy grains? Rinse before, Jesus.
>>
>>7707483
Don't throw away rice! You are getting all neurotic. Just wait and see if it works. Probably will be fine.
>>
>>7707539
So just get butter. 7-11 will have it.
>>
>>7707579
Fuck you and this thread
>>
Never rinse you fucking idiot. You're rinsing away the nutrients.
>>
>>7707655
Do I put salt in the water before it boils or after it boils?
>>
>>7707766
If you wash it properly before cooking it, it won't have that stuff on top of it when it's done.
>>
>>7708107
>rice
>nutrients
>>
This thread is best.
>>
>>7708045
I said earlier in the thread, I don't have any butter. What can I substitute for butter?
>>
>>7707579
well said
>>
>>7707400
Now most people rinse before or not at all, but I prefer rinsing the Chicago way – AFTER cooking, preferably with tomato sauce.
>>
>>7708629
Ohhhh chicago way, with tomato sauce... like making fun of their pizza? Hhahahaahha I get it man, I get it. You're so clever!
>>
Don't rinse rice
>>
>>7707400
>cooks rice in boiling water
>rinses cooked rice under tap water

>/ck/
>>
>>7707579

nice
>>
Hi guys. I'm back. I tried cooking rice a few more times when I got back from Mcdonalds and had varied results. Some got crunchy, some got soggy, so i mixed both together and just got used to the texture.
>>
>>7708826
What did you get at mcdonalds?
>>
>>7708640
It's okay dude, one day this meme will pass and you'll be able to eat your """""""pizza""""""" in peace.
>>
>>7708836
double cheeseburgers fries and coke. my brother got chicken nuggets.
>>
>>7707400
Rinsing rice is a meme NEVER Rinse anon, you want the most nutrients don't you?

Sprouting rice though is absolutely fine, just don't rinse it after
>>
>>7708858
dude the matter has already been settled. i cooked the rice now so we can just hang out in here and chat.
>>
>>7708610
A noose you illiterate retard
>>
>>7708866
you, and the other guy telling me how terrible my life is suck. My life is awesome, i get to live with my cool brother now and he lets me use his netflix account. Just because I don't know how to cook rice or have butter or lard or fat doesn't mean my life is bad.
>>
what the fuck is this thread?
>What can I substitute for eggs?
>I cooked the instant rice for 35 minutes
>I rinse spaghetti
Is this whole thread just one subtle troll? If so I'm impressed.
>>
>>7708894
It's my crowning achievement. I spent all morning trying to think of subtle troll and when I came up with the rice idea I thought it was shit. I was wrong, it has provided me with hours of entertainment. It's not time for me to go to bed, so I really got a full day out of this one. Thanks everyone for their participation. - Uncle Ben
>>
>>7708894
Also, I started another thread asking how to cook a double cheese burger, but apparently no none picked up on that. And the other one asking for a rice substitute for a diet was me also....it's been a busy day for me.
>>
>>7708860

what do you wanna talk about?
>>
>>7707400
Before.
>>
>>7708952
I dunno. What are you thinking about?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (125 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
125 KB, 1280x853
>>7707449
>rinse after because that's how you do spaghetti
>rinse your spaghetti
>>
>>7708874
>arguing with a triple double

commit suicide, the gods have spoken
>>
It's like these morons are posting before even reading the entire threat. They are triggered so badly by the early comments that they have to reply right away before realizing this is a troll thread.
>>
>>7707515
your sweat
>>
nononono you rinse it BEFORE to get all the starch out, I've known thisnince the age of 9, if you rinse it after you're going to get mushy gross rice
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.